Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

xrunner posted:

What does your heart tell you?

that you bought an avatar that many will get for free the end of this week.

Trabisnikof posted:

You really want to disenfranchise the 39% of blacks who say states rights was the primary cause of the civil war? Or is this just a "willingness to lie to get to vote" test and people are expected to give the "right answer" regardless of nuance?

How dark is their skin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

that you bought an avatar that many will get for free the end of this week.

So you're saying I'm a trendsetter, is what I'm hearing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No, because voter initiatives in California can only be amended or repealed by other propositions (or in a court of law) unless explicitly indicated otherwise.

The legislature can't overturn "the will of the people."

The will of the people passed Prop 25 which seems to have been part of the reason things are on the mend, and the other being the D majority being made (via 25) capable of passing a proper loving budget instead of budgets consisting of garbage in order to garner 2/3 of the legislature?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

You really want to disenfranchise the 39% of blacks who say states rights was the primary cause of the civil war? Or is this just a "willingness to lie to get to vote" test and people are expected to give the "right answer" regardless of nuance?

By pure numbers it would disenfranchise far more whites numerically, and as a black person, if those black people don't know it was over slavery, I'm good on letting them vote. They would be a drag on the progress of black people.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In order to vote, people should prove that they have been educated by the peasant class. If you can't prove that you've worked as a migrant farmer for at least three years, you shouldn't be able to vote.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Mr Hootington posted:

USPol: We need a fascist dictator who will gas those I do not like.

Lowtax 2016.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

Lowtax 2016.

Leonard J Crabs will get to the bottom of Mr. Ben Ghazi's nefarious schemes in his tenure as Attorney General.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gfsincere posted:

By pure numbers it would disenfranchise far more whites numerically, and as a black person, if those black people don't know it was over slavery, I'm good on letting them vote. They would be a drag on the progress of black people.

And you realize that as soon as someone takes power who disagrees with your perfect conception of American politics and history they may change the test and force you to answer the socially acceptable answer or not vote right? We judge our laws not by how they would work under perfect conditions but under the abuse of humanity.

It is an inane test that only disadvantages those already at a disadvantage. The idea that a mandatory voter test as implemented by America, would hurt whites more than minorities isn't backed by reality.

Might as well require a loyalty oath for all the good it does.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

Lowtax 2016.

Why not. If he runs America as well as he runs this site, we'll probably be fine. I mean we survived Bush.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Trabisnikof posted:

And you realize that as soon as someone takes power who disagrees with your perfect conception of American politics and history they may change the test and force you to answer the socially acceptable answer or not vote right? We judge our laws not by how they would work under perfect conditions but under the abuse of humanity.

It is an inane test that only disadvantages those already at a disadvantage. The idea that a mandatory voter test as implemented by America, would hurt whites more than minorities isn't backed by reality.

Might as well require a loyalty oath for all the good it does.

The whole "We must exclude people from voting who are beneath my intelligence! :smug:" poo poo i'm seeing online in increasing numbers from some redditors, channers, SA posters, etc, etc, is really loving stupid.

The simple fact that the people who post this poo poo haven't spent the ten seconds to think through what would happen when someone with less than pure morals got into power probably means they wouldn't even qualify to vote via the same loving test they're proposing.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

SSNeoman posted:

Why not. If he runs America as well as he runs this site, we'll probably be fine. I mean we survived Bush.

I worked at the MSP where Lowtax hosts the site. Whenever there was server issues, he was actually a really nice guy about it and worked hand in hand with us to get things done. He's a night owl so most of his tickets would come in on my shift.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
So we've established actually instating a votership test is a bad idea. But what's your personal metric? What could someone you know say that would make you think "holy poo poo, don't vote"?

For me, it's the climate. If I were a single issue voter, that would be it. I doubt I'm alone, and that's why a lot of people feel like Bernie>Hillary>>>>>>>>>>everyone else>>>>>Trump.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

FAUXTON posted:

The will of the people passed Prop 25 which seems to have been part of the reason things are on the mend, and the other being the D majority being made (via 25) capable of passing a proper loving budget instead of budgets consisting of garbage in order to garner 2/3 of the legislature?

Being able to pass a budget with a simple majority instead of 2/3rds has been great for California. And it's completely neutered the Republican minority since they can't hold the budget hostage every year.

But we still require a 2/3rds majority to pass any taxes through the legislature, so any tax increases will have to go through ballot propositions for the foreseeable future. Which is dumb.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Edit: never mind

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 2, 2016

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

if you're in favor of restricting the franchise based on mental aptitude you're no different from the people who favor restricting it based on property, race, gender, religion or any other reason. you should probably reexamine your feelings about democracy, republicanism and civics. sorry

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

if people are voting stupidly, the answer isn't to take away the vote, the answer is to educate them better, always, every single time. this is so axiomatic I can't even believe a liberal american would think differently

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Zas posted:

if people are voting stupidly, the answer isn't to take away the vote, the answer is to educate them better, always, every single time. this is so axiomatic I can't even believe a liberal american would think differently

How the hell did it take this long for the correct answer to pop up?

If you think voters are dumb, educate them. But not in a condescending "bless your heart you stupid yokel, let me show you how retarded you are" way. Actually take time to digest their views and then figure out how to posit your views to appeal to some part of their ideology.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

aBagorn posted:

If you think voters are dumb, educate them. But not in a condescending "bless your heart you stupid yokel, let me show you how retarded you are" way. Actually take time to digest their views and then figure out how to posit your views to appeal to some part of their ideology.

People have been saying that since the last thread.

It's just that the same people (and sometimes with friends!) keep coming into the thread and being all "No, see, you don't understand the problem..." and basically repeat the same stupid idea over and over in one way or another.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

and don't try to pass it off as a joke either, there's no attempt at a joke there. it's like racism and sexism, it's ideology so repulsive you have to hide it with the joke label

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Zas posted:

if you're in favor of restricting the franchise based on mental aptitude you're no different from the people who favor restricting it based on property, race, gender, religion or any other reason. you should probably reexamine your feelings about democracy, republicanism and civics. sorry

I've seen and my family has seen democracy in action, and it seems really awesome if you're a white guy, but kinda sucks for everyone else when the majority of the people are actively making rules to gently caress you, so maybe its not as awesome as you guys think it is.

Also 'just educate them!' works when people want to be educated, which we've seen is not the case in a lot of situations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

gfsincere posted:

I've seen and my family has seen democracy in action, and it seems really awesome if you're a white guy, but kinda sucks for everyone else when the majority of the people are actively making rules to gently caress you, so maybe its not as awesome as you guys think it is.

Also 'just educate them!' works when people want to be educated, which we've seen is not the case in a lot of situations.

The only voter test we should institute is "do you believe in disenfranchising other citizens because they have bad opinions, y/n" IMO.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Even beyond the ethical problems, I'm just laughing that anyone could look at American history and think that a way to relieve oppression of a minority population is to restrict voting rights. Nope, that couldn't possibly backfire horribly, no way

Archonex
May 2, 2012

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I'm just laughing that anyone could look at American history and think that a way to relieve oppression of a minority population is to restrict voting rights. Nope, that couldn't possibly backfire horribly, no way

Considering some of the places i've heard that idea discussed that might actually be the point behind it. Just, you know, phrased in the same lovely dog whistle sort of ways.

There's a nasty overlap with "keep the stupids out of my voting system" and "I think (insert group/minority here) cannot have a responsible say over their lives.".

Hell, that was literally one of the multiple bullshit justifications given for things like literacy exams for the right to vote. And anyone that's read one of them knows that they were literally designed to make you fail no matter what answer you gave.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

gfsincere posted:

I actually don't mind people being against democracy so long as they're honest about it. I'm friends with both monarchists and radical communists. But the kind of liberal who wants to restrict the franchise honestly makes me sick.

The theory behind the argument that stupid people shouldn't vote can be transposed almost effortlessly into forced sterilization and eugenics. Not in a slippery slope sense, it's because it's the same theory.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

gfsincere posted:

So we implement some kind of voter test that slashes the rolls down to those who really care + have a decent grasp on reality. This brings on a glorious age of unfucking government institutions, including education, which should bring almost everyone back into enfranchisement since they've now been properly instructed on basic science and historical truths.

Nope. Not buying it. Every time it comes out that kids have done better than any previous generation on the SATs, older people just claim the test is easier and there's no real accomplishment. They'll do the exact same thing if too many people start passing the voting test, claim the system is being gamed somehow and we have to make it harder because reasons.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Right, representative democracy has a lot of very obvious flaws, no argument there, but in trying to 'solve' it people have a tendency to target the most disadvantaged members of society - women, ethnic minorities, people without property, the cognitively impaired, and most notoriously today, felons. It really sucks to see liberals buy into this.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

aBagorn posted:

But that doesn't prove how smart I am or punish those I dislike!

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
How about gun ownership=vote? Exercise one right and then the other.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Turns out Trump used to chill with the Lolita Express crew, and is getting sued for allegedly sexually abusing a 13 year old girl:

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/23/donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/

There's a bit of irony to be found here, becaue Bill Clinton also used to hang out with said crew and I've heard a lot of noise about that from Trump supporters.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Spoondick posted:

Turns out Trump used to chill with the Lolita Express crew, and is getting sued for allegedly sexually abusing a 13 year old girl:

http://www.snopes.com/2016/06/23/donald-trump-rape-lawsuit/

There's a bit of irony to be found here, becaue Bill Clinton also used to hang out with said crew and I've heard a lot of noise about that from Trump supporters.

What the hell is the Lolita Express crew?

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

DemeaninDemon posted:

How about gun ownership=vote? Exercise one right and then the other.

If you kill a man you get an additional vote.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

fits my needs posted:

What the hell is the Lolita Express crew?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein

He had a private jet nicknamed The Lolita Express.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Kit Walker posted:

If you kill a man you get an additional vote.

Much like the Highlander there can only be one voter.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Crabtree posted:

Much like the Highlander there can only be one voter.

Spoiler alert! I haven't seen the new Purge movie yet. :colbert:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
They do not really want an intelligence test. They are using it to sound reasonable. What they want is to ban white people from voting. Why even talk about an intelligence test? Just come out and embrace it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Why don't we just find the one person best at making political decisions and then give only him all the power?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

haveblue posted:

Why don't we just find the one person best at making political decisions and then give only him all the power?

I can expect your support in the 2024 election?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/749235486389043200

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jackson Taus posted:

Quick reminder that robotic politician Mitt Romney fell for this poo poo. If someone who is generally sane and intelligent can fall for this, Trump's easy prey.

Sure, Trump is purposefully surrounding himself with Yes Men who love the smell of his farts to a degree that is relatively unusual. However, considering you've got to be at least minimally all the way up your own rear end to think you should be the person to run the U.S., I'd be quite surprised if almost any candidate didn't fall for it. Even the most conscientious and self critical campaign is going to be staffed by believers, and those that aren't are going to be encouraged to drink the Kool Aid.

I think in the last 30 or so years Dole is about the only Candidate from the two major parties to realize they didn't have a chance in hell before they started planning their sweet as gently caress victory party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

I don't know why all these liberals are so mad about that Sheriff's Star :downs:

• Locked thread