Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's more that you read/listened to analysis of the book without actually reading it first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BSS poster in the alley this morning, anime shirt on burst stomach. This subforum is afraid of me. I have seen its true face.
The threads are extended gutters and the gutters are full of spergs and when the drains finally scab over all the vermin will drown.
The accumulated filth of all their (non-)sex and blather will foam up about their waists and all the morons and thread regulars will look up and shout "Stop shitposting WickedHate!"
And I'll look down, and whisper "No."

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 22, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

For reference, WickedHate, that's a monologue the character Rorschach says to himself in Watchmen. Sorry if that confused you, it was a reference to that comic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Roth posted:

I think it's more that you read/listened to analysis of the book without actually reading it first.

I didn't mean I used other people's analysis of it as a substitute for reading it, just that my money is limited and short of :filez: I'm never gonna be able to go through everything I'm interested in personally. And some of the stuff Watchmen did with the medium is pretty goshdarn amazing, so since there's nothing to be spoilered on, I figure I might as well learn about that stuff when it catches my eye.

I'm sorry I end up being so obnoxious and dumb all the time.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 22, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If there's any comic your local library has, it's Sandman.

If they have a second, it's Watchmen.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My local library doesn't have comics at all. My high school library mostly had manga, oddly enough.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

WickedHate posted:

My local library doesn't have comics at all. My high school library mostly had manga, oddly enough.

That just reminds me that my middle school library had one of the first volumes of Dragonball that everybody constantly checked out because you could see Bulma's boobs in it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

If there's any comic your local library has, it's Sandman.

If they have a second, it's Watchmen.

Definitely this. When I started working at the library here (albeit a college library) we had 3 graphic novels; Maus, Watchmen and Buddha.....

WickedHate posted:

....and if your library doesn't have graphic novels (or any book that you want for that matter) suggest to a librarian that they purchase it. Libraries generally will purchase items requested by patrons because they want patrons to take out books. You can also request whatever you want, hell they might even get an interlibrary loan copy of the book just for you.

As for Rorschach it's interesting that he wasn't always a broken person and was closer to being...well not well adjusted (with that kind of upbringing) but in it for a good cause, but then the case with the kidnapped kid happened and it just broke him beyond repair and gave him a new outlook on life. He is definitely a lot more sympathetic with his backstory, and he realises his own faults and flaws, even going so far as apologising to Nite Owl for being a giant dick.
The problem isn't the character himself really, but that fans of the character look at his current condition and think he is awesome instead of looking at the history of the character and realizing that he is a deeply troubled and broken wreck of a human being.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I don't really give a poo poo what comics you have time to read, like, you do you and everything, I don't know your situation, but don't go around posting about them because you read some reviews and watched the movie version.

You really should loving make time for something like Watchmen though. You're killin' me, Smalls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPR792hyUhk

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ooh burn.
Ouchie.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hah, I love Chainsawsuit. Funny thing, I always used to read the "suit" in the name as "suite", and now the correct way of pronouncing it sounds weird to me.

Travis343 posted:

I don't really give a poo poo what comics you have time to read, like, you do you and everything, I don't know your situation, but don't go around posting about them because you read some reviews and watched the movie version.

Well, it's casual conversation not the one true Watchman philosophy debate.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Took me a while, but I finally read all of Static and Long Hot Summer. Like any ongoing comic, there were a few weird missteps, but they were mostly forgotten an issue or two later. Definitely some of the most fun I've had reading a teen superhero book in a while. If only it didn't end two thirds of the way through a story arc with the last two issues shelved...

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I can't stop giving Dr. Strange the voice of Dr. Orpheus whenever I read things with him in it. I'm just going to assume it's that way for everyone.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Gaunab posted:

I can't stop giving Dr. Strange the voice of Dr. Orpheus whenever I read things with him in it. I'm just going to assume it's that way for everyone.

Of course.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Gaunab posted:

You mean Vincent price.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Inkspot posted:

Took me a while, but I finally read all of Static and Long Hot Summer. Like any ongoing comic, there were a few weird missteps, but they were mostly forgotten an issue or two later. Definitely some of the most fun I've had reading a teen superhero book in a while. If only it didn't end two thirds of the way through a story arc with the last two issues shelved...

Protip: while some of the follow-up series aren't as worthwhile to you if you only read Static's series, track down "Milestone Forever" and read the conclusion he got in there. It's Static and his pals going to their high school reunion.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
I'll look into it. Rebirth of the Cool was a return to form, but it really felt like a foiled attempt to start a new series and not a self-contained mini.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In his own books it is Vincent Price. In team books and cameos it is Dr Orpheus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In a few months all you will hear is Cumbersnatch.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Not if I don't see Bendytoots Cum in her Snatch's movie

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Roth posted:

Not if I don't see Bendytoots Cum in her Snatch's movie

can we not

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm sorry, things that vaguely sound like Cumberbatch's name in the place of his name amuse me too much.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's like Igloo Australia!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Inkspot posted:

I'll look into it. Rebirth of the Cool was a return to form, but it really felt like a foiled attempt to start a new series and not a self-contained mini.

It is basically the final "Milestone" Static story, and the last one Dwayne McDuffie ever wrote. It's a lovely finale for the character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

END ME SCOOB posted:

It is basically the final "Milestone" Static story, and the last one Dwayne McDuffie ever wrote. It's a lovely finale for the character.

Good thing DC's trotted him out for N52 in that abortion of a series.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I mean, if you wanna get picky, Milestone Forever ends the story of all those characters and just creates new ones as part of the DCU's history.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WickedHate posted:

In my country we have a library that only have comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've hit the point in my Claremont X-Men read through were Secret Wars II happens and I'm just like "gently caress off, I don't want to have to read that" The Uncanny X-Men stuff mostly works without reading it, but it seems like I'm going to need the context for New Mutants, and since the major draw in New Mutants at this point is the Sienkiewicz art it's some loving whiplash switching between New Mutants and Secret Wars II on an issue to issue basis.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

I've hit the point in my Claremont X-Men read through were Secret Wars II happens and I'm just like "gently caress off, I don't want to have to read that" The Uncanny X-Men stuff mostly works without reading it, but it seems like I'm going to need the context for New Mutants, and since the major draw in New Mutants at this point is the Sienkiewicz art it's some loving whiplash switching between New Mutants and Secret Wars II on an issue to issue basis.

The New Mutants tie-in is pretty miserable for all concerned.

Not a bad story at all, but pretty miserable.

I mean, it's basically the Beyonder killing a bunch of children, isn't it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Comic Book Resources has a new horrible bland design and Comics Should Be Good is gone. I can't find any of their articles in "CBR exclusives" and there's no blogs tab :( :( :(
http://www.cbr.com/

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of early 90s crossover stories, I was reading the Dark Horse Heroes Omnibus vol 1 the other day and it's has the set up to a big crossover with a lot of the DH heroes of the time like X, Ghost, Barb Wire, etc. It started out okay with a lot of set up but then just as everything was building up to the big crossover event... there are like two pages of plain text explaining what happened next. Yes, for some reason instead of printing the event they just give a summary. It's not like they didn't have enough room for it, there were still like 200 pages left which they then devote to some unrelated stuff.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

On the downside, my comic shop didn't have Godzilla Rage Across Time for me today.

On the upside, both of my AA degrees arrived today.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

On the downside, my comic shop didn't have Godzilla Rage Across Time for me today.

On the upside, both of my AA degrees arrived today.
congratulations!
how long have you been sober?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The hell is sober?

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Roth posted:

The hell is sober?

I think it's an Image series maybe?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Comic Book Resources has a new horrible bland design and Comics Should Be Good is gone. I can't find any of their articles in "CBR exclusives" and there's no blogs tab :( :( :(

Looks like someone decided Comics should not be Good

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Must've been bought out by DC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That reference is like 6 weeks out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's absolute dogshit that outright hurts my eyes. Whose brilliant idea was this.

• Locked thread