Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

spamman posted:

Just as a tip for you door knocking Greens, make sure you enter the data correctly. It really sucks when you see that someone wants to volunteer or put up a placard and then they haven't written down a name, number or email.

I've spoken to two separate groups of Greens doorknockers and told both of them I'm happy to put up a placard for their candidate. And never heard from anyone after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Dude McAwesome posted:

I've spoken to two separate groups of Greens doorknockers and told both of them I'm happy to put up a placard for their candidate. And never heard from anyone after that.

Probably for that reason. Although it's strange that both would screw it up. I might be able to help if you're in Victoria.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

spamman posted:

Probably for that reason. Although it's strange that both would screw it up. I might be able to help if you're in Victoria.

I see a shitload of Samantha Ratnam for Wills signs out and about, and I'd still be keen to put one or two up at home.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Dude McAwesome posted:

I see a shitload of Samantha Ratnam for Wills signs out and about, and I'd still be keen to put one or two up at home.

Ok, I'm helping with Melbourne Ports but chuck us an email here with details and I'll hopefully forward it to someone useful Edit: Gone!

spamman fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 11, 2016

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

spamman posted:

Ok, I'm helping with Melbourne Ports but chuck us an email here with details and I'll hopefully forward it to

Sweet. Got it, you can edit it out now :)

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Dude McAwesome posted:

CFA management want to sway public opinion against the UFU and are doing this by agitating volunteer firefighters via their union (the Volunteer Fire Brigades Victoria). Both CFA and MFB are constantly butting heads with the UFU because the UFU doesn't bow to CFA/MFB's demands (eg. in the past the UFU has refused to let recruit courses continue at Fiskville, and they've fought against uniform items that MFB/CFA wanted to introduce that were later found to be dangerous and not actually flame resistant/retardant).

The UFU wants consultation clauses in their EBAs, which the CFA/MFB are dead against.

So basically, CFA are lovely at the UFU for looking after its workers so they're waging a misinformation campaign via volunteers.

The requirement to have paid staff on scene before work is allowed to commence has some serious implications for the CFA, the CFA volunteers and the safety and success of operations. It also has to have some fairly significant funding impacts as well. Who is forking out the cash for the changes?

Apparently the EBA also includes a requirement that every CFA unit gets road crash rescue certified. This has some people in the SES worried that it's part of a play to take that role from the SES - currently the biggest provider of RCR in the state and also a volunteer organisation. While I question the fact that such a vital thing as cutting people out of cars is largely in the hands of volunteers, I think there could be some real issues with transferring that highly skilled role to another volunteer organisation with not nearly as much experience in that area. In the interest of full disclosure: I'm a SES volunteer.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Periphery posted:

The requirement to have paid staff on scene before work is allowed to commence has some serious implications for the CFA, the CFA volunteers and the safety and success of operations. It also has to have some fairly significant funding impacts as well. Who is forking out the cash for the changes?

Apparently the EBA also includes a requirement that every CFA unit gets road crash rescue certified. This has some people in the SES worried that it's part of a play to take that role from the SES - currently the biggest provider of RCR in the state and also a volunteer organisation. While I question the fact that such a vital thing as cutting people out of cars is largely in the hands of volunteers, I think there could be some real issues with transferring that highly skilled role to another volunteer organisation with not nearly as much experience in that area. In the interest of full disclosure: I'm a SES volunteer.

I thought the paid staff requirement was only for stations with both volunteers and paid staff. It really doesn't seem that drastic. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
It's only for stations with both professional and volunteers, and it's also that paid staff have to have been dispatched not that they have to have arrived

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Looks like I don't know what I'm talking about. What happens if all the paid staff are currently dispatched and there are only volunteers able to respond?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
DO YOU AGREE / DISAGREE? Let us know. Keep your comments clean.

1. Australia is a young & free Democracy; the greatest country in the world.
2. It doesn't matter what colour you are, so long as you embrace Aussie culture, you're an Aussie too.
3. STOP the spread of Islam.
4. EXPEL the Left-wing traitors.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

n
what is aussie culture exactly
n
n

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'd like to make a point and say that I have no idea what "Aussie culture" is, other than being a racist fuckhead while saying "lol can't take a joke?"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

SynthOrange posted:

Beer, footy, AC/DC and a confusing emotional relationship with the English.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

SynthOrange posted:

n
n
n

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

What is a left wing traitor

like lmao

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

n
n
n

Can we safely assume everyone is gonna empty quote Synth?

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

2. Disagree. To be Australian means being white. Australia is a white nation, founded by white people. This was our national identity until the mid 1970's, when an ethnic minority lobbied for multiculturalism and had the white Australia policy abolished. Australians were not included in this decision. It was never put to the vote, and remains the greatest crime in the history of our nation.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Recoome posted:

DO YOU AGREE / DISAGREE? Let us know. Keep your comments clean.

1. Australia is a young & free Democracy; the greatest country in the world.
2. It doesn't matter what colour you are, so long as you embrace Aussie culture, you're an Aussie too.
3. STOP the spread of Islam.
4. EXPEL the Left-wing traitors.

1 no
2 yes
3 no
4 no

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

btw this is obviously from the UPF facebook page hahaha

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Im defining aussie culture as secular humanism and you can gtfo my country if youre not down with that

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Recoome posted:

btw this is obviously from the UPF facebook page hahaha

Its like what the gently caress are they even doing having a facebook but at least you get idiots publically attaching their names on there for convenience

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Recoome posted:

2. Disagree. To be Australian means being white. Australia is a white nation, founded by white people. This was our national identity until the mid 1970's, when an ethnic minority lobbied for multiculturalism and had the white Australia policy abolished. Australians were not included in this decision. It was never put to the vote, and remains the greatest crime in the history of our nation.

I mean sure, we took children from their families and practiced literal genocide, but that pales compared to letting the Chinese in and open restaurants near Hyde Park.

UPF. Perspective.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

quote:

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has confirmed he has directed the Liberal Party to preference the Greens last, or behind Labor, in every seat across the country, arguing it is in the national interest.

Mr Turnbull said he had consulted widely before making today's announcement, but that it was ultimately his call.

"This is a decision I've made in the national interest," he said.

"The big risk in this election is that we would end up with an unstable, chaotic, Labor-Greens minority Government as we've seen before."

The Liberal Party's Victorian state president Michael Kroger had floated the idea of a preference deal with the Greens to unseat Labor in seats like Batman and Wills.
Campaign 2016

Follow the latest campaign news, analysis, opinion and colour from across the ABC via our Australia Votes page.

But Mr Turnbull has intervened to ensure that does not happen.

"I am the party's leader and this decision has been taken by me, with the federal director, Mr Nutt," he said.

"The decision has been under consideration for some time, there have been many discussions about it, a lot of consultation with the state divisions and with colleagues."

However, Mr Turnbull would not say where the Liberals would preference the Nick Xenophon Team which is posing a threat to his party in South Australia.

With pre-poll voting starting on Tuesday, parties are starting to reveal preference deals and how they will direct Australians to vote on July 2.

Yes, chaos like the lowest rate of passing legislation in Australian history... No, wait...

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Starshark posted:

Yes, chaos like the lowest rate of passing legislation in Australian history... No, wait...

You can strip out everything else he said past the opening statement.

Just like ewe2 said, this election is about damaging the credibility of anyone not lib/lab

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Albo told me the Libs and greens are working together, Albo wouldn't lie to me, he's the true heart of the progressive labor party

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think the ABC is on LSD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ctmhz5J3Cis

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Solemn Sloth posted:

Albo told me the Libs and greens are working together, Albo wouldn't lie to me, he's the true heart of the progressive labor party

don't talk to scabs

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

However, Mr Turnbull would not say where the Liberals would preference the Nick Xenophon Team which is posing a threat to his party in South Australia.

Sounds like a NXT Liberal Minority Government is being prepared.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dun dun dunnnn

tithin posted:

You can strip out everything else he said past the opening statement.

Just like ewe2 said, this election is about damaging the credibility of anyone not lib/lab

And just to underline that, Labor is preferencing Libs over Nats which is a quid pro quo for the Greens preferencing. So much for the Coalition when Libs are threatened, hey.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 12, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

lol Libs/Labor working together for realsies

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
What about the dirty Lib/Green deal though?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

She's not wrong, though.

Of course, not for the reason she thinks.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Recoome posted:

It gets better

The Liberal party will get Labor preferences in three rural seats to help fend off threats from Nationals candidates as part of a deal in which the Liberals will preference Labor ahead of the Greens in inner-city seats where those preferences would have given the Greens a chance of defeating Labor MPs.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hmmm yes this sure makes me want to ensure my preferences flow through to the Australian Labor Party in the senate.

LibertyCat
Mar 5, 2016

by WE B Bourgeois
Major Party's

Oh this av is glorious, ty.

I WANNA BE A TWINK
Mar 27, 2016

Recoome posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...612-gphaqu.html

Upset because the Greens didn't get the deal they wanted with the Libs?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

It gets better

The Liberal party will get Labor preferences in three rural seats to help fend off threats from Nationals candidates as part of a deal in which the Liberals will preference Labor ahead of the Greens in inner-city seats where those preferences would have given the Greens a chance of defeating Labor MPs.

It's nice they did that just in case anyone thought there was a difference between voting Liberal or Labor anymore.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

DancingShade posted:

It's nice they did that just in case anyone thought there was a difference between voting Liberal or Labor anymore.

Atleast one will, maybe protect penalty rates

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I WANNA BE A TWINK posted:

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...612-gphaqu.html

Upset because the Greens didn't get the deal they wanted with the Libs?

Lol I think the guy who wrote that article is about as far from the mark as anyone could be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

That's what the party machine men and women who negotiate these complex preference deals do. And yes, the Greens get down and dirty like everyone else.

In fact, the Greens believed they had a good chance of winning Liberal preferences in their target inner-city seats – in exchange for damaging the ALP by running open preference tickets in the outer suburbs to boost the Liberals – as recently as last Wednesday.

I still have yet to see literally any evidence that this is true

• Locked thread