Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Do they still sell Sparks in america?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

You're not wrong. I consider myself lucky to live in the northeastern US where Yuengling is sold. Relatively cheap and tastes very good, especially with some barbeque.
I generally keep a case of Yuengling around, it's my go-to garage and yard beer.

Oh hell yes, bookmarked

928 is having a pre-purchase inspection done, wonder how much poo poo they'll find. Good news is the shop has amazingly comfortable couches in the waiting room. Finishing up some work crap then taking a nap here because why the hell not.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Phone posted:

Snapshot is a wheat, broheim.

Okay... and?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fridge corn posted:

Do they still sell Sparks in america?

Isn't Sparks like the weaker predecessor to 4 loko? I remember drinking some a while back and they didn't do much for me.

My friend would apparently fill up an orange juice jug with em and walk around his high school getting plastered.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Free* Jaguar + LM/LQ engine = party time right?

(*There's no such thing as a "Free" Lucas electrics 70's Jag. Ugh.)

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

DID SOMEONE SAY FOUUUUR LOKOOO?!? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJFSkuMAkI

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

meatpimp posted:

Okay... and?

You're calling stuff that isn't an IPA or amber a sour. Wheat beers are beers, too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

You're calling stuff that isn't an IPA or amber a sour. Wheat beers are beers, too.

poo poo, you'd better get with New Belgium and get Snapshot off their sour beer page.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

the spyder posted:

(*There's no such thing as a "Free" Lucas electrics 70's Jag. Ugh.)

'Free' or not, a V8 Jag is a winner.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Needs V12 Jag love.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
In the market for an LQ4/4L80E, spyder? That looks awesome enough to partially redeem my failure :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

literally a fish posted:

In the market for an LQ4/4L80E, spyder? That looks awesome enough to partially redeem my failure :v:

That would be the best course change for a project in AI history.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Phone posted:

They make a portion of it with a lactobacillus fermentation. It is def a sour, though not a super sour one.

In fact most traditional sour beer styles are also wheat beers. (Lambic and gueuze, Berliner weiss, and saison [saison doesn't have to be sour])

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's almost like you can classify beers multiple ways! wow

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

literally a fish posted:

Oh hell yes, I'll need some more details, but that would save me a ton of parts searching. Plus the freight shipper I work with is pretty awesome and as long as you can get it secured on a pallet/dropped off at the local terminal, it shouldn't cost that much to ship it here.

*I should probably do some research to make sure it fits. :D

the spyder fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 8, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Yes but saying New Belgium Snapshot is not a sour beer is false.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Also regardless of the brand image of Stella, its a pretty decent beer and you shouldn't feel bad about drinking something that has a negative brand association somewhere else in the world that isn't where you're drinking it, IMO.

Yeah, Stella is not the budweiser of England, it's a relatively decent standard european lager with slightly stronger than usual ABV which is where it gets its unfortunate recent nickname, a nickname appointed to it by english hipsters who are Too Cool to drink lager because they prefer bitters and they got angry during the financial boom years when future-brexit-voters who did not belong to the approved socioeconomic classes had the ostensible credit to buy slightly-higher-than-usually-priced stronger lagers (and act stupidly on them), that lot trended towards Stella because it's more alcoholic than Heineken, more claarrsy than Tennents, and because it has/had a decent reputation as being 'upscale' because it's more expensive than it should be. See: Burberry, Jack Wills, etc

My wife is english, I've been drinking Stella in europe for 20 years and no one has ever given me even close to a funny look when I order it aside from her, because she likes bitter beers slightly more than lagers and likes to rile me up. You want to get her raging about beer though? Make her pick from one of 8 identically tasting horrible california IPAs because there's no european lager on the menu.

The REAL reason you shouldn't buy it in cans & bottles in the US is because for some inexplicable reason they're 11.2 oz instead of 12oz yet the same 12-pack price as other similar brands.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

SCA Enthusiast posted:

They make a portion of it with a lactobacillus fermentation. It is def a sour, though not a super sour one.

In fact most traditional sour beer styles are also wheat beers. (Lambic and gueuze, Berliner weiss, and saison [saison doesn't have to be sour])

drat. Cicerone spotted.

the spyder posted:

Oh hell yes, I'll need some more details, but that would save me a ton of parts searching. Plus the freight shipper I work with is pretty awesome and as long as you can get it secured on a pallet/dropped off at the local terminal, it shouldn't cost that much to ship it here.

Please make this amalgam of AI happen.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Ether Frenzy posted:

The REAL reason you shouldn't buy it in cans & bottles in the US is because for some inexplicable reason they're 11.2 oz instead of 12oz yet the same 12-pack price as other similar brands.

Its because its the 350ml euro size.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

the spyder posted:

It's loving on*. I have practically everything you'll need bar the stuff specific to putting it in the Jag, and I'm sure we can get everything palletized/dropped off no problem. I'll PM you my phone # :sun:

* If it fits, which it should, because a full size gen1 SBC fits in a jaaaaaag just fine :v:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Beer chat

It's loving beer

If you need to get more nuanced than 'beer', you're doing it wrong.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
BTW Stella is owned by AB-Inbev aka Budweiser. Personally I get enough variety and beers I like from stuff just made in the state.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Its because its the 350ml euro size.

I have never seen a can of beer in any part of Europe that was not 440ml... and the US bottles used to be 12 oz and the cans used to be 14.87oz. So inBev has made some move in the last couple years to keep it at the same price point while simultaneously raising the price, and 'we only want to bottle for one size' isn't the legitimate reason.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Ether Frenzy posted:

I have never seen a can of beer in any part of Europe that was not 440ml... and the US bottles used to be 12 oz and the cans used to be 14.87oz. So inBev has made some move in the last couple years to keep it at the same price point while simultaneously raising the price, and 'we only want to bottle for one size' isn't the legitimate reason.

Yeah I guess cans are different. Bottled European beers are very commonly 11.2oz/350ml, but inBev being inBev must've decided to make cans that size too to keep sizing uniform make more money.

E: or to ensure that all of their products fit their oh so special ~~chalice~~

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Late replies but I don't log on much over the weekend so :effort:

Raluek posted:

I've definitely heard that FedEx takes that sort of thing a bit more seriously. UPS might be cheaper, and might work fine 90% of the time, but anytime there's an issue or irregularity FedEx seems to have a way of handling it, whereas UPS seems to just poo poo itself in confusion as per Geoj's story. Does that jive with your experience?
I really respect the hell out of FedEx for being able to just get poo poo done. Where I work now we ship exclusively with FedEx and USPS Priority Mail. It is an extremely rare instance that we have people to vehemently are disgusted with FedEx. We ship international priority packages to Asia/Australia/Canada/EU daily and FedEx can deliver packages to them in 2-3 days for an absurdly cheap price. UPS handles far more parcels and maybe it is in part to unionized people don't really give a drat, but it isn't hard to argue that simply based on volume there is likely more chance to have things come to a grinding halt and pooping themselves.

nm posted:

My experence was the exact opposite. I had some camera equipment shipped fedex ground to my office. We have a full time receptionist. 3 times "business closed" at like 10am. This was after I called after the 2nd time.
They had to send it air to get it delivered.
I had similar issues with my apartment. Instead of calling at the gate, they'd piggy back in and then stick the notice on your door without ringing the bell. Fedex ground office was 25mi away because socal sucks.

What is usually not understood is that FedEx is broken down into different companies. There is FedEx Ground (contracted/kind of franchised business), FedEx Home Delivery (also contracted), FedEx Express, which handles all 3-day, 2-day, next day, and international shipments (Corporate) and FedEx Freight which I know jack-all about. Your condition is really odd and dumb. Again the goal is to get rid of every single package every single day. Not delivering a package means you(the contractor) doesn't get paid, you don't hit your performance bonus goals and the package is just going to be on your truck the next day to get delivered. If the business was closed I would scan the box as an "indirect" delivery and get the person next door to sign for it. Make a note of the suite or office number and then leave a door tag on the door of the recipient. That information will also show online for the tracking number that "J Smith" at "Suite 105" signed for 1/2/10 package(s) or whatever. Honestly you must have had a lazy rear end driver. Being a customer you have a fair bit of power to make things happen. If you call and file a formal complaint against the driver then the contractor would be hit with a fine, usually like a hundred bucks. Too many complaints and it could put a contract in jeopardy - so often contractors will "fix" the problem by either firing the driver or telling the driver to pull their heads out of their butt.

The gate/apartment thing I totally get. It is often sketchy to leave a package at an apartment. poo poo gets stolen ALL THE TIME. The FedEx guy doesn't know if that package is worth $50 or $1500. Some buildings are locked from the outside, some have gates, some require codes. Say a package does get stolen the recipient always jumps to "This idiot delivered it to the wrong place" or "The idiot FedEx guy stole my package" when the correct answer is "Your shady rear end neighbor took it". No package is worth taking because nothing in a box is worth more than a job. Additionally there are security measures in and out of the FedEx terminal equal to a pat down by the TSA as well as a bag check. When the package goes to the front office it is in a secure location.

Depending on your drivers workload and route I would often try to swing back around there at a different time of day for a delivery. After you deliver your packages you have scheduled pick ups that often will have you weaving through where you were delivering earlier that day. For me my pickup windows started around 2:30 in the afternoon. Windows are one hour long. On a typical day I would have anywhere from 80-100 delivery stops. I needed to average about 15 stops per hour to finish on time for my pickups. There are stretches that I could squeeze in 18-20 stops in an hour. A stop can be a single package or 30 packages. Being a FedEx guy was an interesting job with some fun stories. I learned a lot about supply chain management too which I have transitioned into my career.

This is a lot of words and maybe needs a thread to go through it all but being a FedEx guy was a fun year of life actually. I enjoyed the scenery and the misery but had a sense of accomplishment. The pay was crap but what can you do? I can go into more details if anyone wants to know more.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SCA Enthusiast posted:

Fair e nuff

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Late replies but I don't log on much over the weekend so :effort:

I really respect the hell out of FedEx for being able to just get poo poo done. Where I work now we ship exclusively with FedEx and USPS Priority Mail. It is an extremely rare instance that we have people to vehemently are disgusted with FedEx. We ship international priority packages to Asia/Australia/Canada/EU daily and FedEx can deliver packages to them in 2-3 days for an absurdly cheap price. UPS handles far more parcels and maybe it is in part to unionized people don't really give a drat, but it isn't hard to argue that simply based on volume there is likely more chance to have things come to a grinding halt and pooping themselves.

What is usually not understood is that FedEx is broken down into different companies. There is FedEx Ground (contracted/kind of franchised business), FedEx Home Delivery (also contracted), FedEx Express, which handles all 3-day, 2-day, next day, and international shipments (Corporate) and FedEx Freight which I know jack-all about. Your condition is really odd and dumb. Again the goal is to get rid of every single package every single day. Not delivering a package means you(the contractor) doesn't get paid, you don't hit your performance bonus goals and the package is just going to be on your truck the next day to get delivered. If the business was closed I would scan the box as an "indirect" delivery and get the person next door to sign for it. Make a note of the suite or office number and then leave a door tag on the door of the recipient. That information will also show online for the tracking number that "J Smith" at "Suite 105" signed for 1/2/10 package(s) or whatever. Honestly you must have had a lazy rear end driver. Being a customer you have a fair bit of power to make things happen. If you call and file a formal complaint against the driver then the contractor would be hit with a fine, usually like a hundred bucks. Too many complaints and it could put a contract in jeopardy - so often contractors will "fix" the problem by either firing the driver or telling the driver to pull their heads out of their butt.

The gate/apartment thing I totally get. It is often sketchy to leave a package at an apartment. poo poo gets stolen ALL THE TIME. The FedEx guy doesn't know if that package is worth $50 or $1500. Some buildings are locked from the outside, some have gates, some require codes. Say a package does get stolen the recipient always jumps to "This idiot delivered it to the wrong place" or "The idiot FedEx guy stole my package" when the correct answer is "Your shady rear end neighbor took it". No package is worth taking because nothing in a box is worth more than a job. Additionally there are security measures in and out of the FedEx terminal equal to a pat down by the TSA as well as a bag check. When the package goes to the front office it is in a secure location.

Depending on your drivers workload and route I would often try to swing back around there at a different time of day for a delivery. After you deliver your packages you have scheduled pick ups that often will have you weaving through where you were delivering earlier that day. For me my pickup windows started around 2:30 in the afternoon. Windows are one hour long. On a typical day I would have anywhere from 80-100 delivery stops. I needed to average about 15 stops per hour to finish on time for my pickups. There are stretches that I could squeeze in 18-20 stops in an hour. A stop can be a single package or 30 packages. Being a FedEx guy was an interesting job with some fun stories. I learned a lot about supply chain management too which I have transitioned into my career.

This is a lot of words and maybe needs a thread to go through it all but being a FedEx guy was a fun year of life actually. I enjoyed the scenery and the misery but had a sense of accomplishment. The pay was crap but what can you do? I can go into more details if anyone wants to know more.
Hell yes. I use FedEx, UPS, USPS, and DHL. They all have issues, but they all have their strengths. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with FDX.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

meatpimp posted:

New Belgium makes good beer. Fat Tire is very drinkable and a good everyday beer.

My favorite of theirs is the Fat Sour Apple Ale that's only available in the "Fat Tire & Friends" box. :( Another good sour they have is Snapshot, and I'm looking forward to trying their La Folie. Sour beers a great, and I hope they catch on and drive the weapons-of-hops-destruction IPAs out of the forefront.

If sours become the next big thing we'll have the same more is better shot amd we'll all be drinking lemon juice.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Sours are already pretty big but I don't think a similar arms race will occur because some of the very traditional sour beers are already at the top of the sour scale. See: Berliner Weiss

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

928 is having a pre-purchase inspection done, wonder how much poo poo they'll find.
Finally got around to googling the guy interested in the 928 because he seemed fairly knowledgeable...PCA chapter president

the spyder posted:

literally a fish posted:

Do it please that would be an amazing end to the van saga

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, Stella is not the budweiser of England, it's a relatively decent standard european lager with slightly stronger than usual ABV which is where it gets its unfortunate recent nickname, a nickname appointed to it by english hipsters who are Too Cool to drink lager because they prefer bitters and they got angry during the financial boom years when future-brexit-voters who did not belong to the approved socioeconomic classes had the ostensible credit to buy slightly-higher-than-usually-priced stronger lagers (and act stupidly on them), that lot trended towards Stella because it's more alcoholic than Heineken, more claarrsy than Tennents, and because it has/had a decent reputation as being 'upscale' because it's more expensive than it should be. See: Burberry, Jack Wills, etc

My wife is english, I've been drinking Stella in europe for 20 years and no one has ever given me even close to a funny look when I order it aside from her, because she likes bitter beers slightly more than lagers and likes to rile me up. You want to get her raging about beer though? Make her pick from one of 8 identically tasting horrible california IPAs because there's no european lager on the menu.

This is a lot of words about a completely unremarkable beer

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

slothrop posted:

The Stone stuff is usually pretty good, sometimes excellent Pretty certain they started Arrogant brewing too? The craft beer situation in the US is really ten years ahead of Australia and lets not get into the retarded lock-out laws in Sydney ruining a good chance at a better drinking culture

The lockout laws are awesome... there was no loving chance of a culture other than the rivers of vomit on George St. All anyone did was get shitfaced and thats all they have ever done

Inner Sydney lost nothing of value with the poo poo clubs being closed

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

fridge corn posted:

This is a lot of words about a completely unremarkable beer

I didn't say it was remarkable, just that it's not Budweiser. Because that's an insult too far.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Ether Frenzy posted:

I didn't say it was remarkable, just that it's not Budweiser. Because that's an insult too far.

I would equate Carling as the English equivalent of Budweiser. Bland and innofensive. Gets you pissed

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That actually sounds about right.

I kind of like the fact that Europe believes in differing glassware depending on what you're drinking so you can be that guy with the 28" tall Peroni glass.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

sharkytm posted:

Hell yes. I use FedEx, UPS, USPS, and DHL. They all have issues, but they all have their strengths. I'd be interested in hearing about your experiences with FDX.

I hate fedex here. They are the only carrier where it mades a difference if the destination is a business or not. That might make sense from a logistical stand point, but every time I order something it ends up being a massive pain in the rear end. Most vendors won't tell me what service they are using for shipping, so its usually a suprise when I get a tracking number that happens to be fedex. Some vendors will say they ship UPS, then really ship fedex, also a surprise. Those vendors that do indicate they will ship fedex will typically not provide a mechanism to indicate that the destination is a business. Why does this matter? Because fedex changed their routes so that now they don't deliver until 8pm (used to be just after noon). To a business. Which is closed. Of course, the driver will mark business closed, and attempt to deliver again the next day. At 8pm. When the business is closed. I don't know why they can't determine the address is a business in the first place, or change the delivery time based on the first failed delivery.

Fedex provides the "helpful" service of delivering to a fedex store, where you can later pick up the package. The 3 closest stores apparently don't accept packages, so I have to go to the 4th closest one, 20 miles away. No one has been able to explain why this service is limited to specific locations, I can ship packages from all 4, so trucks go there.....

Oh a package was marked undelivered at 8pm and you want to switch to picking up at a fedex location? It'll add a 2 day delay to receiving the package, since fedex won't process the delivery change until the trucks already went out.

UPS, USPS, and DHL are infinitely less hassle for me.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just saw an aquiantence post on the FB of a mutual buddy who died last year asking him how things were going. I messaged him with the quickness to let him know what happened. Guess they lost touch a couple years ago.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Yeeesh. Makes me feel marginally better than the time I wished my cousin a happy birthday hoping he and his wife were doing well. He casually replied that they got divorced earlier that year. It was an odd correspondence.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just saw an aquiantence post on the FB of a mutual buddy who died last year asking him how things were going. I messaged him with the quickness to let him know what happened. Guess they lost touch a couple years ago.

What'd he die of? This is the main reason I have FB, to see actuarial tables become true as my graduating class cohort age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Did anyone kill themselves over the lack of football yesterday?

CPL T20 cricket final was yesterday, so I was watching that.

• Locked thread