Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
You have a psionicist and anybody with telepathy also gets mind blast, so I figured you'd have been using it before now. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So you read this entire thing and thought to yourself "Man, this guy really has his poo poo together. He is ace-ing this entire LP and being generally amazing at it!"

:psypop:

Edit: Woo 4 pages. Image dump tomorrow.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 12, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Alpha3KV posted:

I think the engine isn't sophisticated enough to handle the fake damage, so Mind Blast is just straight up a huge damage spell. The manuals have several bits of information that's aren't accurate to how things really work in the games. Another one I remember off the top of my head is that gladiators don't actually need to wear armor to get their AC bonus.

I think there are few engines ready to handle the mad bullshit that is 2nd ed AD&D psionics rules and powers. Because holy balls, the psionics are essentially their own subsystem and they barely even interact with other stuff. Usually they even completely bypass mechanics like saving throws in favour of concepts like "mental AC."(in the Player's Option version) Mages and clerics lose out a bit later on since everyone gets huge saving throws, psionics get to disintegrate enemies willy-nilly later on because no one gets a saving throw against their poo poo(except for other psionics) and all that matters is their stats/levels being good enough to ace their skill checks.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

This is giving me flashbacks to that Yuan Ti dungeon in Icewind Dale 2 that waaaaaay over stayed its welcome.

Also clearly the reason Josie isn't doing a lot of damage is because she put 12 skill ranks in maces.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I cant disintegrate anyone either. Savings throws always happen, or every single one of my characters dont have the required stats to do it to anything bigger than a level 1 character.

Thats the last time I succeeded with disintegrate.

And yes, I have upgraded it time and again.

The only real psionic skill I use is Antwomans healing thing. Only heals 1d3 but costs 3psi points so I can heal anyone fully.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Bit late, but if I recall correctly casting a spell off of a scroll can fail if the spell is of a higher level than the mage can normally cast. Still, I don't think the failure rate was all that high if you were fairly close, so that was likely a big streak of terrible luck right there.

I'd comment on psionics, but I remember nothing about them.

PurpleXVI posted:

I think there are few engines ready to handle the mad bullshit that is 2nd ed AD&D psionics rules and powers. Because holy balls, the psionics are essentially their own subsystem and they barely even interact with other stuff. Usually they even completely bypass mechanics like saving throws in favour of concepts like "mental AC."(in the Player's Option version) Mages and clerics lose out a bit later on since everyone gets huge saving throws, psionics get to disintegrate enemies willy-nilly later on because no one gets a saving throw against their poo poo(except for other psionics) and all that matters is their stats/levels being good enough to ace their skill checks.

Oh, and magic resistance! Can't forget about that. 2nd ed. casters get kind of shafted on the offensive front at higher levels; while they do get some hilariously obnoxious defenses, I'm not sure this game actually has any of those in it.

Edit: Which reminds me; if you were having spell failure while casting on mind flayers? Best as I can recall they have a completely silly amount of MR, I want to say 90%. Might be a bit high, but it wouldn't be by much. Just be glad they can't just randomly one-shot your dudes out of the blue like they can do in Baldur's Gate.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jul 13, 2016

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Okay, so, let's have a poke here, and see what checks could be failed. Ego Whip's a nice easy one: It's technically an attack mode, and, apparently, just straight up won't work most times against a decent psionicist. The details are fuzzy because, as Purple points out, 2nd Ed Psionics Handbook is an unbalanced, poorly thought out piece of poo poo (That they only partly managed to fix by the time of 3E. Partly.)

Scrolls, on the other hand, have technically been Caster Only (With the exception of a Rogue special ability in 2E, Skills and Powers, and the "Use Magic Item" skill), but this is a rule that's even ignored by most ADnD games (Eye of the Beholder, for example.) Just as importantly, however, another rule that has always been on the books (But largely ignored) is that, if you're casting a spell from a scroll that you, technically, can't cast? There's a percentage chance it just won't work. So even if the first (Scrolls are for casters only) isn't true, you also have the possibility that the person reading a 7th (caster) level scroll has no levels in the required spellcasting class (or more), leading to a 25% fizzle chance. The minimum fizzle is 5% (1-3 spell levels), and rapidly gets to 70% (16+ caster levels difference.)

Finally, as the ultimate gently caress you, the same rules that apply to spellcasting (If you're hit that round, no, gently caress you, scroll fizzles) definitely apply.

And people wonder why I laugh both sepulchrally and evilly when people try and tell me DnD wizards of pretty much any edition are "Broken" or "Overpowered"

EDIT: Funnily enough, Dark Sun was designed around everyone having Psionics, so, in typical 2E fashion, it's more common to see something with an MR than without. And nearly everything that isn't a plant is psychic to some degree. Be really thankful neither of the games introduced you to Belgoi, aka "You die while camping. gently caress you."

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 13, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Unoriginal One posted:

Edit: Which reminds me; if you were having spell failure while casting on mind flayers? Best as I can recall they have a completely silly amount of MR, I want to say 90%. Might be a bit high, but it wouldn't be by much. Just be glad they can't just randomly one-shot your dudes out of the blue like they can do in Baldur's Gate.

Basically if they land enough blows in quick succession, they've latched on with all four tentacles and just yank your brain out for lunch in short order.

"Once all four tentacles have attached to the victim, the mind flayer has found a path to the brain and kills the victim in one round. If preferred, the DM can simply roll 1d4 for the number of rounds required to kill a struggling victim."

Just be glad they removed the ability for Illithids to stun party members with psionic blasts, grab them by the neck and teleport to another plane of existence with them to eat their brains in privacy. :v:

JamieTheD posted:

And people wonder why I laugh both sepulchrally and evilly when people try and tell me DnD wizards of pretty much any edition are "Broken" or "Overpowered"

This is probably not a good place for a D&D rules argument, but they lose most of their "spells are interrupted if hit"-weakness in 3rd ed and onwards, replacing it instead with a concentration roll that they have a decent chance of passing whenever they take a sword to the face. In 3rd and 5th ed, a wizard's stats and level also work to counteract his target's saves, so high-level enemies are no longer essentially immune to anything they have a chance of saving against.

2nd ed psionics also aren't bad by THEMSELVES, it's more the way they interact(or rather the way they DON'T), with the rest of the AD&D rules that make them a clusterfuck. A lot of the rules for psionics could've been a decent replacement for Vancian casting(skill checks when casting, power points rather than memorization, etc.), so if that system was rolled out across the board, it would've been fine.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Basically if they land enough blows in quick succession, they've latched on with all four tentacles and just yank your brain out for lunch in short order.

"Once all four tentacles have attached to the victim, the mind flayer has found a path to the brain and kills the victim in one round. If preferred, the DM can simply roll 1d4 for the number of rounds required to kill a struggling victim."

Oh, I know about that bit, just saying it's kind of obnoxious to have Frontliner McMurdertrain -buffed to the gills, immune to CC, and converting hordes of umber hulks and mind flayers into so much chunky fog- take a hit or two of chip damage and drop dead. It's kind of hard to see a huge screaming barbarian man swinging around a equally huge slab of metal at the behest of his pet hamster as a "struggling victim": :v:

But I digress; best as I can recall the game's done with mind flayers, and in the great scheme of things they're only a mild nuisance compared to most of what this poorly programmed mess can throw at you.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Unoriginal One posted:

But I digress; best as I can recall the game's done with mind flayers, and in the great scheme of things they're only a mild nuisance compared to most of what this poorly programmed mess can throw at you.

What the loving gently caress. :negative:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Spermy Smurf posted:

I am 3/4 done (I hope) and you come out with this Mind Blast bullshit now?

I hereby decree I am naming my next DF gladiator after you and will cheer every time he dies.

You will come to love that gladiator, just as we all come to love our gladiators, no matter how many times they fail us.

Baldur's Gate v0.03 is a real endurance test so far. Can't wait for the next update. :munch:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord, the giant wave of Underdark bullshit was the game just getting started?

I love how random chump guards in Tyr are still trying to kill you.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright, so here are 333 images and one gif.

Zero combat, so I hope you all enjoy reading the intricate stories and poo poo that they crafted for this spot. It's actually really neat.

Here are the buffs that I load on my guys. Protection from missiles, barkskin, bless, haste, strength of one.
The haste wears off of Jameson really quick. Everyone else kept it for the entire update, but Jameson only had it maybe 1/3 of the update.

I was told to talk to the storyteller, so that's what I do. I am handed a murder mystery to solve. This better be straight forward because I don't know what I'm doing half the time. I'll go get this thing ratified by the Nos-guy who is grey.

She is a storyteller. She has 2 insanely long stories to tell. Get ready for like 50 uninterrupted screenshots. They are good stories to be honest, they tell about how this all came to be and what I'll need to do in the next area wherever that is.

First up is the story of how the Vermni came to be. Their initial mage Lorvus or some poo poo.

Holy poo poo that was a lot of talking. But at least now I know what the seal is all about and the origin of the Fire Ruby. Now I'll have to somehow get that Ruby out of lava? Piece of cake!

And now we learn about the heroes from Urik. I don't know who they are, but I've already impersonated them once. Is this a previous Dark Sun game? I don't know.

Oooooh, enchanted magic items that I want!

So now that storytime is over, lets get the drat murder mystery underway.

I talk to the grey guy who allows me access everywhere. Well, almost everywhere. That red guy with the yarmulke is giving me a bad vibe already.

Now that the bullshit is out of the way we're going to do some grave robbing.

Someone has beaten me to the punch already. Drat!

Well thanks!

This is the rear end in a top hat that they saved with the other nice blue merchant (who is apparently a girl).

I begin questioning rigorously. Burt Maclin is on the case. I'll double check your alibi and be back if I find it doesn't pass my smell test.

Poor Sorval. Wished I got to know him in this life. I bet he had some really nice stuff to steal.

Ooooh, there's an idea! Lets go to his quarters and loot everything look for clues!

I head north.

There are a lot of people here. Great.

The merchant friend (who is a girl) appears everywhere I need to go. I can ask for advice and she'll basically tell me what to do next. Or she'll just go hang out where I need to go next and wait for me to find her and complete whatever needs doing.

North of us we have what I thought were mummies. Training dummies, you big dummy.

A grappling hook? I have a feeling I'll need it so I grab it.

Northwest is a dude in a room, he's different colored so he's probably important.

Sorvals quarters? A book on the ground screams my name.

Looks like a jail with a Draxan prisoner.

A statue maker and some kind of crafter. Is he a glass blower? :350:

I beeline to the book.

Find the statue of the beast and fiddle with its eyes. Cando.

I thought we had an open door policy for fucks sake. I'll come back to this.

I head northwest to talk to the oddly colored guy because he's closer.

I break the news that Sorval is dead and tell him that a statue fell on him. He is surprised that no one wants to come in here because he makes explosions sometimes.

Turns out he's a magic guy.

He gives me his old scrolls and offers to write down a scroll for me. I pick the most powerful one of course: Meteor Shower.

What the gently caress you should have told me that earlier! I would have picked a different spell! :argh: He says it will take him 216 hours to complete. Holy poo poo that's a long time. Nine drat days. Welp, I'll be back.

I knock his scrolls to the floor and dig through them. I find a couple like Web, charm mammal, and something else crappy.

Apparently the open door policy doesn't apply to the prison. Fair's fair I guess.

I am beginning to further suspect foul play. The statue guy has certified that it shouldn't have fallen down and I have no reason to suspect he would lie to me.

Yeah he's a glass blower and he definitely won't sell me a bong. rear end in a top hat.

He does tell me that there was a second person nearby when Sorval was killed.

The other oddly colored guy is a smith.

He has nothing useful to sell, nothing enchanted at all. He blows.

He requires drake claws. Old drake claws. Very old drake claws. Skeleton drake claws. Got it? He's gonna make me something awesome isnt he?

Thats it for here, lets go check out the statues!

Is this a daycare? That's really cool they included something like this.

Statues, one fallen. A few guys are top right to talk to because they are oddly colored.

I find a book. It's a cook book.

Roots. Get some roots. Gotcha!

I find a hippy.

A potion-making hippy! Yay!

That's a long time but gently caress, I'll take it!

poo poo yeah, I've got assloads of money and nothing to spend it on. 5 cure critical wounds will absolutely help.

Well that's pretty damning. I should head back to the grey leader guy and blow the lid off of this whole mess.

But wait, after reading the note I find some powdered glass. Who do I know that might know what kind of glass it is? Two that I can think of; the glass blower and the guy way northwest that makes explosion potions and gave me all the magic spells. I figure if the statue shouldn't have fallen, an explodey potion is a possible reason it fell on Sorval.

Holy poo poo these are kids. They want to play, but none of my characters can play "slowpoke" with them because they are too old. Neat.

Heading Northeast to talk to the 2 differently colored people I am stopped by this guy.

Ah, the two people that are here to talk are the loudmouth from the meeting and the little dude I saved from the fire elementals.

The older one will not spill the beans about the seal. Of course we know what it is for already thanks to the storyteller.

I tell Prosser that his brother is a dick.

And then he lets me know his brother is a lying piece of scum.

Welp, that's all for this area. I head back to the temple area to tell the leader that Sorval was 100% murdered. He'll keep it quiet but let me know I'm doing good and then I will covertly be able to figure out who the murderer is.

No one is around so I decide to read a book instead.

I don't know what this means. But hey, you're reading an LP so you get to see poo poo like this.

The leader shows up, he was probably taking a poo poo or something.

We are whisked away to the meeting.

I thought he was going to keep this poo poo quiet? How the hell am I supposed to carry on an investigation when you blab to everyone?

The loudmouth brother interrupts. He's a lying dick, but I can't prove he's a murderer... yet.

So he tells everyone I'm looking for the murderer and they will most likely be wary of talking to me.

I wait here until the screen reloads.

The storyteller is brilliant. I've cut my search time in half! I also can't tell who is a boy and who is a girl pokemon, so I just doubled my search parameters. Everyone is still a suspect.

Actually I have about a hundred... Welp, guess she's done with this quest.

The leader blows my cover and then doesn't want to discuss anything. Great.

At least I still have a clue... the glass powder. Time to go talk to the two people who may know about it.

What the poo poo I feel like it's been a month already. I hand him the glass remnants and he wanders around the office trying to find a potion that will somehow read the residue on the glass.

Crap. Okay, I'll begin snooping again.

Same thing from the glass blower so I head south to talk to the loudmouth liar and his little brother.

I should note here that I never find more glass. I didn't pick the lock to that locked room where I assume the glass or a potion is. I do other things which trigger the ending leaving this thread unraveled.

The little guy has new talking points.

Aha! Where was your brother during this?

That sounds suspicious to me.

I think you're lying to me like your brother. Where is it you little punk?

He gives me the book. It's pretty useless notes about each and every statue.

Musician

Beast. Wait, mineral analysis book might have more information? I should go find this.

Frightened one.

Cloaked one.

The fool.

His conclusions.

So what I've learned is that I need to find an old mineral analysis book that might have more info on what is going on.

Next to the room with the seal is this room. I begin looking for the mineral book.

Drat!

No journal entries, but a key! A clue! I'm amazing at this.

This rear end in a top hat arrives and is condescending to me.

I tell him I found a key.

He's got a reason for everything doesn't he? Kind of shifty isn't he? Between this guy and loudmouth I am unsure who is the murderer.

This just doesn't pass the smell test. The key is small, and I know someone who makes jewellery and trinkets.... Lets go ask him.

It's grave robbing time! :woop:

That's odd. I only told two people about the key and I fully trust the jeweler/armorer/weaponsmith.

Sounds like magic to me. None of the rebels can use magic, thus eliminating the loudmouth brother. Now I just need proof it's the jewish pokemon!

I investigate the tomb but come up empty.

On my way out the door I am told some amazing news!

Well then I'll need to go find Rhone to get access to the prisoner.

Notice my merchant buddy standing here as a huge clue?

Wahoo I get free rein to talk to the prisoners.

The jailer clerk guy is mad as hell about it.

Silvan is angry as poo poo too.

I interrogate the prisoner from outside the cell.

I caught him in a lie!

I am the best detective ever.

I ask him what he wants.

He responds with this which makes me think I misclicked, but I am 100% sure I did not. I guess this is the games way of steamrolling me into this next bit.

You know how if a prisoner won't talk you need to rough him up a bit or maybe just threaten the poo poo out of him? Lets try that.

I ask the gaoler, Silvan, to help me plan a ruse.

I follow him back to the cell.

Silvan talks about the 'decision' that was handed down.

Silvan opens the door and steps back.

I enter, he backs against the far wall.

He begs and pleads, but I just move closer and closer to him.

Aha! Now we're talking... I move closer still.

Gotcha!

Silvan shuts the door and laughs back to his chamber.

Hey, who is this telling me exactly where to go?

I eagerly read the note.

Aha! The proof that I need! Time to go talk to the grey leader guy and get this jewish pokemon bastard thrown in prison.

Oh god damnit. I am whisked away to the meeting chamber.

Another tremor has toppled a statue right onto the grey leader guy!

The storyteller is angry and points out the obvious.

I've had enough of your lies!

Galinix tries to shift blame to the rebels.

Oh poo poo Galinix is the only one who can stop it!

And he's nervous as hell. This does not bode well.

I show the storyteller the proof but alas...

I am swept up and taken to the seal room.

You see why I couldn't tell why any of them were boys or girls?

Galinix falls to his death (I hope).

And now I am at the foot of the stairs. I need to pull my saves to dosbox and slow the poo poo out of this because this must be the timed part everyone talks about.

Dead people and a pillar thing that might hold the Ruby whenever I can find it.

Drake skeleton claws, I need them for a weapon I hope.

Roots maybe up top for the chef?

Is this the god damned puzzle thing? Ugh.

How the poo poo did the Draxans get here?

Galinix has fallen waaaaay top right. I hope he's dead.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It feels like there's more than one way to solve this particular mystery.

Like, I could see it being possible to find more glass somewhere to prove things one way or the other conclusively rather than, say, finding the note.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Spermy Smurf posted:

Galinix falls to his death (I hope).

So Galinix failed his lizard dance and fell down a hole into lava? Then the hole became stairs?

I think this gif and the Illithid brain soup gif would both make good avatars.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

What the loving gently caress. :negative:

I should probably clarify that I'm including the game's dizzying array of bugs in that. I mean, as bad as Underdark v.2 was, at least you could muscle your way through it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the traitorous vizier was somehow deliberately causing the quakes to cover for statue-ganking people. That would explain why he was so nervous about the ritual - it wouldn't stop his artificial eruptions.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I appreciate a game including the treacherous internal politics of both snake-people and lizard-people.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
You have indeed reached the timed section that you've been warned about. If you're having trouble getting past it even after getting the game to run at less than light speed, a couple things in the options menu might help. Turning animations off will save a lot of time on character movement, the main thing you'll be doing here. There is also combat in this part, so turning the difficulty down to minimum can make that go by faster.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I didn't know I could turn down the difficulty.

I am getting one-shotted by basically any and all Draxans, so I may have to do that before the end of the LP.

Getting screenshots together, maybe a gif. 18MB Gif, so won't be in-line but a linked GifV from imgur.

Only like 100 screenshots for this area.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
  • Get the three elemental items of ancient power to prevent the Urn from destroying the world. Fire Ruby, Promeres Hammer, Lyre of Winds.
  • Get the tapestry back from the Jann. Enter that for the Lyre of Winds.
  • Finished murder mystery, get Fire Ruby in volcano.

Psionic Blast is the spell everyone has been talking about. Gonna crank the hell out of that one this update. It doesn't do poo poo. Never succeeds once, not even on the weakest Draxan.

Screenshots of the area were done at the end of last update and basically the only way to go is south and then east across a wide open area. This whole thing is kind of a spiral. Start top left, go down and right, then up and around and then around and around again to get into the middle. Lets go.

Draxans ambush us, we make short work of them and have to reload twice because they all get initiative first despite my guys all being hasted. They kill Antwoman and Josie outright.

A gigantic magma rock falls from the ceiling. Someone save the children! Oh. It's just me down here.

There are a dozen grappling hooks littered across this level and the last one so I have plenty to spare. But I can't actually do it... what the hell.

This takes me way too long to figure out and since it's timed and I'm still on my super-fast virtual machine... a few children burn to death.

And then I get 10,000XP.

Come with me if you want to live.

Alright, now I'll continue east and I'm sure there won't be any more surprises.

Grrrr, 2 more battles with me reloading after they kill Josie and Dory. If 4 guys get initiative and they all hit Dory for 12-15 damage per swing, and they all get 4 swings with an average of one miss... You do the math.

I find the rear end in a top hat and want to murder his face but I decide to talk first.

Thankfully he dies on his own so I don't have to shank him.

Just west of the dead rear end in a top hat is a bridge that I need to cross.

They blow up the bridge and combat starts even though I'm a mile away.

Dory charges forth into a hail of arrows and gets to the middle of the bridge.

We make it out of the battle. Barely.

I enter the maze, get 1/10th of the way through and it times out.

This is my last screenshot on my Win98 box, so now they may look slightly different.

I move over to Dosbox and it's just so incredibly choppy and slow and laggy and ugh this was brutal.

So you step on these blocks and they sometimes change a different block to a different location. And then if you step too far onto it you will change it right back.

It's like a stop sign. If you walk through one side it triggers a movement thingy. If you manage to stop in the middle, it won't trigger a second time if you turn around and walk back. However, step too far toward another edge of the sign and it triggers again which is a pain in the dick. If you don't click on each individual block you are able to walk clear around the outside of the octogon which doesn't trigger the blocks to move.

All in all it's a frustrating experience that I hope I never have to repeat.

http://i.imgur.com/wDsdIsK.gifv

Is that in-line to anyone else? I didn't know SA could handle GIFV's now.

GIF of the annoying stuff. When Jameson walks up+right he walks across the outside of the block which doesn't trigger the block moving on the 2nd block in. Then he walks back across the middle of that block which triggers the movement.

I am so close I can taste it.

Oh god I hate mazes

What the poo poo I hate this game

How did I get all the way back here? Hint: The thing didn't trigger because I walked crossways and not direct through the middle.

Explosion number 1. I get 4 and then it's game over.

I CAN DO IT!

No, no I can't. I walk across something which triggers one of the blocks to disappear. I go back, stand in center of it, then race to the exit.

If only you knew how laggy and lovely this is to do.

My dudes are all near death, Josie summons an earth elemental and is immediately killed outright.

I absolutely will not play that maze again, nor will I do this combat again with how choppy it is. Simply not happening. I don't care if 3/4 of my characters area dead, I am not replaying this to save their lives.

We are close to the center of the spiral!

Coward!

The Draxans down south kill one of the golem with the first round of combat. The other golem is down to 1/4 life after the second Draxan misses one swing.

Jameson earns his pay.

Jameson gives chase to the Templar that ran away.

The Templar is cornered!

Well poo poo.

I do something dumb that turns out to be smart. I summon a water elemental and step away from the other two with Jamesons first round of combat.

The Templar casts some poo poo that makes my guys not able to move. Well, Jameson still can!

Glad they are attacking that thing because my characters cant move.

Yeah yeah yeah, you'll get yours.

Did anyone else forget that Jameson is a cleric? I sure did.

Got all of them but one. Well done!

There is one more skeleton warrior swinging uselessly at the elemental. My characters still cannot move. Jameson goes for the Ruby.

He doesn't look distracted.

We finally manage to kill the last skeleton warrior.

Run away, run away!

Thankfully I don't need to do the maze again. There is a way out. I should have just come in that way, it would have saved a lot of time.

Ruby in hand, Jameson runs away.

That was a big boom. Jameson quickly grabs the Ruby and holds it over the seal.

drat I'm good.

Stop talking, I want to get back to my virtual machine. This sucks so bad.

I expected something like that...

The Ruby caused all the problems, not the volcano.

So it's like ET's magic finger? Didn't that require all the kids to believe? Or was that the White Sox coming out of that cornfield?

Lorvus was not hoarding according to Foli or whatever the storytellers name is.

At this point I suspect they are the same person and ask her how old she is.

She does little to allay my suspicions.

And that's all the interesting poo poo. Stop talking so I can save.

Even Josie gets this experience in her dead state.

This guy leaves, he better be making my drat scroll. I also need to go get my potions from the hippy and see if the weaponsguy can use the drake claws I picked up in the GIF.

Rhone is going to make the thief work off his debt.

The lying scumbag is going to be in charge eventually.

The only clue to Fori's age.

Now I save everything and put my saves back on the VM so I can walk around and move the mouse without jumping and bouncing everywhere.

I'll finish up this level in a bit.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jul 14, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, I kinda wish someone would remake this in a less janky engine. Maybe even the Infinity Engine.

Also, if you can beat enemies in the face with Promere's Hammer, does the Fire Ruby have any cool abilities?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Wow, Josie is really dead. I can't resurrect her at all.

On my way to see if I can get down the jungle place to that magic fountain, but that whole area is glitchy now.

Edit: Fire Ruby is a necklace, 1AC and Protection from Fire which helps savings throws.

The drat Cup of Life doesn't even work. Ugh. Time to reroll a new character, and this close to the end game I dont know what to do. She could cast level 5 spells, but not anymore!

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 14, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

I am going to save a lot lot lot of screenshots and tell you the Pokemon had basically nothing new to say. Some of them were still stuck on the first quest speech stuff, and this image is of the dead guy saying he's coming when I try to get into his private quarters. :shrug:

I took a 14 day nap so that Meteor Shower and my potions would get finished though. Now that Josie is dead the scroll is pretty useless.

I also got this glove. Antwoman is using it, 1d6+6 so it's better than the sword of 1d8+2.

Bye Josie :(

And welcome Josie 2.0.

Josie 2.0 leads the way into random encounters in town.

The caravan master is here, stuck, for whatever reason.

Huh. Well anyway lets go get that tapestry.

This woman finds me immediately. Everyone else in the Jann village is completely normal. No worries for any of them.

But yeah, this is hosed up.

He's stuck in a loop.

You are in luck. I don't throw anything away so I have both of those items.

She begins working (and finishes) the tapestry immediately.

I accidentally see this guy. He's not on the map, he's just there and I luckily scrolled past him when I was taking a phone call.

I want to buy that tapestry for some fuckshow reason.

He won't give it to me so I take it.

He also says "I'll never tell you where she is, hahahahaha!" but killing him gains me nothing. No note, no clue, nothing. Ah well.

We have 2 million coins, so I do everything I can to get Josie experience. I probably should have just rolled a fighter, but haste is invaluable.

Also now I have 2 tapestries; those greenish blue blankets.

• Get the three elemental items of ancient power to prevent the Urn from destroying the world. Fire Ruby, Promeres Hammer, Lyre of Winds.
  • Get the tapestry back from the Jann. Enter the new tapestry for the Lyre of Winds.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I can't even find a single walk through that will tell me about the Sultan's death so if anybody has ideas as to what is going on please tell me.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

PurpleXVI posted:

Man, I kinda wish someone would remake this in a less janky engine. Maybe even the Infinity Engine.
Dark Sun's a real cool setting and I would like to see more of it, but I sense that dealing with all the "something's definitely broken here" moments in this would only go a third of the way, at best, to reducing the general impenetrability of it.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I agree that they might as well start with a new story if they were to do something new with the Dark Sun setting.

Shame about Josie :saddowns:. Was there something special about how she died that prevented her resurrection or was it a bug?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I dont know. She took straight punching damage to be dead or unconscious. Before I got a turn to check, a Templar cast some spell that did... something to all 4 characters.

No idea what the spell was, Jameson didnt have haste after, but the rest of the buffs were there so that was probably normal wear-off.

No damage, just a white cloud that blinked through. That must have been it but I have no way to know what it was.

Death Cloud? Cloud Kill? Death spell? Too many spells like that.

She was probably unconscious and failed her saving throw but everyone else passed for whatever spell it was.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I mean probably a bug. She is in dwarfhalla presumably participating in some sort of tournament.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Did you get a jaunty level-ending jingle as they totaled up your experience points?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I had my sound off, I don't know about a jingle. It should do the Mario coin-counting noise though. That would be neat.

So I have terrible news. Metal El's Drinker is gone. I got into a fight and it disappeared after one swing.

This game just got a lot harder.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
Maybe Josie got disintegrated? That requires a higher-level spell (resurrect versus raise dead).

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
On a completely odd note I cannot ressurect or Raise Dead Josie 2.0 either.

It's not a magic item on her, I stripped her down. She has no buffs on her corpse, just can't be raised.

So I have to replay a few fights. Just ignore any continuity issues you see in regards to HP and whatnot. Every single thing we encounter can kill Josie in one attack. It makes this really really fun.

Also: Dory is at the max level of 15, so is Jameson. Their HP are 126 and 129 respectively. That jackwagon who did the video LP that I saw on Youtube has tanks at level 9 with 200+ HP. What the gently caress.

• Enter tapestry for the Lyre of Winds.

We put the tapestry back and then activate it with a fan that was in the box just below it. The other tapestries needed activating, so I figured this one did too.

We are teleported to an island.

We start dead center. It's not nearly as big as the map looks.

Houses to the south, one with a giant.

8 steps north is another giant.

There are 2 exits. This one and one south of it.

I thought the giants were going to murder everyone? Glad to see they'll talk it out. They appear to be having some problems...

Well poo poo. They've got 3 problems. Lets see if we can solve them.

I am smaller than a giant!

Well lets hope she at least managed to save your child!

I think we should deal with these guys first.

That's not very nice, I was offering to help you. Dory isn't much smaller than you!

Look how huge that bed is. Or chair. Whatever. I do my normal "look for anything I am able to take" on everything in every single house and find a white canvas. Toga party anyone?

Wow he's a dick.

He is making armor for... the one other person in the entire village?

But did you see that pole on the right side of the house? It's a mast, I take it. I have a feeling I'm building a boat.

I go in the southern cave entrance because the top one looks like it will advance the plot (it's bigger and more gaping).

Poor farmer, he can't fight off the hordes of bugs with his gigantic club. Here's an idea: Don't use a club for fucks sake.

I'll go find her, thanks!

I find a plant sprayer. It's really clunky. I set it down next to a plant, then move close to it, then 'use' it. It spurts green stuff. Nothing happens so I spray it like 20 more times. I'm about to give up in annoyance...

Woo! That's great. The bugs are still there but whatever. Not my problem!

There is nothing else to do here so I leave and go in the northern big-cave.

There is nothing here either. I proceed out the exit and as Josie flies through I notice a little cave tunnel in the middle of the cave. I am unable to turn her around so I shoot out the right side of the tunnel.

This guys are assholes. They think that just because I'm small I can't be helpful. :mad:

Hang on, before I do that I've got to go check out that side tunnel back in the tunnel I came from.

On my way back to the side tunnel I see what looks like a rudder. Yoink.

See? Kinda blends in when you shoot by it at 100mph.

There is nothing here, just a few giants with boar heads.

So not all of these giants are bad, just the wolfpack.

Roger that, I'll take that boat there if she's seaworthy.

I add each of the items to the boat, don't bother assessing damage, and get 25,000 experience for it.

Good thing Josie 2.0 knows how to sail. Josie 1.0 didn't, so this works out perfectly.

That looks to be our guy.

South is a rope bridge that has seen better days.

So I want to explain what I do when I come to a new place. I right click to pause time, and that gives me the 'use' feature on my mouse. I then move it over everything in the entire drat area to see what I can interact with. Sometimes there are happy accidents like the following.

There is a vine tree. And there is an axe right there.

Yay rope.

A guard tells me to follow him. I do.

He greets me and I ask about his guards.

Wait, there's a self-serving giantess up there?

Well that sounds bad. I should keep this in mind when I interact with her.

Everyone said he was a giant rear end in a top hat, but he seems like a nice guy! I don't get all the hate.

Lets go see who they've got caged up.

I don't know Generoe.

She refuses to take me there, but tells me the route. I'm going to go find this dude so I take the exit by the misunderstood giant-killer-guy.

Ooooh now I understand the hate for this guy.

There is a lot of murderizing. He has a key on his corpse.

10,000xp for freeing her.

Okay, I'll look for a chasm. (I never find a chasm.)

I go in the tunnel and find this hut and a lot of drakes. I can't actually get to the drakes yet, so screw it.

Northwest there is some kind of puzzle piece. Ah well, into the hut we go!

I'm not sure I want to give her the flute.

What? I lost my drat crowbar like 10 updates ago.

Luckily she left me one outside. See it? Took me 14 minutes judging by screenshot times... The cloud is making a circle around it by the big pot. That itty bitty black dot. gently caress this game.

We rip a plank off her building.

Set it down, then use it.

It certainly grew didn't it?

There is a narrow bridge that leads to that thing covered by clouds (not the monster on the left, the little round thing).

Some switches?

A hole to the north.

And a part of the flute. Lets go.

The hidden enemies don't bother us much. It's all about loving up their initiative so we get to murder them first.

Grab the round that that pretty clearly fits in the hole just north of here.

Stuff it in there and turn the knob. I have no idea what it does. Nothing happens.

Welp, I'm sure it was important. Grab the flute and we head back to the hut.

There are 2 holes in the ground north of the hut. I take the one furthest north because there is nowhere else for me to go.

Oh, was that the chasm? That never occurred to me until right now.

Everyone is a bunch of jerks in this game.

I tell him I'm going to get the items and he tells me he boobytrapped it bigtime.

Well I've had my fill of mazes, so there is no way in poo poo I'm hitting 20 levers in random patterns until something works.

I don't even remember him talking about this.

Through the cave thingy is 5 skeletons which Jameson banishes. There is an 'herb' here but I don't know what its for. I take it anyway.

Nothing else to do but the booby trapped area he talked about.

They one-shot Josie a lot.

The worst part of this is that it's a minefield. He legitimately boobytrapped it so if you step on a certain tile it'll cast fireball or chain lightning or something. And it's everywhere.

There are 9 or 10 greaters and 6 lesser air elementals. I stand and fight, letting them come to me. I also summon an elemental to take some blows for me.

The fight sucks but we finish with everyone alive.

Yank the rock, get hit by 2x fireballs on my way there.

Oooh lookie!

I don't know what that means so I'm going to put the pieces together.

25k experience too.

I don't believe her. Remember the evil guy? He was probably telling the truth. I save the game and do it anyway.

She takes it and runs away. That's bullshit, I need that flute. It appears to have magic properties... I reload the save so I still have the flute.

I blow into that fucker near the drakes.

http://i.imgur.com/H0hUpOk.gifv
:siren:Cutscene:siren:

YOU BLEW TOO HARD, DORY. Now I have glass powder in my inventory. Remind me to go to the Pokemon glass blower with it to see if there is any bonus for doing it.

No drakes, so I walk to the puzzle thing.

I step on the other piece and rocks go down. That should let me get to the nest since it's the only other place I haven't been to yet.

Yep, they're down. Lets go get that baby!

They can one-shot Josie and Antwoman.

The water elemental draws their fire for a bit. Jameson punches.

Antwoman has an awesome new spell I want to show you but it fails every time and I can only cast it once. Creeping Doom summons 1000 insects that all do 1 damage and kill anything in the area of effect. It's a small area, but never succeeds anyway so I'm pretty happy I grabbed it.

They are level 25 which explains their damage.

I snag a few hides.

Josie is leveling up really well. She's got to be level 11 by now.

The woman hid the baby, she did well. She gives me a Stalker cloak which hides the wearer from enemies and gives 4AC.

Spoiler: No they don't.

Did you guys notice that gold thing under the cloud in the nest? There is nowhere left to explore, so it had to be here.

It can cast some spell. Charm Monster. I bet that'll fail every fuckin time I try to use it.

This is all she says.

Hell yeah I want armor.

He bounces between the forge and the water for a bit.

It's leather armor with 4AC which is amazing.

Josie wears it and she's at -10AC now.

So that's everyone in this camp. No reward other than the armor. The armor is pretty awesome so that's fine with me.

The BeastHeads give us 3000 coin and 12k experience.

Nothing left to do here.

Oh poo poo. Well, lets make a plan!

Tarrasque is a unique monster that looks like godzilla from what I recall of my monster manual back when I was a kid. It will kill the entire world. Someone should find those heroes from Ulrik and have them stop it!

Told you it was badass.

Huh. Okay, I'll use this to my advantage.

Well thanks for interrogating the suspect too hard. Idiot.

She kicks me out.

I don't know how I missed this like 4 updates ago, but I can loot her drain pipe. It's a magic ring of unknown. Looks like Spider Strand maybe?

I go rest and cast all of my buffs, then save.

• Swing by Pokemon glass blower because I have more glass powder in my inventory from the flute self-destructing.
  • Kill Lord Warrior somehow. Enter that room in the city that I couldn't before?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 15, 2016

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

szary posted:

Maybe Josie got disintegrated? That requires a higher-level spell (resurrect versus raise dead).

I also didn't pay attention to everyone's species, but there are limitations on resurrecting Elves, specifically.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
gently caress, she is half elf. Mystery solved.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The glass blower didn't care. No one I talked to had anything new to say, most were stuck in ruts from long long ago.

For instance this girl. She thinks Matthias is alive, and there are no new rumors in town. Except for the whole "Lord Dragon burning down the countryside" thing she's probably right.

He gives me a psionic jewel that does... something unknown. Great. It doesn't replenish PSI points like I thought, so I just sorta hosed myself later in the post. The best part is that I can try to cast the spell nonstop and it won't let me target anything at all.

Welp, lets get this over with.

Boom, door open. Boss battle music on everyone? I have mine ready

This guy yells at me and runs away at roughly the speed of light.

He threatened me so I threaten him back... from about halfway down the hallway away.

Nhimandi is alive maybe!

Korvar is chained up somewhere too.

He tells me all about the temple and how it was for a super-king, then the stupid commoners dug in and started laying their own dead in here which is bullshit because commoners don't get to mix with royalty! Seriously, I have like 5 screenshots of him bitching.

He eventually tells me about a Templar leader in the lower levels.

Cool, that's like 6 steps away from me.

You better not, punk.

Oops, wrong niche.

Found it. Oh, wait, I haven't done anything on this level, not even screenshots.

I am currently standing bottom left. Just north of me is the tied up prisoner guy, Korvar.

The way to Lord Warrior is blocked by a lot of guards.

This guy is haughty. I've never met someone I'd call haughty, but this dude is.

Who are you, anyway? Make sure I got the right Korvar...

Haughty rear end in a top hat.

He says the Freyrs are afraid of him.

He listened while being interrogated. Maybe I can use this guy. Kalak would want him to.

But I tell him I'm in charge.

I give him a bunch of equipment from Dorys chests. She has a chest full of everything, never know when she'll need it...

I am given a page of treachery and told exactly how to handle this level. The Lord Warrior needs to stop writing down his double-dealing schemes.

I go downtown.

The level isn't that big. There are 4 guys top right and top left. One guy standing next to a key in the dead center. He's our man.

You are being betrayed!

Yay I don't have to fight any templars anymore! I take the key to the main door, but I still need that lightning rod for the big door.

The niche right behind him leads down to a storage room and I snag the lightning rod.

Alright, back up we go.

Stop talking...

We murder our way through an ambush and then on the way to the door I'm told not to go that way. I decide to listen and go around. No traps hit me when I go around, but 2 Freyrs are killed. Well worth it.

We bust into the room.

An elemental draws attention, web from Josie stops others from moving. The dead guy on the right is Korvor. Hope he wasn't important. At least now he gets to be buried with his king. :shrug:

We heal up, cast our buffs, eat some mushrooms (to heal obviously, not to trip balls), and we're ready to assault what I think is the final level.

See you all monday.

• Kill Lord Warrior.
  • Save the world.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Creeping Doom is summoning 1000 mundane insects that all do a single point of damage apiece. As they're mundane insects, anything that requires magical weapons to hit -or have some other form of damage reduction- will no sell the entire thing.

As for HP, only Fighter-type classes benefit from Constitutions of over 16, dual classing them with a squishier class type will reduce what they can get, and once you hit 9~10 you stop rolling for HP and get a small flat amount instead, which I believe doesn't get anything from Con either. That other guy likely had single class fighting sorts with high Cons on top of save scumming good HP rolls.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
^^^ Never successfully cast Creeping Doom even on low level Draxans. Never even cast a level 7 spell with anyone now that I think about it.

The youtube guy imported characters and I hate him for it. 200hp is a pipe dream.

Havent had a a beating in a while, so buffing every 30 mins seems to help.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jul 16, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if there were certain spells that just plain did not work and nobody ever noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Man I am surprised you aren't just using a bunch of save states to revert whenever something permabad happens at this point.

• Locked thread