Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scob
Jul 17, 2005

if the last 15 or so years havent taught you that how good your fav team is or isnt come playoff time doesnt mean a loving thing i dont know what to tell you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

R.D. Mangles posted:

i literally don't know how to follow sports like this, this whole season has been completely miserable for me, just waiting for it all to come crashing down.

If this is how you feel you won't feel any better if they win so my advice to you is to just stop watching now and smugly come back with some toldyasos if the Cubs lose in the playoffs

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
DFA Kershaw

https://twitter.com/bethharrisap/status/766753041798221825

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

shadok posted:

100 mph is always going to be hard to hit

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bawfuls posted:

I love the bit where they had a physicist explain why the ball appears to rise, then they cut to Bryce Harper saying, "naw dawg, I seen it with my own eyes that ball rises I tell ya! Them fancy scientists ain't never stepped in the box, they don't know what they talkin' bout!" :haw:

As well as Verlander then saying something along the lines of "Yeah the ball doesn't rise. That's impossible. "

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

CubsWoo posted:

If this is how you feel you won't feel any better if they win so my advice to you is to just stop watching now and smugly come back with some toldyasos if the Cubs lose in the playoffs

i will be very happy if the cubs win.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly

Obviously Kershaw has never heard of Gold Star

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Hard hit, hard to hit, what's the difference really?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Heyward is benched for the weekend. Looks like Joe is going with the ol' "soft reboot" strategy

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Never did much care for Skyline chili, I tell ya hwat. Lets take a good thing and add cinnamon, nutmeg and grease.

I'll have a bowl of Texas Red.

Hot takes ITT

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Whoa when did Matt Garza start playing outfield?

Kershaw's DL stint extended after blowing out his b-hole.

xbilkis posted:

Heyward is benched for the weekend. Looks like Joe is going with the ol' "soft reboot" strategy

Yeah, when playing in home run city, it probably helps to not have the dude who exclusively hits the ball directly into the ground in the lineup.

These are the terrible quips I have tonight. Eat 'em up, folks.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
MLB is doing a bizarro Beat The Streak next Tuesday - pick 9 players to go a combined 0-27 or worse and win $2,500.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/bts/y2016/contest_index.jsp

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
I pick nine Justin Smoaks.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Nail Rat posted:

Is it BFIB mode to say he's really bad this year and I wish they wouldn't play him? Because most of the bench guys are better (at batting anyhow).

Well, unless some prospects come together quickly both the rotation and the bullpen are going to be a goddamn mess after 2017 so it remains to be seen how competitive they can be after next year.

Also next year could be pretty bad if they don't replace Fowler's offense somehow, replacing Fowler with Almora doesn't give me a lot of confidence. They lost a lot of games this year whenever Fowler was out.

Yeah, we don't have much on the farm in terms of pitching. We will only have Hendricks and Lester under contract after 2017. Theo's either going to have to trade for or sign a boatload of pitching if we're going to stay competitive.

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame
N: Arbitrary end points and all, but since May 27th, Jose Altuve has a batting average of .400

V: Craig Biggio never had a season as good as what Altuve is on pace to do.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Imasalmon posted:

N: Arbitrary end points and all, but since May 27th, Jose Altuve has a batting average of .400

V: Craig Biggio never had a season as good as what Altuve is on pace to do.

I need Altuve to win MVP. I need it.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
N: Giants back in first place in the NL West

V: Fortunately Dodgers fans, after years of being conditioned to get their gloating out of the way before the postseason, have already had their say.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I very much enjoy the fact that the Yankees are fun to watch now, win or lose.

Popete posted:

I need Altuve to win MVP. I need it.

I hope he has a no-doubt HoF career just to see them have to adjust the entire podium for his speech.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
The Cubs traded way too much for a domestic abusing pitcher who was perhaps the best reliever in the game. Now the rest of our bullpen is dead and that lovely rear end in a top hat is a bad pitcher on top of being a stupid rear end in a top hat. Just sign Papelbon already so I can spend the next two months in a drunken, frothing rage.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

DeepDickPizza posted:

The Cubs traded way too much for a domestic abusing pitcher who was perhaps the best reliever in the game. Now the rest of our bullpen is dead and that lovely rear end in a top hat is a bad pitcher on top of being a stupid rear end in a top hat. Just sign Papelbon already so I can spend the next two months in a drunken, frothing rage.

Four paragraphs shy of a Cubspost, 7/10.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Mets are so loving bad.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

V: Fortunately Dodgers fans, after years of being conditioned to get their gloating out of the way before the postseason, have already had their say.

it's going to be a fun divisional race,

for me to kill my self during

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I stand by my statement from like two weeks ago that neither team will go up by more than 3 games the rest of the way. Hope everyone's livers are conditioned appropriately.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

shadok posted:

It's on Netflix, and it's excellent. Really well done documentary.

That documentary, along with anything else about Gibby, is proof that I'm a giant hypocrite. If anyone else had played the way he did I'd hate them for being a headhunting rear end in a top hat. Instead I gaze lovingly at his jersey on the wall of my gym. For all the Cardinals have had lovable Hall of Famers in Stan, Lou, Ozzie and Albert their only CY winners have been some mean bastards.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/TBrownYahoo/status/767092038546313216

Oh my God. Daniels is just trolling Luhnow now

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Uh ok

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess the Tigers hate having center fielders.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
If Carlos Gomez remembers how to play baseball and is good on the Rangers, I will be so mad.

However, if he continues his .594 OPS/31% K-rate pace and grinds their offense to halt, I will be happy.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Blind Pineapple posted:

If Carlos Gomez remembers how to play baseball and is good on the Rangers, I will be so mad.

However, if he continues his .594 OPS/31% K-rate pace and grinds their offense to halt, I will be happy.

He's going to be the 4th or 5th OF unless the former happens so I wouldn't hope too hard for the latter if I were you

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Pineapple posted:

With those numbers he could start for Detroit. :ughh:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

Also next year could be pretty bad if they don't replace Fowler's offense somehow, replacing Fowler with Almora doesn't give me a lot of confidence. They lost a lot of games this year whenever Fowler was out.

What's the over/under on re-signing Fowler?

Goodpancakes posted:

yeah so what happens when the cubs get bounced from the post season with the bases loaded, down by one with Jason up to bat.

You pinch hit for him. Tommy loving La Stella. :getin:

So this season alone, this has been done by the Cubs (last night) and to them (I think it was one of the D-backs games.)

DeepDickPizza posted:

Yeah but we didn't trade away good pitchers for Chapman. We got rid of Warren, who was meh, and an infielder and two outfielders. The fact that the bullpen is suddenly poo poo now wouldn't have been changed by not trading away a bad pitcher or 3 position players we don't need/can't use. In fact, we'd be worse off without Chapman, because he's been more reliable than the other relievers (just imagine not having Rondon, Strop, Lackey, Wood, Carl Jr. and then Chapman on top of that.) His velocity was down last night, I heard maybe due to altitude? Luckily we don't have to worry about playing a WS in Colorado. :rolleyes:

The two new guys (Zczsczczzzz z & Peņa) looked promising though. Peņa looked like a young, reliable Carl Jr. :kiddo:

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Brett Anderson is dead as gently caress

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Still some real warts to his game but Rougned Odor has now hit more dongs this season than any 22 year old 2B has ever hit

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Atomizer posted:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Atomizer posted:

Goddammit

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Wow that is nuts!!! I will take the under. He is definitely getting re-signed less than 6.5 times.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Brett Anderson is dead as gently caress
:agreed:

it is ugly at this point

edit: https://twitter.com/THEREAL_DV/status/767166768251035649

:lol: is this real life?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 21, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Atomizer posted:

So this season alone, this has been done by the Cubs (last night) and to them (I think it was one of the D-backs games.)

Is there a vine of the Cubs one from last night too or did you just think that the Twins were the Cubs?

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

Dodgers clubhouse must be filled with MRSA or some poo poo with all these horrible blisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Apparently La Stella was a flake in Atlanta too and the reason they unloaded him.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/awol-la-stella-nothing-new-underscoring-scouting-challenges/

• Locked thread