Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mossyfisk posted:

Talking to your past lives is 100% not a thing sane people do in AWOT

You can talk to dead people, so long as you go to Dead People Land, so that's fine. But LTT isn't dead, he is Rand Al'Thor. He is talking to himself. It's exactly as reasonable as Rand having a one sided conversation with Jesus while his court looks on.

If he was the reincarnation of Jesus and Jesus was telling him things he did not already know somehow then sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

No, it's more like if Jesus didn't believe he was Jesus, so he imagined that he was hearing Jesus' voice as an explanation for why he knew all of the Jesus secrets.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I like that I suppressed or skimmed over most of the spanking stuff my first reading of the series. Now everything is ruined.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Data Graham posted:

Is there any kind of insight anywhere into which parts of the final three were by Jordan, and how far along they were?

I found myself looking for the abrupt tone break in the Epilogue, but couldn't really find it. Clearly most of the Epilogue was new stuff, because it's full of Sanderson constructs like "the body in his arms was so heavy"

Sanderson has made some comments on certain sections that were 100% him and sections that were 100% Jordan on twitter and at some conventions, but I don't think we'll ever know everything exactly.

The Aelfinn and Eelfinn section at the end of ToM was 100% Jordan, the epilogue was like 98% Jordan, a huge chunk of each book's prologue (including the super good scene in ToM in the borderlands), and etc were Jordan. There's more as well but those are the ones off the top of my head that were almost entirely him, instead of concepts, sentences, or paragraphs that needed to get turned into chapters by Sanderson.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The bulk of the epilogue was Jordan, it's just that it's basically a first draft that he set down as the target he wanted to hit at the very end. Brandon and Harriet inserted it mostly as-is (I believe a bit of Loial and most/all of Perrin was inserted as Brandon's work) out of respect for essentially Jordan's last words in the series instead of editing for language.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I thought the Aelfinn/Eelfinn section was 100% Sanderson, with him saying that what he understood from how Moiraine would come back didn't seem to make sense and would have been really confusing or something? I seem to remember reading something like this and thinking that that entire section seemed a bit out of place with the rest of the book even then.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

I... guess? I mean I can certainly see him interpreting that as a threat, and the whole situation looking like everybody ganging up on him and all his suspicions about Aes Sedai coming true. Uncontrollable rage borne from madness ought to involve more non-sequiturs, I'd think. This just sounds like he's justifiably pissed. This happens all the time in real life.

Or maybe I just know a lot of insane people

Sounds to me like he's just trying to make logical sense of the information he has available to him. How else would I react in this situation? Do I put my foot down and say "this voice in my head is a delusion", no matter what evidence I have that it isn't? If I remember that I do have evidence that it's real, do I dismiss it? What does a sane man do in this situation, in a universe in which LTT is known to be a real thing that can exist in a person's head?

BTW since I have all the ebooks, please feel free to request quotes, I'll be happy to c/p.

This is actually why it's such a good literary representation of actual insanity. The mind is really good at rationalizing and insane people typically have great difficulty reaching realizing that they're insane; the mind rationalizes it all and fits it all together. From the outside it appears all non sequiturs, but it makes internal sense.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Torrannor posted:

I can't recall that at all, but I now remember that most of the Wise Ones spanked her when she revealed that she was not a full Aes Sedai. I must have simply suppressed that memory. It really is worse than I thought :(

That's a hell of a chapter to tune out, it's like 60 pages long

Egwene all building dumbledore's army

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Every author had to start somewhere.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I'm disappointed that the WOT wiki doesn't have a section on spanking.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's practically its own character.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, well, probably doesn't help that the person who maintained it for a while is an ur-feminist who puts robocops to shame. That was one aspect of the series she was all too happy to pointedly ignore.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

socialsecurity posted:

If he was the reincarnation of Jesus

"If"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

How does an ur-feminist in the modern era become a WoT fan?

Between the Seanchan and the gender-binary/male redemption stuff, seems like it would be kryptonite.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Ties into the "well, it was very progressive for when it came out.." line of thought. In addition to maintaining the FAQ she also did the re-read at tor.com for the WoT series (and is now doing a re-re-read, because....because). She's mellowed out in the last few years, but her earlier entries were pretty rant-y.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

OAquinas posted:

Ties into the "well, it was very progressive for when it came out.." line of thought. In addition to maintaining the FAQ she also did the re-read at tor.com for the WoT series (and is now doing a re-re-read, because....because). She's mellowed out in the last few years, but her earlier entries were pretty rant-y.

She's also a terrible writer, even after however many years doing commentary she still comes across as a meme-obsessed teenager.
I hesitate to say she has terrible opinions, because I actually agree with some of what she says, but it just stuns me that she can muster up the energy to get so annoyed about things in a fantasy not real made up world

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Data Graham posted:

How does an ur-feminist in the modern era become a WoT fan?

Between the Seanchan and the gender-binary/male redemption stuff, seems like it would be kryptonite.

While Jordan may frequently fail in his writing of women (*sniff*tug*smooth* etc.), there is a lot of good in the basic structure of his work. Women are everywhere, from lowly servants to the most powerful good and bad guys/gals, and everywhere in between. Especially after the first book, the series smashes the Bechdel test. Compare this to the Lord of the Rings, which has only one real female character (Eowyn), and his contemporaries were only marginally better. See the Sword of Truth books. Or compare it to Harry Potter. Hermione is on equal grounds with the guys (more or less). But McGonagall is clearly not as important as Dumbledore and Snape, or the various teachers that turn out to be bad guys later. Bellatrix is also more or less the token female villain.

The Seanchan also probably shouldn't be a problem for feminists? The succession is at least enatic-cognatic, if not outright enatic (like Andor). And (free) women are even less restricted than basically everywhere else, since they can absolutely join the military without anybody finding this strange, and can raise to the highest ranks. Without having to give up marriage like the Maidens in the only other culture with female warriors. Of course, they practice slavery, which is really horrible. But the only gender-specific difference here is that they kill male channelers on sight while enslaving female channelers. And if the A'dam would work on men as well as on women, they would probably enslave the men just like the women, at least after Saidin is clean.

And the women are not defined by their relationship to the men. Egwene leads the Aes Sedai, Aviendha is important among the Wise Ones, Elayne is queen in her own right and outright rejects Rand giving her the throne of Andor. Nynaeve is also independent of Lan, Moiraine's relationship with Thom clearly is less important to her than her deal with Rand. Myn is an edge case, but even she creates a niche for herself apart from being Rand's girlfriend. Same deal with the Forsaken, except for Lanfear, of course. But in the end, even she was quite content to try and kill Rand.

So in total, there's a lot that Wheel of Time does right, some things it does better than many other mainstream fantasy series do. Jordan also does things wrong. In addition to having trouble writing women as anything but controlling bitches, the spanking doesn't help. But overall, especially for the time that it was written, it shouldn't be kryptonite to feminists.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
my current read through has stalled out at book 8 (I may just skip ahead to 11, and not miss much), but I wanted to ask the thread what they thought about the Sea Folk in general and the Coramoor thing too; in short, they both feel tacked on - the Sea Folk seemed like a bit of world-flavor that got fleshed out seemingly for no reason, and I don't actually remember the Coramoor thing going anywhere at all.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

It doesn't. The Sea Folk are basically terrible, and they never amount to more than a floating migraine and weather plot device.

I'd say to power through if you can. Book 9 has some great stuff happening towards the end, and book 10 is pretty short (as WoT goes) and it isn't terrible when read back-to-back with the others. Book 11 is a return to great form.

If you want a way to speed through, just skip the chapter if it has the word "Perrin" or "Malden" in it. Goddamn those sucked.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Gotta have someone to sit in a circle around their magic cauldron up on top of the mountain going DOUBLE DOUBLE TOIL AND TROUBLE

E: sorry spoilers

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OAquinas posted:

If you want a way to speed through, just skip the chapter if it has the word "Perrin" or "Malden" in it. Goddamn those sucked.

One thing I found annoying in particular about the narrative is how many seemingly important, the-whole-plot-hinges-on-this events seem to take place offscreen. The whole thing about poisoning the water supply, telegraphed as far ahead as the first time you see the aqueduct on the town map, was set up like it was going to have this great big dramatic payoff, both in an action-movie scene of the deed being done and in subsequent scenes of the victims reacting to it. But there's barely anything. You could miss the whole thing if you're reading carelessly. But god drat if we don't get about six times as many Faile chapters as we needed

Same with frickin' Couladin. Make him the most punchable character in decades, tease his comeuppance for like two books, make us all think we're gonna get a great showdown scene where Rand totally clowns him... and then kill him off in a flashback by basically tripping over Mat's spear when even Mat wasn't really paying attention

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

While Jordan may frequently fail in his writing of women (*sniff*tug*smooth* etc.), there is a lot of good in the basic structure of his work. Women are everywhere, from lowly servants to the most powerful good and bad guys/gals, and everywhere in between. Especially after the first book, the series smashes the Bechdel test. Compare this to the Lord of the Rings, which has only one real female character (Eowyn), and his contemporaries were only marginally better. See the Sword of Truth books. Or compare it to Harry Potter. Hermione is on equal grounds with the guys (more or less). But McGonagall is clearly not as important as Dumbledore and Snape, or the various teachers that turn out to be bad guys later. Bellatrix is also more or less the token female villain.

The Wheel of Time crushes pretty much every fantasy series in this aspect, modern or not. Hell, just try and think of female characters who actually have a bit of characterization to them past "girl who Harry crushes on" or the like:

Harry Potter(8): Hermione, McGonagall, Bellatrix, Umbridge, Luna, Weasley Mom, Umbridge, shapeshifter chick who married the werewolf
LotR (1): Eowyn.
Abercrombie (3): Monza, the red-headed Practical, Ferro
GRRM(7): Brienne, Catelyn, Cersei, Sansa, Arya, Dany, Theon's sister, the Tyrell grandma.
Scott Lynch(3): The Duke's Spider, Locke's love interest, Falconer's mother

WoT(31+): Egwene, Moiraine, Nynaeve, Elayne, Siuan, Verin, Birgitte, Elaida, Lanfear, Moghedien, Graendel, Mesaana, Semirhage, Tuon, Suroth, Min, Faile, Surin, Aviendha, Amys, Bair, Sorilea, Cadsuane, Morgase, Alviarin, Galina, Sevanna, Reanne, Sheriam, Lelaine, Romanda...

And that's not even close to all of them. Yeah, WoT does have a big advantage because it's so huge and sprawling that it just plain has more characters, but it persists even as a ratio. WoT has at least as many female characters as male characters; almost certainly more female ones due to the Aes Sedai, and most of those characters exist as more than "Friend's mom" or "Hero's love interest".

It's easy to forget about this with the hosed up gender politics and the whole redemption-of-male-channelers thing, but WoT still deserves credit just for that whole thing where it actually has female characters. Most other series in the genre don't even come close to a 1:1 ratio. Hell, most can't manage 1:2 and lots of them still strike out at 1:3.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, well, probably doesn't help that the person who maintained it for a while is an ur-feminist who puts robocops to shame. That was one aspect of the series she was all too happy to pointedly ignore.

Leigh Butler did not ignore the spanking, she complained about it repeatedly during her re-read to the point where it's been suggested that the scene where cadsuane broke semhirage with spanking was written specifically by Sanderson to gently caress with her.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Lord Bude posted:

Leigh Butler did not ignore the spanking, she complained about it repeatedly during her re-read to the point where it's been suggested that the scene where cadsuane broke semhirage with spanking was written specifically by Sanderson to gently caress with her.

Sanderson was definitely laughing his rear end off as he wrote that scene.

Like, rolling up his sleeves, rubbing his hands, and shouting TAKE THIS YOU JACKHOLES into the night as he began to type.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Torrannor posted:

The Seanchan also probably shouldn't be a problem for feminists? The succession is at least enatic-cognatic, if not outright enatic (like Andor). And (free) women are even less restricted than basically everywhere else, since they can absolutely join the military without anybody finding this strange, and can raise to the highest ranks. Without having to give up marriage like the Maidens in the only other culture with female warriors. Of course, they practice slavery, which is really horrible. But the only gender-specific difference here is that they kill male channelers on sight while enslaving female channelers. And if the A'dam would work on men as well as on women, they would probably enslave the men just like the women, at least after Saidin is clean.

Well um, I mean the Seanchan aren't a problem because of their politics.

It's more just that there's a whole ooky factor to the general idea of damane, and not for purely diegetic reasons. I mean like, yes you're supposed to react with revulsion to the idea of women on leashes being treated like literal dogs because in-universe it's a horrific thing for these people to do. But on another level, you have to ask "Why exactly did he feel it necessary to write about this?" I mean it's not like it's an inevitable logical extrapolation of his universe's rules, and even if it were, he didn't need to spend so much time focusing so graphically on it.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I wouldn't be surprised if it was intended to evoke the draft, as well.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Data Graham posted:

I mean it's not like it's an inevitable logical extrapolation of his universe's rules, and even if it were, he didn't need to spend so much time focusing so graphically on it.

What, 'channelers in this nation are enslaved and treated like animals because they think they're dangerous' isn't a logical extrapolation of 'people in every nation are really loving terrified of male channelers, and marginally less of female channelers, because they literally destroyed the world' and 'someone in this nation figured out a way to enslave female channelers'? Maybe some people think it was focused on too much, but I feel like it's perfectly in tune with the story. This focus gave a bunch of characters some important traits (Egwene as an important example), gave some antagonists sympathetic events so that they're not just cartoonishly evil, and is a logical extension of one of the major conflicts in the book.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Fine, but my point is that it's a very tasteless and fetishy mental image, and the choice to dwell on it so much is a deliberate one.

This discussion feels like the argument over whether the "Smell the Glove" cover was out of line.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Data Graham posted:

the choice to dwell on it so much is a deliberate one.
Sure

Data Graham posted:

but my point is that it's a very tasteless and fetishy mental image
Maybe, but it is consistently framed as horrific, and eternally 'other' to the cultural perspectives (at least) of the core cast of characters - so it's kind of hard to afford it even a tasteless-but-interesting-in-the-right-shade reading

e: even when Nynaeve and Elayne are partaking in some pseudo-slavery their intuitive reactions to the device and it's effects are those of revulsion (morally suspect as their own actions may be)

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 17, 2016

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Data Graham posted:

Fine, but my point is that it's a very tasteless and fetishy mental image, and the choice to dwell on it so much is a deliberate one.

This discussion feels like the argument over whether the "Smell the Glove" cover was out of line.

Maybe you're the one dwelling on it

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
it's a fantasy series, so bob put his fantasies in it

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hogge Wild posted:

it's a fantasy series, so bob put his fantasies in it

That was pretty much his exact wording when asked if he thought having three women in love with his protagonist, all friends with each other, was realistic.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That was pretty much his exact wording when asked if he thought having three women in love with his protagonist, all friends with each other, was realistic.

*Insert story about him dating two women at the same time here*

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Data Graham posted:

My dude you are projecting a lot here.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So aaaaanyway, what's the consensus on the oddball textual flourishes in the first couple books, like the deja vu scenes in the abandoned town, or the much subtler one in book 1 where two separate guys give them two identical sets of scarves with identical wording? Were those foreshadowing of madness (even though he's barely started channeling by that point)?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Data Graham posted:

So aaaaanyway, what's the consensus on the oddball textual flourishes in the first couple books, like the deja vu scenes in the abandoned town, or the much subtler one in book 1 where two separate guys give them two identical sets of scarves with identical wording? Were those foreshadowing of madness (even though he's barely started channeling by that point)?

I'm pretty sure the bit in book one is just a bit of out of order narrative. I think it's meant to be a flashback-flashforward type thing but it doesn't quite work.

The deja vu stuff in Book 2 seems like the explanation is "a wizard did it."

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I always assumed that the deja vu thing was ishamael loving around in the world of dreams before Jordan had a concrete idea of how to use the world of dreams. I think that's actually mentioned in a later book.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Could also be Mordeth/Fain doing...things. he's shown to have some funky illusion power later, so it could be his doing. Early books=lot of retcon/ignored later stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The deja vu stuff in Book 2 seems like the explanation is "a wizard did it."

It was confirmed to be a sort of time loop trap set up by Fain.

I honestly think a lot of the "early book retcon" stuff is mistaken, on the part of the fans. The early smiling Fade for example is obviously an early version Shaidar Haran, just like the one that shows up in the prologue to TDR.

Link

Uhhh. so yeah. a wizzard did it.

Blind Melon fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jun 18, 2016

• Locked thread