Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

To be fair, they have read your posting history.

Oh lol I didn't realize you were that butthurt. Also for those arzying over PA it's four months plus till the election . Trump has plenty of time to say something horrible and go down to 37 percent.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where the flags at?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2016/06/21/3790715/weird-story-behind-trump-campaigns-35000-payment-draper-sterling-advertising/

quote:

On Monday night, the Trump campaign filed its monthly Federal Election Commission campaign disclosure report for May. The headline was that his fundraising was anemic and he finished the month with just $1.3 million on hand, a pittance for a presidential nominee.

But buried in Trump’s 1699-page report was something much weirder. The Trump campaign made $35,000 in payments to an entity called “Draper Sterling” for “web advertising.” Three $10,000 payments and one $5,000 payment were placed on the campaign’s American Express card on the same day.

Draper and Sterling, of course, are the fictional names of the two lead characters in Mad Men, the hit AMC show about advertising.

Draper Sterling was registered with the New Hampshire Secretary of State to Jon Adkins, the co-founder of a medical device startup. Its headquarters is Adkins’ home address in residential New Hampshire.

Adkins co-founded the medical device company with Paul Holzer, a former Navy Seal and current medical student at Dartmouth. Holzer was involved in Charlie Baker’s run for governor in 2014 — he ran the campaign’s “voter contact strategy.” He was also part of the “management and strategy team” for Missourians For John Brunner, a candidate for governor.

Trump paid an additional $3,000 each to Holzer and Adkins in May for “field consulting.” Holzer listed Adkins home as his address.

This is when things get interesting.

The only other apparent public mention of Draper Sterling effectively accuses it of being a scam that helps perpetrate legally questionable activity.

It comes from an FEC complaint against an entity called “Patriots For America,” a federal super PAC seeking to influence the Missouri governor’s race. The complaint, filed on May 12 by an economics professor named Aaron Hedlund, alleges that Patriots For America listed no receipts or disbursements on its FEC filings, yet sent out direct mail.

It also highlights an unusual debt of $56,234 to “Draper Sterling LLC” for “business consulting.” Hedlund describes the debt as “mysterious,” “highly unusual” and a potential violation of the law.

Patriots for America is run by Adam McLain, who is Paul Holzer’s brother.

To recap, there is a nexus between Jon Adkins, Paul Holzer and Adam McLain that meets at the mysterious Draper Sterling. We still aren’t sure what Draper Sterling actually does but these individuals are going to considerable lengths to obfuscate their activities.

This is where things get really weird.

The number listed by McLain for “Patriots For America” forwards to a voicemail for Grace’s Grantham Cafe, a New Hampshire coffee shop that, according to its website, was supposed to open on Memorial Day. Grace’s Grantham Cafe is registered to Jon Adkins, the same person who registered Draper Sterling.

When ThinkProgress called Grace’s Grantham Cafe directly on the number listed on its website, Adam McLain answered. (McLain’s super PAC filing says he lives Virginia.)

Asked about his connection to Draper Sterling and what services it provided to his super PAC, McLain said he had “no comment.” Asked whether Grace’s Grantham Cafe was a real cafe that has opened, McLain said he had “no comment.” Asked whether Paul Holzer was his brother, McLain also said he had “no comment.” McLain said he didn’t find the questions “relevant.”

Neither Adkins or Holzer immediately returned inquires from ThinkProgress. An inquiry to the Trump campaign about what services Draper Sterling provided was also not immediately returned.

Late last night, however, Republican operative Matt Mackowiak tweeted that the Trump campaign was doing a “forensic audit” of ousted campaign manager Corey Lewandowski’s spending.

A Republican consultant familiar with McLain and Holzer described Draper Sterling as “a front for Paul Holzer” and speculated that it was more likely that Adam McLain was doing the actual work and Holzer was “taking a cut.”

What exactly is Draper Sterling and what did they do for the Trump campaign? It is not yet entirely clear.

What is clear is that the Trump campaign finance report is a mess. They might want to take some advice from the real, fake, Don Draper.

:laugh:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crain posted:

Current theory is that the "firing" of Lewandowski was supposed to be a terrible smoke screen for the FEC filing.

A terrible, terrible smoke screen.

Like this video levels of bad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hePrs5TyE0A

Now we're just waiting for the road spikes.

http://youtubedoubler.com/iBJy

It's better this way.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Is it fair to say this election has shown that you can no longer win an election in the US relying mostly on white folks? Sanders appealed to the white middle class but it wasn't enough to even win the primary. Trump appealed to white racists but he will - presumably - be annihilated in the general. I mean maybe it has been true for a long time but it seems this election has demonstrated that no group of whites is enough on either side of the aisle any longer..

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Neeksy posted:

The best part about all of this Trump griftpain stuff is how it is perfectly emblematic of the GOP ideology at work. They can't decry anything he does because he is exactly the very thing they want, a Platonic ideal of who they value most. Yet they nor any of the rubes that vote for him will ever realize it because doing so would question and eventually undo the complex web of contradictions and hypocrisies that is the intellectual basis of contemporary American conservatism.

I was thinking about how Trump is an amalgam of the worst parts of the Republican party's national figures from the past 15 or so years. He's got...
*Bush's "Ignorance is Strength" mentality.
*Cheney's blood lust.
*McCain's Maverick/"outsider" bs.
*Palin's word salad and general stupidity.
*Romney's sneering plutocaracy.
*Ryan's promises with out actual policy details.
*Boehner's orange skin
*McConnell's... poo poo,I don't know...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anos posted:

Is it fair to say this election has shown that you can no longer win an election in the US relying mostly on white folks? Sanders appealed to the white middle class but it wasn't enough to even win the primary. Trump appealed to white racists but he will - presumably - be annihilated in the general. I mean maybe it has been true for a long time but it seems this election has demonstrated that no group of whites is enough on either side of the aisle any longer..

The 2008 election demonstrated that.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

deoju posted:

I was thinking about how Trump is an amalgam of the worst parts of the Republican party's national figures from the past 15 or so years. He's got...
*Bush's "Ignorance is Strength" mentality.
*Cheney's blood lust.
*McCain's Maverick/"outsider" bs.
*Palin's word salad and general stupidity.
*Romney's sneering plutocaracy.
*Ryan's promises with out actual policy details.
*Boehner's orange skin
*McConnell's... poo poo,I don't know...

Also foster's a pure hatred of himself like Cruz does.

Also

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/34754b3f14df44a8b46af28158b9e9a7/hillary-clintons-vp-search-moves-more-intense-phase?platform=hootsuite

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Hillary Clinton's search for a running mate is moving into a more intense phase, according to several Democrats, as aides contact a pared-down pool of candidates to ask for reams of personal information and set up interviews with the presumptive Democratic nominee's vetting team.

Those on the shortlist include Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, a favorite of progressives who has emerged as a blistering critic of presumptive Republican nominee Donald Trump; Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine, a well-liked lawmaker from an important general election battleground state; and Housing and Urban Development Secretary Julian Castro of Texas, a rising star in the Democratic Party.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Crain posted:

I'm not convinced that the GOP isn't going to implode after this election regardless of if they run Trump or replace him.

Trump doesn't "lose" like most people. The GOP will be left holding the bag, he'll spend months just making GBS threads on them and blaming them for everything that went wrong, hell he might even just start his own party anyways and fracture them further.

Trump will drop out before the RNC.

:toxx:

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I don't think people "get" Trump's appeal if you think that he has any reason to hide the fact that his fundraising is anemic.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Narciss posted:

I don't think people "get" Trump's appeal if you think that he has any reason to hide the fact that his fundraising is anemic.

A lot of people still think there is this middle ground of undecideds who are very serious and candidates need to appeal to them. And, oh man, if you don't do these certain things then you just look bad and no one will vote for you!

If Trump does run right up until the end, you can bet at ~49% of the voters will vote for him.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Hillary about to give her economy speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-_C3X8Nf70

Oh god they left chat up....

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Ugh, hope it's none of those. Warren belongs as head of finance committee. Castro i don't think has any real qualifications to be next in line as president and Kaine isn't particularly charming.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Hillary about to give her economy speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-_C3X8Nf70

What's she doing in Ohio, shouldn't she be in one of the battleground states like California or NYC?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

This is loving bizzarre. Like what could the company actually be doing? Bribes?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Noam Chomsky posted:

If Trump does run right up until the end, you can bet at ~49% of the voters will vote for him.

No loving chance in hell. He'll hit 40% maybe but not 49%.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Anos posted:

That was pointed out in 2012 when Romney had the same percentage of white people that Reagan did, yet lost.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Here's the site BTW:

http://gracesnh.com/

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hollismason posted:

This is loving bizzarre. Like what could the company actually be doing? Bribes?

Cocaine and underage hookers

Here is the place according to the website, could a NH goon please do the needful?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...8!4d-72.1318345

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jun 21, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crain posted:

it's surprisingly mediocre, a few obvious trolls but quite a few Clinton supporters.

Of course, there's a few thousand less people watching so

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Crain posted:

I'm not convinced that the GOP isn't going to implode after this election regardless of if they run Trump or replace him.

Trump doesn't "lose" like most people. The GOP will be left holding the bag, he'll spend months just making GBS threads on them and blaming them for everything that went wrong, hell he might even just start his own party anyways and fracture them further.

They are going to implode because even if Trump falls completely under the control of the RNC from now until November, and disappears quietly, the Democrats are going to keep hammering the party for embracing Trump. Paul Ryan is going to shoulder a lot of the blame for jumping on board, relatively early, with an unconditional endorsement. You can't distance yourself from being the party of Trump when the party leadership endorsed, and stood by Trump.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Not a great speech by any metric, but it's on point and she's putting her priorities in plain sight. A conversation on expanding the US job base by investment in infrastructure, clean energy and advanced manufacturing is pretty much all I could hope for from any candidate.

Her points on Trump have been perfect and I cannot wait for the debates (and also Trump's delayed response to her tomorrow)

Sir Tonk posted:

What's she doing in Ohio, shouldn't she be in one of the battleground states like California or NYC?

:golfclap:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
This is a pretty drat good speech from Clinton, if you're looking for her to attack Trump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Hillary is using Trump's own words against him like in the national security speech. This is great.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
poo poo, wrong thread

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Hillary is using Trump's own words against him like in the national security speech. This is great.
Reminder: it's been like a month and Trump still doesn't have a response to any part of that speech.

Hillary eviscerated him, and Trump (and everyone in his campaign) knows it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Sir Tonk posted:

its June, she can be wherever she wants to be. there will be plenty of battleground state speeches and events.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Crain posted:

Here's the site BTW:

http://gracesnh.com/

"Email: gracesnh.com"

That's not how email works.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

its June, she can be wherever she wants to be. there will be plenty of battleground state speeches and events.

Reread the post you quoted.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Reminder that this company pulled RNC ads over concerns regarding Trump's anti-Muslim rhetoric.

Buzzfeed is still garbage.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

zoux posted:

I'd still like news outlets to do a good job on stories not about America.

The Atlantic wrote an article about Our Collective National Uncle.

I'm only 1/3 into this article so far but it's making a pretty compelling case.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

Buzzfeed is still garbage.

There's actually some really great stuff that's been done in Buzzfeed Politics and Buzzfeed World, it's just that poo poo doesn't keep the lights on.

If listicles of the Top 25 Biggest Farts means we still get stuff like 36 Hours On The Fake Campaign Trail With Donald Trump or My Last Day In Yemen that's fine with me.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 21, 2016

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Ostensibly because the Republicans weren't fair to him and didn't help him raise money to fight Crooked HIllary -- but then, that would require an admission that he couldn't self-fund (which I think it's pretty obvious he's not actually wealthy enough to do that, so._)

I bet you right now Bill and Hillary have more combined liquid assets than Trump does

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crain posted:

That's a shrewd move. Trump supporters should get every chance to make asses of themselves.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My god.

"He's written a lot of books on business... They all seem to end at Chapter 11"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Boon posted:

My god.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/745296770637438976

it's back . . . in tweet form!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Boon posted:

My god.

That was a beautiful line.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Thats an amazingly good line

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That was a beautiful line.

It makes me cringe, like almost every time she cracks a joke. I am really not looking forward to eight years of this at the White House Correspondents' Dinner.

e: she sounds drugged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

SedanChair posted:

It makes me cringe, like almost every time she cracks a joke. I am really not looking forward to eight years of this at the White House Correspondents' Dinner.

Hopefully, she lets Bill handle most of them

• Locked thread