Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This is a bad thread.

The OP was wrong in every way.

Probably a troll because no one can be that stupid.

OP probably is that stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

ElGroucho posted:

Why does sushi have all these goddamn rules? Nobody at the mexican place is going to hassle you if you break apart your enchilada, pour all the salsa in, then cut it up with a knife to baby sized portions, and then wrap a tortilla around that. All of the items are there for you, use none or all of them, who gives a poo poo?

I've heard that if you put the knife a certain way on a Japanese plate, you are insulting them by telling them to kill themselves. Also, if you leave chopsticks sticking out of rice, you are reminding them of their impending death. This is why that whole population is going to disappear in 30 years, they are all too butt hurt about food.

Bon Appetite showcased a Vietnamese restaurant owner preparing his variation of Pho with the clickbait title "Here's how you Eat Pho", and social justice warriors are ballistic because he's white.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/krishrach/a-chef-tried-to-tell-people-how-to-eat-pho-and-it-didnt-go-w

They pulled the vid because the chef started getting threats and his restaurant review-bombed.

Anyway keep in mind that adding jalepenos to your noodle dish is on par with whatever Columbus did

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
lol @ inland people who eat seafood

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Now *THIS* is how you should be eating pho!

*brings bowl up to lips and makes obnoxious slurping noises*

Like of all the lovely LIEberal battles to pick the sanctity of pho must be the silliest. The average broth is about as appetizing as dirty bath water after a weekend of camping.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 9, 2016

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Dragon rolls are awesome

that's my contribution

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Bitter Mushroom posted:

lol @ inland people who eat seafood

Sushi is usually flash frozen at sea.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ElGroucho posted:

Why does sushi have all these goddamn rules? Nobody at the mexican place is going to hassle you if you break apart your enchilada, pour all the salsa in, then cut it up with a knife to baby sized portions, and then wrap a tortilla around that. All of the items are there for you, use none or all of them, who gives a poo poo?

I've heard that if you put the knife a certain way on a Japanese plate, you are insulting them by telling them to kill themselves. Also, if you leave chopsticks sticking out of rice, you are reminding them of their impending death. This is why that whole population is going to disappear in 30 years, they are all too butt hurt about food.

yeah like white people don't have 1001 etiqeutte rules you break nonstop while eating; it's just that there's no otaku equivalent assholes around to tell you 'hey that's actually the SOUP spoon' or whatever the hell

and incidentally go to any fine dining restaurant and start doing some stuff like that to the food and they'll all be super offended too

INTERACTIVE CD-ROM
Nov 18, 2005

Love?
Gyoza sauce on sushi is the one true path

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

This is a bad thread.

I seem to remember Applewhite being good and cool, maybe it's his turn to go insane and make terrible threads.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htDtGc1SPlc

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

yeah like white people don't have 1001 etiqeutte rules you break nonstop while eating; it's just that there's no otaku equivalent assholes around to tell you 'hey that's actually the SOUP spoon' or whatever the hell

and incidentally go to any fine dining restaurant and start doing some stuff like that to the food and they'll all be super offended too

Actually, schools on "western dining etiquette" are a thing in China

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/chinese-fork-16-000-etiquette-article-1.1406526
https://money.cnn.com/2014/11/19/luxury/wealthy-china-etiquette/

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Of course.

I'm saying no white people in the US are really going to correct you about it like the weeabo otakus will about the chop sticks in the rice thing. I bet in Japan itself no one really cares about the chopstick thing.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I would correct somebody about it. I'm actually well educated and not a plebeian pretending to have cultural experience though.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

This is a bad thread.

Actually it's you who's wrong because American sushi is more flavorful and bigger than Japanese sushi.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

Of course.

I'm saying no white people in the US are really going to correct you about it like the weeabo otakus will about the chop sticks in the rice thing. I bet in Japan itself no one really cares about the chopstick thing.

Nah I've seen people there get legit bothered if you do certain things with chopsticks, like using them to pass things to another person's chopsticks. But that's only because it has a morbid symbolism, as people only do that during funeral rites with bone fragments after a cremation.

But they're more level-headed about explaining it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

how me a frog posted:

I seem to remember Applewhite being good and cool, maybe it's his turn to go insane and make terrible threads.

He would need to be modded first.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

je1 healthcare posted:

Nah I've seen people there get legit bothered if you do certain things with chopsticks, like using them to pass things to another person's chopsticks. But that's only because it has a morbid symbolism, as people only do that during funeral rites with bone fragments after a cremation.

But they're more level-headed about explaining it

Maybe if they were smart they would keep eating utensils away from corpses and then chopsticks wouldn't remind them so much of dead people all the time. That's my hot take.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

numberoneposter posted:

im getting hungry

Cool, I'm just going to bite into this piece of sushi with two cucumber slices with grubs on them balanced exactly on the edges of the rice so they'll fall off if you breathe on them.

Either that or the caterpillars with the stinging spines still intact :wtc:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

Why did they give a poo poo what you did with the rice after you paid for it?
I assume he's talking about an all you can eat thing and people picking the fish off nigiri and leaving the rice which is obviously pretty ridiculous.

Also as far as your op goes I dunno what kind of sushi you were eating but for nigiri (the ones with fish on top of a bit of rice) you're not supposed to dunk the whole thing in soy sauce you're supposed to lift the fish off, dunk that, then put it back on and eat it. If you dunk the whole thing the rice absorbs so much soy sauce that it drowns out the pretty mild flavors of the fish, which is fine if that's what you want to do but imo kind of a waste for what is typically a pretty expensive food.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The best sauce to go with a steak is ketchup.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Applewhite posted:

Maybe if they were smart they would keep eating utensils away from corpses and then chopsticks wouldn't remind them so much of dead people all the time. That's my hot take.

"This is Chet, coming at you from my Asian-fusion funeral home located here in the heart of Philly. So here's how you can embalm a corpse Chengdu-style, first you grab your utensil, I prefer to use a fork"

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Death to the west

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Chomp8645 posted:

The best sauce to go with a steak is ketchup.

Yeah I mean essentially dunking the whole thing in soy sauce would be like buying a filet mignon and dousing it in ketchup, it's your food so do what you want but it is gonna come across like you don't really appreciate the meat itself and it's kind of a waste.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I eat my meat raw, while it is still attached to the animal, alive

You aint never eat real meat until feel its pulse on your tongue

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ArbitraryC posted:

Yeah I mean essentially dunking the whole thing in soy sauce would be like buying a filet mignon and dousing it in ketchup, it's your food so do what you want but it is gonna come across like you don't really appreciate the meat itself and it's kind of a waste.

Yeah that's me which is why I never buy good steaks for myself or order them at restaurants. Because no matter what kind of steak it is I'm gonna ketchup it and any leftover are going into steak n eggs (probably also involving ketchup).

Similarly, I will order sushi rolls but never nigiri for the same reason.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Zzulu posted:

It's rude to call your father an animal.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

ArbitraryC posted:

I assume he's talking about an all you can eat thing and people picking the fish off nigiri and leaving the rice which is obviously pretty ridiculous.

Also as far as your op goes I dunno what kind of sushi you were eating but for nigiri (the ones with fish on top of a bit of rice) you're not supposed to dunk the whole thing in soy sauce you're supposed to lift the fish off, dunk that, then put it back on and eat it. If you dunk the whole thing the rice absorbs so much soy sauce that it drowns out the pretty mild flavors of the fish, which is fine if that's what you want to do but imo kind of a waste for what is typically a pretty expensive food.

It was sushi rolls, not nigiri.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is ketchup on steaks an american thing or something? Why would you do this to yourselves

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

i only eat spider rolls made with real spiders for the real authentic experience

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Yeah that's me which is why I never buy good steaks for myself or order them at restaurants. Because no matter what kind of steak it is I'm gonna ketchup it and any leftover are going into steak n eggs (probably also involving ketchup).

Similarly, I will order sushi rolls but never nigiri for the same reason.
That's the thing though—if ketchup with steak is what you enjoy, more than steak without ketchup, and you're enjoying it as much as someone who enjoys steak without ketchup, why does it even matter??

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

It was sushi rolls, not nigiri.

I guess it kinda depends then, personally I dunk rolls in soy sauce still but my gf thinks it's too much soy sauce cause you can't really avoid soaking the rice. For me the rolls are kinda more low quality anyways and already have lots of filler so it doesn't really matter, they're like the chicken nuggets of sushi. I prefer nigiri and go with the method she taught me and I agree it's a much better approach if you actually like the fish itself.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

a hole-y ghost posted:

That's the thing though—if ketchup with steak is what you enjoy, more than steak without ketchup, and you're enjoying it as much as someone who enjoys steak without ketchup, why does it even matter??

He's just saying that if he's gonna put ketchup on steak anyways and it has a strong flavor he might as well get cheaper cuts of steak rather than splurging extra on something when he's mostly gonna get a meaty ketchup taste regardless.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don't dunk sushi, but LOL if you think I'm not going to give this bland rear end nigiri a little taste of soy goodness

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'd eat most of that assuming theyre dead

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

I once ate a snake's still beating heart with a shot of grain alcohol, and I'm not lying like you are.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Oh no, you have disrespected my mole dish, and brought dishonor to all Americans"

*Proceeds to not care, and collect money, spend it on alcohol. *

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
wow a snakes heart

snakes dont even have arms

lame

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

a hole-y ghost posted:

It doesn't matter I'm just saying that since all I really want is meat with ketchup I don't purchase fancy meats because that is a waste. If for some reason I am presented with a fancy steak anyway then yeah I'll eat it how I want, but I am not going to create the situation myself because I just don't appreciate really high end meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
How the gently caress are snakes supposed to get a sweet pump at the gym with no arms SMGDH

• Locked thread