Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Getting real tired of this JK Rowling poo poo. (Look at the timestamps)

Although this might be funny.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...y-10496548.html

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Zephro posted:

This is amazing and needs to be preserved for the benefit and instruction of comrades of the future. I've saved the whole post but someone should link to it from this OP and all future OPs, for ever and ever, amen.

Ta very much- let me do the bottling part and clean it all up a bit- I posted it accidentally mid-edit and there's a few bits bugging me.

Pistol_Pete posted:

Funnily enough, I was just musing that I needed more hobbies... I guess you don't need any more space than a cupboard to brew bucket loads of wine, then?

You need space enough for your brewing vessel, and it needs to be out of direct light and warm enough- doesn't need a cupboard even, a shady corner with an old t shirt over it is cool. The yeast will fart vaguely bread, then apple smelling gas that's mainly CO2, but I have never noticed the smell linger on anything. A little space for stuff like yeast and cleaner e.t.c but those are small items, biggest thing I have is the spoon or the bottlecap presser.

That's how I started, now I just block part of the hallway for my brewery :)

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Coohoolin posted:

actually, comparing politics to political satire is cool and good

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
https://twitter.com/NEWTEKWORLDNEWS/status/772001219556630528

You're a scab, Harry.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

blowfish posted:

actually, comparing politics to political satire is cool and good
It'd be cool and good if I could tell the difference anymore.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

A good post, a good catte :3:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Coohoolin posted:

Seeing that article elsewhere probably led to that tweet in the first place?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Renaissance Robot posted:

A good post, a good catte :3:

cats are bad and devastate local wild life. i'm alos allergic to the fuckers and they know it and won't leave me alone when i'm at a house with one

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

hakimashou posted:

pissflaps gets probated for 3 days and the British Politics thread is "what movies do you like" and "what music do you like."

loving shame on all of you.

You understand your country is hopelessly hosed because not enough of people like you listened to people like pissflaps don't you?

Well, what tv shows do you like? :allears:

Pissflaps voted remain, loudly calls people who voted for Brexit idiots (you know, the majority of people) and refuses to engage with any meaningful discussion on exactly why people may have voted for Brexit except that its Corbyns fault.Though at least thats consistent as he refuses to engage in meaningful discussion on any topic except to say that its Corbyns fault. He is exactly as out of touch as anyone else in this thread and arguably listening to people like Pissflaps is exactly why Remain lost.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Well to be fair Brexit voters are/were idiots (wanting to leave the EU may have arguments for it but voting on the referendum with no clear plan or goals driven by lies and xenophobia is purely moronic) and majority doesn't have anything to do with it being a good idea, see the Tory government. Broken clock etc.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jose posted:

cats are bad and devastate local wild life. i'm alos allergic to the fuckers and they know it and won't leave me alone when i'm at a house with one

I'm told, eg, that cats jump on people who don't like cats because they're usually sitting very still and therefore look much nicer to sit on

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

It's more that eye contact is threatening, so if you're avoiding looking at a cat it will see you as friendly. Plus cats are just assholes.

e: I remember seeing about 20 feral cats in a group in Rome. All lying around in the sun, very carefully not looking at each other.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Yeah, it's mostly column B. They're just assholes.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Coohoolin posted:

If you're getting fed up of JK Rowling poo poo maybe you should ignore it. Pretty easy to do.

Random Integer posted:

Pissflaps voted remain, loudly calls people who voted for Brexit idiots (you know, the majority of people) and refuses to engage with any meaningful discussion on exactly why people may have voted for Brexit except that its Corbyns fault.Though at least thats consistent as he refuses to engage in meaningful discussion on any topic except to say that its Corbyns fault. He is exactly as out of touch as anyone else in this thread and arguably listening to people like Pissflaps is exactly why Remain lost.

Stop engaging with one of Pissflaps' little brothers.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Random Integer posted:

I think he's talking more about Tories winning the last election because Labour wasn't Tory-lite enough, which, whether you agree with it or not, is really the bigger issue. The best way to prevent Brexit would have been not to hold the referendum in the first place, at least for another decade or so. After all the support for Brexit has been steadily falling since the heady days of BNP being relevant. Which is incidentally why Cameron thought he might get away with it.

Referenda in general are a terrible political instrument for a functioning democracy, which is why they're much beloved by fascists and have been used by them in the past. Insert the usual "British public wrong about everything" comment. If you gave them the choice people would cheerily vote to bring back hanging, suppress Islam and deport swathes of immigrants.

e: I'm slightly dyslectic and the forums ate my post the first time, couldn't be bothered reading after myself again before posting

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 3, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

The secret to getting cats to leave you alone is to attempt to pet them before they're comfortable with you. Get all up I their personal bubble, try to get their attention, and generally make a fuss and the standoffish assholes won't come within a mile of you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

everyone who can properly look after them should just get dogs instead. if you have a decent size garden chickens are cool too

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

If you're getting fed up of JK Rowling poo poo maybe you should ignore it. Pretty easy to do.
I've been doing that for about 15 years. :feelsgood:

Private Speech posted:

Referenda in general are a terrible political instrument for a functioning democracy, which is why they're much beloved by fascist and have been used by them in the past. Insert the usual "British public wrong about everything" comment. If you gave them the choice people would cheerily vote to bring back hanging, suppress Islam and deport swathes of immigrants.
What about ballot initiatives?

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Jose posted:

Cats are well known for becoming very interested in people that ignore or avoid them, and not giving a gently caress about those who desperately seek their affection.

Best thing to do if you want a cat to gently caress off in a polite way is to stare them directly in the eyes and make 'ffsshhtt' sounds at them.

Source: I have been referred to as a 'cat whisperer' several times, for some reason.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

Random Integer posted:

Pissflaps voted remain, loudly calls people who voted for Brexit idiots (you know, the majority of people)

this is entirely correct though

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

I've been doing that for about 15 years. :feelsgood:

What about ballot initiatives?

It depends on what sort of thing you want to push through I guess. I mean people would happily vote to nationalise utilities and trains too (as long as there wouldn't be a concentrated media campaign to scare them against it, so basically they wouldn't but they might in theory at least)

And then there's the crucial difference of who gets to set the issues, questions and tone of the debate. Essentially it's all about the government again, and at that point you're kind of asking, well, why do they have to use a referendum when they should be able to just legislate their way through it?

Swiss-style referenda are slightly better in that the questions can be set by the voters themselves, and holding local ballot votes can help legislate for local issues that don't have broader support in the overall electorate, say in the US states or even through the devolved parliaments in the UK. But that's more of an argument for localism than anything.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 3, 2016

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
JK Rowling thing has brought up some fun articles from back in the day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/38656.stm

December 11th 1997. Couldn't even make it a full year before trying to gently caress over people on benefits.

Edit: notice how Tony Blair was "Acting tough" when he fired rebelling front benchers.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

do very publicly christian tories ever get called out on being very unchristian in their politics?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

do very publicly christian tories ever get called out on being very unchristian in their politics?

Church of Prosperity, innit. I'm rich because it's God's will, they're poor because they're sinners.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Random Integer posted:

Well leave voters being idiots is something he's actually right about. Although if other people do it he usually accuses people of bashing the working class because he's a loving horrible poo poo. But he's still right.

He's had lots of good opinions in the past before he went full contrarian. It's why it's such a shame he is now defined as "the guy who really hates corbyn".

Trolling is a neurodegenerative disease and when you hit the "24 hour contrarian fuckwit" you don't have much time left.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 3, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Gonzo McFee posted:

Church of Prosperity, innit. I'm rich because it's God's will, they're poor because they're sinners.
I thought that was more of an American thing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jose posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone get called out for being unchristian in this country

Though I have seen it posited that this related to the fact that anglicans kind of overdo it on church by going every week (specifically begging forgiveness every week) and as such never really reflect on their day to day actions

But yeah if you take a look at politics right now it's super frowned upon to criticise individuals for personal failings such as being a classist racist bigoted hypocritical poo poo, even where such can be proven to be an objective fact rather than a mere offhand insult.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 3, 2016

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
God this thread has gotten noticeably better in the last couple of days. The brewchat makes me sad that I have to wait until we move house before my next brew day.

FYI if you're brewing in an old Rosie demijohn or something the easiest air lock in my experience is a balloon with a pinprick in it. Worked nicely for my mead and the neck is too narrow for a Wilco bung/air lock.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

tooterfish posted:

I thought that was more of an American thing.

It's British as all hell. It's just like a lot of things about British life it's never openly verbalised.

Edit: Our Royal family are literally considered "Chosen by God"

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 3, 2016

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I thought you were talking about the prosperity gospel in particular, that's very much an American movement.

I don't think anyone in this country actually believes the royal family were chosen by God.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I could definitely believe that Prince Charles was chosen to punish us

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Uh, the Church of England is about as pro-Labour as it can be without precipitating a constitutional crisis and disestablishment.

e: but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that the Anglican and Catholic churches are well behind the curve on social issues and spend all their political capital (poorly) there rather than on economics.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

tooterfish posted:

I don't think anyone in this country actually believes the royal family were chosen by God.
Most people haven't read the Bible though.

If you look at some of the other things that God chooses you could easily believe it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gonzo McFee posted:

JK Rowling thing has brought up some fun articles from back in the day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/38656.stm

December 11th 1997. Couldn't even make it a full year before trying to gently caress over people on benefits.

Edit: notice how Tony Blair was "Acting tough" when he fired rebelling front benchers.

loving hell did the internet really look like that?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Alchenar posted:

e: ps. also it shouldn't be a mark against ex-shadow cabinet that these stories are only coming out after they resigned - if anything it demonstrates their loyalty while in position. But I deliberately shied away from specifics in my post because I think it's telling that the same general themes come up again and again - and they focus around the accusation that the Leader's office was simply impossible to communicate with. Individual stories might be embellished or twisted one way or the other, but that persistent theme has a ring of truth about it that should be difficult to ignore.

A persistent theme is how messaging generally works, yeah. Like 'Jeremy Corbyn personally lost the EU referendum' which was cited in so many of those planned, organised resignations that were supposed to force him out

Whether there were communication issues or not, there's absolutely reason to doubt the sincerity of these accounts given what's happened and how it's been done. The fact that the coup failed and everyone's pivoted to a new common angle doesn't have 'a ring of truth' about it at all. If these highly loyal MPs taking part in a mass resignation were doing it because of genuine concerns about communication, they should have said so in their resignation letters, since that's basically the entire point of sending and publishing them

Here, you can look them over
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/labour-resignation-letters-full-what-8286309

Notice how almost nobody complains about not being able to do their job effectively. In fact most MPs who mention it talk about how proud they are to have been able to work on this and that, the successes they've been able to achieve, sometimes even thanking Corbyn for his involvement. The actual reasons given for resigning are generic complaints of 'you don't command the support of MPs' and 'you didn't campaign hard enough for the referendum'. That includes Eagle and Smith's letters

There could be genuine concerns about this, genuine reasons why people who feel this way never mentioned it before including when justifying their actual resignation, but nothing about any of this implies honesty and independence. That's they hosed up when their power play failed - now there's mistrust of everyone associated with it, and why shouldn't there be?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Yep.

If there were genuine leadership problems, why were they only cited two months AFTER the resignations?

(I can well believe Corbyn's office might have been lacking in competence, but... I also firmly believe that the party architecture was not helping him, and without the help of the party architecture, he had to rely on brand new people who've never performed that kind of role, so it's not surprising if it all went a bit wrong.)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

If you look at some of the other things that God chooses you could easily believe it.

One day I will get around to reading Tolstoy's The Kingdom of God is Within You because it seems like the most interesting way of interpreting Christianity from the little I know of it.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well leave voters being idiots is something he's actually right about. Although if other people do it he usually accuses people of bashing the working class because he's a loving horrible poo poo. But he's still right.

He's had lots of good opinions in the past before he went full contrarian. It's why it's such a shame he is now defined as "the guy who really hates corbyn".

Trolling is a neurodegenerative disease and when you hit the "24 hour contrarian fuckwit" you don't have much time left.

Im not say Leave was a good decision, Im saying it along with his subsequent meltdown is a pretty good sign that Pissflaps is not a political Nostradamus who has the hot tips on how to win over voters. But Im going to stop talking about the merits of Pissflaps because its not a very interesting subject.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

i'd love a front row seat as jesus returns ad visits american mega churches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Fair point.

• Locked thread