Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The Nina, the Pinta, and the Aleppo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

JOHNSON: Syria later suckers!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

greatn posted:

Well? What is it?

Nothing, what's Aleppo with you? :haw:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah, it pretty much has been this bad since at least the '90s and the beginnings of the right wing media sphere, but more broadly since the adoption of the Southern Strategy.

The Republican Party has been fundamentally morally bankrupt since Ronald Reagan, though Nixon laid a lot of the groundwork. Largely because American conservatives aren't properly conservative - they aren't really in favor of preserving the status quo or emphasizing slower, gradual change - so much as they're reactionary fascists with an obsession with otherizing minorities, putting women "in their place" and advocating for psychotically interventionist foreign policy to enrich their military-industrial backers.

Edit: That said it's important to keep reminding ourselves that Trump isn't really a true believer. I'm sure he's an rear end in a top hat and a racist, but he's probably not any more racist than, say, your racist grandpa. What makes him special is that he's basically figured out what makes the modern Republican Party tick, and hijacked it to make a quick buck. He's so inconsistent because he has no meaningful policy - he just says whatever will get him the most attention and money from conservatives, because they're easy to take for a ride.

He literally started his career discriminating against black renters, he's racist af

e: i mean your grandpa may be really racist too so idk maybe its true

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lid posted:

Find anyone anywhere praising or even being neutral on Matt Lauer right now.

is there a clip of this by any chance?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

rscott posted:

He literally started his career discriminating against black renters, he's racist af

e: i mean your grandpa may be really racist too so idk maybe its true

My grandpa is pretty loving racist. But he also has dementia and is not long for this world. :negative:

That said, I wasn't trying to excuse Donald Trump's racism. Make no mistake, he's probably just about as racist as you'd expect from an out of touch rich New Yorker who came from money and who's an utter sociopath. My point is that how racist he is, is irrelevant, because he's willing to be as racist as the Republican crowds - and Republican donors - he draws want him to be. He's willing to be a cipher for the American Right, projecting whatever views or ideas they want him to in order to make money and get attention. His personal views are probably terrible, but I doubt he believes half the dumbass poo poo he says, or at least has any conviction in that regard. He's just a showman doing an act.

Edit: mostly I'm trying to clarify for people who are confused at how Trump can be so incoherent or inconsistent, or think he's dumb. He's not an idiot at all, he's probably actually pretty drat smart. He's just not really trying to get elected, and his behavior comes across as completely crazy to us because we're used to candidates, you know, trying to win.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Trump's sexism is pretty clearly a core part of who he is, though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Night10194 posted:

Trump's sexism is pretty clearly a core part of who he is, though.

Almost certainly, yes. He's a member of the good old boys club in New York's elite and he's used to getting whatever he wants, whenever he wants it. I'm sure he doesn't even view women as people, just things. Not that he probably thinks much better of men, he just doesn't want to gently caress men.

I totally believe Donald Trump is a total rear end in a top hat with terrible opinions, but I don't think he has any political convictions behind them. Remember, he was a Democrat before Obama, and I totally believe that he would still be a Democrat if he hadn't decided he could make more money and get more attention being a massive prick about the loving birth certificate. That's it. He's a massive sell out who has no meaningful ideology and who will do whatever makes him the most money. He used to think that meant backing the Dems, now he thinks it means conning the Republicans. Either way, expecting consistency or meaning from his policies and speeches is pointless because he has no meaningful politics to speak of. He's an old, white jackass who's out for money and fame, and he's doing a pretty drat good job of it, all things considered.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lightning Knight posted:

Almost certainly, yes. He's a member of the good old boys club in New York's elite and he's used to getting whatever he wants, whenever he wants it. I'm sure he doesn't even view women as people, just things. Not that he probably thinks much better of men, he just doesn't want to gently caress men.

I totally believe Donald Trump is a total rear end in a top hat with terrible opinions, but I don't think he has any political convictions behind them. Remember, he was a Democrat before Obama, and I totally believe that he would still be a Democrat if he hadn't decided he could make more money and get more attention being a massive prick about the loving birth certificate. That's it. He's a massive sell out who has no meaningful ideology and who will do whatever makes him the most money. He used to think that meant backing the Dems, now he thinks it means conning the Republicans. Either way, expecting consistency or meaning from his policies and speeches is pointless because he has no meaningful politics to speak of. He's an old, white jackass who's out for money and fame, and he's doing a pretty drat good job of it, all things considered.

Trump is already grifting his own campaign. He's not spending a dime on its infrastructure whatsoever.

he doesn't have an ideology, he's just an orange conman with a thin skin.

As if last night wasn't some grotesque and obscene display of posturing only to be further encouraged and entertained.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lastgirl posted:

Trump is already grifting his own campaign. He's not spending a dime on its infrastructure whatsoever.

he doesn't have an ideology, he's just an orange conman with a thin skin.

Exactly. I think Trump is immensely dangerous in what he represents - the hypothetical possibility that a vapid conman with no ideology and no interest in the public good could win an American election and obliterate the status quo in the worst way possible - but I don't think he personally should be taken seriously as some great threat to us. He's not trying to win and he's not in it to become President. Does that mean we shouldn't work really hard to get Hillary elected? No, of course not. But everyone trying to ascribe some kind of meaningful motivations, policies, or ideals to him is just going to end up confused and scared because Trump isn't about that poo poo. He's in it for the money, the fame, and the potential for more money and fame down the line.

For example, the whole bit about rigged elections. He doesn't actually give a poo poo about that. I suppose he might, in the old man sense of somebody told him that's a thing and he's outraged, but he doesn't really care because he doesn't want to be President. He just wants to set himself up an avenue to stay relevant in right-wing circles after the election so he can market his inevitable new TV show, merchandise, and other money-making ventures to the right-wing public. He's a textbook case of how to co-opt messaging and branding and I hope every single marketing and political science class in the US for the rest of time studies this election to see how you can carefully craft an effect strategy to put together a large support base and have it stolen away from you because you leaned too heavily into conditioning your followers to ignore reality.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't see how anyone could ever look at Trump and see any principles. He's an utter narcissist: he's not psychologically capable of keeping an ideal beyond whatever he thinks will gain him the attention he desires. Other people are just tools to him. He's not capable of empathizing with them in any real way. The only difference is that he seems some (white men) as preferable to others. The Presidency is just his biggest con yet, he has no intention of actually doing the job even if he gets it.

The fact that our political system and media are incapable of dealing with a man like this says damning things about them both.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Oh, he definitely wants to be president. It's the most powerful and important man in the world, and he obviously is the best man alive, so he deserves it, right?

Make no mistake, he really wants it, now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Oh, he definitely wants to be president. It's the most powerful and important man in the world, and he obviously is the best man alive, so he deserves it, right?

He wants to be able to tell people that he's President. He wants other people to have to call him "Mr. President." He in no way actually wants to have to do the work that is required of the President.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

:laffo:

Even I know that poo poo and I couldn't tell you the name of every state and their capitols off the top of my head. (I'm a huge history nerd, but I've always been abysmal at geography).

The capitol of Syria.

No it's not?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So is the media back to 'Well it was a rough night for both of them' or did they grow any balls?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Night10194 posted:

He wants the name, power, and attention, yes, but he has no intention of actually doing the un-fun job of President. He'd have to work hard, stifle his yuge personality, take constant criticism from the entire world, and face some actual consequences when he screws everything up. He does not want that, no. He thinks he can pass off all responsibility onto Pence so he can keep lapping up the attention.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Geostomp posted:

I don't see how anyone could ever look at Trump and see any principles. He's an utter narcissist: he's not psychologically capable of keeping an ideal beyond whatever he thinks will gain him the attention he desires. Other people are just tools to him. He's not capable of empathizing with them in any real way. The only difference is that he seems some (white men) as preferable to others. The Presidency is just his biggest con yet, he has no intention of actually doing the job even if he gets it.

The fact that our political system and media are incapable of dealing with a man like this says damning things about them both.

I understand how a lot of people seem to wander into the thread and have no prior political experience or understanding and are like "holy poo poo guys how can Trump say such crazy and terrible things?!" That's mostly what I was addressing.

I don't really like to psychoanalyze people I've never met and at most I'd be willing to say that Trump is probably a sociopath. Which is why I usually try to caution from calling him dumb. He's clearly pretty drat smart, you don't hijack one of the most powerful political parties in the world while being an idiot. He's just also completely amoral and driven by motivations most of us can't relate to because we're not loving socipathic robots.

I think our political system has handled Trump fairly well. He hasn't gotten any huge leads yet, he hasn't managed to break 50%, and the political establishment is doing a fairly good job of keeping him down. Hillary herself isn't doing amazingly well, but that's more a product of who she is and what she represents to the public at large than anything to do with Trump. In a hypothetical Trump versus Obama scenario this wouldn't even be a loving competition

It does say pretty loving dire poo poo about the current media establishment though, because they're massive hacks.

Night10194 posted:

I'm not really sure I agree. Trump is clearly not stupid and if he was actually interested in the Presidency he would be more reserved in his blatant rhetorical fear mongering to try to appeal to a broader audience. Obviously all of this is purely speculation, but I think he came into this less interested in winning and more in capturing the lucrative right-wing audience.

I mean sure, he wouldn't turn down the Presidency. He'd get plenty of attention. But he'd also be burdened with a lot of boring responsibility and poo poo he doesn't care for, and Trump is driven first and foremost by poo poo he likes to do. I don't think he came into it thinking he actually could win, but I'm sure he'd be thrilled if he did, at least at first.

I could obviously be wrong though. It's all just guessing since we aren't Trump (thank Christ).

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Punkbob posted:

No it's not?

Holy poo poo I'm retarded.

I totally thought it was.

Well, at least I knew it was a city in Syria that is important. God I'm dumb. :saddowns:

I even loving looked that up before I posted! I didn't read closely enough though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Our political system would be doing a much better job handling Trump if it wasn't laser focused on its blistering hatred of his opponent.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Geostomp posted:

He wants the name, power, and attention, yes, but he has no intention of actually doing the un-fun job of President. He'd have to work hard, stifle his yuge personality, take constant criticism from the entire world, and face some actual consequences when he screws everything up. He does not want that, no. He thinks he can pass off all responsibility onto Pence so he can keep lapping up the attention.

Yeah, as the campaign said: Pence is going to focus on foreign and domestic policy, freeing Trump up to Make America Great Again.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah the ideal presidency for Trump is doing absolutely nothing except press conferences and rallies where he can rail against his enemies, rubber stamp whatever is put in front of him, and everything else that's boring is offloaded on to Pence or whatever handler is given to him by the GOP while running all his various scam businesses making a mockery of the position. Frankly watching the media and political system as a whole flounder to deal with his antics I'm not sure he wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lightning Knight posted:

Holy poo poo I'm retarded.

I totally thought it was.

Well, at least I knew it was a city in Syria that is important. God I'm dumb. :saddowns:

I even loving looked that up before I posted! I didn't read closely enough though.

happens, Damascus is the capital~

Its just that Aleppo might as well be the WAR capital.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Radish posted:

Yeah the ideal presidency for Trump is doing absolutely nothing except press conferences and rallies where he can rail against his enemies, rubber stamp whatever is put in front of him, and everything else that's boring is offloaded on to Pence or whatever handler is given to him by the GOP while running all his various scam businesses making a mockery of the position. Frankly watching the media and political system as a whole flounder to deal with his antics I'm not sure he wouldn't be able to pull it off.

Perhaps, but Trump likes money almost as much as he likes attention. The presidency would get him lots of attention but not really that much money, at least not immediately. Whereas tapping into the right-wing media sphere gets him slightly less attention, but a whole lot more money, and none of the bothersome "work" attached to being President.

Lastgirl posted:

happens, Damascus is the capital~

Its just that Aleppo might as well be the WAR capital.

The Wikipedia preview says it's the capital of something and I was like yup, checks out. I am the dumbest motherfucker.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

WampaLord posted:

He wants to be able to tell people that he's President. He wants other people to have to call him "Mr. President." He in no way actually wants to have to do the work that is required of the President.
So what? I mean, is this some sort of excuse that he only wants the fun parts? We all know how Trump would make decisions - exactly the same way as he's campaining, by repeating the words of the last person who he had been talking to. Unless he perceived the last person to have slighted his ego, in which way he'd lash out against them.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what's all this about Matt Lauer?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Grouchio posted:

he didnt wear a white scholar robe at the forum

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lightning Knight posted:

My grandpa is pretty loving racist. But he also has dementia and is not long for this world. :negative:

Possibly also true of Trump

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Grouchio posted:

Last night they had a town hall style question and answer session with Hillary and Trump. Hillary went first, got a bunch of dipshit questions about emails, and Lauer was a sexist prick who kept interrupting her and then got all offended when she was annoyed with that.

Trump then got on and blatantly lied, corrected the only female questioner (she was right), defended a tweet essentially blaming women for getting raped in the army, and sucked some of that sweet Putin cock on stage. Lauer did nothing to challenge or even control Trump's answers, never interrupted him like Hillary, and was generally a giant hack.

He immediately got ripped apart for all this and the NYT did as well for putting out a terrible story on the subject.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lightning Knight posted:

Perhaps, but Trump likes money almost as much as he likes attention. The presidency would get him lots of attention but not really that much money, at least not immediately. Whereas tapping into the right-wing media sphere gets him slightly less attention, but a whole lot more money, and none of the bothersome "work" attached to being President.

The Wikipedia preview says it's the capital of something and I was like yup, checks out. I am the dumbest motherfucker.

I would expect a Trump Presidency to involve leveraging the position of President to make money. There's no way he would actually stop engaging in business dealings for four years or actually divest himself in any meaningful way.

So we would have Pence running the ship of state while Trump continues to Trump along, but now with the title of President to help him bully his way into favorable contracts.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Litany Unheard posted:

I would expect a Trump Presidency to involve leveraging the position of President to make money. There's no way he would actually stop engaging in business dealings for four years or actually divest himself in any meaningful way.

So we would have Pence running the ship of state while Trump continues to Trump along, but now with the title of President to help him bully his way into favorable contracts.

That's fair, I concede, and my position that Trump doesn't seemingly want to actually be the President got a lot weaker when the whole "Pence can rule at my side and we can become POWERFUL IN THE DARK SIDE" thing came out. I'm still not convinced he wants to be, or at least that he wants to be enough to be motivated to try for that instead of settling for king poo poo of gently caress mountain in the RWM sphere, but I agree that you guys have a better case for why he might want to.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
It's insane how the media right now is playing with fire, just absolutely outrageous

Hillary needs to eviscerate him at the debate to end this fantasy narrative

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Lightning Knight posted:

Last night they had a town hall style question and answer session with Hillary and Trump. Hillary went first, got a bunch of dipshit questions about emails, and Lauer was a sexist prick who kept interrupting her and then got all offended when she was annoyed with that.

Trump then got on and blatantly lied, corrected the only female questioner (she was right), defended a tweet essentially blaming women for getting raped in the army, and sucked some of that sweet Putin cock on stage. Lauer did nothing to challenge or even control Trump's answers, never interrupted him like Hillary, and was generally a giant hack.

He immediately got ripped apart for all this and the NYT did as well for putting out a terrible story on the subject.

It gets better

quote:

And if you think only the Clinton camp was angry, think again.

Try the conservative news and opinion website, Breitbart, seething at "Clinton Foundation 'notable member'" Lauer for soft-pedalling the Democratic candidate.

"Matt Lauer failed to ask the White House hopeful a single question about the myriad allegations that she used her position as secretary of state to sell access to major Clinton Foundation donors," it raged.

congratulations Matt, you managed to alienate the elite, the journalists, the media, AND the base of both parties.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Lastgirl posted:

It's insane how the media right now is playing with fire, just absolutely outrageous

Hillary needs to eviscerate him at the debate to end this fantasy narrative

They just plain can't understand that this guy A: Could win if they keep this poo poo up and B: Really is the kind of dude that will have journalists jailed for criticizing him if he has the power to.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Lightning Knight posted:

That's fair, I concede, and my position that Trump doesn't seemingly want to actually be the President got a lot weaker when the whole "Pence can rule at my side and we can become POWERFUL IN THE DARK SIDE" thing came out. I'm still not convinced he wants to be, or at least that he wants to be enough to be motivated to try for that instead of settling for king poo poo of gently caress mountain in the RWM sphere, but I agree that you guys have a better case for why he might want to.

I'll agree that he doesn't want to be President as we understand the position. He definitely doesn't want those duties or responsibilities.

Has anyone asked Trump what it is the President does? Just a basic civics "Mr. Trump, please explain the role of the Executive branch as it relates to the two other branches of government." I believe his answer to that would explain a whole lot about his motivations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
These are questions asked of a nominee for the most important job in the (arguably) unilateral world by a moderator:

What have you experienced in your personal life or your professional life that you believe prepares you to make the decisions that a commander-in-chief has to make?

You recently received two intelligence briefings ... Did anything in that briefing, without going into specifics, shock or alarm you? … Did you learn new things in that briefing?

Will you be prepared on day one, if you’re elected president of the United States, to tackle these complex national security issues?

Let me end in kind of the same place I started. Have you given much thought, Mr. Trump, if you're elected president and commander-in-chief, to that moment where you're going to have to make that first decision that puts American men and women in harm's way?

Have you thought about personally the emotional burden of that moment?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Lid posted:

It gets better

congratulations Matt, you managed to alienate the elite, the journalists, the media, AND the base of both parties.

:laffo:

But, but guys, I made BOTH SIDES MAD, clearly I did my job well! :downs:

Night10194 posted:

They just plain can't understand that this guy A: Could win if they keep this poo poo up and B: Really is the kind of dude that will have journalists jailed for criticizing him if he has the power to.

Honestly, some of the usual suspects were complaining that the mean liberals weren't backing up freedom of the press, but freedom of the press exists to be in the service of the public good, not as some platonic ideal in and of itself. If the press is content to usher in a fascist leader then the press can go hosed, and if he wins because of them I hope we all get to point and laugh at them being first up against the wall before we get marched into the camps.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm sure Making America Great Again would be very lucrative for National CEO Trump, while Shadow President Pence actually ran everything.

poo poo, Trump hasn't even stopped running his business to run for president, there's no reason to think he would stop if actually elected.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
is there a clip of lauer getting poo poo on at the morning show or was it not that much of a making GBS threads on?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Lid posted:

You recently received two intelligence briefings ... Did anything in that briefing, without going into specifics, shock or alarm you? … Did you learn new things in that briefing?

lol, hey Donnie, what did you learn at school today? Really? Wow, that's really cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm picturing President Trump's weekly fireside chats and they're mostly him hawking President-Trump-brand merchandise.

"You can show YOUR support for me, the president, by buying my President Trump brand golf bags."

• Locked thread