Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Fart Pipe posted:

Oh poo poo yea, I actually have this weekend free so I may just come up and help you strip.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Fart Pipe posted:

So guess who has two thumbs and is probably going to buy a turbo Forester in the next couple days?

Its cheap and I cant help myself oh god.

Do it. Do it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fart Pipe posted:

So guess who has two thumbs and is probably going to buy a turbo Forester in the next couple days?

Its cheap and I cant help myself oh god.

Please be a 04, Please be an 04........

(Others are good but the 04 holy gently caress WHAT a car!)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah, which is why they're 12-17K where I live.

They're good, but not C5 Z06 money good.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

Yeah, which is why they're 12-17K where I live.

They're good, but not C5 Z06 money good.

I'm looking at seeing them here for 5k for average, 10K for incredible condition....? 12K to 17K is insane

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'm looking at seeing them here for 5k for average, 10K for incredible condition....? 12K to 17K is insane

Northeastern US Subaru prices don't track with most other places.

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT
Is this the one that guy kept having you work on because the garage kept destroying it? If it's that one, too bad it's an automatic. Let's gut the interior, swap the nicer seats into your other one and stuff it full of boost until poo poo blows up.

:getin:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

gently caress yea it is.

Whats special about the 04s?

Needs some work, tires, suspension is trashed, trans flails going into 3rd and the hood is hosed but oh man, Im so stoked.
The motor is fuckin solid and I just did the TB on it like 10k ago. Got it for 2 grand and its black, gently caress yea. The interior is miiint and it has a pretty good factory stereo with a 6 cd changer in the dash and a factory sub. Yea I still have CDs.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Fart Pipe posted:

gently caress yea it is.

Whats special about the 04s?

The fastest Forester of them all by some margin. Subaru didnt like the XT being discovered as faster than the WRX and slowed them down / added weight / neutered them in following years. The 04 is very well known for being quite a bit more powerful than Subaru claimed (Subaru claimed 155Kw, they were more like 175Kw) - I dont know who decided that putting the EJ25 into the XT first was a good idea but they made something that could outdrag the 22B.

Also it's lower geared (4.444 vs the latter XT's 4.111) so it really hustles through the gears.

So lighter than a WRX of the time, bigger motor as well, more power, lower geared, 13.7-9 quarter (Manual, the auto was line ball with the manual WRX) vs 14.4 for the WRX. Oh and yeah accepts all the usual Subaru mods and responds to modding insanely well.

Also a stronger 5 speed than the WRX as well that got adopted into the 06 WRX. All the above is why the 04 is the one to get. I would regret trading it in more but I traded it for a similarly noted "How did Subaru let THAT escape from the factory?" 06 WRX.

I still like the 04 so much I just bought a complete interior off a wreck to convert one of my SF Foresters into a 04 and I have the full driveline to swap in as well :D

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
In North America I think they kept the 4.44 goodness going for awhile past the '04 XT but I'm no FXT expert.

All I know is you gotta change that boost pill and if you want a quicker steering ratio you have to go find an '04 STI steering rack.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Dumb question - why does an '04 Forester need hood pins? That seems...dumb.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

The hood got damaged and won't close. I just have to get another stock one. Thanks for the info on the 04s, I'm even more excited now, haha.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
How many hood latch parts from my 00 will fit it? They are yours if you want them

Hell so is the hood if you want it. Wrong color and I dunno if it will fit though

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Wrar posted:

Northeastern US Subaru prices don't track with most other places.

SoCal, but yeah. Under 10 grand it's automatic. 12 grand is a manual with 130k+. Any less miles and manual the price just climbs.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Unf, I love the second gen Foresters but they were still too expensive when I was car shopping so I ended up with the first gen. FXTs are mad, I always get super excited when I see one on the road.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

How many hood latch parts from my 00 will fit it? They are yours if you want them

Hell so is the hood if you want it. Wrong color and I dunno if it will fit though

Thanks man but the actual hood structure is bent. The latch parts are OK but I need a turbo hood with the scoop for the intercooler and stuff. That and the headlights are different.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'll have updates tomorrow. Did a bunch of stuff today but I ran out of daylight for pictures.

Also I loving love this car, it's sooo nice

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Compounded and waxed it today. Didn't do the bottom of the doors yet since they're gonna need a ton of work.

I gotta get the 99 back together tomorrow. Got a buyer that will give me 3k for it so I'll have a grand left over to spend on the 04. If the trans isn't to bad to fix I might get away with trading up to the 04 for nothing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

3 grand for a 99 Forester????? Daaaaamn Forester prices are skewed badly there.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

3 grand for a 99 Forester????? Daaaaamn Forester prices are skewed badly there.

Subaru in general. They're not terribly common to begin with in the states. Outside of the NE and NW you'll rarely even see ones that old.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea well it's well sorted, new tb, mls headgaskets, new clutch, suspension, motor is solid, no rust even the shifter bushings are good. I hate to sell it after all the adventures I've had with it but I've got way too many vehicles as it is.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'm in NE so no rust is a huuuuge deal.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Did the headlights today. Got the turtle wax kit, it worked pretty well.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea, does the 04 FXT have the up pipe with the cat in it that I should get rid of? Luckily the guy that had this car before me knew about the screen in the banjo bolts for the oil line to the turbo and removed them a wicked long time ago.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Got some stuff done on the 99. Gonna be sad to see this car go, Ive put so much work into it and had so many adventures

Rear diff in

All the bushings in

Getting it together
http://imgur.com/XTZqMEwl.jpg

Then I overnighted some parts from Japan for the 04

A preview

Ok I lied, it wasnt Japan or overnighted

e: imgur

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 11, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
None of those photos load for me :v: please stop using tinypic, Tim, it's just trash and has been for years :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

literally a fish posted:

None of those photos load for me :v: please stop using tinypic, Tim, it's just trash and has been for years :v:

I dont even know where to go, I gotta talk to ace and see if I can host with him. In a nutshell though its a bunch of hot Forster shots.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

literally a fish posted:

Both of these are true, but if you want to see them, just take the s out of https in the thread url.

All non-garbage tier image hosts automatically provide their images over https if the requesting site asks for it. Tinypic not so much.

As for Fart Pipe, there's always imgur.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Did that work? tried imgur.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Fart Pipe posted:

Did that work? tried imgur.

It did, but those images are FUCKOFFHUGE. With imgur if you tack an extra letter on the end it'll give you different sizes:

s for small
http://i.imgur.com/0KHaAnKs.jpg

m for medium
http://i.imgur.com/0KHaAnKm.jpg

l for large
http://i.imgur.com/0KHaAnKl.jpg

h for huge
http://i.imgur.com/0KHaAnKh.jpg

(Picture is polished layers of car paint from a factory in Detroit)

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Nuevo posted:

It did, but those images are FUCKOFFHUGE. With imgur if you tack an extra letter on the end it'll give you different sizes:

s for small
http://i.imgur.com/0KHaAnKs.jpg

m for medium
http://i.imgur.com/0KHaAnKm.jpg

l for large
http://i.imgur.com/0KHaAnKl.jpg

h for huge
http://i.imgur.com/0KHaAnKh.jpg

(Picture is polished layers of car paint from a factory in Detroit)

Ok awesome, got it! Ill do reasonable pics from now on. Sorry about the huge ones, I use my phone most of the time to browse and I know how much the huge pics blow.

e: after checking them you have to admit that the RA magnet cars look pretty realistic in those pics and thats funny

e2: ok I "l"ed them all, did it work?

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 11, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

They look good to me (on PC).

As another option: I prefer timg'd photos at full size, rather than inline-loaded smaller photos... because you can click on the timg and get the image at fits-on-your-screen dynamic width, OR click on the little hover-over full-rez thingy in the top left corner of the image (hover your mouse over it to see it) and it loads at max resolution, rather than having to click through (or copy the URL and change the last letter to h) to see them embiggined.

Some folks hate that, though, because a timg'd photo is still downloaded at full rez, so you have to suck up all the megabits even if you're on a phone or something. But ehhh, I don't care about those people.

You timg a photo like this:
code:
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/0KHaAnK.jpg[/timg]
which gives you this result:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
The issue is that timg doesn't WORK on phones :v:

This works best, I find;
code:
[url=full-size-imgur.jpg][img]L-or-H-imgur.jpg[/img][/url]
Gives you a nicely sized preview (if you can't fit 800px wide on your monitor on 2016, sort yourself out, mate) and lets people click to open the full-size image.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

literally a fish posted:

They work in mobile safari :confused:

Or is it just awful app that fucks it up?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seems to work on my phone, but the browser still has to download the full size image, then re-size it locally. Chews up a lot more data, and a lot of lower end phones will choke on an image-heavy thread.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

literally a fish posted:

This works best, I find;
code:
[url=full-size-imgur.jpg][timg]L-or-H-imgur.jpg[/timg][/url]
Gives you a nicely sized preview (if you can't fit 800px wide on your monitor on 2016, sort yourself out, mate) and lets people click to open the full-size image.

With tiny pic I did the 800 wide setting and it seemed to work, is that the "l" setting on imgur?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Seems to work on my phone, but the browser still has to download the full size image, then re-size it locally. Chews up a lot more data, and a lot of lower end phones will choke on an image-heavy thread.

I didn't want to do timg cause yea it loads all the poo poo and sucks on a phone where data matters.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea, car content update: the 99 is almost done, just gotta put the exhaust back on tomorrow but omg the new bushings are sooooo nice. The rear suspension is so tight, it's like a new car like goddamn. Right now I'm detailing it so I won't get to try out the LSD in some mud which makes me sad on top of the fact that I'm going to be sad to see this car go. I've had so many adventures in it and it's been such a good car for me.

Took it on the PDR with some other goons up to almost the Canadian border, down to Greenville SC for thanksgiving with my ex and to the top of Mt Washington by myself. I've camped in it at various outings and it's just been a good car for me for like 5 years. I'm gonna miss it. I bought it from my uncles best bud that he grew up with but passed away a few years ago (let's call him J).

I remember the day I helped J pick it up. He got it for free from one of his former customers since he was a Subie mechanic for like 25 years. We used my pickup and he had to rent a dolly, yes a dolly that drags the car by the front wheels. Not only that but he couldn't find one locally so we had to get one from the city, like 25 miles from my house. We get that and drive back to where the car is which is like 5 miles from my house and I kept asking J about towing this awd car with this dolly and he assures me it's OK for the short distance and I trust him cause wtf he's an old school Subie guy. Get there and the front tires tied to the dolly and I go about 600 feet before the rear wheels lock up and start smoking. He goes under there and unbolts the drive shaft so we can get it home and that's all good.

We bring it back to my house cause I have a little land to hide some cars and my uncle warns me and he was right that the car would be there forever with weeds growing up around it. Like 6 months later I sold my beloved GTI and used the money to buy the Foz cause I needed a good winter car. The engine was bad cause lol EJ25s so I put a couple in until I found a good one and it's been great since.

I did the mls head gaskets, timing belt and water pump, new clutch, lifted it an inch, just put all whiteline bushings and a lsd rear diff in plus it's got the altimeter/compass on the dash.

It's going to my best friends little brother and my bud gave him the speech about the sentimental value of this car and how he needs to take good care of it. I hope he does and I'm glad it's staying in the "family".

Why do I have to get so attached to cars, man.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

This is the motor that was in it when I got it. It makes the most hilarious noises, like what even is that clicking sound, it's so great. A couple of the bearings were so wasted that the copper and lead layers were gone and the steel part became part of the crankshaft. I can't wait to see what Terriblerobots motor looks like when he's done with that knocker.

https://youtu.be/O4MR9cAMHqE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Fart Pipe posted:

With tiny pic I did the 800 wide setting and it seemed to work, is that the "l" setting on imgur?

I think "l" (for large) is 640 on the long side. "h" (for huge) would be 1024.

The official imgur API description says those resize to 640x640 and 1024x1024 respectively, but that would stretch things out and make them look hosed up.