Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mursupitsku
Sep 12, 2011
Earlier this summer I bought my first motorcycle that isn't an ancient wreck and can actually be ridden: -05 Suzuki dr-z400sm. And to me it's perfect: Low mileage, just ~13000 kms, Yoshimura exhaust, 3x3 mod and supposedly jetted at a shop, a clean tail light and license plate setup, no over the top stickers and overall very clean, almost like brand new. Sure it's 10 years old but I don't think dr-zs have been imported to Europe after -07.

Mursupitsku fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
most excellent

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Supermoto for your first motorcycle. The best choice. Clean bike, too!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I feel like there was a missed opportunity not having the bike on top of the car pile. It's a supermoto, get to it :getin:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
A little hesitant to post this, but I traded in the KLR today. It's a liter bike in function but not in form. It is however really easy to manage for the riding I do, and it's rather sedate below 8k rpm. I need to add a radiator guard ASAP but other than that it's perfect.

And one of its chicken beak.

The dealer threw in some luggage and it will be going back next week for its 600 mile checkup.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
That is one hell of a horsepower leap from a KLR. Nice dadbike!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

How was your coffee? :D

Nice bike! It's begging for some magadan paniers, or hard cases.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Good lord no. Buy the factory luggage, it's great.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

rdb posted:

A little hesitant to post this
That thing is awesome and never apologize for a dadbike.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I just rolled 21k on my S1000XR. It still owns.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

I just rolled 21k on my S1000XR. It still owns.

I think the bigger selling point may be that you're selling your SD but keeping the S1k.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I think the bigger selling point may be that you're selling your SD but keeping the S1k.

Whoa, why are you selling the SD, Z3n?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Shakedown before Seattle-Portland round trip.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Both the S1000XR and the Super Duke GT; love the back of these bikes but I hate the front. Ugly. I want the utility but also want to feel it when I'm going 80.

The R1200R might work. And the white and red model is super sexy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

pokie posted:

Whoa, why are you selling the SD, Z3n?

It's had about 800 miles put on it in the last 4 months, half of that by folks who aren't me. It's a great bike but I just never ride it, and I've got the car project to be concerned about once the CBX is finished up. I'll snag something silly for the track or just ride the XR or whatever, honestly.

HotCanadianChick posted:

The point where I became super sold on the S1000XR was when I was riding it 2 up, chasing a buddy on the 1290 on Skaggs Road, and I was able to comfortably maintain the fast pace without any issues. If he decided to wick it up a bit to "really riding fast", I'd start to get pulled due to increased braking distances and loss in acceleration, but for all normal fast, fun riding, I could easily handle the XR 2 up at the fastest sane street pace I'd be willing to run. No sacrifices in ease of riding and such either, just go fast and have fun and do it in massive amounts of comfort with a topbox. If I did more trackdays and had a bit more disposable income, I'd keep the SD around as a track toy, but it just sits and slowly devalues and burns money in insurance for little value right now.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 10, 2016

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

That's at the windy ridge observatory by mount St Helens. I could see the steam coming off the dome.

The ride there is miraculous

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 12, 2016

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Angryboot posted:

Yup. Plus like M42 said, kendon trailers are light enough not to be a worry. This setup went up through the grapevine from L.A. to the track 500 miles north without any problems

I don't know what the deal is, but my brother and I own a 2nd generation (?), ~2006 Kendon and something about that particular model has quite a bit of tongue weight with an SV and an R6. Its enough to get the front end of his RDX blinding oncoming traffic with the low beams.

I don't have a tow kit on my ms3 but I definitely wouldn't try towing both bikes with that.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
Picture from Squaw Pass Road. Takes me about 25 minutes to get to the start of these twisties. Living in Denver is awesome.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Must be nice to live in a place that has more than straight roads everywhere.

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
I moved here from Texas, so yes, it definitely is.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

MetaJew posted:

I don't know what the deal is, but my brother and I own a 2nd generation (?), ~2006 Kendon and something about that particular model has quite a bit of tongue weight with an SV and an R6. Its enough to get the front end of his RDX blinding oncoming traffic with the low beams.

I don't have a tow kit on my ms3 but I definitely wouldn't try towing both bikes with that.

That's pretty hosed up; I've had zero issues towing my old 1996 trailer. Wonder what changed on the gen 2 that caused that.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

rdb posted:

A little hesitant to post this, but I traded in the KLR today. It's a liter bike in function but not in form. It is however really easy to manage for the riding I do, and it's rather sedate below 8k rpm. I need to add a radiator guard ASAP but other than that it's perfect.

And one of its chicken beak.

The dealer threw in some luggage and it will be going back next week for its 600 mile checkup.

Hard to believe there are three XR's on this forum.

Let me know if you want a couple plugs to fill in those swing arm pivots. I didn't want to buy the extensive R&G ones, so I bought some generic thing on Amazon. Unfortunately I had to buy 40 of them.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

SA is getting older and the XR is really good.

Did you get the vibes sorted on yours?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I thought your first post about the XR said that the vibration was just something the reviewers made up to have something to complain about.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Z3n posted:

SA is getting older and the XR is really good.

Did you get the vibes sorted on yours?
I ended up doing lead in the bars and heavy bar end weights. The problem still exists but it's manageable for now. I was going to do some vibe damping handlebars but I just kind of lost interest in messing with it.

Sagebrush posted:

I thought your first post about the XR said that the vibration was just something the reviewers made up to have something to complain about.
It seems to be very bike dependent and most can be sorted by doing heavy bar end weights. I seem to have gotten unlucky. My remaining hope is that it will dissipate as the mileage accumulates.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Kastivich posted:

I ended up doing lead in the bars and heavy bar end weights. The problem still exists but it's manageable for now. I was going to do some vibe damping handlebars but I just kind of lost interest in messing with it.

It seems to be very bike dependent and most can be sorted by doing heavy bar end weights. I seem to have gotten unlucky. My remaining hope is that it will dissipate as the mileage accumulates.

That's good - I keep meaning to put some sand in the bars but also so very lazy.

Sagebrush posted:

That was slightly hyperbolic - the vibes exist but I'm at 21k miles and haven't bothered to do anything to address them yet so that gives you an idea of how bad they are.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
Mine vibrates, but it doesn't bother me. I read that the later build dates vibrate less, and it's bike dependent. For me, if I am going to be cruising down the interstate I just leave it in road mode and the suspension set on road and it's fine. The vibes seem to be worse around 4.5k rpm with those settings, and cruising rpm is 5.5k. Granted, my longest ride so far has only been 3 hours.

Cruise control is amazing and I wish Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki would figure that out.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Z3n posted:

That's good - I keep meaning to put some sand in the bars but also so very lazy.

That was slightly hyperbolic - the vibes exist but I'm at 21k miles and haven't bothered to do anything to address them yet so that gives you an idea of how bad they are.

I emailed the guys at Flexx bars and they were really helpful but they were not sure the bars would fit. It is still on my list of things to explore in the future if things don't settle down.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
So I've been riding this for a few months now. It's got about 1300 miles on it that are all mine. I really really like it.

It has quirks for sure.

For the first 600 miles or so the gearbox would randomly kick back into neutral out of first when taking off from a stop (the dealer warned me about that one). Thankfully that has stopped by now.

And the torque from the engine goes in the opposite direction as the torque from the shaft, but that is more of a "oh, neat" feeling and doesn't seem to mess with anything.

I've only been on a few modern bikes, and not for very long. Plus one was a Harley. But this thing seems to vibrate more than other bikes out there. Not too bad. I've ridden it a few hundred miles at a time and the vibrations don't get to me. The wind is what is the most annoying thing with the upright sitting position.

It loves to cruise at 70 mph on the highway. And I can get it up to that speed pretty quickly. From there I've got extra juice for passing, but it's not zoom passing. I tend to just be mellow on it and go at whatever speed traffic is going anyway.

Fender fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 13, 2016

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Fender posted:

So I've been riding this for a few months now. It's got about 1300 miles on it that are all mine. I really really like it.

It has quirks for sure.

For the first 600 miles or so the gearbox would randomly kick back into neutral out of first when taking off from a stop (the dealer warned me about that one). Thankfully that has stopped by now.

And the torque from the engine goes in the opposite direction as the torque from the shaft, but that is more of a "oh, neat" feeling and doesn't seem to mess with anything.

I've only been on a few modern bikes, and not for very long. Plus one was a Harley. But this thing seems to vibrate more than other bikes out there. Not too bad. I've ridden it a few hundred miles at a time and the vibrations don't get to me. The wind is what is the most annoying thing with the upright sitting position.

It loves to cruise at 70 mph on the highway. And I can get it up to that speed pretty quickly. From there I've got extra juice for passing, but it's not zoom passing. I tend to just be mellow on it and go at whatever speed traffic is going anyway.

Get a pack of hearos ear plugs at the grocery store and wear them if you aren't already. My naked bike feels like a Lexus at freeway speeds ever since I start wearing them every ride

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Fender posted:

It has quirks for sure.

What kind of vibration are you feeling? When I got my V7 Special the left exhaust was making contact with a bolt holding the kickstand on, so vibrations from the pipe were being transferred to the bike and I could feel it in the foot pegs and it was bothering the crap out of me. If thats happening (you can just sort of look under the bike and see if the exhaust is touching anything), you can loosen the bolts holding on the exhaust and carefully pull it away. I have a V7 not a V7II so maybe they finally fixed that design flaw.

The transmission is by far the worst thing about the bike. Its criminally bad on the V7.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

ADINSX posted:

The transmission is by far the worst thing about the bike. Its criminally bad on the V7.

I know it's dry plate... is it louder than most? I was riding with someone last weekend on my v7 and they could hear me shifting over the Sena mic.

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
There is a new one on the V7 II, but I'm not sure how new exactly. It has 6 gears now though, so that's pretty cool. It's pretty smooth changing gears & there is an audible ch-thunk to it.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I sold my Yamaha SR150 to a total newbie. He's having all sorts of trouble trying to learn to ride it, but thankfully has a scooter to get around on in the meantime.

Otherwise, I traded in my own scooter and got this:

2016 AEON My150; Taiwan's answer to the Honda Grom before the Grom was available for import here :v:

It's got a noticeable uptick in power over my old Yamaha, but it's still in the "break in" phase. 300km before I can really start to wring it and have some fun. Also, unlike my Yamaha, this has a proper gearbox and not the old "Taiwan-style" layout. Only 5 gears, but hopefully give myself some practice on a proper gearbox before I make my next purchase.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

YF19pilot posted:

I sold my Yamaha SR150 to a total newbie. He's having all sorts of trouble trying to learn to ride it, but thankfully has a scooter to get around on in the meantime.

2016 AEON My150; Taiwan's answer to the Honda Grom before the Grom was available for import here :v:

It's got a noticeable uptick in power over my old Yamaha, but it's still in the "break in" phase. 300km before I can really start to wring it and have some fun. Also, unlike my Yamaha, this has a proper gearbox and not the old "Taiwan-style" layout. Only 5 gears, but hopefully give myself some practice on a proper gearbox before I make my next purchase.

Is this the opposite of the guy that buys a gixxer as his first bike because it's fantastic

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

rdb posted:

Mine vibrates, but it doesn't bother me. I read that the later build dates vibrate less, and it's bike dependent. For me, if I am going to be cruising down the interstate I just leave it in road mode and the suspension set on road and it's fine. The vibes seem to be worse around 4.5k rpm with those settings, and cruising rpm is 5.5k. Granted, my longest ride so far has only been 3 hours.

Cruise control is amazing and I wish Suzuki, Honda and Kawasaki would figure that out.

My one real gripe with the VFR is a lack of cruise control.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

YF19pilot posted:

That thing looks like so much fun. It's like a grom blended with a tw200. The longer wheelbase helps, and that motor seems so substantial. I'm guessing the thick profile from heat fins gives it that look. How big is the tank?

Just want to load the rear down with camping gear and hit the trails on it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Barnsy posted:

My one real gripe with the VFR is a lack of cruise control.

That's what Goldwings are for.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

I really didn't feel like exhuming the car from the pile of children's bikes and car parts and machetes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Oh hey, that reminds me