Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
So I got a used fuel filter primer assembly thing, but it doesn't fit. Wrong size barb fittings for the hoses.

Can't find this part number anywhere except for $350 US from Amayama and gently caress that

Reckon one from a 1HZ would interchange? Can get them for like 35 bucks from Ebay

Most of the 3B landcruisers had a different injector pump and fuel filter setup by the looks of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Maybe look at a VW Filter and priming pump assembly?

https://www.amazon.com/445RT-AM-FIL...lter+and+primer

Anphear
Jan 20, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

So I got a used fuel filter primer assembly thing, but it doesn't fit. Wrong size barb fittings for the hoses.

Can't find this part number anywhere except for $350 US from Amayama and gently caress that

Reckon one from a 1HZ would interchange? Can get them for like 35 bucks from Ebay

Most of the 3B landcruisers had a different injector pump and fuel filter setup by the looks of it

P,

the Heavy diesel mechanic i know in Gore thinks that most assembles of the same vintage from toyota should fit, you'd just need to correct for the fuel filter.

like this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/parts-other-makes/engines/auction-1141514523.htm

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Chur, I had a look and I think I have 8mm fuel hoses so that ought to work

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

1HZ is 10mm hose fittings, 1HD is 12mm, 3L hilux motor might be 8mm from memory? I know the 1KZ is 10mm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ferremit posted:

1HZ is 10mm hose fittings, 1HD is 12mm, 3L hilux motor might be 8mm from memory? I know the 1KZ is 10mm.

L engine hiaces are deffo 8mm.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

That jobbie on trademe claims 8mm fittings

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I got bored and got the angle grinder out and made my old chrome bumper fit the modified winch housing, cos I thought it looked a bit weird with nothing in front of the wheels. I think it looks pretty good

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

that looks the goods!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

So this happened

Also I changed a dripping hose on my engine and flushed the coolant.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Spare parts division?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh that reminds me I saw a 70 series (I think) 2-door here in the U.S. and it said "LX Turbo". I didn't think they were sold here. Wonder if it was an import?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

CharlesM posted:

Oh that reminds me I saw a 70 series (I think) 2-door here in the U.S. and it said "LX Turbo". I didn't think they were sold here. Wonder if it was an import?

Yeah, lots of places import 25+ yr vehicles now, like Japanese Classics.

You'll see tons of Skylines, Land Cruisers, JDM 80s Supras, Turbo Hilux Surfs, etc. on their website for import.

Makes me nervous though after the whole Fukushima tsunami stuff though, because of the risk of them unloading flood cars--but every now and then I'll see RHD JDM cars over here and I'll want to buy one again. Pretty cool.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Sep 20, 2016

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Ferremit posted:

Spare parts division?

I wish! My flatmate bought an identical BJ83 to mine, same year same plant, 450 numbers apart. Driveway looks awesome every time I go outside

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Hell 25yrs old rule would mean the US would be able to start importing the 70 series landcruisers. Tho theres a few more years to go now before the turbo diesel ones show up. That and dual cab diesel hilux's!

gimpsuitjones posted:

I wish! My flatmate bought an identical BJ83 to mine, same year same plant, 450 numbers apart. Driveway looks awesome every time I go outside

So Parts swap department then!

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

My injector pump is seriously pissing diesel, so... Maybe.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's just marking its territory.

Can't you just get a remanned pump from that slightly larger island to the west? All the ones I see on ebay come from there.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I haven't looked into it yet, but good idea. Got a link? I have the rotary pump

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Oh, right. Yeah, that's not the one I found when searching "toyota 3b injector pump" on ebay, whole pump for $1200 AUS tho. http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Toyota-3B-diesel-fuel-injection-pump-/370591382095

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Generally if its a diesel leak externally its a simple O ring thats shat the bed- generally the one underneath the throttle rod lets go first as it gets the most wear, then the ones sealing in the various sensors and switches (tacho and fuel cut off normally) go.

Most of them are actually replacable on vehicle too. Although having a 1985 BJ73 with a rotary pump is odd- the 3B didnt come with a rotary pump until 1988 on AU landed trucks

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Mine is JDM. Both it and my mates 1985 have the rotary pump. Will try replacing the throttle o ring first

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I was just thinking, have you checked the diaphragm? If it's damaged, it might explain your rough start and idling problem, and possibly the fuel leak.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Rotary pumps don't have a diaphragm like the inline ones

To my shame I dropped it at a Toyota dealership next to the airport this morning cos I had an 830 am flight to a wedding and needed it to be 100% functional for this Sunday cos I have work stuff & a trip planned next weekend. $298.99 in labour and gasket kit later it's apparently fixed

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

I still need to replace the fuel priming pump to fix the starting issue, should really get onto that

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Alternatively, you can ignore it and buy Start Ya Bastard by the case.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

It's like $56 for a 1pz primer pump which *should* fit, I've just been lazy/swamped/trying to buy a house

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You might find it actually starts and idles now anyway because if those seals were letting diesel out, then they certainly were letting air into the pump.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Still starts and idles a bit rough. Also I bought a house and moved into it today. Lots of work to do. A single garage, about 6x2.4m. Have some plans for it. The cruiser may not fit under the door...

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

There is one minor issue

Also soil is expensive but hopefully I can avoid buying vegetables as much as possible soon

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Do they make 2" lift kits for garages?

I specified 3.3m walls with a 2.85m door opening on my shed because gently caress not being able to get anything I want in there

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

The door frame is a bit rotten anyway so I might just find a secondhand 2.4 door and cut the hole a bit bigger

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Just drive full speed and you'll make a hole, like Looney Toons.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Man that house is 1970s as gently caress

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

You Am I posted:

Man that house is 1970s as gently caress

Bro the curtains are brown. It's so good.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Finally got around to buying a $52 Chinese fuel primer for a 1PZ off the internet, arrived and fitted today. No idea if it's worked, start issues were only on cold days. Fitted perfectly though.

To do list from post 1...

-Fix clutch I think. I don't remember what I meant.
-Fix bad rust in passenger door. Done, but the shop were crap and welded a patch over the old rust, need to rustkill and paint it
-New seals and weatherstripping for passenger door done
-Strip back and spot paint any obvious paint damage/rust to prevent it getting worse over the winter, then
-Strip and repaint all panels in Toyota 416, dune beige, next summer - probably do in Toyota 1H5 (cement grey) now
-new 2.5" exhaust done but it sucks (mild steel so rusting already, lovely crush bends)
-New, all matching, non rusty/rattlecanned rims with correct offset and 33" tyres sort of done, except have 31s and my rims don't fit my hi lift jack buddy
-Sell current mix of tyres and rims done
-Turbo! Bolt on kit ex USA have a bunch of junkyard parts, work in (slow) progress
-fix minor damage to FRP top, have painted
-new seals for sliding windows in FRP top
-fix gearbox/tfer case oil leak - might get one of those braided line/bung things instead of fixing it
-remove broken bolts from captive nuts in chassis, paint and reinstall factory bashplates
-find PTO blanking plate for t/fer case, remove PTO & whole winch assembly, sell - have the blanking plate, have been too lazy to remove anything
-ARB front bar & decent 24v electric winch
-build custom rear bar with tyre carrier to take the weight off the back door & add hi lift jacking points
-new head unit - need iPhone plug, Bluetooth
-new 4" speakers under the dash and find somewhere to install some extra speakers in the back
-sort out mystery wiring done I guess?
-new leafs and shocks all round
-fix rear window demister and wiper (non functional)
-wire in a killswitch somewhere for security
-clean up/rustproof/paint chassis
-look at the aircon delete aircon
-lockers? Maybe.

New stuff....
-new intake piping again, except in the right size this time
-adjust valve clearances cos I don't think it's ever been done
-if the above 2 don't stop it blowing black smoke, take it to a diesel injector shop for pump timing or injectors
-new rims and 33x10.5R15 BFGs, sell current rims and tyres to my mate Dave

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

Airflow isn't the issue, pulled the intake from the throttle and it still smokes. Never noticed any smoke before I got the IP deal done and now it's pretty heavy and mileage seems to be worse so I suspect pump timing is off somehow?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

gimpsuitjones posted:

Bro the curtains are brown. It's so good.

Does the bathroom have wallpapered walls?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Your thread and a friend getting a Land cruiser has made me look into these. How are they to drive in traffic? Easy to park? What is the length from the back of the seats to the rear doors? I love these things but realistically I won't get off road much.

I'm in NZ too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

Your thread and a friend getting a Land cruiser has made me look into these. How are they to drive in traffic? Easy to park? What is the length from the back of the seats to the rear doors? I love these things but realistically I won't get off road much.

I'm in NZ too.

Get a 90 series prado instead, much easier to live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

They're pretty rad. About 1600mm from the back of the front seats to the rear doors. Easy to park, fine to drive in traffic - better than most things I think, because of the great visibility out of the cab with the high driving position and massive windows. I'd probably advise against buying one for a purely around town car though, economy isn't amazing doing short/cold runs in town and the engine won't like it much long term

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 27, 2016

• Locked thread