Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

my dad posted:

I'm pretty sure we marked a safe egress zone, so I have no idea why it's marked as 0/#. :v:

I have no idea what you're talking about. :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

"Hey VIA, can we reverse tractor beam a Beacon? Like say from I09 to J09?"

quote:

That should be possible, yes, so long as we are adjacent when we try to move it.

quote:

Also, new updates and improvements have been made to the combat simulator! It now simulates a combat datalink, as well as more realistic damage modeling.
You can download the newest version here: http://www.gravedust.com/Lacustrine.exe (Windows, ~3.5mb, standalone)

//-----------------------------------------------------------
::CHANGELOG::

Added a Windowed/fullscreen toggle
It is [Backspace]. Hope that does whatever you need it to. >.>

Expanded the Play area
You now have more room to move and maneuver (about twice as much horizontally and 4x vertically), and the AI won't be rubbing it's face up against the walls as often.

Added a minimap
Which you now need since you can't see the whole playfield at once.
Friendly ships blue, enemy ships red, your ship yellow.

Added Adaptive screen movement
Meaning the view shown on the screen will adjust itself according to your movement and which direction you are 'looking' with the mouse in order to show you more of what you probably want to look at.
...Hard to explain but you'll see what I mean.

Added hull structure
In addition to shields, all ships now have hull structure.
So instead of blowing up as soon as your shield drops, you can continue to tank hits on your hull and hopefully survive.
Your hull currently does NOT regenerate however.
Podships also have hull structure, and no longer explode when sneezed upon.

Enabled hot-swapping between friendly ships
The F1-F12 keys will now shift you to a different friendly ship in the middle of combat.
Also if your ship blows up, you will automatically jump to the nearest friendly ship so you can keep playing.

Added a Team HUD
Friendly ships are now listed on the left side of the screen, along with their F1-F12 hotkey.
The ship's Name and the border around it will change color depending on the ship's hull and shield status, respectively.

Reworked Podship AI
They are now more agressive, choose targets a lot better and are in general 'more dogfightier'.

Shields are now restored at the beginning of each round
Because why not?

Screenshot:

Video:
https://youtu.be/kfm68k58bDg

//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As before, post yer high scores if you feel like it. :)

I think Hbar had the best confirmable tally (sorry CK, hopefully the window thing will work?) last time around so I can draw ya something, orrrr you can pick a ship to add to the next build off of here:
(Plus the SKS Destroyer, which is not shown.)

CK, the plan is to start working on your pic this week. :)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Alas. I didn't mach Hbar's record, but I got close with the Lacustrine. Still, introduction of hull points adds alot, although I personally kept my boost on engines the whole time and kept my side to the podship horde: they couldn't hit me due to not tracking the faster speed or something.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
===========CCS========================
[Helm]
(2)West(3,3)
(1)North(6)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
(2)Engineering
(1)Shields
[Sensors]
(1)Nebula(E-15)
(1)Nebula(O-13)
Rolloff: E-15 wins
[Engineering]
(2)Tractor beam
(1)Engines
[Option]
(1)Jettison(Tone-1) (Does not meet threshold)
(1)Deploy(G9) (Does not meet threshhold)
[Probe]

Majkaüe
(1)East Indies
(1)Undiscovered Country

Scuzzy
(2)West( 5,6)
(1)D13
(1)C8

((I probably should have waited for more votes re: the beacon but I'd like to make up for lost time this week if I can.
At least the slab is now in the same square as you so if you decide next round to free up room you can scoop up the Thenaterite for basically free.))

-----------------------------------------------

Comms posted:

Shining Depths II posted:

Lacustrine, thanks again. I'd rather not just sit here and wait for the end. …So I'm going to spike the reactor while it's still got power.
Please keep clear, and may the currents stay at your back.

PRIMARY MISSION OBJECTIVES=============================
Navigate to the Core Object: IN PROGRESS
Athene scan of Core Object: IN PROGRESS
------------------------------------------------
BONUS OBJECTIVES:
Mark Safe Egress Zones(1/#)

IVANA BONUS OBJECTIVE:
Scan and if possible obtain sample of Gravitic Anomaly for Science!: IN PROGRESS

=======================================================

===========STARSHIP CONTROL========================
[Helm]
- Choose a direction- (North, South, East West)
- Choose a speed- (0-3) (defaults to full speed)
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
-Choose a ship section to repair-
[Sensors]
-Chose an object to scan-
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
-Say whatever to whoever-
Optional
Deploy a Probe. (Requires at least 2 votes) Up to 2 probes may be active at once.
Activate Theanterium Power Cell (Boosts all Stations, 1 use) (Requires at least 4 votes)
Deploy a Signal Beacon -----[TONE-0:[Objective reached]------[TONE-1:[Safe egress point]------[TONE-2:[Extract required] (Requires at least 2 votes)
======================================
All players welcome! :)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
[Comms]
<JRN Cruiser>(tightbeam) I don't know if your sensors can penetrate the interference field, but be warned, there is about to be a detonation in subsector I10. You do not want your ship to get caught in it.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

nothing to seehere posted:

Alas. I didn't mach Hbar's record, but I got close with the Lacustrine. Still, introduction of hull points adds alot, although I personally kept my boost on engines the whole time and kept my side to the podship horde: they couldn't hit me due to not tracking the faster speed or something.

Ooh, nice. :) I think each build is different enough that each one should count separately, scorewise. So uh. You're in the lead! :v:

The AI has trouble hitting you in a turn because they shoot directly at where targets are, and when you have projectiles with travel time you have to lead targets a little bit. They don't know how to do that yet but I should be able to teach them.

Ship maneuverability needs to be adjusted to match the new AI as well, the only option for survival as a frigate right now is to lean hard on the gas pedal which isn't that much fun and not really what I intend. The new podship AI was the last thing I did and I wanted to finish up on Sunday. In future I will probably just wait and make sure everything is better adjusted.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I used the same cheesy strategy of boosting engines and kiting the pods into an easily-avoidable blob.

Once you break out of the initial encirclement it's easy to avoid hits for the rest of the round, unless you let the blob get too close to the edge and end up facing fire from multiple directions again.

Gravedust posted:

I think Hbar had the best confirmable tally (sorry CK, hopefully the window thing will work?) last time around so I can draw ya something, orrrr you can pick a ship to add to the next build off of here:
(Plus the SKS Destroyer, which is not shown.)
Sweet. Is it fine if I save the drawing request for later? I'm thinking of asking for an illustration of something in the mission, but the best parts (like the Core or our first kill if we make one) are yet to come.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

[Helm]: North 6
[Engineering]: Boost Engines
[Damage Control]: ShieldGen
[Sensors] Scan nebula at H3 after moving
[Weapons] Practice sims. Imagine how crazy it would be if they were real this whole time.
[Beacon]: Deploy Tone-1 at F3. Leave this encrypted message:
"SKS destroyers enforcing quarantine in core sectors against all ships including humans. JRN cruiser has been friendly and helpful and requests assistance in fight against SKS. Core sectors contain unexplained gravitic anomalies. SKS Destroyer deep scan and gravitic anomaly data attached, courtesy of JRN. QXO jumpcarrier and podships headed towards core. We rescued cryopods from self-destructing ORX transport at I10. --Lacustrine, [Logdate]
[Attachments: SKS_Destroyer.dxf, Nebula_Scans.emf, Debris_Scans.rm, Gravitic_Anomaly_Signature.wad]"

[Majkaüe]: Boldly go where no probe has gone before
[Scuzzy]: North 6, Deep Scan C8

[Other]: If it's possible to load cargo at the start of the turn, deactivate and jettison one Tone-1 beacon and grab the Theanterium Slab.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

HBar posted:

I used the same cheesy strategy of boosting engines and kiting the pods into an easily-avoidable blob.

Once you break out of the initial encirclement it's easy to avoid hits for the rest of the round, unless you let the blob get too close to the edge and end up facing fire from multiple directions again.
Sweet. Is it fine if I save the drawing request for later? I'm thinking of asking for an illustration of something in the mission, but the best parts (like the Core or our first kill if we make one) are yet to come.

Yeah I'll have to do something about the circle-strafing, definitely. I'm looking into some overall AI improvements for the next version, so hopefully we won't just be flying around in circles forever henceforth. I think more enemy types would be helpful too. And sure, you can bank your drawerin' request, :) ...Though I can't always guarantee I'll have time to crank one out.

Actually, very sincere thank you's to everyone who's played and/or given their opinions on the ComSim, It's gotten a lot larger and more complex than I anticipated, but its been great practice, and I'm learning some fun new things. :)

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Service Guarantees Citizenship

Would you like to know more?
Jack Rafferty, Comms Officer
"We should really grab that slab. The thing gives us another charge from the spiffy new battery we got. Unless we can drag it with the tractor beam... think we should dump a beacon and grab it."

-----Orders-----
[Beacon] Deploy Tone-1 at F09 (to make cargo room)
[Comms] Allow normal traffic.
[Damage Control] Phase Cannon1 (phase cannons and probe launchers have highest percent damage)
[Engineering] Engines
[Helm] 6 North (I09)
[Sensors] Nebulae at H03
[Tractor Beam] Drag Slab if we don't put it in the cargohold
[Weapons] Keep up with the Sims

[McNally] Maps
[scuzzy] North 5 (D08), Deep Scan C08

See Appended Orders:ovr:

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 13, 2016

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman
"Taken that we are in the same subsector as the slab, why not just use up out current one and load up this one after it is used? Seems mighty smart to me!"

-----Orders-----
[Theanterium] ACTIVATE
-- WRROOM
[Beacon] No beacons
--We already have one really close by, seems like a waste
[Damage Control] Phase Cannon1 (phase cannons and probe launchers have highest percent damage)
[Engineering] EVERYTHING (but engines if we don't use the slab)
[Helm] 6 North (I09)
[Sensors] Deep Scan object at O4
--That things is just barely in our sensor range if we get to F3
[Tractor Beam] Drag Slab, reload our battery after current charge is used up

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

We sure did save a lot of time by not taking out those podships, didn't we? Well all right, let's finally drop this beacon that everyone's been so desperate about

[Helm]: North 6
[Engineering]: Boost Engines THEANTERIUM POWER BOOST
[Damage Control]: ShieldGen
[Sensors]: Scan O4 after moving
[Beacon]: Deploy Tone-1 at F3.

[Majkaüe]: Boldly go where no probe has gone before
[Scuzzy]: North 6, Deep Scan C8

[Other]: ACTIVATE THEANTERIUM POWER CELL and replace it with the one floating in space

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Brad Nicholson, Cargo Foreman posted:

"Taken that we are in the same subsector as the slab, why not just use up out current one and load up this one after it is used? Seems mighty smart to me!"

"That... isn't actually that bad an idea. I'll have to see about writing something up to ping HASF command while we got the chance if we do use the battery."

[VIA] .Can we use the battery and recharge it with the slab before anything else?

(I'll also see about writing up thing for comms pulse when I get home from work)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

my dad posted:

[Comms]
<JRN Cruiser>(tightbeam) I don't know if your sensors can penetrate the interference field, but be warned, there is about to be a detonation in subsector I10. You do not want your ship to get caught in it.

JRN Cruiser posted:

Heard and acknowledged, Lacustrine, we will be watchful.
…What are you doing over there?

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

[VIA] Can we use the battery and recharge it with the slab before anything else?

VIA posted:

Ah… Not exactly, unfortunately. The Power Cell can't be accessed from outside the ship, so we can't tractor the Slab directly into it. We need to first get the slab into one of our cargo bays, and from there we can make some power connections that would let us recharge the cell from it.

If it helps in your planning; if you were to jettison a unactivated beacon, it can be recovered again later. So it should be possible to jettison a beacon, pick up the slab, draw off it's power, then jettison the slab again and recover the beacon. I'm not certain how much benefit there would be at that point however.

((
Some specifics:
- Jettisoning an object is basically a free action, (requiring a minimum of 2 votes) But you can only pick up one object per turn.
- Charging the Power Cell is also a free action, but a Slab must be in a cargo bay.
))

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Can we drag the slab along with us as we travel with the tractor beam?"

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

"Can we drag the slab along with us as we travel with the tractor beam?"

VIA posted:

Technically yes, but it would limit our speed rather harshly, since the tractor can only move objects at a speed of ((1 square per turn)). So we would need to stay nearby and continuously tug it along.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Alright, appending orders."

-----In Order-----
[Engineering] Power Cell (If possible, shunt excess/unused to damage control for additional sections)
[Beacon] Deploy Tone-1 at F09 (to make cargo room)

--Encrypted Comm Pulse to HASN Command--
<<HEADER WITH ENCRYPTION KEY>> HA Frigate Lacustrine 9316-SB to HASN Command c/o HAHCSAI: S1-2ZU
<<MESSAGE AS FOLLOWS>>
SKS fleet QUAR CORE
Adv Wpns Hot
JRN ship stalemate with SKS
Rescued Orox ship crew
Adv CORE->grav anom

[Helm] 6 North (I09)
[Sensors] Nebulae at H03 (shunt excess power to Damage Control if available)
[Shields] Sitting pretty (shunt power to Damage Control if available)
[Tractor Beam] Slab in Cargohold
[Weapons] Keep up with the Sims (shunt power to Damage Control if available)
[Damage Control] Phase Cannon1 (phase cannons and probe launchers have highest percent damage, so if additional resources, those as well, in order: Phase Cannon2, Probe Bay1, Probe Bay2)
[Cargo] Connect Slab to power realays to charge Power Cell

[McNally] Maps

edit:
(Gravedust: For the encrypted message, I forgot whether spaces counted as characters, so assumed they did. Hope it makes sense. Also, if you don't want to deal with that, just ignore the shunting power stuff. Figured you might do something about unused energy for each system, so figured I might give an outlet for that. :science:)

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jul 13, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(4)North(6,6,6,6)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
(2) Shield Gen.
(2) Phason Cannon1
Roloff - Shield wins
[Sensors]
(2)H3
(2)O4
Rolloff - O4 wins
[Engineering]
(2)Engines
[Option]
(3) Deploy Beacon(F3,F3,F9) (-1) ((
(1) Jettisson Beacon (-1)
(3) Activate Power Cell
[Probe]
Majkaüe
(2) ???
(1) Made off / Don't stray / My kind's your kind / I'll stay the same / Pack up / Don't stray / Oh say say say / Oh say say say
Scuzzy
(4)North(6,6,6,5)
Scan(C8,C8,C8)

Comms posted:

[n/a]

BONUS OBJECTIVES:
Mark Safe Egress Zones(1/#)

IVANA BONUS OBJECTIVE:
Scan and if possible obtain sample of Gravitic Anomaly for Science!: IN PROGRESS

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
-Choose a function to boost - (Engines, Weapons, Sensors, Damage Control, Tractor Beam)
Comms
Optional
Deploy a Probe. (Requires at least 2 votes) Up to 2 probes may be active at once.
Activate Theanterium Power Cell (Boosts all Stations, 1 use) (Requires at least 2 votes)
Recharge Theanterium Power Cell (Requires a Theanterium Slab)
Deploy a Signal Beacon -----[TONE-0:[Objective reached]------[TONE-1:[Safe egress point]------[TONE-2:[Extract required] (Requires at least 2 votes)
Jettison cargo object(s) (drops an object or multiple objects from Cargo into the ship's current location) (Requires at least 2 votes)

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

(oh drat, entirely slipped my mind, but wanted to let the JRN know about the orox ship exploding)

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

(oh drat, entirely slipped my mind, but wanted to let the JRN know about the orox ship exploding)

((They got the memo, don't worry. ;) ))

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

Gravedust posted:

((They got the memo, don't worry. ;) ))

(Yeah, but wanted to say how we had rescued the crew. They DID ask what we were doing, after all...)

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Alright, that was... something?

[Helm]: North 3
[Engineering]: Boost Damage Control
[Damage Control]: Phason Cannon 1
[Beacon]: Deploy Tone-1 at F3. Please and thank you.

[Majkaüe]: ????? ?
[Scuzzy]: North 6, keep going North 1 when we're out of the sector

[Comms]: tightbeam to JRN Cruiser - I'm not entirely sure what just happened here either, but it looks like things settled down a bit for both of us. If you have any free cargo space we'd like one of those beacons back, but I understand if you don't feel like picking up after these clowns.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

[Sensors]: Scan the nearest debris after moving
[Weapons]: Get ready for anything
[Beacon]: Deploy Tone-1 at F3. Leave this encrypted message:
"SKS destroyers enforcing quarantine in core sectors against all ships including humans. JRN cruiser has been friendly and helpful and requests assistance in fight against SKS. Core sectors contain unexplained gravitic anomalies. SKS Destroyer deep scan and gravitic anomaly data attached, courtesy of JRN. QXO jumpcarrier and podships headed towards core. We rescued cryopods from self-destructing ORX transport at I10. Probe reports Kaon vessel in coreward sector. --Lacustrine, [Logdate]
[Attachments: SKS_Destroyer.dxf, Nebula_Scans.emf, Debris_Scans.rm, Gravitic_Anomaly_Signature.wad]"

[Majkaüe]: Show us what you got
[Scuzzy]: North 6, Deep Scan B4. Go north again next turn.

[Comms]: encrypted tightbeam to JRN Cruiser: "Glad we got the message out. We have the Orox onboard in cryopods if you're wondering. Our probe reports a Kaon ship in the next sector."

VIA: Yes, tell us about the Kaon please.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Well, hopefully the JRN aren't gonna, you know, attack us outright for not helping them.."

-----Orders-----
[Beacon] Deploy Tone-1 at F03
-Tightbeam to JRN- Sorry about all that. We were rescuing some Orox from their failing ship. See you in the next sector.
[Engineering] Damage Control
[Damage Control] Phase Cannon1
[Helm] 3 North (Spaaaaaaace traaaaaaaansitioooooooooon)
[Sensors] Whatever might be at F-03 (Eff Negative Zero Three)

[MotMot] Maps?
[scuzzy] North 6 (D01), Deep Scan B04, continue Northerly

Edit:
(Hey, Grave, since we used the power cell and had energy to spare, did we actually send out that comm pulse?)

Citizen Kane 13 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 14, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer

[Sensors]: Scan nearest post-move debris
[Weapons]: "Cocked and locked and ready to rock, doc."
[Beacon]: Deploy Tone-1 at F03.

+++IT'S PROBING TIME![+++/b]
[Majkaüe]: Show and tell.
[Scuzzy]: North 6, Deep Scan B4. Go north again next turn.

[b]VIA:
A Kaon infoburst would be lovely.

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

(Hey, Grave, since we used the power cell and had energy to spare, did we actually send out that comm pulse?)
((Yep, it got sent. :) The high background energy of the area means it will probably come through garbled, though.))

VIA posted:

Here is the information I have on hand regarding the Kaon:

---------------------------------------------------------
KAON: (kay-on)
The Kaon are an ancient civilization with a recorded history that stretches back approximately 2 million years. Inarguably the most technically advanced civilization in known space, the Kaon have become transorganic beings that apparently exist as energy patterns, though admittedly little is known or understood about how this works or is even possible. The corporeal form of a Kaon usually appears as a single solid crystal. Though small, a Kaon crystal has incredible mass, enough to create a registrable gravity field despite usually being less than 10 meters from side to side.

The true extent of the Kaon's technology and abilities are unknown, other than a well-documented ability to perform a so-called 'Zero Jump', an instantaneous Jump with no detectable energy emission. Nothing is known about the Kaon's defensive of offensive capabilities, as there is no recorded evidence of them in combat.

Kaon sightings are rare, and if there is indeed on in the next sector it will mark the first time a human vessel has come into fact-to-face contact with one. The Kaon play a negligible role in galactic politics, as they seldom interact with or even communicate with other civilizations. Their actions are capricious, as there have been instances of a Kaon aiding a ship in distress, but also others of them looking on without taking action as disaster unfolds nearby.
---------------------------------------------------------

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ivana Sendvič - Science Officer

"Kaon?! Is Probe Majkaüe has been broken? Kaon is rarer sight than mythological Iridescent Space Whale! Let us be the making of right quick getaway, I vant to see them with my own sensors and eyes!"

[Helm]: 6 North
[Weapons]:
[Damage Control]: Cargobay 1
[Sensors]: Scan Cargobay Cyrostorage Section - Ivana needs spectrometrics from new guests for to better integrate them into ship systems.
[Engineering]: Can I borrow some extra cooling tubes yes please? Power to Engines!
[Comms]:
[Probes]
-[Majkaüe]: Deep Scan Kaon vessle if all possible! As detail as possible please!
-Scuzzy North 6 - try to keep up little probe!

Optional
N/A

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Katrina Sandoval, Xenobiologist

*YAWN* what century is it... that'll teach me to take a pre-jump nap aboard new and unfamiliar ships.

Wait, we have whats in the cargo hold?? We have who menacing us? DID YOU SAY A KAON IN THE NEXT SECTOR??

Oh, um, hi Lacustrine crew, sorry about sneaking on like that, the HA said that there was a possibility of rarely-encountered species near the Core after the event, so I thought I'd come along and gather some data. Hope you don't mind, and I hope my skills can be of good use for you. Though, I study the more obscure species, and don't pay hardly any attention to politics.

[Helm] - North 3
[Weapons] - Let's not, they still need repairs and we don't really want to start fights.
[Damage Control] Engine 3
[Sensors] Scan the path into the next sector so we don't trip into any damaging orange or red nebulae
Engineering Damage Control
Comms not yet, but be ready.
Majkaüe: Scan closest object DO NOT DEEP SCAN THE KAON WE DON'T WANT TO ANTAGONIZE THEM.
Scuzzy: North 6, continue North 3 next turn.

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Man, Ivana, how many crew you got locked up in your labs there? Hope you're not abducting them back after they escape. Wonder what happened to that gunner..."

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

"Man, Ivana, how many crew you got locked up in your labs there? Hope you're not abducting them back after they escape. Wonder what happened to that gunner..."

"Is not Ivana what having to breaked the for-crew cyro-storage, comrade! Is was broken when Ivana got there.
Is having to asked VIA for thorough scan of ship though, having obtained detailed schematics of ship-integrity now useless as jump place us into the figurative acid space bog. With better chance to become having rained apun Laucustrine from Good Sensor and Hard Work of Team this can be not again happening. :)

As for labs, Ivana make do with closet next to Probe Bay, is hardly room for Science! Let alone experiment, haha!"

cat_herder posted:

Katrina Sandoval, Xenobiologist

*YAWN* what century is it... that'll teach me to take a pre-jump nap aboard new and unfamiliar ships.

"Is case in point! Another Academicer lost to us from space sleep, only now awoken! Velcom to fabulous 'Space Middle' Event, Dr. Sandoval! Is pleasure to heff you aboard."

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Mick Telford, Junior Tactical Officer Second Class

"Probe Bay has a wholly different set of connotations when you crew with Ivana..."

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(6)North(3,3,3,3,6,3)
[Weapons]
[n/a]
[Damage Control]
(4)Phason Cannon1
(1)Cargo1
(1)Engine3
[Sensors]
(2) Nearest
(1) F -03
(1)Cryostorage
(1)Next sector entry
[Engineering]
(5)Damage Control
(1)Engines
(0.5) Cooling Tube?
[Option]
(4)Deploy beacon(F3,F3,F3,F3)
[Probe]
Majkaüe
(1)????? ? !
(1)Scan Kaon
(1)nearest
Scuzzy
(6)North(6,6,6,6,6,6)
(1)Scan B04

Comms posted:

[Tightbeam to JRN] Sorry about all that. We were rescuing some Orox from their failing ship. See you in the next sector.

[Tightbeam to JRN Cruiser] - I'm not entirely sure what just happened here either, but it looks like things settled down a bit for both of us. If you have any free cargo space we'd like one of those beacons back, but I understand if you don't feel like picking up after these clowns.

JRN Cruiser posted:

Interesting and surprising. We had no inkling living Orox were present. Unfortunately the pressure of time prevents us from recovering your signals device. The Skes are evaded momentarily, but to maximize such respite requires continuous speed.

((Please hold off on new orders till the next round which will be in the new sector. Probably on Monday, updating the map takes a bit of work. Thanks! ))

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
[Helm]
(n/a)
[Weapons]
(n/a)
[Damage Control]
(n/a)
[Sensors]
(n/a)
[Engineering]
(n/a)
[Option]
(n/a)
[Probe]
Majkaüe
(n/a)
Scuzzy
(Out of Contact: 1 round)

Comms posted:

(n/a)

BONUS OBJECTIVES:
Mark Safe Egress Zones(2/#)
Examine Wreck of the Warlock: IN PROGRESS

IVANA BONUS OBJECTIVE::science:

[Helm]
[Weapons]
- Choose a target-
[Damage Control]
[Sensors]
Engineering
Comms
Optional
Activate Theanterium Power Cell (Boosts all Stations, 1 use) (Requires at least 2 votes)
Recharge Theanterium Power Cell (Requires a Theanterium Slab)
[i]Jettison cargo object(s) (drops an object or multiple objects from Cargo into the ship's current location) (Requires at least 2 votes)

Citizen Kane 13
Apr 2, 2011

"Pre-emptively saying this: No Ivana, we're not gathering a sample of the Kaon. That'd be rude of us and they'd probably scatter our molecules across the sector."

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Citizen Kane 13 posted:

"Pre-emptively saying this: No Ivana, we're not gathering a sample of the Kaon. That'd be rude of us and they'd probably scatter our molecules across the sector."

"Not even if Ivana ask nicely? Just a tiny sample, they hardly miss! :D
Is can be telling by look on comrades face that Mr. Rafferty not appreciate little joke. Da, no samples then. But oh look! Sector so full of science, is hardly matter!
Can we at least ask for them to sign space-autograph?"

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Juan María de Marte - Ship Chaplain I swear

On the other hand, we might be able to politely deep scan them. With a probe. While there's at least one large nebula between us and them.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Judy Chiang, Nav Officer

Looks like the fastest course is straight up the left side. We'll lose shields, but it's better than burning up in the hazard zones or getting crushed by an anomaly. We just need to send a probe west so we don't get surprised by anything from the next sector. We can put a beacon at C2, maybe A20 or 21 too. Mickey can go for the Warlock, assuming the Kaon let it through the choke point.

[Helm]: North to F26
[Damage Control]: Phason Cannon 2
[Sensors]: Scan E20
[Weapons]: Watch out for stealth ships.
[Probe Bay]: Launch Probe3 after moving. Rename Probe3 to Bizi.

[Majkaüe]: North 3, deep scan K19
[Scuzzy]: North 6, deep scan C29

[Comms]:
[tightbeam to Kaon]: "Greetings, this is the human frigate Lacustrine. We come in peace to investigate the core event. We're interested in establishing diplomatic relations with the Kaon, if such a thing is possible. We stand in awe of your superior knowledge."

HBar fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 19, 2016

Gravedust
Nov 2, 2011

You're going to die.
In other news:

The Jack Rafferty portrait for CK13 is finished:

No refs, so hopefully that is close to what you had in mind. ;)
I think I will try to color it, and after that I will try to crop it into a decent looking portrait.

In other other news:

//-----------------------------------------------------------
::HASF COMBAT SIM UPDATE::
No new release as things are rather rough ATM and in general very 'test-ish'.
But stuff has been done: Have a look here (Video)

Implemented Faction AI
Previously the AI only knew that Podships were bad, and to shoot them up. Now they will shoot at any ship that is of an "enemy" faction.
Doesn't sound all that cool, but the upshot is any ship I put in the game can be used as a playable/friendly ship, or an enemy.
It was a needful step I wasn't looking forward to doing, but now it's done, so yay.

Added Team Colors
Friendlies are blue, enemies are Red. Effects ships and shot colors. Will probably effect shields when I get around to it.

Implemented sound falloff
Sounds that occur further away are now softer.
Improvement, but still needs work.

Implemented AI shot prediction
They should now be better at hitting targets at range and at offset angles.

Improved AI combat navigation
Added some scripts that can be set to allow ships to play to their strengths. For instance:
HASN Frigates will try to keep up their speed and circle around their chosen target.
Jiron Cruisers will attempt to turn side-on to targets so they can bring more firepower to bear.
There is a lot more than needs to be done in this category, but it's a start. :)

Added Qura'xxo JumpCarriers
They don't Jump, but they do carry.
QXO JumpCarriers will spawn Podships, and come with decent firepower.

Added Qura'xxo Podships
...Yes they were in before, but they were more of a test-target object.
Now they use proper ship AI and have turrets and such.
Bonus: Behold the Podship Experience!
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Malda Hiyre, Redshirt

Alright, counting Tone-0 we've got four beacons to deploy in two sectors. E20's a better spot than where we dropped our first... two... beacons, and schlepping over there will buy us some time to coordinate with the Jiron cruiser, too. C2 is definitely the best spot in the whole sector, though, for what little that's worth.

[Helm]: North to F26
[Damage Control]: Shield Generator
[Sensors]: Scan E20

[Makuje]: Scan B24, North 3
[Scuzzy]: Get over here!

vv Whoops, I meant 3, I wrote that just before bed :o:

Abyssal Squid fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Are you sure about that North 6 for Majkaüe? That's three subsectors in the hazard zone, we don't know if she can even survive one.

Gravedust posted:

Probes are not shielded so they would probably not fare very well in a caustic environment like an Orange Nebula.

• Locked thread