Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Reason posted:

^ - But the leak mostly didn't have social security numbers either. So my point still stands. Addresses and names are easy simple stuff. Also my experience with federal court is that they have their own rules for pretty much everything. The courts are something that varies state by state and even sometimes court by court for sure.

Thats probably true, but I think that its pretty surprising how easy it is to get personal 'private' information on people. When I realized how much info was available to me at the job with a very very minimal amount of vetting for me acting as a process server its insane how freely available that info was. Whats even scarier is you can call up the company I worked for, say you're trying to serve papers on someone in superior court(they don't require you to file before serving papers in superior court) and ask them to do trace and they can look up license plates and addresses and all that other stuff you might want. Honestly if you think your info is private you're pretty naive.

It had SSNs, DOBs, CCNs, and PPNs man. But, again. WA just sounds like it's behind the times. When loving Texas is doing a better job of it than your state there's some legit issues going on.

And you're still, like, paying for this service of this company. That makes it private and not public.

rscott posted:

Oh my god you guys are still arguing about this dumb poo poo

Not so much arguing as getting clarification. I knew how Texas handled this, now I know how WA handles it. Although this is rapidly approaching "I know a guy at the DMV that can run plates" levels.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Insanely. And I see no one (in power) interested in improving this scenario. This poo poo, along with climate change and Mt. Rainier, keep me up at night.

I'm fully aware that my information isn't nearly as secure as I hope it to be. I'd just rather that people have to do a little leg work to get it. Because gently caress you I'm worth a few minutes of your time if you're going to steal my identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

citybeatnik posted:

And you're still, like, paying for this service of this company. That makes it private and not public.

Ok if the definition of private is that you paid for it to get the information then I concede the information is private.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

I'm fully aware that my information isn't nearly as secure as I hope it to be. I'd just rather that people have to do a little leg work to get it. Because gently caress you I'm worth a few minutes of your time if you're going to steal my identity.

Unfortunately that's entirely up to you. Monitor which servers have your information, clean up what you can, and seriously beef up your home network. You'd be amazed how many home webcams and routers are freely accessible with a simple Google search.

I'm dead serious, I've locked my neighbors out of their router while loving around as an idiot student.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Reason posted:

Ok if the definition of private is that you paid for it to get the information then I concede the information is private.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hou0lU8WMgo

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I haven't even taped over my phone and laptop cameras, but I'm not about to post my full name, address, phone number and "I donated to the DNC" on reddit/sanders4president and I would probably get mad if someone did :shrug:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

James Garfield posted:

I haven't even taped over my phone and laptop cameras, but I'm not about to post my full name, address, phone number and "I donated to the DNC" on reddit/sanders4president and I would probably get mad if someone did :shrug:

Since you're not living 100% off the grid you deserve to have zero privacy in any manner.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

DarkstarIV posted:

So how long until this is dismissed with prejudice? I don't think a class action lawsuit will survive very long in the courts.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/how-to-join-dnc-class-action-lawsuit-bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton/amp/

Bernie bros are trying to get Sanders to acknowledge this case.

What relief is that suit asking for?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Unfortunately that's entirely up to you. Monitor which servers have your information, clean up what you can, and seriously beef up your home network. You'd be amazed how many home webcams and routers are freely accessible with a simple Google search.

I'm dead serious, I've locked my neighbors out of their router while loving around as an idiot student.

Might be a little late for that. I've had the rare joy of my SASSmass Santa writing me a letter going "dude make yourself less Google-able".

But then my take on it is that the Chinese government's already got all of my background information so I'm a little more lackadaisical about it. Might as well make the fed actually work to keep up on my ID protection.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

radical meme posted:

For the DNC to reimburse everyone who donated to Sanders' campaign. Probably some other stupid poo poo that a judge is going to look at, sigh, and dismiss while likely giving the lawyer(s) a dressing down.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Evil Fluffy posted:

For the DNC to reimburse everyone who donated to Sanders' campaign. Probably some other stupid poo poo that a judge is going to look at, sigh, and dismiss while likely giving the lawyer(s) a dressing down.

Why would the DNC reimburse them. They didn't give money to the DNC they gave money to Sanders.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lololol

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

radical meme posted:

WHEREFORE, Plaintiffs pray for a judgment:
229. For declaratory and injunctive relief declaring illegal and enjoining, preliminarily and permanently, Defendants’ violation of and failure to follow the Charter and Bylaws of the Democratic Party;
230. Certification of this action as a class action, designation of Plaintiffs as class representatives and undersigned counsel as class counsel;
231. For compensatory, general, restitutionary, restorative, statutory, treble, and special damages for Plaintiffs against Defendants;
232. Exemplary/punitive damages as against Defendants in an amount sufficient to deter and to make an example of Defendants;
233. Attorneys’ fees and costs;
234. Prejudgment and post-judgment interest; and
235. The cost of this suit and such other relief as the court finds just and proper.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are we sure this isn't a lawsuit started by someone trying to make fun of Sanders supporters?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

rscott posted:

Oh my god you guys are still arguing about this dumb poo poo

Toss in an hourly "Clinton is tanking in the polls!! (source: my own rear end)" and welcome to the next six months.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dexo posted:

Why would the DNC reimburse them. They didn't give money to the DNC they gave money to Sanders.

"The DNC tried to stop Sanders and didn't stay neutral like they claimed they would" is literally the argument of that lawsuit. That's how mind-blowing stupid these people are. If you go to havens of insanity like r/rSandersForPresident you'll find some of that concentrated crazy in true believers.

It's a lawsuit so stupid that when a judge throws it out we're probably going to see these idiots cry about how the judge is part of the corrupt establishment Sanders stood against or something.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Hey we're just using sharp elbows like they are. Nothing we've said about the DNC comes close to what their operatives said about Bernie and his supporters.
The "if you donate to the DNC you get your SSN leaked" situation from Wikileaks seems like a knife. Then again, Wikileaks is from the right, so never mind. I'm just not on board with it like some other leftists. I've had my SSN compromised before and a half-dozen credit cards opened in my name, it sucked rear end and ate up a month of phone calls and stress and has had major lasting consequences. And I was lucky enough to have the free time to take care of it properly.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 24, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Good god, every day that goes by on the internet just makes me come closer and closer to regretting voting for Sanders in the first place.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Fluffy posted:

"The DNC tried to stop Sanders and didn't stay neutral like they claimed they would" is literally the argument of that lawsuit. That's how mind-blowing stupid these people are. If you go to havens of insanity like r/rSandersForPresident you'll find some of that concentrated crazy in true believers.

It's a lawsuit so stupid that when a judge throws it out we're probably going to see these idiots cry about how the judge is part of the corrupt establishment Sanders stood against or something.

So they're this cycle's hillaryis44, basically

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Don't regret it.

I sure don't. Sanders himself(outside of the last month) was a dope candidate who outperformed and showed that there is a desire for progressives voice to be heard in the party.

His crazy rear end diehard fanbase can go kick rocks as far as I'm concerned but he himself was cool.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Wanamingo posted:

So they're this cycle's hillaryis44, basically

Except they're even louder than hillaryis44 and they represent an even smaller portion of voters.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

fishmech posted:

Are we sure this isn't a lawsuit started by someone trying to make fun of Sanders supporters?

Doing so would be considered a frivolous lawsuit and make you subject to opposing party attorney fees and punitive damages.

So, I hope some dumbass ruins himself trying to pull a prank on the court.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
(((WELP)))

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Harrow posted:

Good god, every day that goes by on the internet just makes me come closer and closer to regretting voting for Sanders in the first place.

I wouldn't. Sanders was a good candidate, and most of his supporters will retain their ideals while voting for Hillary in November because it's the right thing to do.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

(((WELP)))

Did wikileaks really just go full anti-semite?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Joementum posted:

(((WELP)))

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Joementum posted:

(((WELP)))

More like the Tribes of Israel, right? :haw:

Looks like they've deleted that tweet and replaced it with this

to make it look like their social media guy knew what it was all along.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

Did wikileaks really just go full anti-semite?

I think they're probably referring to people who put brackets in their names ironically, not admitting they have that extension installed (if it still exists). So ESSJEWS

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Joementum posted:

(((WELP)))

lol

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Joementum posted:

(((WELP)))

:eyepop:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Joementum posted:

(((WELP)))

gently caress these guys.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dexo posted:

Don't regret it.

I sure don't. Sanders himself(outside of the last month) was a dope candidate who outperformed and showed that there is a desire for progressives voice to be heard in the party.

His crazy rear end diehard fanbase can go kick rocks as far as I'm concerned but he himself was cool.

Deified Data posted:

I wouldn't. Sanders was a good candidate, and most of his supporters will retain their ideals while voting for Hillary in November because it's the right thing to do.

Yeah, I know you're both right. I think I just hate that I did something that associates me with these "the DNC denied us the revolution this country needs, they're no better than Trump!" people. I understand the wish that you could take everything you perceive as broken and fix it all in one fell swoop, in one magical election, but that was never going to happen even if Sanders won the primary and these same people would've turned on him when he failed to enact literally every one of their wishes in the first two months.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bip Roberts posted:

Also the most damning things in the whole leaks are some minor discussions of hypothetical things.

I'd love to see the RNC internal emails during the Trumpening.

I image that Reince sent out at least one email that consisted entirely of the the word gently caress.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

You have to remember, Wikileaks is largely run by folks who think it's A-OK to hide in an embassy and claim to be a political prisoner because you won't answer for sexual assault charges. They're not good people.

Also, I may have missed it, but the latest outrage among the diehards is that the DNC sent a request to "pull" an MSNBC segment that was airing. To those who understand politics, it's pretty clear that they meant that they wanted a video copy of the segment, especially since it's followed by them saying "rush transcript." To those who AREN'T up on the terms...

https://twitter.com/zachhaller/status/756971739863654400

At least he deleted the original error and owned up to it. Still have people up in a tizzy about it.

I think the problem is that a lot of those still going Sanders or bust were people who haven't been involved in politics before, and thus every loss and bump is seen as a slight or a conspiracy. If Obama had lost in 2008 to Hillary, you'd've seen a lot of the same. poo poo, I might've been among them.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Deified Data posted:

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I know you're both right. I think I just hate that I did something that associates me with these "the DNC denied us the revolution this country needs, they're no better than Trump!" people. I understand the wish that you could take everything you perceive as broken and fix it all in one fell swoop, in one magical election, but that was never going to happen even if Sanders won the primary and these same people would've turned on him when he failed to enact literally every one of their wishes in the first two months.

Not sure any of this matters or that the average citizen pays any attention to democratic party infighting. In the end it'll come down to the tradeoff between trump foregoing the vast majority of the non-white vote versus how much of the working class white vote that traditionally voted democrat switches because of putting forward the Nth straight goldman sachs approved candidate.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Pakled posted:

More like the Tribes of Israel, right? :haw:

Looks like they've deleted that tweet and replaced it with this

to make it look like their social media guy knew what it was all along.

They just deleted that tweet too.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Lol at people giving loving wikileaks the benefit of the doubt

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Lol at people giving loving wikileaks the benefit of the doubt

And yet a bunch of those same people probably don't give the DNC that same benefit of the doubt about anti-Semitic statements.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

(((WELP)))

OK never mind, gently caress it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Wrap it up, Hillarailures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Wikileaks was also a big supporter of the Gamergate folks too wasn't it? I remember the account tweeted out a lot of pro poo poo about it, I think.

• Locked thread