Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

DropsySufferer posted:

I've finally reached that time where I need to upgrade my computer after five years. I have an i7 processor but my graphics card is a joke these days.

Right now I see the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB for $250 vs GeForce GTX 1060 6GB which would cost me $300. Is the extra 2GB of VRAM worth it? I'm being cheap here and need to pushed to the correct choice.

If you're being cheap and that's what it costs you to get those parts, I'd check pricing on the 3GB GTX 1060 ($200 MSRP) and the RX 470 (Should be less than $200?). Both of those at the right price would be a way better value than either of the options you've got. I know that the thread's been making GBS threads on the 3GB 1060, but when it costs 50% more to get the 6GB one it's worth saving the $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DropsySufferer posted:

I've finally reached that time where I need to upgrade my computer after five years. I have an i7 processor but my graphics card is a joke these days.

Right now I see the EVGA GeForce GTX 960 4GB for $250 vs GeForce GTX 1060 6GB which would cost me $300. Is the extra 2GB of VRAM worth it? I'm being cheap here and need to pushed to the correct choice.

The GTX 1060 is much better than a 960 (which people generally recommend against anyway). We're talking almost double the performance in some games. If those are your choices you should go with the 1060 every time, unless you only have $250 to spare.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Phlegmish posted:

unless you only have $250 to spare.

In which case the answer still wouldn't be 960. It'd be (if you can find one) something in that price range from the red team.

Edit: actually, you can find 1060 6GBs at $250 if you have a decent look around. AMD's offerings are for those who want to game mainly on a monitor (VR performance is better overall on the NVIDIA cards right now) and will buy or have a Freesync display. Turns out the 470s and 480s are not even close to their target prices, which is somewhat hurting their competitiveness.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 1, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yep, the single fan EVGA 1060 6gb is $249

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...2&keywords=1060

And for $18.50 more you can get a dual fan windforce

https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeF...5&keywords=1060

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

HalloKitty posted:

Turns out the 470s and 480s are not even close to their target prices, which is somewhat hurting their competitiveness.

Remember when the 4GB 470 was supposed to be $150 and the 4GB 480 $200? Ha.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Don Lapre posted:

You arn't paying $50 for the extra vram. You are paying $50 extra because the 1060 is WAY WAY faster than a 960.

You can get a 970 for under $200 why are you buying a 960 for $250? :raise:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I think he should get the 960

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Gonkish posted:

Newegg outdid itself and delivered the 950 to my dad's door in 24 hours. He is now completely lost in 4k pictures/video and can't comprehend that it is real.

Thanks goons!

I'm doing the same for my dad, he's got a pretty nice gaming rig I handed down after I built a new one but his 770 2GB is getting a bit long in the tooth and the amount of memory isn't cutting it for newer games he likes. Got him a B-stock 970 for sub-$200 and he's already got an i5 2500K @ 4.4 with 16GB RAM, so the extra video memory and newer arch should definitely give him a nice boost on the new 27" IPS he recently bought.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Can confirm, I've had my 1060 for 3 days and I love it (I even cheaped out and got the 200$ 3gb version).

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Twerk from Home posted:

RX 470 @ $150 seems like pipe dream unless AMD doesn't like profits. The chip alone is 16% larger than GP106 and requires 256-bit memory bus versus 192-bit on GTX 1060, and maybe also stronger power circuitry accounting for the higher TDP.

The cost equation still not as hilariously lopsided in the Maxwell era where AMD needed a GPU with a 50% larger chip, 3x the memory bus and 50% more RAM than a 960 to even compete with Nvidia in a similar price bracket. The AMD only AIBs must be furious back then.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I have a 390x I bought used for $200 and yeah there are plenty of 970s. Ive seen some go as low as $150 for a used one. The 970 is an incredible value. People that bought it for full price several years ago can still get another 2-3 years out of it. I really think it will have a 5 year life span it will handle 1080 at medium settings for awhile.

There are so many options in this price bracket.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Twerk from Home posted:

Remember the MSRPs of the 1070 and 1080?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Remember being optimistic about two drat process nodes and finfets?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Are the prices so inflated from the MSRP because AMD couldn't get the manufacturing costs down as far as they expected, or because they can't keep up with demand and thus resellers are hiking the price on the few they have left? AMD's own website doesn't seem to list the MSRP anywhere I can find, so I have no idea if they officially changed it from the $200/$250 USD they were claiming for the RX480 4/8GB a while ago.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

PerrineClostermann posted:

Remember the MSRPs of the 1070 and 1080?

1070s are hitting their MSRP these days and 1080s are undershooting. You can pick up an EVGA ACX 1080 for $582 right now.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I bought a pair of GTX 970 cards for $250 a couple weeks ago ($125 each).

A GTX 960 for $250 is a terrible deal.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

ToxicFrog posted:

Are the prices so inflated from the MSRP because AMD couldn't get the manufacturing costs down as far as they expected, or because they can't keep up with demand and thus resellers are hiking the price on the few they have left? AMD's own website doesn't seem to list the MSRP anywhere I can find, so I have no idea if they officially changed it from the $200/$250 USD they were claiming for the RX480 4/8GB a while ago.

The 4 GB cards have always been pipedreams thought up by marketing to fit the "radeon revolution" nonsense, and in that sense they've been wildly successful since all the reviewers crowned the 480 the budget king at its $200 price-point instead of the actual street price which is 50% higher.

There's no sense selling the hardware for $200 when you could toss another $5 of memory chips on it and sell it for $300. As the hardware lifecycle continues and initial demand gets filled we will probably see more cards aimed downmarket but right now whatever they make is getting snapped up as fast as they make it. And yes, at $200 the margin is razor thin and AIOs were reportedly pretty livid about that.

The other factor is that buttcoin miners are back to their old shenanigans because there's a new altcoin that's designed to only be usable on GPUs.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 1, 2016

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Paul MaudDib posted:

1070s are hitting their MSRP these days and 1080s are undershooting. You can pick up an EVGA ACX 1080 for $582 right now.

Wait seriously? How long is the step up program?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm, man, if that's the case I might actually think about the 1080. I wish I could get a sense of how much longer I'd be able to stay at 1440p@60+ for the extra expense now.

I was originally planning to get a 1070 and resell it in two years for whatever Ti-equivalent would be out at the time, but...

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wait seriously? How long is the step up program?

Step up is 90 days from purchase but I just did this myself and MSRP for the 1080 ACX 3.0 through them is still $620. Founders at $699.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SlimBrady posted:

Step up is 90 days from purchase but I just did this myself and MSRP for the 1080 ACX 3.0 through them is still $620. Founders at $699.

drat. Not worth it then

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So when does more VRAM falloff begin? Because I've been convincing myself the Sapphire 470 8GB clocked at 1260 for $240 at Newegg is the best choice under $300.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You're gonna be able to stay at 1440p for the next 5 years on a 1060, you guys are overbuying. I mean I tend to overbuy too, not trying to criticize you just realize how insanely good this generation of cards is.

I thought when Nvidia launched this line they would get murdered on the high and mid end because the 1060 is so awesome, but I think nobody realizes this and thinks they need something above the lowest number just because that's what they're used having to do for acceptable performance. Yet nobody seems to be buying the 1060 anywhere, something tells me Nvidia's margins will remain just fine.

Anyway if you have the money buy whatever you want it's all good, but anyone with even a hint of budgetary concern or just a strong desire to have money for other poo poo should just get the 1060.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

So when does more VRAM falloff begin? Because I've been convincing myself the Sapphire 470 8GB clocked at 1260 for $240 at Newegg is the best choice under $300.

I'd say that a GTX 1060 around $250 is likely a better value.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

sauer kraut posted:

Selling a 960 for more than 120$ should be a felony. Whatever shop tried to pull that, avoid them in the future.

Ok i'm now avoiding 100% of computer shops.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

ToxicFrog posted:

I get a supply issue vibe from it all so far. However, afaik, there is no actual information.

There is a chance the ones that are available are being bought up for buttmining, however as has been pointed out the 10 series cards actually perform better at this at a lower overall cost. While there are certainly lots of miners I'm not super sure thats the real cause this time as opposed to the blatant 290 fiasco. However, as was just posted here there appear to be custom bios's emerging that actually make them more efficient at mining, although this is a newer development so I'm still not sure mining in general can be attributed to the higher msrps so far. But it might exasperate the problem going forward.

There are a few other clues here and there. The delayed release to market in general was pretty bad. There was a claim from AMD (or an AMD employee) that there would be "100,00" 400 series cards produced by the end of August (?), as if to appease calls for information. 100,000 cards is simply not a lot of cards, worldwide. There are no real hard numbers, but simply doing the math from quarterly revenue which are fortunately very specific at least in divisions, for instance the discrete graphics card division, to get rough numbers on how many cards are produced. Also combined with the fact it is fairly well known that the industry as a whole produces at least 10 million cards a year. While that does include old and new cards, a 100,000 card target is kind of pitiful and certainly cannot satisfy demand.

A separate but unfortunately insurmountable issue is that the 480 reference design overall was clearly designed to cut every corner possible to make the target MSRP. This isn't bad in and of itself and is just a fact of life, but it virtually guarantees there will never be a MSRP priced 480x from an AIB that includes any sort of aftermarket cooler. Considering the performance to price point the 480x cant really afford to increase in price, but there is no way around it. To that point I'm quite convinced that the 480x is seriously undershooting the performance levels they were expecting and in turn might also point to manufacturing issues in general (perhaps).

And finally, the as yet unconfirmed but probably the lamest issue of all. There is a chance that the 4gb 480x doesn't actually exist. All the evidence is circumstantial but its pretty damning. All the review cards were actually just 8gb models with a bios to switch between 4gb and 8gb. There are plenty of pictures of people peeling off the "4gb" sticker where it actually says 8gb. You can flash 4gb cards to 8gb cards on the consumer end. While that seems super awesome if you actually buy a 4gb 480x, it leads to the fact the only reason AMD would do this is to claim a $200 MSRP and then (probably) phase them out or simply produce a proportionally small amount of them to attempt to cash in on the "$200 for the gamers" marketing with, ultimately, $250 cards. They also seemingly artificially reduced the memory speed of the 4gb model to make the 8gb model seem better. There were early rumors that AIB's were having a tough time making MSRPs with AMD chipsets and this is probably one of the reasons - being told to market 4gb models from perfectly good 8gb boards. If it turns out to be true it would be the shittiest thing I've ever seen AMD do, personally. edit: Actually now that I think about it, I think Fury press bullying and outright lying pissed me off more, but thats pretty apples and oranges

Supply issues they can't afford, price issues they can't afford, and the nearly immediate and fierce competition in the same price bracket by Nvidia makes the situation look... poor. But, the latest reports are AMD is still benefiting from it all, and frankly they didn't "die" from the 300 series so ~who knows~ for the future.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 1, 2016

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

There is a chance that the 4gb 480x doesn't actually exist.

https://geizhals.eu/asus-radeon-rx-480-dual-oc-90yv09i0-m0na00-a1494469.html?v=l&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu

The spec is wrong though in that it has an 8 pin connector. Might've gotten one otherwise.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Pryor on Fire posted:

You're gonna be able to stay at 1440p for the next 5 years on a 1060, you guys are overbuying.

1440p60, yes.

1440p144 :-(

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Skuto posted:

https://geizhals.eu/asus-radeon-rx-480-dual-oc-90yv09i0-m0na00-a1494469.html?v=l&hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=pl&hloc=uk&hloc=eu

The spec is wrong though in that it has an 8 pin connector. Might've gotten one otherwise.

I mean, "doesnt exist" as in, they might not actually produce a physical cheaper 4gb card. They certainly sold some and AIB's did promise them as well, but it remains to be seen exactly how many and whether or not its just for show more or less.

Pryor on Fire posted:

You're gonna be able to stay at 1440p for the next 5 years on a 1060, you guys are overbuying. I mean I tend to overbuy too, not trying to criticize you just realize how insanely good this generation of cards is.

I thought when Nvidia launched this line they would get murdered on the high and mid end because the 1060 is so awesome, but I think nobody realizes this and thinks they need something above the lowest number just because that's what they're used having to do for acceptable performance. Yet nobody seems to be buying the 1060 anywhere, something tells me Nvidia's margins will remain just fine.

Anyway if you have the money buy whatever you want it's all good, but anyone with even a hint of budgetary concern or just a strong desire to have money for other poo poo should just get the 1060.

Ehhhhhhhhh this is going into subjective land imo. The 1070 barely performs as I'd personally like it to at 1440p60hz, as did the 980ti before it. But at one point I also ran a 770 2gb on 1440p and thought it did super well for what it was and was very happy with it. I'm sure the 1060 does very well, but there is clearly more on the table if you wanted more at that resolution. Unlike for example the same comparison for 1080p60hz gaming, a 1070 is more firmly in "overbuying" because in a lot of scenarios you actually don't get anything for iti.

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 1, 2016

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I mean, "doesnt exist" as in, they might not actually produce a physical cheaper 4gb card.

You mean a reference card that's resold by the AIB's with zero changes? Then yes, I agree. But I thought AIB's were supposed to be able to price competitively with the reference designs, so does this matter?

What's strange is that this card is by far the cheapest RX 480 in Europe, but:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126135&cm_re=asus_rx_480_dual-_-14-126-135-_-Product

Has 230 EUR = 230 USD pricing, which is just extremely untypical

If the USD vs EUR price ratio had been normal, this card would've been a 199 USD RX 480.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlimBrady posted:

You don't have to buy through EVGA to get step up qualification. As long as you have an invoice that shows the price you paid from any retailer you'll be fine.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Skuto posted:

You mean a reference card that's resold by the AIB's with zero changes? Then yes, I agree. But I thought AIB's were supposed to be able to price competitively with the reference designs, so does this matter?

What's strange is that this card is by far the cheapest RX 480 in Europe, but:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126135&cm_re=asus_rx_480_dual-_-14-126-135-_-Product

Has 230 EUR = 230 USD pricing, which is just extremely untypical

If the USD vs EUR price ratio had been normal, this card would've been a 199 USD RX 480.

No I mean I don't know if AMD actually produced a 4gb 480x and just earmarked a small percentage of them to be labeled as "4gb", flashed the bios to only use 4gb out of the 8gb thats actually on board and then reduce the speed of the vram to make it seem slower, all for the purpose of calling the 480x a "$200 card" when the perhaps not so subtle plan was to sell the 480x primarily at $250. I mean, that is what happened, but I dont know if its going to continue to happen and if the 4gb cards will ever really be available. Its quite possible both will go into full production for the whole lifecycle, but it doesn't look great.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Skuto posted:

1440p30, sure.

1440p60, for certain games, for a little while.

1440p120, probably not.

1440p144 :-(

Fixed that for you.

However, you can pull out some surprising performance out of some cards are high res when you turn down the right setting.

I am still baffled how well I was able to run War Thunder on a 760 connected to a Ultrawide 1440P screen. Roughly at 30FPS or better with only a few things dialed back. Current AAA games might not have a chance, but it does impress me what some of the XX60 cards are able to pull off for the price, but when you do start at the lower end and are already pulling off detail settings in current games, it only gets worse as time goes on for AAA games that you may miss out on the pretty features in the future.

Then there is VR...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I was looking at the benchmarks for the 1070 and it looks like I can keep comfortably above 60 at 1440p for most games, considering that the top notch of Ultra and the next highest usually a big trade-off in FPS for marginal effects, and I'm willing to lower settings to hit 144fps in games like Overwatch and Doom. The 1080 doesn't seem to change things that much for me, especially at the $650 I see for it online

Edit: And I don't know what that other post was saying about the 1060 doing 1440p for 5 years when right now it's doing 40fps and so in a couple years even at medium it will probably be sub-30

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 1, 2016

Baba Oh Really
May 21, 2005
Get 'ER done

SlayVus posted:

You don't have to buy through EVGA to get step up qualification. As long as you have an invoice that shows the price you paid from any retailer you'll be fine.

I meant from the price difference you have to consider for the step up. You have to go off their pricing of the card. I got mine from Newegg but the value of the card of their end is the $620.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If we're talking AAA games and at least high settings the 1060 probably won't even be able to push 30FPS in some games 5 years from now. But trying to make a video card last five years is a fool's errand to begin with IMO, even my Titan X will be outdated by then.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

If we're talking AAA games and at least high settings the 1060 probably won't even be able to push 30FPS in some games 5 years from now. But trying to make a video card last five years is a fool's errand to begin with IMO, even my Titan X will be outdated by then.

5 years ago one could have paid $500 for the current-generation state of the art 1.5GB GTX 580.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It's kind of impressive that you can get 30 fps in Battlefield 4 with that card. Maybe I will try to keep this 1070 for half a decade

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I mean, "doesnt exist" as in, they might not actually produce a physical cheaper 4gb card. They certainly sold some and AIB's did promise them as well, but it remains to be seen exactly how many and whether or not its just for show more or less.

Ehhhhhhhhh this is going into subjective land imo. The 1070 barely performs as I'd personally like it to at 1440p60hz, as did the 980ti before it. But at one point I also ran a 770 2gb on 1440p and thought it did super well for what it was and was very happy with it. I'm sure the 1060 does very well, but there is clearly more on the table if you wanted more at that resolution. Unlike for example the same comparison for 1080p60hz gaming, a 1070 is more firmly in "overbuying" because in a lot of scenarios you actually don't get anything for iti.

I can't even imagine what standards you'd have to have to be disappointed by a 1070 at 1440p60hz. But I agree that it's ridiculous to say that the 1070 is overbuying and anyone who thinks the 1060 will last 5 years at 1440p60hz is kidding themselves. At least, not without significant hits to graphic quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Just nabbed a PNY 1060, 6gb & full size cooler, for $250 at newegg. Get em while they're hot!

Sorry AMD, I was kinda rooting for you. I really enjoyed my 7870 for the last several years. But the lack of stock / stupid overpricing on 480s with decent coolers is just too much. Hopefully you're actually selling all those cards to idiot coin miners!

Back to nvidia for me, it's been a while.