Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't it within a private business owner's rights to refuse service to certain patrons, so long as the basis for the refusal isn't discrimination under a protected classification (which "being a Trump supporter" would not be)?

In about 47 states yes. A small handful ban political discrimination, and it's mostly liberal ones that do.

Joementum posted:

Paul Ryan seems to think July 4th was when a battle happened.

We won the Civil War on July 4th, 1863 - that was the day that Grant took Vicksburg, the last holdout fort on the Mississippi, and the day that Lee retreated from Gettysburg.

It took about a year and a half for the South to give up, but they lost it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Side note: General Betrayus is the name of the villain in the Pac man cartoon Z which is somehow worse than that one Battletoads cartoon from the nineties, and my three year old unfortunately loves it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

greatn posted:

Side note: General Betrayus is the name of the villain in the Pac man cartoon Z which is somehow worse than that one Battletoads cartoon from the nineties, and my three year old unfortunately loves it.

Oh god my son watches that, its awful.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Reminder, the reason they went after Petraeus wasn't because he gave classified information to his mistress -- that was the stated reason of course -- but it was because he lied to investigators.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Jackson Taus posted:

In about 47 states yes. A small handful ban political discrimination, and it's mostly liberal ones that do.

it looks like just DC and puerto rico? plus NY for "political activities" but that's just wikipedia since i cba to do a extensive search, but if you have another source that talks about it i'd like to see it

quote:

We won the Civil War on July 4th, 1863 - that was the day that Grant took Vicksburg, the last holdout fort on the Mississippi, and the day that Lee retreated from Gettysburg.

It took about a year and a half for the South to give up, but they lost it then.

do you think he really meant that? curious to see how many people would pick that up without needing to search for it, but i'm not a big civil war buff

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Live Feed of FBI Director's statement: http://www.nbcnews.com/video/watch-live-fbi-director-comey-makes-statement-322521155994

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

I have a luncheon with the President of my uni soon, so I am prolly going to miss the fireworks.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump will announce his VP pick next week.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/politics/donald-trump-vice-president-search/index.html

CNN sources say it will be either:

- Chris Christie
- Newt Gingrich
- Mike Pence
- Joni Ernst

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Clinton emails contain classified info at time of sending.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Sounds like Hillary might be sunk.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
But will anything actually happen?

Gonna guess not.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump will announce his VP pick next week.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/politics/donald-trump-vice-president-search/index.html

CNN sources say it will be either:

- Chris Christie
- Newt Gingrich
- Mike Pence
- Joni Ernst

I actually heard last night that Sen. Bob Corker should be added to that list. No link handy at the moment though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm rooting for Jeff Sessions

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

FBI doesn't think Clinton deleted emails for the purpose to conceal.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Karl Sharks posted:

do you think he really meant that? curious to see how many people would pick that up without needing to search for it, but i'm not a big civil war buff

He means the thousands of people who were sacrificed as a token to the Great Old Ones so that they would leave the young nation alone for the next 250 years.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
More on the possible Corker nod.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

No clear evidence Clinton intended to mishandle classified info but sloppy with its handling.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Deadulus posted:

Clinton emails contain classified info at time of sending.

The difference is semantic, but this isn't unsurprising. Every department considered them to have different levels of classification based on which organization "owns" them --- but State might not consider them classified. Big difference.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Looks like he is winding up to a slap on the wrist. I think.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
So depending on whoever you're rooting for you can say smoking gun or nbd.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Extreme carelessness," "misconduct"

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

SedanChair posted:

"Extreme carelessness," "misconduct"

She is so loving lucky to be running against Trump. What a horrific candidate she is.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

At last... Sanders will be king and usher in full communism...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, much ado about nothing, and nothing will happen.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The difference is semantic, but this isn't unsurprising. Every department considered them to have different levels of classification based on which organization "owns" them --- but State might not consider them classified. Big difference.

Not true in all cases. According to Comey some of the data that was classified at the time of sending was not owned by the State Department, so whatever the State Department felt it should be classified as is irrelevant.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

No indictment.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
FBI Does not recommend indictment

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Deadulus posted:

Looks like he is winding up to a slap on the wrist. I think.

Scot free, baby.

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
"No reasonable prosecutor would take such a case." So no indictment. Let the bloodgates be open.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Deadulus posted:

No indictment.

No poo poo.

This will not end any of the "controversy," sadly.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
"Our judgment is no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case."

"We cannot find a case that would support bringing criminal [prosecution] on these facts"

"No charges are appropriate in this case."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Going to be a lot of whining from the right wing today. I'm glad they're not dragging this out.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

nessin posted:

Not true in all cases. According to Comey some of the data that was classified at the time of sending was not owned by the State Department, so whatever the State Department felt it should be classified as is irrelevant.

That's a long-running inter-agency debate -- more aptly pointed out when he talked about how things weren't tagged correctly which is more or less the FBI taking a shot a state's well known laissez-faire attitude towards the FBI and DoD's equally well-known proclivity towards over-classification.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Sounded bad initially but yeah as time went on, I guess it sounds like it don't matter. Score one for Hillary?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Xanderkish posted:

"Our judgment is no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case"
Some Republicans would take that as a challenge.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

WampaLord posted:

No poo poo.

This will not end any of the "controversy," sadly.

It shouldn't. Her actions were at BEST stupid and careless. She should not have been able to get a nomination of a major party for president.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Hope someone is keeping an eye on HA Goodman right now.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

"The FBI has determined that Clinton can continue running for president but also that everyone can keep complaining about her email server."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

dreffen posted:

Sounded bad initially but yeah as time went on, I guess it sounds like it don't matter. Score one for Hillary?

He gave the GOP plenty of material for advertising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
USPOL July: Trump shot the (((Sheriff))), but he didn't indict Hillary

• Locked thread