Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bees are also annoying.

Although they didn't vote for Brexit, so there's that.

edit: On this day in 1793, the Reign of Terror began in France. Some very annoying people were culled, much to their annoyance.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bees are actually communists and great, wasps are the capitalists of the insect world and can gently caress off and die IMO.

E:

Bzzzzz.

Though I do wish that my hymenopteric comrades would refrain from getting stuck behind my blinds and buzzing loudly until I get up and shoo them back outside.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 6, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

tooterfish posted:

I'm not sure I see your point there.

Not trying to pissflaps, I really don't.
All for it.

It should work fine as long as everybody who'd ever use it is already dead! The perfect system.

As usual, Judge Death is the only one talking sense.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If you are a very boring person like me you can have a look at the provisional Boundary Commission recommendations for Northern Ireland that have just been published tonight to soak up some early boundary change tears

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37281097

The Welsh commission is due to put out a provisional report next Tuesday which will be a bit more interesting, Wales is bring cut from 40 MPs down to 29 so that may ruffle some Labour feathers

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Bee's are awesome dont mess with them thx.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Bees choose new locations for hives using direct democracy and dance. :3:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

how loving delusional can you be to think a G20 summit where the overarching theme has been world leaders getting close to openly mocking brexit is a major success Jesus loving Christ

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Old people are more of an economically exploitative class, like landlords (poo poo, a lot of them ARE landlords), cynically and maliciously sucking wealth out of the young to make their useless, wrinkly old lives even more comfy and luxurious. Fighting back against them is no more than legitimate self-defense.

In fact, I'd be in favour of a Purge style scenario where, one night a year, it's legal to break into houses and, if you manage to kill the owners, you get to keep the house. THAT'D solve the housing crisis, by god!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
People really do live too long nowadays. By the time you inherit anything, you're already an old oval office yourself.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The Saurus posted:

People really do live too long nowadays. By the time you inherit anything, you're already an old oval office yourself.

mind you you're ahead of the curve

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2016/09/suzanne-moore-why-i-was-wrong-about-men

Suzanne Moore has decided that Labour members not voting for Yvette Cooper or Liz Kendall last year means all men are evil or something.

http://www.newstatesman.com/2016/09/five-times-owen-smith-has-made-sexist-comments

especially sexist owen smith tho

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 6, 2016

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

All that's missing is another panel with a puzzled Norman Tebbit kicking gently caress out of a dragon that is clearly made up of small children.

The Saurus posted:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/feminism/2016/09/suzanne-moore-why-i-was-wrong-about-men

Suzanne Moore has decided that Labour members not voting for Yvette Cooper or Liz Kendall last year means all men are evil or something.

I mean she's not wrong; all men are evil, just not because of that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I just wanted to say Theresa May reminds me alot of Elizabeth from keeping up appearances.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Saurus posted:

There's nothing wrong with being old as poo poo, as long as you realize "I'm old, time to gently caress off and get weird with it in the corner". Rather than, you know, wrap society around you like a comfort blanket and drag it into the grave with you.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

His Divine Shadow posted:

I just wanted to say Theresa May reminds me alot of Elizabeth from keeping up appearances.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

The Saurus posted:

This is absurd garbage and the sort of shite the alt-right hold up as "this is what feminists actually believe".

I hate all Suzanne Moores*

*based on a sample size of 1. Maybe there are good ones out there but it's not looking great so far.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Saurus posted:

Which is why inheritance tax should be 100% or more somehow so that us younguns can get an opportunity to feast on that sweet, sweet old person flesh money

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Driving licence chat: I'm old and I passed my test years ago (it was a year that began with 19) but I've never had a letter telling me to renew my photo card.

Now I'm all worried like

Edit: although I did get ID'd at the supermarket when buying a big bottle of Teacher's at the weekend (I'm making blackberry whisky) so that was nice. Welp that's all from me for now

Zephro fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Sep 6, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Okay I've thought about it and over-100% inheritance tax seems like a great idea. Instead of choosing who'll get cash from your death in your will, you get to pick who has to give up some of the money they already own to the state. This is going to be fantastic

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Bees are actually communists and great, wasps are the capitalists of the insect world and can gently caress off and die IMO.
Wasps are also good, especially the parasitic kind. Both parasitic and non-parasitic wasps control a lot of agricultural pests.

There's no easy political allegory for that though. Over half of all species are parasitic and nature is terrible, so maybe there is one somewhere.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Wasps are cunts and i murder them on sight

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
There was a wasp on the inside of my kitchen window this morning.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Guavanaut posted:

Wasps are also good, especially the parasitic kind. Both parasitic and non-parasitic wasps control a lot of agricultural pests.

There's no easy political allegory for that though. Over half of all species are parasitic and nature is terrible, so maybe there is one somewhere.

Anarchy :can:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/sep/06/does-the-left-have-a-future

quote:

All over the west, the left is in crisis. It cannot find answers to three urgent problems: the disruptive force of globalisation, the rise of populist nationalism, and the decline of traditional work by John Harris
Well that seems easy enough to solve, just find a mine and send him down it :shrug:

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Is John Harris that twat with a girl's haircut from the 1970s who keeps making GBS threads on Corbyn while crying about how he totally has the best interests of the left at heart?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
postal orders should really have a big highlighted "THIS IS THE POSTAL ORDER NUMBER" on it because there are 3 different numbers ffs

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

He's a good and incisive writer on politics who practises a radical new form of journalism involving visiting the parts of the country he's writing about and spending most of his time outside Westminster instead of sitting in a lobby bar yukking it up with MPs, yes.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Zephro posted:

He's a good and incisive writer on politics who practises a radical new form of journalism involving visiting the parts of the country he's writing about and spending most of his time outside Westminster instead of sitting in a lobby bar yukking it up with MPs, yes.

He is a good writer, and his analysis is usually pretty great, but I always feel dissatisfied with his conclusions. The one in this piece seems to be 'Corbyn's internationalism is wrong, he should seize onto the nationalism that is brimming in the country', and while there may be an undercurrent of racism and xenophobia in it, that seems to be what the new working class precariat want, so run with it. He ignores the role of the media in framing the left, and that has an influence on the way that traditional left-leaning voters perceive it. He also starts the piece by going on about the collapse of left wing parties, and concludes by saying that Labour should support proportional representation, because that would fix its problems, but ignores the fact that the countries he lists at the beginning all have proportional representation, and due to an atomisation of politics, are unable to create stable coalitions (Spain being a perfect example).

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jose posted:

postal orders should really have a big highlighted "THIS IS THE POSTAL ORDER NUMBER" on it because there are 3 different numbers ffs

What are you using a postal order for?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The Saurus posted:

You are the Prince of Wales and I claim my five pounds of organic biscuits

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
BBC Fake Britain on in the background, telling me how to tell the difference between a 'real' NutriBullet and a fake one. Are they just straight up doing product placement now, or will they be telling me the difference between real and fake dowsing rods next week?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pissflaps posted:

There was a wasp on the inside of my kitchen window this morning.

Did you murder it on sight?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Barry Foster posted:

Did you murder it on sight?

I left it alone i'm hoping it will have disappeared by the time I return home.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Guavanaut posted:

BBC Fake Britain on in the background, telling me how to tell the difference between a 'real' NutriBullet and a fake one. Are they just straight up doing product placement now, or will they be telling me the difference between real and fake dowsing rods next week?

Well, it's not really a case of people buying something that they know is an imitation, it's that you're paying over the odds for a knock-off that could potentially be unsafe. For example: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35075642

The BBC posted:

Fake Nutribullet explodes in safety test after four seconds

More than one million people are buying counterfeit electrical products in the UK every year, according to Electrical Safety First.

Steve Curtler, the charity’s product safety manager, told the BBC that the products, many of which could be found online, often did “not work” and could be a “potential fire risk, electric shock risk.”

To illustrate the dangers, 5 live Investigates went to the TÜV Rheinland laboratory with the charity to test a genuine Nutribullet blender and a fake.

Whilst simulating what would happen if a piece of ice or stone jammed in the blades, the genuine product passed the safety test. However, the fake product exploded after just 4.28 seconds.

Nutribullet’s UK distributor, High Street TV, said Nutribullet was independently tested to ensure that it met all UK and European safety regulations.

They recommended only purchasing the product direct from approved stockists.

Counterfeits can actually be quite problematic, whether we're talking about cosmetics containing arsenic, products with electrical defects, fake medicines etc.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Pesmerga posted:

He also starts the piece by going on about the collapse of left wing parties, and concludes by saying that Labour should support proportional representation, because that would fix its problems, but ignores the fact that the countries he lists at the beginning all have proportional representation, and due to an atomisation of politics, are unable to create stable coalitions (Spain being a perfect example).
This is actually a very good point, cheers.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
UKMT is this well islamophobic or am I being too sensitive.

Daniel Anderson is local councillor for the area and this seems a really weird dog-whistly thing to say, especially as the Ponders End Mosque visit is made up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pesmerga posted:

Well, it's not really a case of people buying something that they know is an imitation, it's that you're paying over the odds for a knock-off that could potentially be unsafe. For example: -

Counterfeits can actually be quite problematic, whether we're talking about cosmetics containing arsenic, products with electrical defects, fake medicines etc.
Yeah but they didn't even tell the public that if you pay full price for a real NutriBullet you're being ripped off for a piece of crap that makes outlandish nutritional claims. Faced with the choice between paying over the odds for something that claims it can get extract 100% of your RDA of vitamins from cardboard* or paying over the odds for something that explodes the responsible advice would be "don't".

*mild hyperbole

e: ^^^ Seems like a bizarre comment, what was the original context?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pistol_Pete posted:

Old people are more of an economically exploitative class, like landlords (poo poo, a lot of them ARE landlords), cynically and maliciously sucking wealth out of the young to make their useless, wrinkly old lives even more comfy and luxurious. Fighting back against them is no more than legitimate self-defense.

In fact, I'd be in favour of a Purge style scenario where, one night a year, it's legal to break into houses and, if you manage to kill the owners, you get to keep the house. THAT'D solve the housing crisis, by god!

Of an evening I like to put on my most menacing hoodie (it's got a meme on it), get my zombie knife and go out mugging olds in economic self defence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pesmerga posted:

One of the weirder research bids I've considered applying for was a means of automatically detecting fake olive oil by shining a laser through bottles of the stuff and looking at the characteristics of the refracted light. Apparently bottling lovely olive oil as expensive stuff or even adulterating it with other oils is big business.

• Locked thread