Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enrious
Jan 22, 2015

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Would you rather play a full game of 40k Apocalypse or have a scrunt infestation in your home for a week?

The scrunt infestation would be over first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Depends. Do the other Apocalypse players also hate it and suffer? Also where is the game hosted? Because if the game is hosted at my house, would it not be the same thing as a week long scrunt infestation except longer?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Treat it like aversion therapy. Find the most absurd Ultramarines player you can, and lose to them. Repeatedly. Pointlessly. While obviously trying your best.

Until even they start to think enough is enough.

Then keep going. :gibs:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Fluxxx or Warhammer?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Who the gently caress wants to play Munchkin in 2016? I see it in game stores but no one is ever playing it.

I ask the same question about Flux but I think that is to scam parents into buying stuff for their nerd kids based on the box theme.

Yeah, why play Munchkin when EXPLODING KITTENS exists?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
Exploding kittens is perfectly aimed at its target audience of people who think the oatmeal is funny

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

SynthOrange posted:

Fluxxx or Warhammer?

Fluxxx, because in Fluxxx you can lose on purpose within minutes. In Warhammer even losing on purpose takes forever.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Isn't Munchkin basically just "Chez Geek but worse"? I don't mind Chez Geek too much but that's mainly because it always felt a little less, I dunno, "kingmakey"?

Munchkin is fun once, tops.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Hra Mormo posted:

Fluxxx, because in Fluxxx you can lose on purpose within minutes. In Warhammer even losing on purpose takes forever.

I was in a game store the other day playing X Wing and these two dudes were warhamming and the one guy kept loudly breaking into an exaggerated Cockney accent for effect.

Games Workshop is bad

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

canyoneer posted:

I was in a game store the other day playing X Wing and these two dudes were warhamming and the one guy kept loudly breaking into an exaggerated Cockney accent for effect.

is it true that the rulebooks encourage this now

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

PupsOfWar posted:

is it true that the rulebooks encourage this now

only if you play orks

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

SynthOrange posted:

Fluxxx or Warhammer?

Depends, basic just basic Fluxx? Because Zombie Fluxx is at least slightly more coherent of a game than normal Fluxx.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Fluxx reminds me of Mao except I somehow ended up paying money for Fluxx. Also Mao's gimmick is slightly funnier.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm of the opinion the only remaining way to tolerate 40k is via Kill Team, Herald of Ruin (same thing), or Necromunda. Having never played epic except for the computer interpretations, I have no real opinion on that one.
For Fantasy, it's basically Mordheim or nothing (so maybe warmaster I guess?).
There used to be a Fantasy combat patrol, but they never updated the rules to my knowledge, and we're now stuck with AoS, so I don't care about that (unless someone updated it to 8th/9th age I guess?).

Otherwise, I'd rather go learn Infinity, or play Battletech.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SynthOrange posted:

Fluxxx or Warhammer?

Fluxx is not a good game but it's over quick and is pretty cheap, so fluxx all the way

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Fluxx is not a good game but it's over quick and is pretty cheap, so fluxx all the way

If you go to a game store looking for a fast and casual fun card game in that price range and you somehow leave with Fluxx instead of Love Letter something has gone horribly wrong.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

But Fluxxx is so wacky and random you guys!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
http://imgur.com/a/UGzmM

Here is my poor cotton wool covered and now very faded chariot. I have three in total. I dunno why I can't paste a timg of it.

I also seem to have a copy of 40k second edition, dark millenium and warhammer magic. I'm not really sure what to do with them but my prevailing instict is to chuck them in the bin.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you go to a game store looking for a fast and casual fun card game in that price range and you somehow leave with Fluxx instead of Love Letter something has gone horribly wrong.

well yeah but that wasn't part of the either or choice

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

mcjomar posted:

Otherwise, I'd rather go learn Infinity, or play Battletech.
Yesssss, join us. Give in to your anger...

All joking aside, I know people say that the learning curve for Infinity is steep, but the introductory sets (Icestorm & Red Veil) do a really good job of easing you in. Once you have the basic gameplay concepts down (how Automatic Reactions and Face-to-Face rolls work), the rest is actually surprisingly easy. Plus Corvus Belli is much more consistent in their use of terminology in the rules, which makes is refreshingly to figure poo poo out just by reading said rules.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Last night I found the following metals in my apartment:

- Slaan Mage-Preist
- Killa Kan
- Big Mek with Shokk Attack Gun
- Big Mek with KFF (the head is missing though)

I think I'm going to put them together and paint 'em up just because they're cool poo poo

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Taear posted:

http://imgur.com/a/UGzmM

Here is my poor cotton wool covered and now very faded chariot. I have three in total. I dunno why I can't paste a timg of it.

I also seem to have a copy of 40k second edition, dark millenium and warhammer magic. I'm not really sure what to do with them but my prevailing instict is to chuck them in the bin.

Are you in the UK? Ebay em.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Ilor posted:

All joking aside, I know people say that the learning curve for Infinity is steep, but the introductory sets (Icestorm & Red Veil) do a really good job of easing you in. Once you have the basic gameplay concepts down (how Automatic Reactions and Face-to-Face rolls work), the rest is actually surprisingly easy. Plus Corvus Belli is much more consistent in their use of terminology in the rules, which makes is refreshingly to figure poo poo out just by reading said rules.
To be honest the only reason Infinity seems complex is because it doesn't really use mechanics from other games like 40k except using dice and tape measures and little space barbies. It's a great game because it's so far removed from the warhams mold that it's an entirely new experience.

Come for the great rules, stay for the dogshit official forums.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Ilor posted:

I've been surprised how quick it is to pick up Infinity. Before playing I tried reading the rule book on a computer and found it a pretty terrible experience, because there's constant back and forth of "So what does this skill do? And it comes with these other skills? What do they do?". But after playing Ice Storm, and now 2 additional games with people wanting to teach me, it's pretty easy to pick up. The basic rules are completely solid and the list builder/courtesy list is INCREDIBLE, more games companies need to do that kind of thing.

The only really difficult bit about it is learning all the different models and variants for each faction you'll face, but as long as you're playing with good people who explain who somebody is and what they're equipped with, it's not too tough to pick up. All the factions choosing weapons/skills mostly from the same list really helps too, instead of having to remember different equipment for every different faction.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Flux is a trap for relatives of board game players. They go into a shop trying to either buy a present for their loved one or looking for a game to play with them that isn't complicated and there are a ton of these card games with eye catching art right next to the cash register. Of course every time I've played with REGULAR people they get bored so fast because the game is absolute trash and even people that don't play games regularly can figure out quickly there is no skill or point. At least "We didn't play test this game" has some interesting things happen before the game randomly ends.

I hate Munchkin with a passion since the game encourages you to gently caress over people when they try to do cool things and stop that from happening constantly which is like the opposite of what a game should be doing. It's terrible.

I was at a nerd convention this year and someone from Looney Labs was running around trying to give flux promo cards away in the gaming room and I saw people throw them in the trash immediately after getting them. The correct choice.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 9, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SynthOrange posted:

But Fluxxx is so wacky and random you guys!

No that's We Didn't Playtest

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Munchkin is good

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What exactly is Fluxxxxxxxxx though? Like I see a big old rack of themed boxes of them at the store, but it's apparently garbage, I just want to satiate my curiosity

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Everyone should play Battletech.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

TTerrible posted:

Are you in the UK? Ebay em.

They'd be really expensive to post, the boxes are huge.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

What exactly is Fluxxxxxxxxx though? Like I see a big old rack of themed boxes of them at the store, but it's apparently garbage, I just want to satiate my curiosity

I had the misfortune of playing Monty Python Fluxx. At the time, like you, I only knew it was a game, but nothing else about it.

It was the worst gaming time I've ever had. You draw a card and play a card from your hand. The cards contain new rules.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 9, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The gimmick behind Fluxx is that the rules are constantly changing. The flow of the game is you draw a card then play a card and then pass the turn to the next player. There are basically three types of cards: permanents called "keepers" that you put in front of you, action cards which have immediate effects, and rules change cards. The rules change cards change the properties of the game, including hand size, card draw per turn, cards played per turn, etc. The biggest one is the win condition. You win the game by having specific keepers in front of you based on the win condition. So the win condition will be "birthday party: have both the birthday cake and balloons keeper cards." The issue is that anyone can change the win condition during their turn and there's so many different keepers you can't plan anything out. Basically the game is to just play rules changes, put out stuff, and then eventually someone wins because they happened to have the right keeper cards in their hand after someone plays a win condition for them.

It's basically totally random but there are no fun random effects and the cards are boring so it's just playing stuff until the game suddenly ends. I think it's one of those games (like Munchkin) that was able to be at the forefront of the current board game popularity so it has a legacy and people mistake that for being good.

EDIT: wow that Monty Python one would get really old really quick. I guess that's where they got the Age of Sigmar "pretend to ride a horse" rules from.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 9, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Iron Crowned posted:

It's a card game where you get a hand of cards, and initially you take a card from the deck and play a card from your hand. Some of the cards are additional rules that you can play to change the game - like taking more cards, or playing more cards, or other things. You also get other cards that you play onto the table that either do things, or work as part of the goal.

You win the game by completing the goal, and goals are one of the card types you can get and play. This means that not only are the rules changing regularly, the end objective is as well (which is generally to get a specific set of cards on the table or possibly fulfill another condition like emptying your hand).

Practically speaking, this means that it is almost impossible to play with any sort of strategy or thought because the rules may change several times before your next turn, and someone might win simply by drawing a goal that matches their current cards and playing it. Or maybe they'll play a goal that you can complete with your cards in hand, and you'll win. Who knows!

What makes it worse is that there is a lot of zany poo poo in there like in the Monty Python version you can add rules that allow you to draw extra cards if you talk with an accent or quote the film or something. I assume that the other versions are all equal grating in that regard.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm played three different versions (original, Regular Show because I am a sucker, and Holiday) and none of them had nearly as much stupid poo poo as those Monty Python cards. I like Monty Python like every other nerd but it really attracts the people that have no idea when a joke has been beaten to death.

El Estrago Bonito is right, Love Letter really is the one to go for if you want a quick, light card game but it caps out at four players.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Well really, cutting your social circle down the three friends is a small price to pay to not have to play Fluxx.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ashcans posted:

Well really, cutting your social circle down the three friends is a small price to pay to not have to play Fluxx.

The inverse of this is I really want to play Captain Sonar with eight players since that sounds amazing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SynthOrange posted:

I had the misfortune of playing Monty Python Fluxx. At the time, like you, I only knew it was a game, but nothing else about it.

It was the worst gaming time I've ever had. You draw a card and play a card from your hand. The cards contain new rules.

:yikes:

I got a headache trying to read through that.

Radish posted:

I'm played three different versions (original, Regular Show because I am a sucker, and Holiday) and none of them had nearly as much stupid poo poo as those Monty Python cards.

Yeah, I was tempted by it once but I then I heard the rumblings about how lovely of a game it is. At this point I can definitely see why it's a trap, "my nephew likes games and Adventure Show!"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Taear posted:

They'd be really expensive to post, the boxes are huge.

Ah if it's the whole boxes yeah that sucks

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was ready to loving cry by the end because there were half a dozen points where the game was almost over then we drew a card that said essentially 'start all over again'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SynthOrange posted:

I was ready to loving cry by the end because there were half a dozen points where the game was almost over then we drew a card that said essentially 'start all over again'

I would have just burned the house down because I loving hate Monty Python at this point in my life.

• Locked thread