Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
If it's been posted I'll come back and delete this duplicate post but Nigel Farage, after championing the Brexit vote, is stepping down.

Burn the house down? Hell yeah! Stay around to clean up? Hell no!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

If it's been posted I'll come back and delete this duplicate post but Nigel Farage, after championing the Brexit vote, is stepping down.

You expected better from a Tory?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I'm not terribly familiar with UK politics, but does Tory's motto have the word "responsibility" in it anywhere?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Happy 4th everybody!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/04/nyregion/in-new-jersey-student-loan-program-even-death-may-not-bring-a-reprieve.html

quote:

Amid a haze of grief after her son’s unsolved murder last year, Marcia DeOliveira-Longinetti faced an endless list of tasks — helping the police gain access to Kevin’s phone and email; canceling his subscriptions, credit cards and bank accounts; and arranging his burial in New Jersey.

And then there were the college loans.

When Ms. DeOliveira-Longinetti called about his federal loans, an administrator offered condolences and assured her the balance would be written off.

But she got a far different response from a New Jersey state agency that had also lent her son money.

“Please accept our condolences on your loss,” a letter from that agency, the Higher Education Student Assistance Authority, said. “After careful consideration of the information you provided, the authority has determined that your request does not meet the threshold for loan forgiveness. Monthly bill statements will continue to be sent to you.”

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
LOL. In the non-zero event that Trump wins, I'm pretty sure even he would stay for the four years. Maybe. Depends rather or not the GOP is willing to stop being cowards and impeach.

And impeach again because the veep is going to be the incestuous daughter. Then GOP darkness as Ryan does stuff.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Lmao they really, really, really do not want to be the ones to press that button.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Internet Webguy posted:

USPOL July: Trump Shot The (((Sheriff)))

Best title and so early in the month too :radcat:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
:toot::patriot: happy treason day america :patriot::toot:

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

rscott posted:

The Democrats and Republicans tag teaming Puerto Rico probably isn't a great example to use unless you want to make the point that bipartisanship mostly happens to gently caress over poor people

How did the Puerto Rico bailout hurt poor people? I haven't seen any good coverage of it so I don't know the details of the bailout.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

This is fun for the whole family.

Seriously, we're dying over here.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Yeehaw! Let's castrate some hogs, y'all!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Yes please! Lets nationally embarrass our state again and wreck her future political ambitions. Who am I kidding she is staying until she is 90 like Grassley.

It has been talked about on the IPR politics shows that her name has come up. Apparently Branstad was looked at too.

This also means she won't be because her name was leaked.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 4, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Biden would probably thrash the hell out of her in the VP debate, but who else would?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

FAUXTON posted:

Biden would probably thrash the hell out of her in the VP debate, but who else would?

Who knows. She is Palin 2.0 and this model isn't dependent of pills.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

And people used to say death was the only way to get rid of student loans. I guess they've fixed that loophole now.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A Winner is Jew posted:

:toot::patriot: happy treason day america :patriot::toot:

If you come at the king, you had best not miss.

Fortunately, we didn't. :patriot:

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

haveblue posted:

A few athletes have pulled out so far but there's probably more social pressure in rowing because it's a team sport. If an individual track&field person pulls out the rest of the team can still do their events but if half the rowing crew quits the other half is out no matter how willing they are to take their poop bath.

If your a national/world class rower you generally don't care, the goal is to be out of the water. Even then you've most likely rowed some of the most famous superfund waterways anyway if you are at that level, so you know, another day on the water.

Also, Olympic athletes already ruined their lives to get there. You don't give years away prime competitive career for chance reasons.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Internet Webguy posted:

Goddamn is this just too perfect

If it isn't to be for the USPol thread maybe it can grace the GOP Thread?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Tatum Girlparts posted:

True, and that's good, but we're apparently whipping out political dicks and trying to decide who's is better. I'm gonna call a democracy better than any system that involves a chamber is totally unelected and includes weirdos like Andrew Lloyd Webber who just fly in to do poo poo like vote against welfare expansion or whatever thing he flew in from New York to do purely because he didn't feel it was right to 'overturn the House of Commons' choice' or whatever.

If we're democracy fighting with unelected representatives our House of Lords can't do anything, your Supreme Court frequently decides massively important issues and none of those fuckers were elected.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fans posted:

If we're democracy fighting with unelected representatives our House of Lords can't do anything, your Supreme Court frequently decides massively important issues and none of those fuckers were elected.

The appointment process for the Supreme Court is slightly different than for the law lords or whatever.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Trabisnikof posted:

The appointment process for the Supreme Court is slightly different than for the law lords or whatever.

I'll admit it is difficult to even argue this with a straight face when our system sounds like it belongs in a Mary Poppins song.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This worked so well in 2008.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Internet Webguy posted:

Happy 4th everyone

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So whats going to happen with the sit in protest? From what I understand the next meeting is in a day or two

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fans posted:

Electing Judges is dumb and it's good that the Supreme Court is not elected.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Fans posted:

If we're democracy fighting with unelected representatives our House of Lords can't do anything

So why do they exist again? Oh wait, they can do things, otherwise they'd be gone. Have fun with your Literal Church Lords in political office, I guess.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Tubgoat posted:

You expected better from a Tory?

Phone posted:

I'm not terribly familiar with UK politics, but does Tory's motto have the word "responsibility" in it anywhere?

Nigel Farage is in UKIP, not the Conservative Party.

Boris Johnson was the main pro-Leave Tory, while David Cameron was the pro-Remain Tory.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

GalacticAcid posted:

Boris Johnson was the main pro-Leave Tory, while David Cameron was the pro-Remain Tory.
Aren't the UKIP part of the Tory coalition or whatever at the moment?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

fishmech posted:

So why do they exist again?

This is a good question. See also "The Queen" and very recently "The United Kingdom"

We are the ghost of Countries Future! You're all fuuuuuucked.

Nessus posted:

Aren't the UKIP part of the Tory coalition or whatever at the moment?

Nah, UKIP's their own little thing. Tories rule with a majority right now.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Are members of the UKIP referred to as Kippers? If not, they are now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Why do people keep saying Farage is a tory? He appeals to old, working-class, racist, former Labour voters. His public image is a million miles away from Eton.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

quote:

The agency, Ms. Karrow said, treats each instance of a deceased borrower case by case and tries to be compassionate, but, she added, “we must also meet our fiduciary duty to our bondholders.”

How is she tone deaf enough to actually come right out and say it...

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Aliquid posted:

Why do people keep saying Farage is a tory? He appeals to old, working-class, racist, former Labour voters. His public image is a million miles away from Eton.

To me, anyone against the common man is a Tory. E.g. America is run by Tories.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

To me, anyone against the common man is a Tory. E.g. America is run by Tories.

fag and a pint, guvna

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

GalacticAcid posted:

drat, I had UKIP originally (hence the weird grammar that I left in despite the edit).

Anyways, does UKIP use the word "responsibility" anywhere in their literature? I only ask because there seems to be a real trend of "The Party of _________ Responsibility" are the first ones to skirt it when given the chance.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Aliquid posted:

fag and a pint, guvna

Will def take a pint. Cheers!

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Aliquid posted:

The referendum was called precisely because UKIP put an immense amount of pressure on the Tories from the right. UKIP never pulled anything close to as many Labour voters into the tent as they did Conservatives.

Here's a decent rundown of where their support comes from.

Rural England was never a Labour heartland.

gently caress the UK either way though it's the 4th.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Phone posted:

drat, I had UKIP originally (hence the weird grammar that I left in despite the edit).

Anyways, does UKIP use the word "responsibility" anywhere in their literature? I only ask because there seems to be a real trend of "The Party of _________ Responsibility" are the first ones to skirt it when given the chance.

No that's the Tory line. UKIP are more of a Donald Trump style party. They're not racist but ....

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

(saved as This Motherfucker.png)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Fans posted:

This is a good question. See also "The Queen" and very recently "The United Kingdom"

We are the ghost of Countries Future! You're all fuuuuuucked.

Nah, UKIP's their own little thing. Tories rule with a majority right now.

I think the one UKIP MP would be a great addition to a Tory coalition.

• Locked thread