Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The guy sounds like a transphobic douche, but I understand refusing to use "Zir""Xe""Hir" as well. Not because it's some kind of political statement about gender, but because they sound really stupid. But, the idea that I'd be fined for not saying "Hir" or "Grand Pony Prince" is moronic and brings out my inner spite filled rear end in a top hat. I'll say what I want, gently caress You for telling me I can't.

Disclaimer: I refer to the folks in my life who are trans by their preferred pronoun, as that's the least any half-decent person can do. Though they also thankfully agree with me that "Xe" is stupid. Like Bae...gently caress I hate that word. :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

hell of a good murderer if you can hang someone in basically central park without anyone noticing

Pretty good suicider too

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just tuned into C-SPAN and Gowdy's hair has reached new heights of horrible

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Popular Thug Drink posted:

the hanging is probably a suicide, and thus lack of details published by the media are going to fuel speculation that it wasn'tg someone in basically central park without anyone noticing

Why would a dude go through all the trouble of trying to hang himself in a tree when all he has to do is call 911?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Is "they" allowable? Because I switched to gender neutral language awhile back and refuse to change again

Like, I respect your desire to be comfortable in how you're addressed but some of us have to converse with hundreds of people a day. Coworkers though I will go out of my way to accommodate them because I mean come on, that's just common sense

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009
Will this Linick guy be able to hold up better than Comey?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

Why would a dude go through all the trouble of trying to hang himself in a tree when all he has to do is call 911?

maybe he wanted to be mysterious

nerox
May 20, 2001
Is it just me or does Gowdy look and sound like a Will Forte character.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

zoux posted:

So far today:

1. The House GOP bungled a gimme anti-Hillary hearing and allowed Comey to continuously refute long time GOP talking points about the subject for five hours.
2. The presumptive Republican nominee got into a fight in person with two sitting Republican senators who are now dragging him in the press
3.https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/751125355956674560 This poll came out

Missing anything?

The NRA blew an uncontested layup as well:

https://twitter.com/mikespangenberg/status/751121686733393920

I mean, we all know why they did it but it's still amazing to watch it happen in real time.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if someone asks you to refer to them a specific way and you continue referring to them in a different way, it's obviously just you being disrespectful. even if you think it sounds stupid. especially if you think it sounds stupid. it's an incredibly small thing to comply with and if you can't throw that bone out to the people who do care how they're talked to then you're a jackass

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

The NRA blew an uncontested layup as well:

https://twitter.com/mikespangenberg/status/751121686733393920

I mean, we all know why they did it but it's still amazing to watch it happen in real time.

What's the gimmie NRA answer to this?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Epic High Five posted:

Is "they" allowable? Because I switched to gender neutral language awhile back and refuse to change again

Like, I respect your desire to be comfortable in how you're addressed but some of us have to converse with hundreds of people a day. Coworkers though I will go out of my way to accommodate them because I mean come on, that's just common sense

I suspect it goes without saying, but I'm pretty sure Volokh is just using the hir/xie thing as a smokescreen for wanting to use "he/him/his" for trans women because that is what the regulation is primarily designed to target, not the hir/xie thing.

I mean, I don't think I've ever seen someone seriously demand people use hir/xie outside of furries on LiveJournal, so it's probably about as much of an imaginary strawman as the evil trans woman sneaking into womens' bathrooms to rape them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gfsincere posted:

What a weak rear end statement. Can't wait until we have a black president.

He literally can't. Any statement he makes would loving torch any DOJ investigation and charge that could be made.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

What letter is he talking about? Why are the Democrats angry now?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Epic High Five posted:

Or just refer to everyone by their family name when available.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm not sure about this tactic, why is Cummings going after these two with a bat?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

So if I understand it right -

2 E-mails were marked classified at the time they were sent to her. They were both inaccurately marked, and shouldn't have been labeled classified.

So, basically, Hillary is being attacked because she was sent 2 E-mails by a single member of her staff who made a mistake and forgot to remove classification on non-classified information.

What happened to the hundred and thirteen emails thing from the decision not to recommend indictment report?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

I'm not sure about this tactic, why is Cummings going after these two with a bat?

From what I can tell, he thinks that their offices leaked information that helped the GOP keep this poo poo show going.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

zoux posted:

Anything outside of "no comment". Maybe if they were sooooooo dedicated for their stated purpose of being a national organization that represents gun owners, maybe throwing the smallest of bones out for someone who abided and practiced what the NRA preached would be considered "A Good PR Move".

Their silence is deafening and just cements the fact that they're an organization that only represents white gun owners.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CannonFodder posted:

'comrade' is a perfectly servicable word

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

If you're going to do TVIV style posting it would be cool if you at least dropped some tiny hints as to what you're reacting to for those of us that aren't watching.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

zoux posted:

Liberal demonization of lawful gun owners has set police on edge? Like literally anything other than "no comment"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I suspect it goes without saying, but I'm pretty sure Volokh is just using the hir/xie thing as a smokescreen for wanting to use "he/him/his" for trans women because that is what the regulation is primarily designed to target, not the hir/xie thing.

I mean, I don't think I've ever seen someone seriously demand people use hir/xie outside of furries on LiveJournal, so it's probably about as much of an imaginary strawman as the evil trans woman sneaking into womens' bathrooms to rape them.

I've got quite a few LGB and a couple T friends, and while I'm a cis white male I feel like I have a good feel for how regular LGBT people in the wild tend to think. I've never heard of anybody demanding a unique pronoun, or even care beyond people being huge dicks about he/she.

I've seen people who get noticeably irritated when people call their dog the wrong gender pronoun get mad about other humans wanting to be called the right pronoun. It makes it sort of hard to sympathize with where they are coming from

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Phone posted:

Anything outside of "no comment". Maybe if they were sooooooo dedicated for their stated purpose of being a national organization that represents gun owners, maybe throwing the smallest of bones out for someone who abided and practiced what the NRA preached would be considered "A Good PR Move".

Their silence is deafening and just cements the fact that they're an organization that only represents white gun owners.

I think they're stuck because they know where their bread is buttered, and they're going to lose more political oomph if they start speaking out against cops. Also they're racist.

BobTheJanitor posted:

If you're going to do TVIV style posting it would be cool if you at least dropped some tiny hints as to what you're reacting to for those of us that aren't watching.

Rep Cummings is reading the riot act to two IGs about their inability to answer a letter sent by congress with 13 questions, and their response to a whistleblower who publicly accused them of bias prior to the report.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

DeathSandwich posted:

At some point in last month's thread someone posted a long piece discussing how state department IT/organization works and why Hillary's email thing is a total non-issue. Does anyone still have that handy? I'd kind of like that for a facebook guy I know who legitimately does not know how security clearances are handled at the higher levels.

That was me. Here:

Crain posted:

So, with the whole "Hillary used a PDA to order Drone Strikes" as the new chapter of the emailgateghazi-saga, I decided to ask my father what the hell was actually up with the whole thing. Specifically he is a CISO in a government Agency, has been a CIO, has been a webmaster, sys-admin, and most other computer and system security related title/job combos in the government since like the 70s. I know no one else who could have more experience with exactly what this is (As in literally out of all the people I personally know).

So the TL;DR he gave me was a break down of how FISMA (Federal Information Security Management Act) actually works in the day to day for basic users and higher ups (including Cabinet level positions). You may have heard or read this act mentioned in the OIG report that was link previously, it's a major consideration when it comes to whether or not Clinton did any wrong and whether or not what she did is actionable.

So here is how, as it was explained to me in very simple but flowery language, information security is supposed to work.

1) Thou shalt have a CIO. Every department, agency, regulatory agency, etc, whatever. If it's a stand alone entity it has to a CIO. The CIO is where the buck stops. When it comes to signing off on exceptions to FISMA and other security rules, it's up to the CIO to sign off on it.

2) Thou shalt have a CISO. You can have more than one, but you need at least one. The CISO generates a risk report based on what rules the end users want to ignore (because following all the rules of FISMA means you most likely cannot do your job if it involves a computer). Do you not want to do XYZ? Well the CISO figures out what the risks in that are. Then passes those risks onto the CIO to be approved.

3) Thou shalt have the Department of Commerce. Because reasons. These guys exist here to just tell the AO/DAA: "Yeah sure". They pass the buck.

4) Thou Shalt have a AO/DAA. The AO/DAA (Authorizing Officer/Designated Authorizing Authority), who is also a CIO, will...do the job of the CIO and sign off on approved ATOs (Authorization to Operate) because that's his job, but in this flow chart he is actually further down the list even though he's the head of the department.

So if you want to do something and it's against FISMA, which it most likely is, you go to your CISO. You say "Hey, we need this router to get a bunch of new hires online, but the WEP isn't working right. So can you sign off on this so we can use it anyway". So the CISO sits down and figures out all the ways that's a bad idea, all the rules you're violating, and then passes that up to the CIO to be approved/denied. If it's approved things move forward. Now if there is a Hack, the big men with guns, badges, and warrants show up, an IT investigator (forget the actual name for this guy) goes through what happened and goes through the list of official FISMA rules and goes "HEY! You didn't follow this rule! The Router wasn't protected right!". To that you say "I was given approval from the CIO to do this" and show the documents.

The men with badges now go to the CIO and ask "The gently caress!?". The CIO is now in trouble because he didn't follow FISMA rules. BUT! The next stage of the investigation is the FBI looking to see if this was done deliberately to facilitate said hack. They find nothing. But it was a criminal investigation. Now the punishment is simply having the funding revoked since the CIO did not spend the funding he was already given to adequately secure government systems. No one else gets in trouble, but they were all investigated.

Now what does this mean for Hillary? Well let's go back to what McAlister posted (sorry about the spelling I can't remember ). 1) The server was already existing prior to her becoming SoS, 2) She did attempt to enter into compliance for the server and blackberry she uses when she took office, and 3) the server was only for the unsecured .gov email, as far as any investigation has shown she has followed the procedure for accessing and using secured information. AKA: Used the burn rooms and skifs in compliance with stated rules like leaving blackberrys/devices outside of secure access rooms, etc.

Here is how that breaks down:

- If Hillary was doing this the CIO is in charge of stopping her. Even if rebuffed on it the CIO is who is responsible.
- Since Hillary did attempt to enter into compliance she is completely clear of any possible criminal charges. Hands down. She was not deliberately attempting to circumvent FISMA rules for the purpose of compromising security. And single 30 second meeting with the CIO of her asking "Can we secure and connect my mail server for work?" suffices. (if documented) ((it is documented)).
- Even if approval for bringing her server/blackberry into compliance was denied it is up to the CIO to stop her from accessing it and using it for work related activities. That's literally the CIO's Job. Caveat: That's if the CIO was aware of the situation. But: That is a weak stipulation since it is your job to know as CIO and The CIO(s) in question did know.

Final point about the Drone blackberry approvals: My father says there is a trump card to FISMA loosely known by "Beans, Blankets, and Bullets". Sometimes in a different order, sometimes with Bombs instead of Bullets. Basically: If it involves the Military and specifically the Military completing a mission then all rules are out. That's why you don't have soldiers calling in troop movements in emergency situations on unsecured lines getting in trouble with the FBI and some Military CIO, beyond just basic decency. So those drone approvals could have been sent by Western Union for all anyone cares.

Hope you found this extra bit of inside info from someone whose literal job it is/was to do this exact thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/751133678269587456

Nothing from Trump yet? I figure Manafort threw his phone in a lake when the news dropped this morning.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

BobTheJanitor posted:

When Comey was on the stand, the Dems were very respectful. Now it's a couple of IG's and Cummings (Dem) is getting rather fired up in asking them why they haven't responded to letters sent to them.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Addressing people by their last name has a sort of authoritarian air I try to avoid unless I'm wearing the hat of a disciplinarian at the moment

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Make up poo poo like Republicans.

Edit: I refer to everyone as rear end in a top hat. Very neutral term right there.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 7, 2016

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

What happened to the hundred and thirteen emails thing from the decision not to recommend indictment report?

As far as I can tell, those were all things that contained information that was not classified at the time the e-mail was sent, but was classified after the fact.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Fortunately FBI employees are forbidden from having fun.

Agent K posted:

Ma'am, we here at the FBI do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of.

Still one of my favorite movie lines.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SubponticatePoster posted:

When Comey was on the stand, the Dems were very respectful. Now it's a couple of IG's and Cummings (Dem) is getting rather fired up in asking them why they haven't responded to letters sent to them.

I think they're done with the FBI poo poo right? I looked at the agenda and there's an unrelated issue on it, but did they have a second FBI panel?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
CNN says the final decision on Hillary's Veep will be made in the next week. Castro and Becerra are both off.

Final list of potential contenders is:

Kaine
Warren
Perez
Vilsack (?!?)
Brown

Hoping it is Perez and not a sitting Senator.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Epic High Five posted:

I've got quite a few LGB and a couple T friends, and while I'm a cis white male I feel like I have a good feel for how regular LGBT people in the wild tend to think. I've never heard of anybody demanding a unique pronoun, or even care beyond people being huge dicks about he/she.

I've seen people who get noticeably irritated when people call their dog the wrong gender pronoun get mad about other humans wanting to be called the right pronoun. It makes it sort of hard to sympathize with where they are coming from

:agreed:

Although I think you've accidentally hit on the fact that we as a society need to start looking forward to the next fight: dismissing once and for all this silly notion that all dogs are guys and all cats are girls. :woof:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I was surprised by Vilsack too, but he is a competent, safe choice with no baggage.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dexo posted:

He literally can't. Any statement he makes would loving torch any DOJ investigation and charge that could be made.

Yes, because they have made so much headway so far.

:frogout:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/RepDebDingell/status/751072577443991552

Uh Paul, he's totally going to take you up on it

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

No comment. Seriously I support the right to both bear arms and conceal and carry and their utter silence is maddening. gently caress the cowards.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

There's a new angle on the Alton Sterling killing and it's just as damming as the first.

:nsfw: https://www.facebook.com/TheRealMarcialago/videos/10206697256575528/ :nsfw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/tom_winter/status/751132980815523840

Not sure if this is "he was no angel" or evidence that Driving While Black is definitely a thing.

• Locked thread