Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Number of base runners stranded is not a particularly useful metric.

True, but it's a particularly frustrating metric. Especially when your team has a penchant for loading the bases with zero outs and ending up with zero runs out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Popete posted:

For anyone interested in swing mechanics Josh Donaldson does a really good job of explaining modern thinking (rotational hitting) on hitting. You can see the contrast as DeRosa talks about how he never heard these terms or thought about anything but his hands in regards to his swing which is a very old school way of thinking about hitting. Rotational hitting focuses primarily on the hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyWNCrxVzPU

When I was a kid, I'd watch This Week in Baseball waiting or the tips from MLB players. They were lame. Keep your eye on the ball, use both hands, etc.

Kids today get primers on front side mechanics from the reigning MVP. It's cool.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

iKickDogs posted:

When I was a kid, I'd watch This Week in Baseball waiting or the tips from MLB players. They were lame. Keep your eye on the ball, use both hands, etc.

Kids today get primers on front side mechanics from the reigning MVP. It's cool.

"Okay, I'll tell you... if you're ten years old and your coach says, 'get on top of the ball,' tell him 'no.'"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/765988142511947776

Dansby Swanson is in the majors and Shelby Miller is not. This amuses me.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

shadok posted:

"Okay, I'll tell you... if you're ten years old and your coach says, 'get on top of the ball,' tell him 'no.'"

That 10 minute video is a 100 times better then the 10 disc Cal Ripken or Tony Gwynn instructional videos. There are so many dumb hitting "tips" that coaches repeat ad nauseum cause they heard some major league player say it once. To this day when I got to the batting cage I hear parents yelling at their kids to "Grip the bat harder"/"Swing harder"/"Get on top of the ball" it's frustrating cause there are simple things you can tell young players that they can understand but coaches keep drilling in these dumb sayings that when given more then 5 seconds of though make no sense. Since when has hitting on top of the ball ever resulted in a line drive or homerun?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i dont get why the rizzo catch is so great. jeter dove into the stands

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

bawfuls posted:

Also the Braves head to Arizona for a four-game set starting Monday.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

bawfuls posted:

https://twitter.com/Braves/status/765988142511947776

Pretty sure the Diamondbacks were an inside job.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

hifi posted:

i dont get why the rizzo catch is so great. jeter dove into the stands

If Jeter had to dive, that must've meant anyone else could reach it with normal effort.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Joe Smith has gone to the DL with badpitcheritis (a hamstring strain.) Trevor Cahill will remain up with the team after his spot start yesterday.

La Stella is officially in Tennessee and will start tonight for the Smokies at 2B.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

bawfuls posted:

"That's quite the play. What do you call something like that?"
"The Diamondbacks!"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Followup reminder that Shelby Miller has been worth -0.2 fWAR this year so Swanson has a good chance to produce more MLB value in 2016.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Cubs will be skipping Lackey's next start so he can get some additional time to rest his shoulder. Montgomery will get the spot start against the Rockies.

e. Also Coghlan to the DL again apparently? I guess he got hurt in that collision after all. Anyway, Patton up to replace Coghlan.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 18, 2016

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Donaldson is really articulate discussing the mechanics of hitting in that video, pro click.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Josh Donaldson and Gibby had to be separated in the dugout during today's game. Why?

https://twitter.com/SNFaizalKhamisa/status/766009730049380352

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Twin Cinema posted:

Josh Donaldson and Gibby had to be separated in the dugout during today's game. Why?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/donaldson-gibbons-got-close-trying-smell-tom-ford-cologne/

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
In case anyone was wondering, Dansby Swanson's dad's name is Cooter.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

wow, I liked Josh Donaldson before, but that hitting mechanics video made me understand things so much more clearly. dude is really smart and that's probably why he's in contention for a second MVP

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Dingleberry Jones posted:

In case anyone was wondering, Dansby Swanson's dad's name is Cooter.

Dansby Swanson is a name that belongs on a tin of mustache wax.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Pitcher List guy wrote another article for the Washington Post that details Hendricks evolution as a pitcher and why his current success is less luck and more a result of adjustments to his mechanics.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Sorry was eating but Grandpa owns

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Carlosologist posted:

wow, I liked Josh Donaldson before, but that hitting mechanics video made me understand things so much more clearly. dude is really smart and that's probably why he's in contention for a second MVP

I thought it was particularly telling when he told the other guy to stop using different and colloquial terms (after he said loosey-goosey) so as to not confuse what he was trying to demonstrate.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

iKickDogs posted:

I want the playoffs if the jays aren't in it to have Donaldson and Pedro breaking down pitchers and hitters throughout the game

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Real talk I could listen for hours of that

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

La Stella update: Hit a single in his first AB, was HBP in his second and pulled from the game.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

La Stella update: Hit a single in his first AB, was HBP in his second and pulled from the game.

lol

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
N: https://twitter.com/draysbay/status/766074781389168645

V: Nice.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZenVulgarity posted:

I want the playoffs if the jays aren't in it to have Donaldson and Pedro breaking down pitchers and hitters throughout the game

I love Josh Donaldson because he is equal parts smart, scientific athlete and Florida Man.

https://twitter.com/BringerOfRain20/status/766030549316210688

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ZenVulgarity posted:

Real talk I could listen for hours of that

You could tell Donaldson was holding back going really in depth. He talked a little about the rubber band effect between your obliques and legs. I bet you could sit down with him and talk for hours about hitting. It's cool to see a major league player be able to really discuss the details of hitting instead of repeating the same old coaching cues from the past 100 years. It's crazy how far ahead Ted Williams was during his time though, he really was a student of hitting.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Noir de noir? Seriously?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Popete posted:

It's cool to see a major league player be able to really discuss the details of hitting instead of repeating the same old coaching cues from the past 100 years.

But Fred McGriff told me those tips helped earn back to back to back AAU national titles!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

^^^^^
I sure did learn to throw a ball into a trash can!

Popete posted:

You could tell Donaldson was holding back going really in depth. He talked a little about the rubber band effect between your obliques and legs. I bet you could sit down with him and talk for hours about hitting. It's cool to see a major league player be able to really discuss the details of hitting instead of repeating the same old coaching cues from the past 100 years. It's crazy how far ahead Ted Williams was during his time though, he really was a student of hitting.

Realtalk- I think I learned more about hitting mechanics in those 8 minutes than I did in all my years of playing Little League and HS baseball, including a few weeks here and there at Mickey Owen and Bucky Dent in the 90's. Even with Donaldson in keep it simple stupid mode that was gold. I am legit jealous that kids today have access to things like this, or "Hey Trevor Bauer answered my question about mechanics on Twitter- even uploaded a YouTube video to demonstrate!" while I was more or less getting the same type of tips kids were getting in the 50's.

For all the talk of baseball history and "all time greats" I wonder how many you could realistically drop into 2016 MLB that would have even remotely the same success, or how many so-so players today are just one time machine trip back to the 20's from being a baseball immortal.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
In the last two days the Braves got rid of Aybar, called up Dansby to go 2-4 on his debut, and put two more games between themselves and the Twins in the race to the bottom. Pretty good work all round.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Popete posted:

I thought it was particularly insightful where he talked about pointing the front foot forward and how it really opens up the hips for power. those are two things I had heard before but no one had put them in as concise an explanation. I also never would have thought that the shoulders can be used to maximize plate coverage

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/1vet779K4d0

minus the high leg kick I feel like these two swings are very similar.

That is probably a compliment to both of them

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

I thought it was particularly insightful where he talked about pointing the front foot forward and how it really opens up the hips for power. those are two things I had heard before but no one had put them in as concise an explanation. I also never would have thought that the shoulders can be used to maximize plate coverage

Yeah he does a really good job showing how you align your elbows into a triangle with your hands. It's like you are centering the base of your elbows onto a plane and then using the rubber band tension between your hips and shoulder to fire through that swing plane. It really shows how little yours hands play into the swing which is pretty counterintuitive. I hope Donaldson does a set of instructional videos some day, so much good stuff in that video. If kids watch that and pick up only %10 of what he is saying they are likely gonna be light years ahead of what their coaches are telling everyone else.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

CubsWoo posted:

Papelbon honestly can't be any worse than Joe Smith or Clayton Richard or (insert lovely relief pitcher that has been bad in the Cub bullpen this year) and the presence of many former Red Sox players and front office will dull his angry edges

Now that you mentioned him, Richard started for the Padres (they lost 5-1 to the Mets, no run support) and was not-terrible. 5IP, 3H, 2ER, 3BB, 3SO. 5 innings on the Cubs this season would've translated to like 15 runs, so :toot:

Good for him that he's making it work (as a starter, no less) on a team willing to give him another shot. :shobon:

CubsWoo posted:

Cubs starters in August: 10-0, 96.2 IP, 12 ER, 1.12 ERA, 0.797 WHIP, 83 K, 18 BB, -0.083 FIP, 8 HR against

Cubs bullpen in August: 2-2, 31.1 IP, 17 ER, 4.88 ERA, 1.596 WHIP, 36 K, 16 BB, 2.138 FIP, 7 HR against

August bullpen ERAs: Montgomery/Chapman/Grimm 0.00, Wood 6.23, Smith 7.36, Strop 7.71, Edwards 15.00, Rondon 15.43

Chapman doesn't fix everything but no matter what they do this is going to be a feast or famine bullpen the rest of the way.

Carl Jr.'s ERA more than doubled after that one inning. :(

Wood was surprisingly hittable though.

Popete posted:

For anyone interested in swing mechanics Josh Donaldson does a really good job of explaining modern thinking (rotational hitting) on hitting. You can see the contrast as DeRosa talks about how he never heard these terms or thought about anything but his hands in regards to his swing which is a very old school way of thinking about hitting. Rotational hitting focuses primarily on the hips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyWNCrxVzPU

Could someone forward this to Heyward? It literally can't hurt.

Sydin posted:

Maddon confirms La Stella will report to AA for a minor league assignment. This also presumably means he'll be back up at roster expansions, if not sooner provided he struck some kind of bargain? Who knows. Would be lying if I said I didn't miss his bat, in any case.

Sydin posted:

Cubs will be skipping Lackey's next start so he can get some additional time to rest his shoulder. Montgomery will get the spot start against the Rockies.

e. Also Coghlan to the DL again apparently? I guess he got hurt in that collision after all. Anyway, Patton up to replace Coghlan.

So the day that Tommy relents and goes to the minors, his spot opens up but he can't get recalled because he didn't suck it up and go earlier. :rolleyes:

Why'd he decide to go to AA though? Is Iowa really that boring and unbearable oh wait I answered my own question.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Atomizer posted:

So the day that Tommy relents and goes to the minors, his spot opens up but he can't get recalled because he didn't suck it up and go earlier. :rolleyes:

Why'd he decide to go to AA though? Is Iowa really that boring and unbearable oh wait I answered my own question.

Iowa Cubs are out in California this week. Probably just easier to keep him close. He'll likely move on to Iowa next week when they have a long homestand.

Also gently caress him, they should just let him rot in Jersey.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Now that you mentioned him, Richard started for the Padres (they lost 5-1 to the Mets, no run support) and was not-terrible. 5IP, 3H, 2ER, 3BB, 3SO. 5 innings on the Cubs this season would've translated to like 15 runs, so :toot:

Good for him that he's making it work (as a starter, no less) on a team willing to give him another shot. :shobon:

If he stays in the rotation his turn would come up Wednesday against the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

arizona might be last in the nl west but the mets are worse

• Locked thread