Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
The only response to all this "Is the Left dying" bollocks from the commentariat is:

No, Corbyn tripled the size of the Labour party in a few months and made it the largest social democratic party in the world. You just have to offer something that looks vaguely like actual leftism rather than rewarmed neoliberal bilge.

34,000 pounds is the listed salary for "Compliance Officers" of the Labour Party.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^^ Seems like a bizarre comment, what was the original context?

Some long running beef about a cycle lane, some residents lead by Mrs Osman want it to divert around the shops so customers can still park next to them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Vitamin P posted:

Some long running beef about a cycle lane, some residents lead by Mrs Osman want it to divert around the shops so customers can still park next to them.

I don't think the comment you have posted is Islamaphobic.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/06/black-lives-matter-protesters-occupy-london-city-airport-runway

"All flights disrupted as police attend protest against environmental impact of air pollution on black people"

Yes you read that correctly.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Jippa posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/06/black-lives-matter-protesters-occupy-london-city-airport-runway

"All flights disrupted as police attend protest against environmental impact of air pollution on black people"

Yes you read that correctly.

Weird. I can only see white protesters in their photo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

One of the weirder research bids I've considered applying for was a means of automatically detecting fake olive oil by shining a laser through bottles of the stuff and looking at the characteristics of the refracted light. Apparently bottling lovely olive oil as expensive stuff or even adulterating it with other oils is big business.
That reminds me of that low cost fluorescence spectrometer that Public Lab made to help fishing villages monitor for water contamination from oil refineries, because olive oil was part of the calibration.

Vitamin P posted:

I can't see the Muslim angle on cycle lanes myself, but I wouldn't put it past local politics to try and sneak that in.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Pissflaps posted:

Weird. I can only see white protesters in their photo.

Protesters reportedly swam across a dock to reach the runway. A spokeswoman for BLMUK said she could not confirm or deny this. However, she did confirm that all the protesters who had chained themselves together on the runway were white.

:roflolmao:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

(Aren't most of the people at the greatest risk from climate change Asian though?)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Guavanaut posted:

(Aren't most of the people at the greatest risk from climate change Asian though?)

Most immediate would probably be Micro- and Polynesians

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Saurus posted:

Is John Harris that twat with a girl's haircut from the 1970s who keeps making GBS threads on Corbyn while crying about how he totally has the best interests of the left at heart?

He's the one who's most vocally defended Corbyn supporters and Brexit voters.

Vitamin P posted:

UKMT is this well islamophobic or am I being too sensitive.

Daniel Anderson is local councillor for the area and this seems a really weird dog-whistly thing to say, especially as the Ponders End Mosque visit is made up.

Looks pretty dog-whistle to me. How has she 'misled' residents in the 'West'?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
BLMUK must be really sad that the police have been too scared to shoot any black people since those great riots swept the entire country a few years back and they have to spend their time doing this nonsense instead of being far cooler like their american counterparts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

One of the weirder research bids I've considered applying for was a means of automatically detecting fake olive oil by shining a laser through bottles of the stuff and looking at the characteristics of the refracted light. Apparently bottling lovely olive oil as expensive stuff or even adulterating it with other oils is big business.

isn't this mostly/entirely italian olive oil since its all controlled by the mafia

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Tesseraction posted:

He's the one who's most vocally defended Corbyn supporters and Brexit voters.

I'm pretty sure I read an article by him that was critical of Corbyn and I immediately hated and blacklisted him, because I would fight and kill and die for Jeremy.

Maybe that was just his paymasters at the Guardian forcing him to drop out a turdlet though.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

The Saurus posted:

BLMUK must be really sad that the police have been too scared to shoot any black people since those great riots swept the entire country a few years back and they have to spend their time doing this nonsense instead of being far cooler like their american counterparts.

You think Black Lives Matter want the police to shoot more black people in the UK?

Or are you being ironic and i'm missing it?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Saurus posted:

Protesters reportedly swam across a dock to reach the runway. A spokeswoman for BLMUK said she could not confirm or deny this. However, she did confirm that all the protesters who had chained themselves together on the runway were white.

Oh dear Christ. Like, I support the BLM guys in general, but if no actual black people are interesting in attending your protest maybe you should have a little bit of a rethink rather than trying to appropriate the movement?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Didn't this lead to like hundreds of people dying in Spain a few years ago?

e:The adulteration obviously, not the laser thing.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 6, 2016

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

feedmegin posted:

Oh dear Christ. Like, I support the BLM guys in general, but if no actual black people are interesting in attending your protest maybe you should have a little bit of a rethink rather than trying to appropriate the movement?

They seemed to have plenty of black people in the selfie video they produced though. Maybe the white supporters make up for the centuries of oppression and privilege by being the ones who actually have to go out and protest, so that the black members can stay in the office making social media videos and drinking vimto.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Saurus posted:

I'm pretty sure I read an article by him that was critical of Corbyn and I immediately hated and blacklisted him, because I would fight and kill and die for Jeremy.

Maybe that was just his paymasters at the Guardian forcing him to drop out a turdlet though.

He criticised some of Corbyn's handling of media and policy, but it was more a general lament about the left not gaining hold of the public consciousness. He still defends Corbyn's mandate, unlike many others.

He also does real journalism and asks ordinary people in the middle of buggerfuck nowhere their opinions because he (quite rightly) believes they have a right to be heard.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
loving hell the saurus is on a roll today

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Saurus posted:

They seemed to have plenty of black people in the selfie video they produced though. Maybe the white supporters make up for the centuries of oppression and privilege by being the ones who actually have to go out and protest, so that the black members can stay in the office making social media videos and drinking vimto.
I like vimto.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Didn't this lead to like hundreds of people dying in Spain a few years ago?
There was an epidemic of poisoning in Spain a couple decades ago, but it was almost certainly due to organophosphate poisoning due to improperly processed salad vegetables. The government of the time didn't like that theory though.

There have been more recent cases of oil intended for industrial use (and denatured with aniline to protect farmers' profits) being consumed and leading to bad things though.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Guavanaut posted:

I like vimto.

They make a Vimto flavoured chewy bar. I highly recommend it.

It's second only to refreshers in sweets I ask me mam to send me.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

MrL_JaKiri posted:

loving hell the saurus is on a roll today

Every time I think I hate pissflaps I remember that The Saurus exists and suddenly flaps seems like a good lad who means well.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Every time I think I hate pissflaps I remember that The Saurus exists and suddenly flaps seems like a good lad who means well.

you what mate

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

By the way Llamas, the Bear's replacement pub has already closed and been replaced by a cocktail lounge. It's rather an odd change.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Spotted a white van with the phrase "YES! WE! VOTED! LEAVE!" sloppily spray painted in red n the back of his van. Must have been a little awkward for the guy in the Dutch car behind him stuck in traffic on the M27 though

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Holy poo poo it worked, we actually managed to change something.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/sep/06/sports-direct-to-ditch-zero-hours-contracts?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/nedsimons/status/773093841981308929

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Spotted a white van with the phrase "YES! WE! VOTED! LEAVE!" sloppily spray painted in red n the back of his van. Must have been a little awkward for the guy in the Dutch car behind him stuck in traffic on the M27 though

I could see myself doing that, to be honest.

I had already convinced myself that the inherent cowardice and subservience of the British races would lead to a Remain victory in a "hope is a lie" kind of a way.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Someone should install a chip in Ken's brain so that every time he says Hitler or Nazi he gets an electric shock.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

forkboy84 posted:

Someone should install a chip in Ken's brain so that every time he says Hitler or Nazi he gets an electric shock.

Maybe they have and he likes it

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Can't even be arsed to do up the top 3 buttons on his checkered shirt and cover the t-shirt he's got underneath

It looks like the sort of image you'd get if you accosted someone's senile granddad outside their north london terrace demanding answers

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

in other words, it is tuesday.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

The Saurus posted:

you what mate

I think the post was pretty clear.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Saurus posted:

It looks like the sort of image you'd get if you accosted someone's senile granddad outside their north london terrace demanding answers

i think you've diagnosed the problem

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Not actually changing anything for the agency staff who were the ones being paid below minimum wage illegally, which is "nice".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Keith Vaz hired male Hitlers?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Guavanaut posted:

Keith Vaz hired male Hitlers?

It's tough to get female ones. Just ask Max Mosely.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

It was one of the Mafia's first lines of business and apparently is something they're still involved in. There was a programme on Radio 4 months ago, in the aftermath of the horse-meat scandal, that was looking at adulteration of food and I seem to remember them claiming that most of the olive oil you buy at supermarkets has been cut with other, cheaper oils in shady circumstances before being sold to the big buyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/773112668295139328 https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/773113691793420289

• Locked thread