Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

DOOP posted:

I'm not reading the last 1300 posts

What happened
Post-racial America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DOOP posted:

What happened

A lot of bad stuff.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

DOOP posted:

What happened

have you tried looking at the loving news

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DOOP posted:

What happened

poo poo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Darko posted:

They were partially the reason for Civil Rights laws being passed.

Yeah alright elucidate. Because the only thing the 68 riots did was get Nixon elected. Violence has always been the antithesis of the Civil rights movement because in the end, they have way more weapons than we do.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

DOOP posted:

What happened

US economy added 287,000 jobs

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility

DOOP posted:

What happened

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/751400617495687169

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's not really a surprise. Pretty obvious he/they had some training.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Petr posted:

They blew up a suspect with a loving robot? I didn't even know that was a thing. What's the protocol around that?

I imagine if he was talking about having explosives on his person they decided that the safer route was to blow the motherfucker sky high instead of having him potentially suicide bomb a bunch of cops? From there they treat it like a regular bomb disposal? I'm not sure to be honest, but it sounds cool as hell. And a little scary.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Petr posted:

They blew up a suspect with a loving robot? I didn't even know that was a thing. What's the protocol around that?
Standard protocol for dealing with suspected bombs is to blow them up remotely with robots. In this case, I think they thought he had explosives strapped on him. So they weren't blowing him up so much as they were blowing up the suspected bomb, and he happened to be quite nearby.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Petr posted:

They install Windows XP and try to put it in suspend mode.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cool kids inc. posted:

I imagine if he was talking about having explosives on his person they decided that the safer route was to blow the motherfucker sky high instead of having him potentially suicide bomb a bunch of cops? From there they treat it like a regular bomb disposal? I'm not sure to be honest, but it sounds cool as hell. And a little scary.

they negotiated with him for a while, and decided that killing him was the only way they could resolve the situation, because he wasn't going to give in peacefully.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

It was Texas. The civilians were not unarmed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Petr posted:

I don't know the protocol, but the robot wasn't equipped with the bomb, it was equipped to disarm a bomb the shooter had planted nearby and, as negotiations with the suspect broke down, the cops decided to detonate the bomb themselves rather than let the shooter detonate it himself when they closed in. Shooter got caught in the blast. Cops probably weren't too cut up about it, they'd been "negotiating"/getting shot at for the guy by hours.

Plenty to criticize, to be sure, but DPD seems to be handling the disaster a lot better than they could have done.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hottest of Takes

quote:

Sheriff David Clarke: “I hope, I pray that Donald J. Trump becomes the next commander-in-chief because we need a president who is going to stand beside us and support us all across the country unambiguously.”

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is robot suicide bombing.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Had the guy already offed himself when they blew him up though? Not that it makes a lot of difference, but if they killed him with a bomb robot that's kinda :black101: but not in a great way, really

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Some sort of... robo-cop?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Also you can't just shoot someone wearing a suicide vest because a) they might not die instantly and can set it off manually, and b) they might be using a dead man switch (i.e. the bomb goes off when they STOP holding down a button/lever/whatever), so if they die instantly it goes off.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Inferior Third Season posted:

It was Texas. The civilians were not unarmed.

Considering a lot of the civilians were black if a number of them came to the protest armed I think this would have turned out much worse.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

Had the guy already offed himself when they blew him up though? Not that it makes a lot of difference, but if they killed him with a bomb robot that's kinda :black101: but not in a great way, really

Everything I'd heard suggests that he was running out of steam but still going when the bomb got set off. Cops were worried that they'd close in on him as he was incapacitated or dying and then he'd set off the bomb on them, didn't give him the chance.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Petr posted:

HTTPS

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

sean10mm posted:

Also you can't just shoot someone wearing a suicide vest because a) they might not die instantly and can set it off manually, and b) they might be using a dead man switch (i.e. the bomb goes off when they STOP holding down a button/lever/whatever), so if they die instantly it goes off.

Are dead man switches really a thing people actually use, because I thought that was more of a "as seen on TV" type of thing

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

They install Windows XP and try to put it in suspend mode.

Lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Petr posted:

It's like treating cancer.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

Everything I'd heard suggests that he was running out of steam but still going when the bomb got set off. Cops were worried that they'd close in on him as he was incapacitated or dying and then he'd set off the bomb on them, didn't give him the chance.

Makes sense, but kinda weird he'd let the robot near him to begin with unless he was already dead or dying or otherwise incapacitated and so somewhat unaware.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AP is now confirming the guy's name.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

ReidRansom posted:

Makes sense, but kinda weird he'd let the robot near him to begin with unless he was already dead or dying or otherwise incapacitated and so somewhat unaware.

What could he do? Shoot it?

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ReidRansom posted:

In the press conference this morning, the Dallas Police Chief specifically said that the guy died from the blast.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

ReidRansom posted:

Aren't those robots really loving armoured?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Are dead man switches really a thing people actually use, because I thought that was more of a "as seen on TV" type of thing

Yes, there's a disturbing vid of the Istanbul airport shooting that CNN was playing in a loop.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

HappyHippo posted:

Aren't those robots really loving armoured?

More likely the robot was at first carrying a radio or a cell phone for the guy to pick up so they could talk to him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you guys were concerned that no politicians have yet stepped forward to make this all about their pet issues, Gohmert's gotcha covered

https://twitter.com/bobbycblanchard/status/751433225751322624

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Watch Greg Abbot start a loving war.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

WampaLord posted:

What could he do? Shoot it?

At like 2:30 AM CST there were several gunshots and an explosion, so I guess he tried.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

More likely the robot was at first carrying a radio or a cell phone for the guy to pick up so they could talk to him.

Ah, yeah that seems pretty likely.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

Hottest of Takes

Expect a whole lot of this from law enforcement over the next few days. And make sure you read Drudge's headlines over the next week, because that is what 50% of America will believe is true in November, regardless of the truth.

Hope is a lie.

EDIT: Case in point, the Detroit Free Press has already simplified the "wanted to kill white cops" claim to simply "wanted to kill white people."

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 8, 2016

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hollismason posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the police in those areas try to shut down the protests out of safety concerns.

Ours is definitely still going on in Detroit later.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

theflyingorc posted:

I think the Paris attackers had them or something similar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

In any case, here's your guy.

Now let's see what photos end up being used by the media.

• Locked thread