Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
you loving know JRPGs are all artificial difficulty with a poo poo ton of grinding, don't act like I'm huffing paint over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
the souls games are actually with few exceptions finely tuned to reward the simple act of learning from each individual encounter, i could smash through ds1 and so could most people who've beat it a couple times in a handful of hours most likely simply because through trial and error I was educated in the mechanics of the enemies. thats basic video game poo poo man, nothing artificial about it.

And death is a core mechanic, it's your impetus to learn. Each loss is accounted for as you progress, those three thousand souls or whatever that seem a heavy tax at the beginning are ultimately a pittance well before the end. There's no grinding except maybe sort of for certain outlier items but in a fringey not really kind of way where you can beat the whole drat game without ever giving a poo poo about any of that.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
its fine to die in a video game. Assuming a well tuned experience, all you need to do is get better.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Maybe some people want to play to relax and not to learn a new skill. They should just make an "easy" mode but you can't interact with anyone else.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I think there are enough video games it's acceptable for some of them to not be relaxing.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I just didn't like doing the same mundane poo poo over and over again :shrug:

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
you don't have to like it, theres a whole lot of games out there. that doesn't mean that games you don't like aren't good, or even great. or even defining. it just means they aren't to your tastes. but you can't just make poo poo up about why they are bad either.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

LOL. This guy is hilarious. Actin' all bad cuz he was cheesing the lighning miracle "oh wow that was a great soul? Hahahaha I didn't even know it waa a great soul." Then he hits mirror knight and utterly fails at melee, bitching incredulously the entire time. Just lmao. He REALLY needs to git gud. Mirror knight isn't even particularly hard.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Decebal posted:

Maybe some people want to play to relax and not to learn a new skill. They should just make an "easy" mode but you can't interact with anyone else.

Easy mode is when you do interact with other people. If you don't want online interactions all of the souls games have had a way to do that, too, even without just clicking the "start offline" option.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shaquin posted:

you don't have to like it, theres a whole lot of games out there. that doesn't mean that games you don't like aren't good, or even great. or even defining. it just means they aren't to your tastes. but you can't just make poo poo up about why they are bad either.

notice I never actually said it was bad, just that when I watched my friend play it seemed to suffer from some of those very Japanese-feeling gameplay decisions.

to each their own obv but personally trial and error sucks if there's 0 way to win without first getting killed you know? if there isn't even a sporting chance before getting killed it just frustrates me. it's not just a loss of some souls, your health is halved until you get your body back or whatever.

like Demon Souls even knows that because they let other players online leave hints/clues or whatever. My friend didn't know about that until like 5-6 hours in and when he realized he was like 'ooohhhh this game is a lot better/easier now.'

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 8, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Nathilus posted:

LOL. This guy is hilarious. Actin' all bad cuz he was cheesing the lighning miracle "oh wow that was a great soul? Hahahaha I didn't even know it waa a great soul." Then he hits mirror knight and utterly fails at melee, bitching incredulously the entire time. Just lmao. He REALLY needs to git gud. Mirror knight isn't even particularly hard.

He's even worse than that video suggests. His strategy for the Ancient Dragon was to go through the stage over and over until he'd despawned all the enemies, using only lightning spears, so he could have maximum lightning spears for the boss. He streamed most of this on Twitch while howling "LIGHTNING DICK" as his hilarious catchphrase.

You can probably find a highlight video of it by searching for lightning dick actually.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shaquin posted:

the souls games are actually with few exceptions finely tuned to reward the simple act of learning from each individual encounter, i could smash through ds1 and so could most people who've beat it a couple times in a handful of hours most likely simply because through trial and error I was educated in the mechanics of the enemies. thats basic video game poo poo man, nothing artificial about it.

And death is a core mechanic, it's your impetus to learn. Each loss is accounted for as you progress, those three thousand souls or whatever that seem a heavy tax at the beginning are ultimately a pittance well before the end. There's no grinding except maybe sort of for certain outlier items but in a fringey not really kind of way where you can beat the whole drat game without ever giving a poo poo about any of that.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Sheep-Goats posted:

He's even worse than that video suggests. His strategy for the Ancient Dragon was to go through the stage over and over until he'd despawned all the enemies, using only lightning spears, so he could have maximum lightning spears for the boss. He streamed most of this on Twitch while howling "LIGHTNING DICK" as his hilarious catchphrase.

You can probably find a highlight video of it by searching for lightning dick actually.

Jfc.

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Easy mode is when you do interact with other people. If you don't want online interactions all of the souls games have had a way to do that, too, even without just clicking the "start offline" option.

I know, I like the game. I was just thinking that someone without the controller skill required would like to go through it for the ambiance and the pretty graphics. Make an easy mode for them and segregate them from the rest of the players so they don't break the balance.

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Shaquin posted:

I didn't say it was bad - in fact I don't think it is bad. Just not for me. I find that element of a certain percentage of checkpoint based games to be tedious and irritating, but plenty of people don't mind. That's cool.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I put "dsp lightning dick" into youtube and this was the first result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH69eTm17mo

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
He was still playing when they nerfed Lightning Spear into the ground (thank god) and there's a hilarious rant somewhere where he goes off on it.

E: found that too, getting lucky today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AyWjSDLEuk&t=280s

I can't believe how poo poo he is. Nobody gets to that boss without having a good hundred hours into the game easily. He still can't loving roll.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Sheep-Goats posted:

I put "dsp lightning dick" into youtube and this was the first result

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH69eTm17mo

So funy. Jajajajaja.....................................

I think this dude might have a double digit IQ and we are actually mocking a disabled person.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i thought playing games like a dumbfuck and yelling about it was that guy's whole gimmick

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

Sheep-Goats posted:

He was still playing when they nerfed Lightning Spear into the ground (thank god) and there's a hilarious rant somewhere where he goes off on it.

E: found that too, getting lucky today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AyWjSDLEuk&t=280s

I can't believe how poo poo he is. Nobody gets to that boss without having a good hundred hours into the game easily. He still can't loving roll.

What the gently caress. Not only can he not roll, he doesn't even theoretically understand rolling. Like the first time he gets hit by the boss: "see? I roll and still get hit". Yeah you rolled way too fukkin early and missed the i frames (or as I like to think of it, the grace period). I don't even know how you can get this far in the game without at least understanding tge IDEA of rolling. Oh wait: pre-nerf lightning verk stronk. Nm.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
thats darksydephil notorious badatgames man. more recently he jacked off on cam inadvertently when he left his ps4 streaming on after finishing up a run.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
im gonna get high and play dark souls III later (when its darker out) what do you think of that

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

reallivedinosaur posted:

im gonna get high and play dark souls III later (when its darker out) what do you think of that

sounds like a plan, i hope you have a good time

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Nathilus posted:

What the gently caress. Not only can he not roll, he doesn't even theoretically understand rolling. Like the first time he gets hit by the boss: "see? I roll and still get hit". Yeah you rolled way too fukkin early and missed the i frames (or as I like to think of it, the grace period). I don't even know how you can get this far in the game without at least understanding tge IDEA of rolling. Oh wait: pre-nerf lightning verk stronk. Nm.

lmbo at the old "I DONT EVER CARE I WANTED TO DIE" video game whine coming from a grown rear end man

we used to pick on the kid who whined like that when we were 9 and having mega man sleepovers

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

A CISHET SHITLORD posted:

It is indeed dumb and bad. The only people who like it are people who can sink 12 hours into a video game every day of the week, so infer from that what you will

The only people grinding in dark souls are the people who will grind for commendations in Halo.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
i managed to beat both DS 1 and 2 without significant daily investments of time. maybe an hour or two a day.

you need to accomplish something when you play, like get a new level or upgrade your armor or kill a boss or something, so if you just explore for an hour every day, you never get anywhere

you only have to grind if you suck

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
What I like about DSP is that although he is an absolutely mentally crippled idiot he's also just smart enough to realize he is such on a good day. But also not smart enough to ever be able to do anything about it.

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

You can just walk through DS3. I can't remember ever feeling truly stuck in it. Even if you are, you can just summon a couple overpowered players to kill the bosses for you.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

dog buttz posted:

You can just walk through DS3. I can't remember ever feeling truly stuck in it. Even if you are, you can just summon a couple overpowered players to kill the bosses for you.

is it like 2 where the bosses level up as you do with the soul level stuff? i didn't realize that at first, and spent a lot of time letting dudes summon me and racking up the souls early on, and pretty much made the game impossible for myself

i am going to be a mysterious sexy lady anime wizard in dark souls 3

cant wait for it to be dark out!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

is it like 2 where the bosses level up as you do with the soul level stuff? i didn't realize that at first, and spent a lot of time letting dudes summon me and racking up the souls early on, and pretty much made the game impossible for myself

i am going to be a mysterious sexy lady anime wizard in dark souls 3

cant wait for it to be dark out!

Nothing levels up with you in 2. Enemies get an hp boost for each summon you bring in but each summon you bring in is so much more meaningful than the hp boost (unless they're one of the bad npc characters) that it doesn't matter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

reallivedinosaur posted:

Soul memeory only affected your matching with other players. It had zero effect on any of the enemies bosses.

So if the game impossible then that means....

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Sheep-Goats posted:

Nothing levels up with you in 2. Enemies get an hp boost for each summon you bring in but each summon you bring in is so much more meaningful than the hp boost (unless they're one of the bad npc characters) that it doesn't matter.

what do you mean? there's a soul level and you can only summon guys within your soul level, and i thought the bosses level increased with you as well (maybe not)

i know i couldnt summon help anymore because i made myself too cool for school helping other guys, and went back to the ladies and remade myself

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

reallivedinosaur posted:

what do you mean? there's a soul level and you can only summon guys within your soul level, and i thought the bosses level increased with you as well (maybe not)

i know i couldnt summon help anymore because i made myself too cool for school helping other guys, and went back to the ladies and remade myself

The bosses only get harder when you get into NG+ cycles (or use a bonfire ascetic in 2). They don't level with you at all.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

argondamn posted:

The bosses only get harder when you get into NG+ cycles (or use a bonfire ascetic in 2). They don't level with you at all.

well i remembered wrong i suppose

i just got lonely with nobody to summon anymore and wanted some pals to push the gesture button at

*sun is setting doobie is rolled and pizza pockets are in oven almost ready to run dark souls iii*

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The bonfire ascetics were and incredibly stupid design decision that only encouraged even more obtuse powergaming.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Moridin920 posted:

you loving know JRPGs are all artificial difficulty with a poo poo ton of grinding, don't act like I'm huffing paint over here

yeah they suck poo poo.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

reallivedinosaur posted:

If you're above average soul level range for that area then yeah it can be hard to get a summon

It should also be hard to fail at finishing the area on your own too

All of the enemies are static to their NG / NG+ iteration.

raton fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 9, 2016

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chomp8645 posted:

The bonfire ascetics were and incredibly stupid design decision that only encouraged even more obtuse powergaming.

No they were a good idea. I don't want to play the game twice to get RoB 2 necessarily

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sheep-Goats posted:

No they were a good idea. I don't want to play the game twice to get RoB 2 necessarily

That's why they were a bad idea. It was just a combo bad idea to hide certain things in NG+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of demons souls, just headbutt everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UQtBMKCipk

• Locked thread