Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
Does anyone know what unlocks tier 2 of the Swarm hunter art for IG? Can't find anything about it on Kiranico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I still can't believe they put Chameleos in this game but not Fatalis.

Chameleos/teo/kush are kind of a package deal tbh (and kirin too maybe)
Fatalis is more like Alatreon/Amatsumagatsuchi in terms of of kinds of fights

e; and luna is just Blue Teo but RIP her

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Wrist Watch posted:

I was kind of looking forward to finding what everyone in the thread was being coy about but thanks for completely spoiling it I guess

you are still not prepared

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

SilverGryphon posted:

Does anyone know what unlocks tier 2 of the Swarm hunter art for IG? Can't find anything about it on Kiranico.

[Guild★3] Topple the Monarch

e: http://mhgen.kiranico.com/hunter-art

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I was wondering what the big deal about the village ending was until I actually saw it.

uh

I liked how the Lavasioth was as confused as I was.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Man, I fought deviant Nargacuga way more times than I'd ever want to to make its Rare X set, only to find out that Evade Dist is a lovely waste of an armor perk, and that the set kinda upgrades like poo poo compared to the Rare 4(?) Ceanataur S set I'm currently using -- wtf? Is kiranico wrong? If not, the fully upgraded set has something like 200 less defense, and eh.

So now I'm back to the armor grind to get the Shinobi Sky set for Adept Long Sword. At least the deviant Nargacuga set looks really cool, in a "Bleach meets Ninja Gaiden" kind of way.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

enojy posted:

Man, I fought deviant Nargacuga way more times than I'd ever want to to make its Rare X set, only to find out that Evade Dist is a lovely waste of an armor perk, and that the set kinda upgrades like poo poo compared to the Rare 4(?) Ceanataur S set I'm currently using -- wtf? Is kiranico wrong? If not, the fully upgraded set has something like 200 less defense, and eh.

So now I'm back to the armor grind to get the Shinobi Sky set for Adept Long Sword. At least the deviant Nargacuga set looks really cool, in a "Bleach meets Ninja Gaiden" kind of way.

you don't want to be eating hits but 490 isn't terrible. and with evade +2 ideally you're not getting hit anyway

for ref I've been doing hellblade glav with 500 def and yeah it hurts when he slaps me but i got through all 10 of them

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 31, 2016

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just broke into High Rank and I'm wondering what Charge Blade and armor set should I be aiming for so the later fights don't destroy my low rank geared rear end?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Why is evade distance a lovely perk? I usually like it on some weapons. And yeah naracuga armor is always lower than average defense cause you are supposed to dodge more in it.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Just broke into High Rank and I'm wondering what Charge Blade and armor set should I be aiming for so the later fights don't destroy my low rank geared rear end?
Tigrex CB. It upgrades at HR5 into a 180 raw weapon with a little negative affinity that you can offset easily if you want.

As for armor meh it all sucks until HR6 or so. Just upgrade your LR armor as much as possible. If you want you can make the HR version of Bujubujabu or w/e you were wearing in LR. You can make the HR version of ceanataur if you want and that's pretty good but it's a pain when all the Rathalos variants are opening up in HR6.

If you take a lot of hits though I always tell my more casual friends to make Tetsucabra HR because it's a tank in defense.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rascyc posted:

Why is evade distance a lovely perk? I usually like it on some weapons. And yeah naracuga armor is always lower than average defense cause you are supposed to dodge more in it.

Not that I agree with them, but probably because adept style exists.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

enojy posted:

The Silverwind armor set is extremely, extremely good but it takes a specific playstyle to use it. First off you need a natural white sharpness weapon with decent raw and some affinity to take advantage of it's Crit Eye+3 and Crit Boost skills. So the Silverwind weapons themselves, regular Narga, Seregios, etc. Then you can't really use Adept with it, since Evade+2 is a dead skill with Adept and Evade Dist is mostly useless. On top of all of that, it has extremely low defense (60 less than the Ceanataur S at max rank). However, once you've met those equipment and style conditions and are capable of using Evade+2 to avoid most hits, it is one of the top tier sets in the game. Crit Eye+3 combined with Crit Boost is a huge damage increase on max rank gear. Evade+2 and Evade Dist Up are extremely strong defensive skills. Getting all of that on one set is really hard to do normally, you need a godly charm and Silverwind does it without the charm or weapon slots.

Still, the low Def values hurt it a lot if you aren't confident in your ability to dodge 90% of the attacks a monster throws at you. I think trying to use the deviant sets while ranking up isn't really the best, they are pretty materials intensive and are extremely gimped below level 6 when the combo skills activate. The easier deviants like Crimsonhelm, Snowbaron, etc might be alright but lvl 6+ quests for the harder ones are pretty intense, definitely end-game content. It's also best to use the deviant sets with a "self-contained" charm that has enough points/slots to activate a skill all by itself (or with a slot or two from your weapon) and most people probably haven't gotten a decent self-contained charm before end-game.

Rascyc posted:

As for armor meh it all sucks until HR6 or so. Just upgrade your LR armor as much as possible. If you want you can make the HR version of Bujubujabu or w/e you were wearing in LR. You can make the HR version of ceanataur if you want and that's pretty good but it's a pain when all the Rathalos variants are opening up in HR6.

If you take a lot of hits though I always tell my more casual friends to make Tetsucabra HR because it's a tank in defense.

Eh, I had a lot of success making the Maccao S armor when I hit HR (Lagombi S is a really solid alternative). You can get Airborne, Mounting Master, and KO with just a slotted charm, which is a really solid set for Aerial hammer or charge blade (Impact Phial), both of which are super fun and strong. Conveniently, the Maccao hammer and charge blade are super easy to get to max rank, where they have above average raw, a decent chunk of blue sharpness, and two slots, making them super solid for getting through early/mid HR. So you get to be all fashionable and have your weapons and armor match. Everything is easily acquired at early HR and having the combined utility of mounts + KO's is extremely amazing for carrying your friends or randoms through High Rank as you can keep the monster CC'd for extended periods of time all by yourself.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 31, 2016

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

AttackBacon posted:

Eh, I had a lot of success making the Maccao S armor when I hit HR (Lagombi S is a really solid alternative). You can get Airborne, Mounting Master, and KO with just a slotted charm, which is a really solid set for Aerial hammer or charge blade (Impact Phial), both of which are super fun and strong. Conveniently, the Maccao hammer and charge blade are super easy to get to max rank, where they have above average raw, a decent chunk of blue sharpness, and two slots, making them super solid for getting through early/mid HR. So you get to be all fashionable and have your weapons and armor match. Everything is easily acquired at early HR and having the combined utility of mounts + KO's is extremely amazing for carrying your friends or randoms through High Rank as you can keep the monster CC'd for extended periods of time all by yourself.

Speaking of which, I asked earlier in the thread and didn't get an answer: is Knockout King worth it in MHG? I remember that in MH4U all it did was increase stun damage by 10%, which was basically nothing, and it didn't even stack with Felyne Slugger.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Rascyc posted:

Evade distance is one of my favourite skills. Frames are and feel amazing but sometimes the best way to dodge an attack is just to not be there at all.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

Speaking of which, I asked earlier in the thread and didn't get an answer: is Knockout King worth it in MHG? I remember that in MH4U all it did was increase stun damage by 10%, which was basically nothing, and it didn't even stack with Felyne Slugger.

Still nope.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Oh, does Silverwind get Crit Eye+3 and Evade+2 as you upgrade it or something? (Does the "Silverwind perk" get stronger or something?)

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

enojy posted:

Oh, does Silverwind get Crit Eye+3 and Evade+2 as you upgrade it or something? (Does the "Silverwind perk" get stronger or something?)

The gimmick with Deviant armors is that once you upgrade it all to level 6 it activates its Soul skill, which in silverwind's case is crit eye 3 and evade 2.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Any tips on Hellblade? I feel like I'm decently geared and prepped but even on rank 1 and II he's absolutely kicking my rear end.

That charged tail swipe is basically a OHKO

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Are there any HBGs that have big fire and ice internal ammo clips like the Astalos and Mizutsune do for thudner and water? The Gammoth and Glavenus ones really don't.

Internet Friend posted:

The gimmick with Deviant armors is that once you upgrade it all to level 6 it activates its Soul skill, which in silverwind's case is crit eye 3 and evade 2.

Additionally, even thought it doesn't show how many points each piece gives to skill before they hit level 6, they still work like normal skills where you need to hit +10. If you mix and match gunner/blademaster hats you might end up at +9. You can also find the deviant soul skills on talismans.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 31, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Any tips on Hellblade? I feel like I'm decently geared and prepped but even on rank 1 and II he's absolutely kicking my rear end.

That charged tail swipe is basically a OHKO

get real good at adept dodging it

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Am I dumb for focusing on the Hidden Breaker as my hammer line? Good sharpness, looks awesome, and has high affinity and high raw. Seems like a no brainer, unless I'm missing something?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Am I dumb for focusing on the Hidden Breaker as my hammer line? Good sharpness, looks awesome, and has high affinity and high raw. Seems like a no brainer, unless I'm missing something?

Nah, narga weapons are solid.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

lets hang out posted:

get real good at adept dodging it

this or get a shield, I ran him with SnS and the fact that my tiny little board was able to withstand his spin was hilarious but convenient.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Fuzz posted:

Nope. A couple people even speed run with it apparently.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Internet Friend posted:

Oh poo poo, thanks. That makes it way better, although still probably not my best bet for Adept. I should've looked closer at the skill screen.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
so I went and fought a silverwind :stonklol:

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Just beat the LR Nakarkos urgent. I think I have a new favorite elder dragon. Such a loving ominous atmosphere, especially when he rages out and the music just stays the same. It's an incredibly unique fight already.

And goddamn I want all of his weapons. I don't care if they kinda suck!

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 1, 2016

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Fuzz posted:

You can't really go wrong with Nargacuga weapons, they are rarely the best but almost always above average for whatever you are fighting. The only exception is maybe the GS, where the affinity is wasted on a Crit Draw set and the raw suffers for it. Even then, Crit Draw isn't the end-all-be-all of GSing anymore, due to how Aerial and Adept work. It's still never a bad skill for GS but you get a lot less use of it if you want to use either of those styles to their full potential. Anyways back on topic, Narga weapons are great. Only thing to keep in mind is Sharpness+1 or +2 is totally wasted on them and due to how affinity works you want to get raw boosting skills (like Attack) unless you are able to get Crit Boost.

EightFlyingCars posted:

The problem with KO is that it maybe adds up to one extra knockout over the course of a fight, MAYBE, and is that worth a whole skill? Usually not. It is a bit more worth it in Gen because of SnS (and CB although that already was the case) emerging as a really solid KO weapon that relies on tons of small hits to get a stun. KO helps more when it's lots of small hits because you don't overkill the knockout as much. A big problem it had with regular Hammer is that the chunks of KO damage were so big that adding 10% was often just overkill and didn't get you a KO any faster. With the Gen changes those chunks often come in smaller pieces (SnS, CB, Aerial or Striker Hammer, etc). So you won't necessarily get more KO's with it but you will often get them faster. It's noticeable when you are playing Aerial style in particular, where having KO lets you get the knockout within the knockdown window more reliably. That's the main draw of the Maccau set, the synergy between mounting and KO.

dragon enthusiast posted:

so I went and fought a silverwind :stonklol:

He's really one of the easier ones too, Dreadking and Dreadqueen are fuckin assholes goddam.

Squidtentacle posted:

Just beat the LR Nakarkos urgent. I think I have a new favorite elder dragon. Such a loving ominous atmosphere, especially when he rages out and the music just stays the same. It's an incredibly unique fight already.

And goddamn I want all of his weapons. I don't care of they kinda suck!

His alternate HR weapons are really good actually, so there's no harm in grabbing the boney bones now and then just switching them over once you start doing HR Nakarkos.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

AttackBacon posted:

He's really one of the easier ones too, Dreadking and Dreadqueen are fuckin assholes goddam.

I think of all of the ones I've fought Arzuros was the toughest, oddly enough. Stonefist was pretty easy but by level ten he does a crazy amount of damage. As a gunner if you haven't nearly maxed your defenses he'll one shot you with a single swipe from his big meaty claw.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I'm using the Silverwind set with striker switch axe (either the Hellblade Glavenus one or the hyper Seregios one if I want some slots) and once I get the energy charge + demon riot combo going, I can often flinch-lock a monster just by hitting it in the head repeatedly. Evasion +2 is also frequently preferable to adept dodges in terms of controlling your position, putting out more DPS, and staying safe from rapid followup attacks; it's only weaker against attacks with a long damage window, like Khezu electric clouds and Akantor's huge slow tail swipes and bites.

Speaking of rapid followup attacks, how the hell is hyper Zinogre so much more awesome/terrifying than every other hyper monster in the game?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squidtentacle posted:

I've always liked the Fatalises in a thematic sense. When every other monster is so creative, it feels like it makes them unique that they're the "generic" castle-conquering four-legged dragons they are. Plus White Fatalis brought us one of the absolute best songs in the series, so I give him slack.

Conversely Alatreon is an interesting concept, but the execution feels...not as impactful to me. Equipment is awesome, though.

I really like Alatreon in part because of its execution, really; "a dragon that has all the elemental powers" is up there with "a dragon, but it's the strongest monster ever like you don't even know" for groan-inducing concepts, but then it puts a twist on it with "...But it's unstable and can't actually control that much power" that makes it neat and keeps it from being Mary Sue, the Black Dragon, and the execution sells that twist pretty well I think.

After Alatreon sees you, it flips the gently caress out and spends the entire rest of the battle in a state of immense agitation, to put it lightly, roaring and writhing and thrashing and screaming and just acting like it's out of its mind (which is probably is) and pissed off at the whole world. All of its attacks are extremely inelegant, too; it doesn't have things like the focused beams or fancy techniques other monsters have, it just throws around immense amounts of power, blasting the poo poo out of things, because that's all it can do. It's incapable of acting with finesse and just lashes out at everything around it. It sells the idea of a living natural disaster pretty well, to me; it's a dragon that's been driven completely insane by the power coursing through its body and is a threat to everything around it.

(On something of a tangent, I actually really like the battle with it too, really. It's hard, but it doesn't feel unfair; Alatreon is constantly thrashing around and keeps up the pressure, and if it hits you it'll hurt, but it's not cheap and doesn't OHKO non-gunners or anything. It's actually fun, in a really tense way, unlike a lot of the endgame baddies.)

Conversely, the Fatalis trio are just... Really powerful dragons. That's it. They're the strongest, their gear is the best (nearly every Fatalis weapon obsoleted everything comparable in 4U, if I recall correctly, and their armor was pretty insane too), and they sort of overshadow other things whenever they're in a game, if that makes sense. (Though White Fatalis does have a pretty good theme.)

Squidtentacle posted:

And goddamn I want all of his weapons. I don't care if they kinda suck!

Nakarkos is amazing and I think it's one of if not my favorite monster in the series too. A giant horrible bone dragon that's actually a massive cuttlefish-like creature wearing the bones of its prey, spitting disgusting glue everywhere and all that is just fantastic.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 1, 2016

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Nakarkos is neat as gently caress. I need to get back in there and get a closer look at him.

Plus as someone who has a boner for the tiny glimpses of MonHun lore you get in the games, I'd love to know more about Wyvern's End, what with it being supposedly forbidden and everything.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I just wish they even put in 10% of the effort to keep the cutscenes for the monsters. Nakarkos could be cool but he just shows up and there's no foreshadowing or personality. I didn't even know it was supposed to be some weird squid thing till after the fight.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just wish they even put in 10% of the effort to keep the cutscenes for the monsters. Nakarkos could be cool but he just shows up and there's no foreshadowing or personality. I didn't even know it was supposed to be some weird squid thing till after the fight.

Well, the first time you fight him you're supposed to go in thinking it's a two headed dragon.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I just wish they even put in 10% of the effort to keep the cutscenes for the monsters. Nakarkos could be cool but he just shows up and there's no foreshadowing or personality. I didn't even know it *spoiler*

That's because that isn't revealed until the HR fight, where it's fairly explicit. LR, you're supposed to tell there's more to it than meets the eye but never get a clear view of what. As for it just showing up, well, NPCs hinted at it and stuff for a while before you actually get the mission to fight it, but yeah, I wish it got a badass intro video the way Dalamadur and such did.

Meldonox posted:

Nakarkos is neat as gently caress. I need to get back in there and get a closer look at him.

Plus as someone who has a boner for the tiny glimpses of MonHun lore you get in the games, I'd love to know more about Wyvern's End, what with it being supposedly forbidden and everything.

I think the deal with Wyvern's End is just that it's where Nakarkos lives. It's forbidden because Nakarkos kills and eats everything that comes around (which is a common reason for things to be forbidden in MH; the Sacred Land can't even be flown over because Alatreon will attack passing airships even), and all the bones are those of its victims. Nakarkos is cool as hell but Capcom seems to have done a "this monster is mysterious and came out of nowhere as far as we know" for its story unfortunately.

Something interesting, though, is that apparently Nakarkos is what killed the Shen Gaoren whose corpse you can see in area 10 of the Jurassic Frontier. Though for some reason it seems to have left Lao's skull there, which is odd.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Okay, I'm lost. How do I advance the village quests? I've gotten the grand majority of the level 3 quests done and still nothing. Is there something specific I have to do?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Yeah, I don't mean to discredit Alatreon at all. It's a very well-executed concept, though I couldn't stand fighting him in 3U. It's just a matter of preference, I guess; in a setting where so many of the creatures are mostly just animals, having what is very clearly a malevolent creature is something I really appreciate.

Especially when you start to get into the nature of Fatalis. Schrade was an extremely vibrant and benevolent kingdom that was out of nowhere not only demolished, but actually cursed, from the way people talk about it. Fatalis came out of nowhere and only sticks to Schrade, and wearing his armor will make you start breaking down mentally. In Frontier, one of the sets even has a unique effect when you faint, where the spirit of Fatalis will actually take over the hunter, granting pretty much every bonus in the book for several seconds until the hunter suddenly collapses. What if the fall of Schrade came from inside, and Fatalis was a hunter like us who became possessed? Super magical bullshit conjecture, yeah, but I really like looking into that kind of thing. In the end it's mostly preference, though.

As for Nakarkos, you've basically described why I think he's so great. The way the environment changes when he's enraged is so incredibly striking, too, and I love that the heads he comes up with look uncannily like monsters you know, but not nearly identical. It really does a great job of building the atmosphere that something is incredibly wrong with this place. You can see why people really, really don't want to go there.

The change in his equipment is really fascinating, too. It all starts out as bones that reference the spirits of the dead and remnants of times long forgotten, but then suddenly turn into these bizarre, alien forms that reference celestial beings powerful enough to order the cosmos. The first forms all talk about destruction, death, and chaos, but the second ones all talk about order, rebirth, and things beyond our existence. It's not a mythical viewpoint that's been shown before in the series, I think.

Edit: I do wish that it had a much more cinematic cutscene, but I think that a really big part of its impact is that everyone keeps saying it's a two-headed dragon, and when you have to go confront it you know something is really wrong with that assessment but you can't quite put your finger on it until an entire rank later.

Squidtentacle fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 1, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pollyanna posted:

Okay, I'm lost. How do I advance the village quests? I've gotten the grand majority of the level 3 quests done and still nothing. Is there something specific I have to do?

Have you done all the hunts that introduce a monster with a cutscene? They sometimes unlock more quests, including Villager requests. The Bherna questlady also explicitly tells you to do Tumultuous Sprouts if you've unlocked that, otherwise do more Village requests.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I would be 100% behind a huge dry lore encyclopedia. I don't want a lovely novelization, I want a textbook.

Pollyanna posted:

What I did was run through every village-specific quest and any Wycademy quest that introduced a new monster. I probably did a few more than I needed, but it kept things moving pretty smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squidtentacle posted:

Yeah, I don't mean to discredit Alatreon at all. It's a very well-executed concept, though I couldn't stand fighting him in 3U. It's just a matter of preference, I guess; in a setting where so many of the creatures are mostly just animals, having what is very clearly a malevolent creature is something I really appreciate.

Especially when you start to get into the nature of Fatalis. Schrade was an extremely vibrant and benevolent kingdom that was out of nowhere not only demolished, but actually cursed, from the way people talk about it. Fatalis came out of nowhere and only sticks to Schrade, and wearing his armor will make you start breaking down mentally. In Frontier, one of the sets even has a unique effect when you faint, where the spirit of Fatalis will actually take over the hunter, granting pretty much every bonus in the book for several seconds until the hunter suddenly collapses. What if the fall of Schrade came from inside, and Fatalis was a hunter like us who became possessed? Super magical bullshit conjecture, yeah, but I really like looking into that kind of thing. In the end it's mostly preference, though.

As for Nakarkos, you've basically described why I think he's so great. The way the environment changes when he's enraged is so incredibly striking, too, and I love that the heads he comes up with look uncannily like monsters you know, but not nearly identical. It really does a great job of building the atmosphere that something is incredibly wrong with this place. You can see why people really, really don't want to go there.

The change in his equipment is really fascinating, too. It all starts out as bones that reference the spirits of the dead and remnants of times long forgotten, but then suddenly turn into these bizarre, alien forms that reference celestial beings powerful enough to order the cosmos. The first forms all talk about destruction, death, and chaos, but the second ones all talk about order, rebirth, and things beyond our existence. It's not a mythical viewpoint that's been shown before in the series, I think.

I was not aware of that stuff re: Fatalis, actually. I knew it was associated with the fall of Schrade, but from what I heard it sounded like Fatalis just wiped it out personally, which is part of why I disliked it; other elder dragons are threats to, like, a city maybe, with only things like Yama Tsukami devouring swathes of forests or Dalamadur potentially being a massive threat exceeding that, though things like Amatsu or Alatreon rampaging instead of sticking to their dens would probably take out a lot until they're stopped too. Compared to that, Fatalis apparently ending a civilization, in addition to its gear always being The Best (though interestingly it's not in this game; the Black sets are clearly Fatalis gear but don't just beat everything else in category outright this time, which is nice), is just too much. I'd feel similar about Alatreon if, rather that being driven mad to the point it's actually less threatening or effective than it could be, it had full mastery of all the elements and whatnot and were The Best Dragon.

Despite harping on Fatalis just being A Dragon, that's really not what bothers me about it, reflecting on things. I don't really mind that, it's just an easy thing to hit it in. It's that they oversell it so hard whenever it's around; it can't just be a really powerful dragon the way every other elder dragon is, it's the strongest and most dangerous dragon and a complete mystery but also this legendary and badass thing and its gear outclasses everything else and on and on and on. It being just a dragon adds to that somewhat, though nearly anything wouldn't live up to the hype, and nothing we see of it suggests that it's on the level we're told it is. Like I mentioned above, the only thing I can recall being described as such an apocalyptic threat as Fatalis supposedly is is Dalamadur, and given that it's a massive serpent that wraps around mountains it being such a calamity is conceivable. It feels like a creator's pet monster, really, is the essence of what really gets to me about it; if it were just another elder dragon, albeit one that's especially strong and whatnot so it could do things like drive away Lao and whatnot like it did in the old games, and its gear wasn't always The Best, I wouldn't mind it nearly as much. It feels like there's just too much hype for it for what it is, though.

I do like the weird lore stuff, though. I'm interested in all that weird stuff in these games, even if it rarely comes up. Schrade's an interesting mystery, and I want to know things like if the Knight of Alatrea is named after Alatreon, or vice versa, or they're both named after something else ("Alatrea" sounds like it could be a city or country), and what's up with the story of the Knight fighting the gods, and heck, what the gods of the Monster Hunter world are at all (it seems like they'd have interesting religions, to say the least), and so on. I think they're against overtly supernatural stuff in the game (Nakarkos actually came from a really old concept they had for a bone dragon that they scrapped because they didn't want something outright magic in the game or something), but the stuff you said about Fatalis is intriguing. I like it better than "the coolest dragon ever kills everyone", at least.

Pollyanna posted:

There are certain "key quests" that need to be done to unlock the next level of quests. They're actually the only quests that need to be done, in fact; you could theoretically ignore 75-90% of the quests and just do the keys, if you knew what they were.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 1, 2016

• Locked thread