Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MikeCrotch posted:

Wouldn't doing what your family does on a society-wide scale necessitate huge amounts of people going back into agricultural labour since the yields are not as good per person? As in, reversing the trend of how less and less people are being farmers every year because agricultural work is pretty lovely? As has been pointed out already labor is a resource as well, alternatively if you are organic farming on the same scale (if not the same methods) as industrial farming then you are still going to be using as much fuel etc. to cover the area and get a lower yield at the end of it.

Ag labor is, in great part, lovely dangerous work that doesn't pay all that well. I live out in the middle of flyover country, just corn and soybeans far as the eye can see, and every farmer I know is constantly bitching about how much debt they have to take on just to stay in business, and that's with relying on family labor for everything humanly possible. It's why the family farm is a thing of the past, they just can't compete with the yields that the big operators get driving down food prices.

Which is, I note, good for pretty much everyone else in society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I am a layman, but in reading about the scandals surrounding American pork farms, I read that much of the cost savings of industrial hog farming over decentralized, smaller farms was simply because the company had the leverage to avoid proper waste disposal and the true cost of pollution. Which is how we wound up with rolling clouds of pig poo poo vapour that literally knock people unconscious. I don't know to what extent that's true.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

cheese posted:

I think you are also ignoring the massive numbers of urban poor for whom a plot of farmable land is a pipe dream (because they live in a lovely apartment in an ocean of asphalt).

Finally, a use for all that suburban sprawl garden space!

Halloween Jack posted:

I am a layman, but in reading about the scandals surrounding American pork farms, I read that much of the cost savings of industrial hog farming over decentralized, smaller farms was simply because the company had the leverage to avoid proper waste disposal and the true cost of pollution. Which is how we wound up with rolling clouds of pig poo poo vapour that literally knock people unconscious. I don't know to what extent that's true.

You forgot to mention all the people who fall into giant cesspits of liquid pigshit and drown

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yeah, and maybe using the dollar as the metric for measuring that is dumb. It doesn't factor in environmental damage or food waste.

e: To clarify, yes, industrial farming is awesome for industrial farmers. It's not really much better for anyone else. Even as cheap as food is, poor people can barely afford it, even with tons of it ending up in dumpsters along the way. Industrial farming is inefficient use of resources but results in larger profits for agribusiness.

Using the dollar as a metric helps us understand motivations of the businesses responsible for the bulk of agriculture. We all know sustainable agriculture is better, but the question is how to make it more accessible to everyone, and a preferable option to large scale operations.

If we want to talk about increasing food efficiency and making sustainable agriculture the easier option for every large-scale op, I think the obvious answer is that we have to drastically reduce our consumption of land animals. I don't know how, though. I started cooking shrimp as my meat staple instead of chicken, but I'm single and exceed the median household income in America so I can afford it. I mean, my local Food 4 Less has some pretty cheap frozen shrimp, but the chicken is still cheaper. It is not clear to me how to make it easy to rely on less meat, as it hits on cultural identity for a lot of people. And the other thing is that if everyone switches to shrimp overnight, there'd be a huge strain on those populations, so a veg-heavy diet is going to be key. I don't know.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Higher food prices would not destroy the average consumer - they would learn to waste less.

You just said that poor people can't afford food at current prices. How much waste can they cut? I mean, we definitely need this going on in the States, but there's a lot more that's needed besides for full-organic to be a standard option for poor and even moderate-income families.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Industrial organic farming, especially thanks to the efforts of industrial farmers, is better than actual industrial farming... but not by such a large margin. It is good that they're avoiding a lot of the worst excesses and techniques of standard industrial farming, but they follow a similar paradigm, and many large-scale organic farmers follow the requirements and regulations for organic certification (which is often not as stringent as it could be) to the letter and none beyond that. Nationwide and, often, international shipping also undoes a lot of the non-nutritionally-focused good that organic farming ostensibly accomplishes. How much better is it for the planet if, even if your carrots are grown without pesticides or petroleum-based fertilizer, the carrots end up being shipped a couple thousands miles away using fossil fuels?

The discussion should be about minimizing reliant on the international system as much as possible in favor of localized and specialized farming, but lol if you think most people are going to see that as a good thing instead of something that makes them less rich because they have that much fewer things to extract value out of.

I can see that this is a hot topic (as food-related topics tend to be). Should I or someone else make a thread for discussion?

MikeCrotch posted:

Wouldn't doing what your family does on a society-wide scale necessitate huge amounts of people going back into agricultural labour since the yields are not as good per person? As in, reversing the trend of how less and less people are being farmers every year because agricultural work is pretty lovely? As has been pointed out already labor is a resource as well, alternatively if you are organic farming on the same scale (if not the same methods) as industrial farming then you are still going to be using as much fuel etc. to cover the area and get a lower yield at the end of it.

There's this cultural idea that agricultural work is necessarily and inherently lovely so we've been pushing more and more people into cities. Who exactly is this benefiting? It's certainly not the poor who end up destitute and without work. Living in the country is not really any less lovely or less cultured than having access to the latest One Direction concert or nanobrewery -- especially nowadays with ubiquitous Internet access and international shipping. Do people need to be surrounded by millions of other people and to work in cubicle farms for their lives to be culturally fulfilling?

Liquid Communism posted:

Ag labor is, in great part, lovely dangerous work that doesn't pay all that well. I live out in the middle of flyover country, just corn and soybeans far as the eye can see, and every farmer I know is constantly bitching about how much debt they have to take on just to stay in business, and that's with relying on family labor for everything humanly possible. It's why the family farm is a thing of the past, they just can't compete with the yields that the big operators get driving down food prices.

Good in what way? Why is cheaper better? Why sprint as fast as possible towards the bottom? For a century we went for As Cheap and As Many As Possible and it got us a planet of over seven billion people and a looming civilization-destroying ecological crisis. Why not As Quality As Possible?

Your farmers are bitching about not being able to keep up with the factory farms because, unless you left out some details, they're growing the exact same things as the factory farms using similar methods and practices. Of course they can't compete with the mega-operators who have huge resources at their fingertips to force compliance from the land and to soak short-term turbulence. It's a losing proposition either way. The more they grow the cheaper their food they get, so the more they have to grow to just be able to keep up, and they get mired further and further in debt. Government subsidies help with this but it doesn't prevent the problem from growing and ensnaring these people.

These massive yields of corn and soybeans, by the way I should point out, are a huge reason why American food sucks and a huge contributor to the extreme obesity crisis we're facing. I shudder to think of what it's doing to the soil, especially with the huge amounts of external input necessary to keep the soil fertile. We urgently need better variety in our agriculture.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Liquid Communism posted:

yeah. i've worked construction, i've worked foodservice, i once spent a summer doing research that involved me hanging out at truck stops all day in the southern heat. my first job ever was washing poo poo stained sheets in a hospice, people's literal death shits

by far the worst jobs i've ever had are ag labor. working on farms loving sucks

Brannock posted:

Good in what way? Why is cheaper better? Why sprint as fast as possible towards the bottom? For a century we went for As Cheap and As Many As Possible and it got us a planet of over seven billion people and a looming civilization-destroying ecological crisis. Why not As Quality As Possible?

unless we give away this High Quality Food for free, people being able to afford food is a good thing

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
There's enough discussion going on that I started a new thread.

Let this thread return to the topic of that 21st century innovation, breaking laws for profit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

To bring this derail back onto the tracks of the thread, with all our outsourcing, automation, and industry disruption, people are going to need to supplement their independent contractor incomes with something - might as well become a little more self sufficient. Since they can't afford to live in the city or suburbs, might as well leverage the land in the exurbs where they live to grow a bit of food.

Industry in the US has a declining need for workers. Work is outsourced, automated, or workers are simply being expected to to the job of multiple people. Unemployment is high. Grow some loving vegetables.
In your "soil", which is not unlikely to be (A) garbage fill dirt, sometimes literally; mine is full of broken glass (B) land that was sold off for being the least arable (C) contaminated with the residue of lead paint and other pollutants. You will then buy fertilizer, insecticides, fungicides, because that's what the nice people at the garden store told you to do. Maybe, if you're following the latest trends, you buy materials for a raised bed then fill with bought soil. Then the goddamn deer/rabbits/raccoons/Japanese beetles will eat most of your crop, and you will buy expensive non-locally-sourced alcohol.

Yes, that's certainly the solution. (Note: I garden, in the soil that came with my house. I do my best to use organic-sourced fertilizer and, if necessary, fungicides. I'm just under no illusions that it's cost-effective or low-impact.)

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

unknown posted:

Another startup dealing with licencing and then funding issues trying to disrupt the industry.

Wait..

So they simply resell tickets from a certain company? What's stopping people from buying directly from Flair? Do they get a discount for pre-buying large amounts of tickets or something? They are basically a travel agency with only one airline available.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gawker just declared bankruptcy and put itself up for auction.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

ReidRansom posted:

So they've come up with the ultra revolutionary idea of being a travel agency. Brilliant.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Wait..

So they simply resell tickets from a certain company? What's stopping people from buying directly from Flair? Do they get a discount for pre-buying large amounts of tickets or something? They are basically a travel agency with only one airline available.

Not really. Flair is a charter operator, not an airline you can buy individual tickets for, so basically this company is chartering aircraft and then selling the tickets for those flights as if it's an actual airline instead of a business that's chartering jets from a third party. If it sounds like a retarded idea that's doomed to fail, it's because it is! There's no reason to use a more expensive version of wet-leasing and avoid becoming an "airline" except to specifically dodge regulations designed to protect passengers.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Stinky_Pete posted:

I think the obvious answer is that we have to drastically reduce our consumption of land animals.

...Or any animals, really

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hulkamania runs wild on Gawker, while NewLeaf isn't fair to Flair.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I have content, ironically found on Gawker!

http://gawker.com/new-startup-that-sends-dossiers-on-your-private-social-1781576586

quote:

A new startup wants to take a “deep dive” into the private social media activity of prospective tenants—their chats, check-ins, how many times they’ve posted words like “pregnant” or “loan”—and score their “personality” for their potential landlord. Why would anyone let this happen? Because “people will give up their privacy to get something they want,” Steve Thornhill, co-founder of the British startup Score Assured tells The Washington Post.

For a bulk subscription fee, the landlord could “optionally” require all prospective tenants to grant Tenant Assured full access to their Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn profiles. Then “analytical software” starts mining everything they’ve ever done there.

How many times did they check-in to that bar? What online retail logins do they use? How often has their relationship status changed? Do they partay? That and a disconcerting more gets assessed into a “financial stress level” as well as a breakdown of five personality traits—“extraversion, neuroticism, openness, agreeableness, and conscientiousness”—and the report is sent to the landlord.

Thornhill is aware that some things—like age and pregnancy, which are protected statuses under the U.S. housing discrimination law—can’t legally be used as factors in determining someone’s qualifications as a tenant. “All we can do is give them the information,” Thornhill told The Washington Post. “It’s up to landlords to do the right thing.” Wink wink.

Is this illegal? “Clearly it raises alarm bells,” Seth A. Miller of Collins, Dobkin & Miller LLP, which specializes in housing and landlord/tenant law tells me in an email:

“In NYC, there is an expanded list of categories of people that cannot be discriminated against: not just race, national origin, religion, ethnicity and gender, but also source of income and lawful profession. Generally, asking a tenant about whether he or she is a member of such a group can be evidence of discrimination. [Tenant Score] facilitates this kind of discrimination. If that’s the idea, then the designer of [Tenant Score] may be legally exposed, despite the claim that it is only passing information along. Even if the makers of [Tenant Score], and the landlords who use it, manage to evade legal liability, it should be made illegal. People should not be forced to join social media just to rent an apartment, and landlords and employers should not have the right to view posts that were not written for them to read.”
Even though the landlord doesn’t directly view the social media posts, the tenant report includes “activity times” and whether they mentioned words like “no money,” “being poor,” “staying in,” “terrorist,” “fraud” and “justice.” Seth A. Miller:

“I would think that all of the metadata that could be generated from analyzing a person’s private social media posts would fall into the category of material that was not intended by the author to be seen by anyone but the intended recipient of the posts. That doesn’t make it illegal, but that is what makes it so creepy.”
Tenant Assured is just the beginning of Score Assured’s bold vision for the future. Washington Post:

By the end of July, the company expects to be offering specialized versions of the service to everyone from employers and HR departments to parents shopping around for nannies. Some day, Thornhill imagines, you won’t hire a dog sitter or book an Airbnb without first viewing their social media dossier, as compiled by his company.
There is a variety of ways in which the startup’s aspirations would gently caress you. Some of them aren’t even intentional, just wonky. For example, when a Telegraph Money ran the software on their own people—who happen to post things with the words “loan” in it, being money reporters—the algorithm gave them some negative points in the financial stability department.

It’s inaccurate and discriminatory. And it’s so so creepy, as is everything Thornhill says in interviews, like “If you’re living a normal life, then, frankly, you have nothing to worry about.”

They're disrupting credit checks by going way beyond their scope and scouring social media to create a "Personality Score!"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

WampaLord posted:

http://gawker.com/new-startup-that-sends-dossiers-on-your-private-social-1781576586

They're disrupting credit checks by going way beyond their scope and scouring social media to create a "Personality Score!"

Haven't they stolen that idea from the Chinese Government and their "Internet Loyalty Rating" or whatever it was?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

MikeCrotch posted:

Haven't they stolen that idea from the Chinese Government and their "Internet Loyalty Rating" or whatever it was?
Maybe, I don't know. I do know there has been talk for awhile about "big data" being used to e.g. identify people (or businesses) who are better credit risks than they appear to be just based on FICO score (or whatever) and profitably lending to them at rates better than they could get from a normal source. Of course there's a flip side to that, and pretty big potential privacy / discrimination issues, as mentioned.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

WampaLord posted:

I love how they acknowledge that pregnant women are a protected class and that their status can't be used to discriminate, but says they will include that info anyway and its not THEIR fault if the landlord uses it.

NEW COMPANY IDEA: NotHomm - Disrupt the home invasion marketplace by scanning social media for posts where a person is GPS tagged on vacation in Mexico and make their mailing address data available to anyone convicted of a felony for only 19.95 a month! Its not MY fault if someone uses it to commit a robbery!

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

WampaLord posted:

Wow, spurious correlations are a business model now.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

MickeyFinn posted:

Wow, spurious correlations are a business model now.

Spurious correlations are built into every single job application and rental application.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Spurious correlations are built into every single job application and rental application.
Ya, but there are spurious correlations and then there is this.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Logical progression of a broken and oppressive system.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Tuxedo Gin posted:

No kidding, but at least currently you have an opportunity to sample a large space of those spurious correlations by applying at different companies and rental buildings. In this case, whatever dumb poo poo gets baked in becomes the coin of the realm instead of just the quirks of a few landlords.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Logical progression of a broken and oppressive system.

No argument here on that front.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Brannock posted:

Industrial organic farming, especially thanks to the efforts of industrial farmers, is better than actual industrial farming

Actually, you're full of poo poo (organic fertilizer???)

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

That has to be a huge violation of the TOS for your social media accounts. I'm willing to bet the big hitters like Facebook will lobby to have this poo poo made illegal somehow. Either that, or they lose their users.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Solkanar512 posted:

That has to be a huge violation of the TOS for your social media accounts. I'm willing to bet the big hitters like Facebook will lobby to have this poo poo made illegal somehow. Either that, or they lose their users.

No, the big hitters will just charge for access to the data since their entire existence is gathering and selling data about their users.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so what happens if i never use twitter or facebook? does my prospective landlord call bs on the accounts i gave him and refuse to rent to me? what about if i don't have a facebook or twitter account anymore?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Condiv posted:

so what happens if i never use twitter or facebook? does my prospective landlord call bs on the accounts i gave him and refuse to rent to me? what about if i don't have a facebook or twitter account anymore?

Yep.

Same thing that happens if your credit check comes back with no credit. They won't rent to you. No credit is the same as bad credit. No "citizenship score" is the same as being a degenerate undesirable.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

cheese posted:

NEW COMPANY IDEA: NotHomm - Disrupt the home invasion marketplace by scanning social media for posts where a person is GPS tagged on vacation in Mexico and make their mailing address data available to anyone convicted of a felony for only 19.95 a month! Its not MY fault if someone uses it to commit a robbery!

I'm struggling to come up with how this actually would be illegal.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So... they're like a limited form of Expedia? I'm seeing neither the disruption nor the innovation here. :psyduck:

Like Expedia, but for Canadians.

Solkanar512 posted:

Nah, they're not saying "literally give your landlord your account password and let them share your account" it's a plugin, just like those fun and wacky "Click here to allow us to view your friends and generate a list of what you and 6 friends would do in a horror movie!" ones you see folks using, that are all about data gathering.

It violates Facebook's TOS no more than any other app/plugin that requires facebook permissions to see your friend and post history. The only thing that might happen is FB or LinkedIn or whatever may want their cut.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 10, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

"Conspiracy"

Or "aiding and abetting a felony" or whatever that charge is where you help someone commit a major crime.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

"Conspiracy"

Or "aiding and abetting a felony" or whatever that charge is where you help someone commit a major crime.

But no, I'm simply a humble entrepreneur who help concerned friends and family members know when their loved ones are out of town. I'm only facilitating information that the individuals themselves have already published on social media so that it can be made more accessible in the interest of freedom. I distance myself from these vile and unlawful acts. As I can't predict user intent I can't account for and therefore hold no accountability for how the information is used. Information doesn't rob houses. :sad:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think there is anything keeping it from happening beyond the owner of the data (like Facebook) being unwilling to risk public outcry/bad PR/possible lawsuits and so refusing to sell their (our) data to another company who would offer that product.

OwlFancier posted:

"Conspiracy"

If I mention in passing to a friend that my neighbor went on a trip to Mexico for a week, and my friend robs the place thanks to that information, it would be very difficult to get "aiding and abetting" charges to stick to me. They would have to prove that I knew he was going to do it, just like they would have to prove that a taxi driver who picked up a bank robber after a heist knew he was a bank robber. You and I both know that such a company would be going beyond that, but it would take lawsuits to figure it out.

A significant portion of tech depends upon the concept of acting as a middleman between two parties, making profit facilitating some kind of exchange or service without being actually held responsible for most aspects of that interaction (aka take 20% without any risk or effort beyond running an app). This is just a more intense next step in that thought process.

cheese fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 10, 2016

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Tuxedo Gin posted:

No, the big hitters will just charge for access to the data since their entire existence is gathering and selling data about their users.

The big hitters won't like the fact that their users are either reducing their use of social networks to whatever they think is "responsible" or cleaning them out all together. Beyond that, it makes them look bad for no benefit.

I'm not saying this to be dismissive, this poo poo is loving terrible. I'm just pointing out that these folks have done it before - there used to be a site that would record deleted tweet of politicians and Twitter revoked their API key because they felt users wouldn't like that. I see this in a similar light.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Coolness Averted posted:

Like Expedia, but for Canadians.

No, as I explained, it's not that. It's a company that's chartering planes from an airline that charters full aircraft, and then selling the seats individually like a normal airline. You can't purchase individual seats from the airline they're using, just like you can't buy a seat on an aircraft that's chartered by a corporation.

The Canadian Transportation Agency has now ruled that, pursuant to several conditions, they are not actually an air carrier and do not need a certificate. It should also be noted that the CTA is a separate agency from Transport Canada, which actually covers the operation of (among other things) aircraft and air services -- the CTA specifically regulations the provision of transportation services to paying customers, as far as I can tell.

The disruption seems to be that they think they can offer flights for less if they use a third party to actually operate and maintain the aircraft, which seems asinine to me, but potentially possible if they keep load factors high. Flair Airlines benefits by selling their services (the whole aircraft) more consistently and thus having a higher fleet utilization rate, but NewLeaf (the ticket seller) is going to hemorrhage money very quickly if they can't keep those planes full, because they will have bought all the tickets from Flair.

I don't know how they're going to be Ultra-Low-Cost when they're actively adding another layer of abstraction and expense that most airlines don't have to deal with, but I'm sure they've considered this all very thoroughly and won't go tits up like all but one other airline that tried to enter the low-cost market in Canada (the one success being WestJet, which is solidly on its way to being a "normal" airline, complete with pseudo-business-class, long haul flights, and a regional subsidiary).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I realise that it may not be set in legal stone but I think a company that caused a major spike in violent crime and burglary would probably attract the ire of the coppers and the public rather faster than companies that just exploit workers and ignore regulations.

And having the coppers annoyed at you makes a lot of stuff suddenly way more illegal than it normally is.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
http://www.antipodesmap.com/

Finally Silicon Valley produces something useful.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://www.antipodesmap.com/

Finally Silicon Valley produces something useful.

Doesn't work in a mobile browser, disruption status, in flux.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Condiv posted:

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Yep.

Same thing that happens if your credit check comes back with no credit. They won't rent to you. No credit is the same as bad credit. No "citizenship score" is the same as being a degenerate undesirable.

Actually, people not having accounts suffering negative impact is why this idea (which keeps coming up in various forms) keeps getting dogpiled by lawsuits as soon as it goes live.

You see older people are significantly less likely to have a social media account, making this effectively age discrimination which is both illegal and has powerful legal advocacy groups watching for it.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

PT6A posted:

No, as I explained, it's not that. It's a company that's chartering planes from an airline that charters full aircraft, and then selling the seats individually like a normal airline. You can't purchase individual seats from the airline they're using, just like you can't buy a seat on an aircraft that's chartered by a corporation.

This actually seems pretty useful - I've often wanted to travel between a couple of small Michigan airports, but charter flights for just me would be insane. If there were a small-plane rideshare for getting from Detroit to Traverse City, I'd use it (I hate highway driving).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

This actually seems pretty useful - I've often wanted to travel between a couple of small Michigan airports, but charter flights for just me would be insane. If there were a small-plane rideshare for getting from Detroit to Traverse City, I'd use it (I hate highway driving).

Unless you have 156 friends who want to fly to traverse city with you you're probably not going to get companies like this to bother

And even flying something like a King Air up there with 12 people would cost several hundred dollars apiece because flying airplanes is really really loving expensive