Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I believe he's talking about greater participation in representative democracy, not increasing the amount of direct democracy

Hasn't California sorted a lot of its government and state services poo poo out since telling Orange County and the hilariously massive money laundering/terrorism financing nexus in the Central Valley almond farmers and dairy ranchers to gently caress off by electing a D supermajority and backing out that horseshit tax proposition?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

AmiYumi posted:

Counterpoint: California.

I'm not being glib, I'm being real: the more power you give voters in this country, the more you see "I want everything, but refuse to pay for any of it (especially if it helps the coloreds)."

There is a vast continuum of voting power between what the people have now and national referendums on anything that gets enough petition signatures or sufficiently buzzes in the bonnet of the House.

Give the people a national voting holiday, enfranchise felons, create independent districting committees with neutrality guidelines. Then go and give them multi member districts with voters getting a single transferable vote, or expand the house by 300 members and ensure that representatives are added with population growth to ensure a constant constituent per representative ratio , or do both.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Stuff like this makes me wonder just how much of his own lies Trump actually believes. I mean, yeah, he's a conman, but he's also a raging narcissist so where does the manipulation end and self-delusion begin?

Periodiko posted:

No, that's wrong. First, people are "stupid" because they're serviced by a media that doesn't have the slightest interest in informing them, and political parties that have no interest in presenting them with real choices. If you look at the actual polling statistics of what Americans believe, they're far more scared of climate change than their representatives, and they have far more reasonable views on the economy and government programs. Climate denial, drug prohibition, austerity and slashing of entitlements, extreme unrestricted firearm access, supply-side economics, foreign warmongering, and the current system of private healthcare: all of these policies are massively unpopular. Congress runs with an approval rating that hovers above the single digits. The current character of American politics is that of a massive discontinuity between what people want, and what their government is doing. Republican voters voted for Trump not just because they're angry at Democrats, but because they're deeply angry at Republicans as well, often in ways that make them sound like working class New Deal Democrats.

The problem isn't democracy, that's missing the point entirely. It's about the system that operates between the desired policies of people, and the desired policies of their representatives.

If you made voting mandatory and undid undemocratic policies like gerrymandering, felony restrictions, and ID laws it would have a significant positive change. Making voting an even more elite process would have the opposite effect you propose. The idea that the "stupids" are the reason our democracy doesn't work is the ideology of the people that are loving everything up right now. If you look at polling data on basic issues, this is pretty plain to see.

Very true. People are far less ignorant and unreasonable than one might think if they aren't being manipulated.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 2, 2016

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

FAUXTON posted:

Hasn't California sorted a lot of its government and state services poo poo out since telling Orange County and the hilariously massive money laundering/terrorism financing nexus in the Central Valley almond farmers and dairy ranchers to gently caress off by electing a D supermajority and backing out that horseshit tax proposition?

Mostly, and it's made the members of the GOP I know in CA, really, really salty.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Geostomp posted:

Stuff like this makes me wonder just how much of his own lies Trump actually believes. I mean, yeah, he's a conman, but he's also a raging narcissist so where does the manipulation end and self-delusion begin?

I think delusion implies a consistent if wrong view of the world. Trump doesn't seem to give a poo poo about anything but what makes himself feel good at any given moment.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

RuanGacho posted:

Mostly, and it's made the members of the GOP I know in CA, really, really salty.

Their tears loving wrecked the aquifers.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FAUXTON posted:

California hasn't had a D super majority since spring 2014.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Geostomp posted:

As much of a narcissist as Trump is, as was pointed out last page this was made by a scamalicious Super PAC and not his campaign.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ComradeCosmobot posted:

California hasn't had a D super majority since spring 2014.

Did they back out that horseshit prop about requiring a supermajority to raise taxes or just unfuck their (everything but property taxes, I imagine) tax code while they had it?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Did they back out that horseshit prop about requiring a supermajority to raise taxes or just unfuck their (everything but property taxes, I imagine) tax code while they had it?

Weren't they able to raise taxes thanks to a referendum, not a through the legislature?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

As much of a narcissist as Trump is, as was pointed out last page this was made by a scamalicious Super PAC and not his campaign.

Yeah but he still gave the speech, it's not like the organization producing the commercial changes where the original footage came from.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Yeah but he still gave the speech, it's not like the organization producing the commercial changes where the original footage came from.

Oh duh, that is true. I guess I just had a major brain fart. :saddowns:

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Has anyone thought about giving him a dementia or Alzheimers test? Or is he just that delusional and riding this poo poo into the ground?

Or comedy option Manchurian Candidate for the Dems for some help with a land deal.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FAUXTON posted:

No, because voter initiatives in California can only be amended or repealed by other propositions (or in a court of law) unless explicitly indicated otherwise.

The legislature can't overturn "the will of the people."

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

I'm wondering if he's deliberately doing a poo poo job at running for president because he doesn’t really want to get elected, and instead just wants all the publicity so he can make oodles from book sales and television shows without all the responsibility.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Spoondick posted:

I'm wondering if he's deliberately doing a poo poo job at running for president because he doesn’t really want to get elected, and instead just wants all the publicity so he can make oodles from book sales and television shows without all the responsibility.

I highly doubt Trump has enough self-reflection in him to realize he's doing poorly. He goes to his rallies and he thinks he's doing great because "the people love me right??" Trump's probably never actually run an organization as large or as complex as a Presidential campaign, which is why his staff has been so small up until now. He has no idea the scope or the effort involved.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Man it must be something else to be a trump supporter; to live completely in the moment and be freed from the burden of ever worrying about whether he is going to emphatically contradict himself a few days later.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Man it must be something else to be a trump supporter; to live completely in the moment and be freed from the burden of ever worrying about whether he is going to emphatically contradict himself a few days later.

That isn't what they worry about. They worry about whether or not a minority has used this public toilet since it was last cleaned

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

World Famous W posted:

Here is my quick attempt. Can't keep a whole lot of quality with the limitations (both the boards and my skills)

Super Adventure Box Clinton.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mr Hootington posted:

That isn't what they worry about. They worry about whether or not a minority has used this public toilet since it was last cleaned
It might have been cleaned by a minority so then what?!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Did they wear gloves?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Samurai Sanders posted:

You break out your emergency stash of gender-neutral bathroom diapers and repurpose them

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

What do you think would be on that test? The definitions of political ideologies? The history of American politics? An IQ test?

You can't create such a politically powerful tool (your test) and not have it politicized.

Was the Civil War over states rights to institute slavery? [Y/N]

Easy. We knock off all the racists with one question.

Does the earth revolve around the sun? [Y/N]

Bam, we knock off the 25% of Americans who don't understand science on a fundamental level.

Basically, there's tons of simple rear end questions like this, that can eliminate so many of the idiots that should have been swallowed, let alone voting.[/Y/N]

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gfsincere posted:

Bam, we knock off the 25% of Americans who don't understand science on a fundamental level.

Basically, there's tons of simple rear end questions like this, that can eliminate so many of the idiots that should have been swallowed, let alone voting.[/Y/N]

Oh man, I hope you're on the politically charged panel to institute that politically charged test that measures political competency.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

MC Nietzche posted:

I highly doubt Trump has enough self-reflection in him to realize he's doing poorly. He goes to his rallies and he thinks he's doing great because "the people love me right??"

Quick reminder that robotic politician Mitt Romney fell for this poo poo. If someone who is generally sane and intelligent can fall for this, Trump's easy prey.

MC Nietzche posted:

That may be true but Bill Clinton is a master at politics. That pretty much leaves us with two interpretations. Either he forgot how the optics would look or he's signalling that Hillary isn't concerned at all about the FBI probe. My guess would be the second. Now Lynch has committed to following what the FBI recommends and everyone who knows jack all about the email thing knows the FBI is going to say there are no grounds for an indictment.

The Clintons don't care about these sorts of minor incidents of bad press because (a) they don't actually cost much and (b) they think that someone'll just invent a different micro-scandal anyhow. Both of those things are probably true to some extent.

Kalman posted:

(Besides, we have perfectly good evidence that Sanders is a dick to women when he wants their position stemming back thirty years all the way up to trying to take HELP from Murray despite having significantly less seniority than her.)

I don't know all the details, but "trying to beat someone else out for a committee chair you want" sounds like a normal political thing that politicians do, right? Like scheming for better committee assignments is basically every Congressperson's hobby, no?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Okay, and do you make the test an unchanging thing that quickly becomes irrelevant (and easy to cheat, and potentially wrong), or do you make it subject to change with time (and thus subject to getting completely hosed next time a Bush-esque Republican supermajority comes in)? It's a bad idea, bro.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gfsincere posted:

hm, ponder this though, voting is a basic right for every citizen and fundamental to the concept of a republic, so we should actually be working to expand it not restrict it further?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gfsincere posted:

I'm not sure if you're being serious or just joining the gimmick army but if it's the former then you should familiarize yourself with the saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Direct democracy is one of the worst forms of government because the individual voter is clueless about policy details, representative democracy is the best form of government yet discovered because even dumb voters have a general idea of what they want out of government. Representative democracy with just two parties is definitely not ideal.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Also what happens when they game the system? Also human mind is great at compartmentalizing.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait has Clinton's evolution slowed down to longer than a few days now?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reason posted:

Wait has Clinton's evolution slowed down to longer than a few days now?
She changes her story too but no one ever accuses her of "telling it like it is" like they do Trump.

So either they have a memory that does not extend beyond a few days or to them the reality of what "it is" changes every few days.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 2, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

JT Jag posted:

Direct democracy is one of the worst forms of government because the individual voter is clueless about policy details, representative democracy is the best form of government yet discovered because even dumb voters have a general idea of what they want out of government. Representative democracy with just two parties is definitely not ideal.

This I agree with.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
USPol: We need a fascist dictator who will gas those I do not like.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

We will only know if and when he loses the election and it is finally over. Will he quietly just get over it and move onto something else now that he has sucked up his dumbass money and has to deal with court cases or will he become enraged at all of the people now calling him a loser and go into a spiral worse than Romney. Maybe a combination of the two and the alt-right tries to sue him for failing conservatism.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

World Famous W posted:

Here is my quick attempt. Can't keep a whole lot of quality with the limitations (both the boards and my skills)

Just so you know, your efforts were not in vain... I bought this. Psycho Shower Scene Hillary is too beautiful to die on page 10.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

You really want to disenfranchise the 39% of blacks who say states rights was the primary cause of the civil war? Or is this just a "willingness to lie to get to vote" test and people are expected to give the "right answer" regardless of nuance?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

xrunner posted:

Just so you know, your efforts were not in vain... I bought this. Psycho Shower Scene Hillary is too beautiful to die on page 10.

Did you add the text too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Did you add the text too?

What does your heart tell you?

• Locked thread