Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The power level was supposed to be their spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
In today's exciting issue, Captain Britain loses 10% of his powers in 12 hours!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

When Scotland leaves, Merlyn's going to show up and repossess the parts of Captain Britain's union jack suit that come from the Scottish flag.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The pound has apparently rolled back to a low not seen since 1985. The same year Marvel published a little story called the Jaspers' Warp.

Now I'm not saying Boris Johnson might be a mad reality warper, but...

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just thinking out loud, but Captain Britain should have a big silver hammer called the Sterling Pounder that grows or shrinks depending on how the GBP is performing in international markets.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Squizzle posted:

Just thinking out loud, but Captain Britain should have a big silver hammer called the Sterling Pounder that grows or shrinks depending on how the GBP is performing in international markets.

In real time as you read. It's a digital-only feature.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Maybe add a short-statured comedy sidekick, in the Woozy Winks/Doiby Dickles tradition. I'm thinking it could be a pugnacious little red dragon guy whose name contains few or no vowels (e.g. Cwrffly Crrdwfdf, pron. "care Philly car diff").

Doesn't matter if he's a real dragon or a little fella dressed like a dragon. Maybe a talking sheep, dressed as a red dragon? Looking for ideas, here.

e: I for one am shocked and saddened that autocorrect fumbled on a word like Doiby.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 24, 2016

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

VagueRant posted:

I actually had to look this up, I didn't believe Farage could've really said it. Kind of a perfect political move, because his supporters will write off any criticism as political correctness and only make him more popular.

Oh wait, this isn't D&D, is it? Any comic authors respond to this yet? Ton of Brits out there.

I saw a lot of writers and artists talking about it last night but tbh I'm far too lazy to go look all of it up to c/p. None were for leaving though and a lot of people were getting really worried or mad before signing off for the night, depending on how late they stayed up.

Madkal posted:

Are there any comics where the baby boomers are the villains, like they are in real life?

Punisher MAX - Barracuda

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Squizzle posted:

Is Sinn Fein still taking about a reunification referendum, or did someone walk that back while I was asleep?

There's been some discussion - Sinn Fein is always talking about border polls, but I think we'll have to wait and see how things develop in the meantime before anything can happen because a poll can only be called by the Secretary of State when there is evidence of a clear likely change in the situation, and that isn't clear yet.

I'm a bit disappointed because stopping a unification referendum was basically my entire motivation for voting to stay in. :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope every part of the UK that isn't England splits off and joins the EU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wales voted to go.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I hope England declares independence from Wales and Cornwall and votes join the EU, leaving Wales and Cornwall the only members of the UK.

(I'm pretty sure that Wales and Cornwall did not go leave so hard/are so populated that kicking them out would lead to an independent England that has a majority support for staying in the EU, but it'd be funny if the numbers worked out like that)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Yvonmukluk posted:

The pound has apparently rolled back to a low not seen since 1985. The same year Marvel published a little story called the Jaspers' Warp.

Now I'm not saying Boris Johnson might be a mad reality warper, but...

Kind of fitting seeing as 1985 is the time period a lot of the voters who voted to leave remember fondly. Now if they can only re animate Thatcher's decomposing corpse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

Kind of fitting seeing as 1985 is the time period a lot of the voters who voted to leave remember fondly. Now if they can only re animate Thatcher's decomposing corpse.

I am pretty sure that a lot of the voters who voted to leave were the people who either lost their jobs or whose parents lost their jobs when the pits closed in 1985. :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am pretty sure that a lot of the voters who voted to leave were the people who either lost their jobs or whose parents lost their jobs when the pits closed in 1985. :shrug:

It's not like the working class voting against its interests is a new thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

But leaving the EU will make the mines open and give us r jerbs back from the evil foreign devils or something...

The thing that pisses me off the most is that the key issue for most arseholes voting Leave was immigration... which the Leave campaign loving torpedoed in their own campaign materials by harping on about the Swiss being able to trade with Europe... BECAUSE THEY ARE SUBJECT TO FREE MOVEMENT IN ORDER TO DO THAT!

Or the stupid loving hospital/£350M thing. Or the ECHR somehow being a bad thing for reasons I can't even comprehend, considering the thing was drafted, by US, to prevent a loving genocide from happening again, among other things.

What's the next scapegoat? The UN? NATO? Eurovision?

I'd try to escape into comics, but I'm starting worry that V For Vendetta was Moore and Lloyd being too optimistic about our political future.

EDIT: Oh, and now we get to enjoy Nicola Sturgeon having to justify why using the exact same rhetoric as UKIP did for this campaign is OK when they do it for their pet independence project.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Well, that's the basic tension isn't it? I personally think you're making a fair enough point but I feel that the natural riposte would probably be something like (going by my own experience), "And who are you to tell us what our interests are?"

Anyway, here in Norn Iron, we are now being treated to the quite bizarre spectacle of Ian Paisley, Jr. recommending that we should all get Irish passports (I was already getting one anyway because it seemed like a good investment).

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 25, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

You know how in Lucifer(and Dogma) hell was just a cold unfeeling place until the damned souls cried out for torture? That's basically politics, but especially for us poor people. At this point, statistically, we deserve whatever we get.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When you think about it the EU vote was a proletarian revolution against the interests of the liberal democratic bourgeois establishment. :v:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Finally, "nazi commie" is accurate.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Finally, "nazi commie" is accurate.

it describes your posting pretty well you fascist pedophile

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I believe the politically correct term is "Communazi".

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I just reread New Frontier and it is very good. The deluxe edition is printed on very nice paper and is not at all what I expect out of DC anymore

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I read New Frontiers digitally but was thinking about getting the print version. Cooke's art is just fantastic. Love that book.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Will I be too stereotypically tumblr if I complain about Gwenpool being too conventionally attractive? "comic book fans are all ugly goons" jokes aside, for someone who's supposed to be a regular person from our world she looks like a cliche anime chick.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

Will I be too stereotypically tumblr if I complain about Gwenpool being too conventionally attractive?

Yes, probably.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aww man, I forgot to post my hottest Captain Britain take, about a new Captain Midlands, secret identity Hugh Kipper.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

He's from Shrewsbury and believes that Nightcrawler forced the rest of Excalibur to let Faiza join the team.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

WickedHate posted:

Will I be too stereotypically tumblr if I complain about Gwenpool being too conventionally attractive? "comic book fans are all ugly goons" jokes aside, for someone who's supposed to be a regular person from our world she looks like a cliche anime chick.

She looks like a "cliche anime chick" (even though she doesn't, she's pretty curvy in comparison to most typical cartoon characters) because her artist is a Japanese art team who got their start trying to draw manga.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Toxxupation posted:

She looks like a "cliche anime chick" (even though she doesn't, she's pretty curvy in comparison to most typical cartoon characters) because her artist is a Japanese art team who got their start trying to draw manga.

Huh, I didn't know that, but it explains the big eyes. Still, I was talking more about her appearance regardless of style, the long shapely legs, the geometrically perfect unblemished face, and being thin as hell.

The inexplicable lack of leggings is ridiculous as it is, but it seems like, given her story and everything, she should be more of a plain jane and not yet another hyper fit, good looking ideal human specimen.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So explain Gwenpool to me because up until like, yesterday I thought she was another alt-universe Gwen Stacy like Spider-Gwen, but apparently she's actually a comic book nerd from the 'real' world? Is the idea that there are normal, non-super powered versions of Marvel characters in the 'real' world and she is 'real' world Gwen Stacy? Is she just a normal girl from our world who happens to be named Gwen?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

She's a normal girl named Gwen Poole who stumbled through a portal into the 616, looked around, went "poo poo this is the universe that I buy all those comics about every month!" And decides to become a superhero.

The tailor who makes her costume mistakes her name for her superhero codename, and thus is born Gwenpool.

She has no superpowers and she's a terrible shot, choosing instead to blow up her kill targets with huge amounts of explosives. However, she's read a bunch of comics and she seems to have a fairly good memory so she knows everybody's secret identities, backstories, and motivations/love interests, which she uses to gain people's trust.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

So it's just a wacky coincidence that she's a combination of two of Marvel's most popular characters, huh. Seems like some bullshit, Theo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

WickedHate posted:

The inexplicable lack of leggings is ridiculous as it is, but it seems like, given her story and everything, she should be more of a plain jane and not yet another hyper fit, good looking ideal human specimen.

Sure, I know plenty of "normal" and "plain" people (some of them are even comic book fans) who are "hyper fit" and "good looking ideal human specimens".

Because they go to the gym and eat healthily instead of sitting around all day like I do. :D

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Travis343 posted:

So it's just a wacky coincidence that she's a combination of two of Marvel's most popular characters, huh. Seems like some bullshit, Theo.

It's kind of mediocre, but it's got potential. Couple good laughs here and there and good character work with Batroc. So far I find Gwen's personality really generic but maybe she'll develop some more now that the introductory arc is over.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I haven't read it, obviously, it might be good. I do like the concept of a comic book nerd realizing as long as they're the protagonist in a comic book world they're effectively invincible, I just have to call them out over that name. If you want to mash up two incredibly popular characters, go for it, but don't try to act like it's a cute coincidence and she has nothing to do with Spider-Gwen or Deadpool.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

She was literally a joke cover back when Marvel was doing jokey "Gwen" covers of all the existing superheroes that got SUPER popular to cosplayers. Marvel realized that she was actually a Big Draw among the fanbase, considering the amount of cosplaying/fanart that popped up around a character that literally only existed on a variant cover, so introduced a Gwenpool backup in a bunch of issues of Howard. These must've done well enough to warrant a Gwenpool holiday special, which warranted Marvel to order a Gwenpool ongoing.

Either way, she's absolutely nothing texturally or tonally or character-wise like Spider-Gwen or Deadpool any more. The amount of work that Christopher Hastings has done to make her into her own thing is admirable, and I really have to say she's probably the single most unique superhero amongst the big two right now. Her power set and abilities aren't shared with anyone else and she's a really great character.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

I haven't read it, obviously, it might be good. I do like the concept of a comic book nerd realizing as long as they're the protagonist in a comic book world they're effectively invincible, I just have to call them out over that name. If you want to mash up two incredibly popular characters, go for it, but don't try to act like it's a cute coincidence and she has nothing to do with Spider-Gwen or Deadpool.

Again, all this is retroactive justification for a character who literally started off as a Gwen Stacy take on Deadpool. Your criticisms aren't exactly damning when, you know, the character started off as a variant cover joke.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I was gonna say, it is primarily a comedy book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Again, all this is retroactive justification for a character who literally started off as a Gwen Stacy take on Deadpool. Your criticisms aren't exactly damning when, you know, the character started off as a variant cover joke.

I'm not trying to be damning, poo poo. I just said it might be good and I thought the concept was neat. Dial it back a few paces, Gwenpool Defense Squadron.

• Locked thread