Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Antti posted:

He campaigned to Remain and there is a sizeable Brexit wing in his own party. Leave winning in this situation means he no longer has the political capital or power to effectively govern or control his party's MPs. He'd inevitably be replaced by the Tories if he didn't resign. The Leave campaign was lead by prominent Tory politicians who used it as a vehicle to dethrone Cameron, in fact.

This isn't the first or only thing Cameron has struggled with inside his own party.

DolphinCop posted:

cameron did not support a brexit. he cynically promised a brexit vote to the extreme racists and idiots in his party to entice them to vote for him in the most recent election. after winning, as promised, he scheduled the referendum, but also actively campaigned against it, and allowed members inside his own party to campaign on whatever side they wanted to. so the whole thing turned into chaos, he fractured the hell out of his party way harder than refusing to promise a referendum in the first place would have, and achieved an outcome that he personally knew would be disastrous. by this point he just would rather not deal with all the fallout of his bad decisions, so hes getting out early

PostNouveau posted:

He's a humongous dipshit who could have prevented the vote from even happening, but he allowed it to go on to gain points with the racist party. And now the U.K. is hosed because of it. Scotland may well just secede so it can rejoin the E.U.

Ah okay that makes much more sense. Danke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Walmart pays its employees better than Kroger does, same with just about any other big box store.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Epic High Five posted:

Walmart pays its employees better than Kroger does, same with just about any other big box store.

Not even remotely. Kroger is union. Not, like, an amazing union, but a union. If you stick it out for a while, you get looked after.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 25, 2016

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

theblackw0lf posted:

Dem platform draft committee voted to put opposition to the death penalty in the platform

Twitter is breathlessly telling me that this is all because of Bernie Sanders

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Rollofthedice posted:

Twitter is breathlessly telling me that this is all because of Bernie Sanders

you use the tweeter?

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

you use the tweeter?

A little. Really I was just searching for "death penalty" and all the relevant results were from accounts like 'people4bernie' and associated hashtags

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Costco owns

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Internet Webguy posted:

My mom told me during a Fox News commercial break that the Brexit vote was a good thing because both Obama and ISIS are mad about it. I asked her why ISIS would be mad about it and she said it was probably the same reason Obama was. I told her that was a very black and white way to look at the wold and she accused me of calling her a racist, so that is about where most of the Fox News viewing audience stands on the subject.

Sounds about right for Fox News' audience to both love something entirely because someone else dislikes it and equate Obama with ISIL.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Epic High Five posted:

That really depends on what store region you are looking at, for both WalMart and Kroger.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Not even remotely. Kroger is union.

The average wage is still below the 9.50 that Walmart starts out at, and in right to work states like mine it isn't even that

I mean both aren't great options and are way underpaying, but it's not so clear cut a choice as a lot of people think it is

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I started at a whopping $7.35 an hour at Walmart, which you'll note is minimum wage, so bullshit they do.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Epic High Five posted:

I can't respond to your stupid opinion because your drat avatar is jiggling too much! God drat it what is that freaky thing! Shoot it!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
9.50 is still poo poo where ever you live.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Zophar posted:

Minimum wage hikes are a tough sell to those who can only see as far as their next quarterly earnings report.

See also: Mouth breathers who see it as a personal affront when one of their filthy inferiors starts making the same paycheck that they do.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I never thought I'd ever see WalMart ever spoken in a positive matter in this thread, or this subforum, or this website.

Switching my vote to Trump this November, nothing matters anymore

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Internet Webguy posted:

My mom told me during a Fox News commercial break that the Brexit vote was a good thing because both Obama and ISIS are mad about it. I asked her why ISIS would be mad about it and she said it was probably the same reason Obama was. I told her that was a very black and white way to look at the wold and she accused me of calling her a racist, so that is about where most of the Fox News viewing audience stands on the subject.

Your mother thinks you said she's racist because of the phrase "black and white"? :psyduck:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh it's still bad, and the wages are bad, but it's not really safe to make blanket statements about X being worse than Y because what it really comes down to is the local CoL and how low the state will let them go. Here, they are across the interstate from where most of the population lives so have a harder time attracting people, thus you can make more there or at Sam's Club than you could at Kroger

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Oh it's still bad, and the wages are bad, but it's not really safe to make blanket statements about X being worse than Y because what it really comes down to is the local CoL and how low the state will let them go. Here, they are across the interstate from where most of the population lives so have a harder time attracting people, thus you can make more there or at Sam's Club than you could at Kroger

Promise me you'll change your avatar next week if someone else hasn't.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Walmart's starting wage is $10.50 per hour, ya dinguses.

People shop at Walmart for a lot of reasons. It might be the only thing in town that has what they need, it's closer than something else, something is cheaper there, they go out of habit, they work there and utilize the 10% employee discount, and so on.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Promise me you'll change your avatar next week if someone else hasn't.

I miss the Yodatar but I've grown to appreciate Dancing Hamtaro Witch

I assume I'll be a 'victim' of the monthly rebranding for a third time, I only ask my mysterious benefactor to make my next one even more irritating to people

If you look at it just right, the hamster pouch looks like a mouth, the arms like eyebrows, and the haunches like a couple big flapping cheeks

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hillary up 13 points in new Reuters poll.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

holy moley

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Winco is employee owned and prices are lower than Walmart :smugdog:

Walmart is still busier though, I don't get it

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

A poll with 20% of people saying they would vote for neither is a great poll to take seriously

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

:stonklol:

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Sancho posted:

A poll with 20% of people saying they would vote for neither is a great poll to take seriously

It's not about one poll its about the continuation of a general trend in one direction. That direction being Hillary kicking Trump's rear end.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

readingatwork posted:

See also: Mouth breathers who see it as a personal affront when one of their filthy inferiors starts making the same paycheck that they do.

So help me god if those poors working a mcdonalds dealing with people yelling at them all day, makes as much as I office worker who just browses facebook all day I'm gonna be pissed.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

Mr Interweb posted:

I haven't been following this Brexit stuff closely, so apologies for the possibly dumb question, but why did Cameron resign?

Same reason Chamberlain did back when he was running the conservative party, because he hosed up literally everything.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Not even remotely. Kroger is union. Not, like, an amazing union, but a union. If you stick it out for a while, you get looked after.

As someone who worked for Kroger after working at Wal-Mart, you are the wrongest fucker in the history of wrong loving. I got paid 9.50 to push carts at Wal-Mart. At Kroger the only person who made more then 7.25 an hour was salaried positions. Of which there was two in the entire store. And one was the owner.

Got paid poo poo, got poo poo hours, got treated like poo poo.

Wal-Mart gave me the hours I wanted and I got paid really well for my job.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

James Garfield posted:

Wal-Mart sells a lot more things than most Wincos do, since Wal-Mart is a discount department store that has since added on supermarket-level food.

Neremworld posted:

As someone who worked for Kroger after working at Wal-Mart, you are the wrongest fucker in the history of wrong loving. I got paid 9.50 to push carts at Wal-Mart. At Kroger the only person who made more then 7.25 an hour was salaried positions. Of which there was two in the entire store. And one was the owner.

Got paid poo poo, got poo poo hours, got treated like poo poo.

Wal-Mart gave me the hours I wanted and I got paid really well for my job.

Meanwhile in other parts of the country, Krogers start as high as $10 an hour for basic positions, with many positions higher. It can't be stated enough that working at Kroger is VERY dependent on which region the Kroger is in.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

The average wage is still below the 9.50 that Walmart starts out at, and in right to work states like mine it isn't even that

I mean both aren't great options and are way underpaying, but it's not so clear cut a choice as a lot of people think it is

Walmart set out on a campaign to raise wages two years ago or so because they realized they'd cut labor down so much it was starting to hurt them. Customers were turned off by constantly messy, disorganized stores where you could never find any help or check out quickly because of a lack of staff. Their attempts to push into urban markets were fought tooth and nail by communities who feared their impact on local business and were repulsed by their reputation as bad employers. Meanwhile there were growing calls for unionization among the ranks, something Walmart has been firmly against since day one. The company realized they needed to pay people more, to retain them as employees, to rehab their image as a poo poo company, and to stave off calls to organize. And that's not a bad thing because it should push other big-box stores to catch up. The UFCW just ratified a new agreement with one of their Kroger chapters for higher starting wages and better benefits.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

James Garfield posted:

More efficient layout to increase throughput. Along with checkers that don't gently caress around.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aldi's pretty great though. I like how cheap their poo poo is and I don't demand a choice between 50 different kinds of crushed tomatoes. I hear they pay well but don't know the specifics

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Epic High Five posted:

Aldi's pretty great though. I like how cheap their poo poo is and I don't demand a choice between 50 different kinds of crushed tomatoes. I hear they pay well but don't know the specifics

Aldi's pays a starting wage of $10.50 but they also try to employ as minimal an amount of employees as possible. They also pay their managers a lot better than most similar store chains, but again they employ very few for each store, and expect them to cover a lot more duties that might be covered by a couple managers and assistant managers in other stores.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

fade5 posted:

Crosspost from the right-wing media thread:
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/746452315213828097

One of Obama's really interesting legacies is going to be the huge leaps in LGBT rights that happened in an astoundingly short amount of time.

Perfect timing for me as well! Now I can do OCS basically by the time the reviewing period is over. Very happy to see this policy in place.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Internet Webguy posted:

I don't want to hurt your mum's head too much but, unlike Obama, ISIS is all about the Brexit. Celebratory bombing have been called for.

Guess even for ISIS, Obama is just too extreme.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's her best margin since at least March, I think.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Sylink posted:

The real wage solution is total profit sharing and cooperative ownership. And caps on the size of coops.

TBH I'd like it more if Hillary shifted her profit sharing policy to using that profit to purchasing and distributing ownership of the company to employees

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Antti posted:

He campaigned to Remain and there is a sizeable Brexit wing in his own party. Leave winning in this situation means he no longer has the political capital or power to effectively govern or control his party's MPs. He'd inevitably be replaced by the Tories if he didn't resign. The Leave campaign was lead by prominent Tory politicians who used it as a vehicle to dethrone Cameron, in fact.

This isn't the first or only thing Cameron has struggled with inside his own party.

Is Cameron the dumbest PM in UK history, or is there another example? Chamberlain doesn't count, he was threading a needle during war times. This is an unforced error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Dem platform draft committee voted to put opposition to the death penalty in the platform

hey, cool!

• Locked thread