Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

An even more shocking betrayal of verisimilitude: the actions of your units are determined by the rolls of dice. But human beings do not suddenly win a fight because they saw a cube with a 6 on it.
I have been living my life all wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Avenging Dentist posted:

An even more shocking betrayal of verisimilitude: the actions of your units are determined by the rolls of dice. But human beings do not suddenly win a fight because they saw a cube with a 6 on it.
Says you. Last time I saw a 6 I kicked a guy's rear end. :colbert:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Avenging Dentist posted:

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Don't ever betray the verminitude

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm thinking about buying Vermintide. It's good right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How big is your backlog?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

SynthOrange posted:

How big is your backlog?

Of games I actually intend to play? Not too bad. I have people I can play Vermintide with if I want, so.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

If you want Left 4 Dead with that warhammer flavour go for it

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
It's fun but the last time I was actively playing (1-2 months ago) MP activity was flagging noticeably.

And it's not really a game you can play with Bots if you're interested in getting better gear.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Vermintide is really good. Seriously. It's not without its issues, but bashing rats is just so great I don't mind. If you've got a group of friends to play with and co-op survival stuff is y'all's thing then get it.

Specifically, the loot system can be quite unfavorable, but they've put in a shrine you can use to make it work a bit better. The devs were going to add a daily quest system too, but got sidetracked by making Xbox/PS4 versions of the game. They're not a big team. Supposedly, that stuff's still coming.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Numlock posted:

Equally unforgivable is that the Ashigaru spearmen in the Samurai army will be functionally identical to the Roman ones.

I also bet a single samurai can't just cleave through hordes of Teutonic knights with his superior katana like he aught to :colbert:

Avenging Dentist posted:

Then... don't mix eras. I fail to see the issue people have here. If you can make historically accurate armies, who cares if you can make timewarp armies? It'd be another thing entirely if the rules didn't let you make the historical armies you like.

People just have to forge their own time-space-continuum narrative.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 11, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Vermintide owns but loot system sucks as mentioned above. Goon activity has died down but if you ever get it, there is a thread. I'm always down to play but I'm on steam infrequently

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

My car got broken into last night. The thieves stole my $150 dollar guitar but left the $1000 worth of GW Fantasy miniatures I've been trying to sell locally. CAN'T EVEN GET THESE loving THINGS STOLEN.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Being a crook doesn't prevent having tastes. Sorry to hear about the guitar though.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Avenging Dentist posted:

Maybe he should play with like-minded people.

I feel like the lesson here is that historicals players are every bad Warhammer stereotype multiplied one hundred fold. Waaaah what if my opponent played an unfluffy army waaaaaah

I don't think this is very fair, in historicals there's an expectation of a vaguely, well... historical feel to the game. Like if you were saying "yeah can't wait to play pike and shot tonight!" and the other guy turns up with a pike block, a musket block, a gatling gun and a spitfire V, yeah ok I can see why that would be annoying, you're playing historicals so there has to be some kind of expectation of a historical focus. Warhammer has no such restrictions on composition beyond the army list, so hard counters and combos and "yeah all the dark angels and space wolf special characters turned up to this one place at the same time, also Yarrick is there and theres a baneblade", because that's the game you're playing.

But in the case of a Roman army where - shock horror - some of the guys have the segmentata and the others are cataphracts, caring about that too much is ridiculous.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
That's because it's annoying to see the Spitfire in numbers that just didn't exist at the time. Anyone who's actually interested in history knows Claudius was driven back by Hurricane squadrons.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I would unironically love Deadliest Warrior: The Tabletop Wargame.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

The Bee posted:

I would unironically love Deadliest Warrior: The Tabletop Wargame.

History Channel basically made this. It was a grid based wargame played with cards (kind of similar to Tash Kalar) called Anachronism. I remember it being kind of swingy but the production values were very high and I bought some of it when it came down to ultra clearance prices. You can still grab it places like Hills or eBay for cheap if you're curious. IDK why you'd play it with miniatures but you totally could if you wanted to.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

In any case, I have zero interest in Star Wars (with the exception of ANH, ESB, the X-Wing/TIE Fighter videogames, and Republic Commando), so I doubt I'll ever see their system in action anyway.

You know those are specifically what the FFG RPGs are about right?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 12, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

kingcom posted:

You know those are specifically what the FFG RPGs are about right?

Yeah, but so are a lot of EU stories, and I don't read those either. The Star Wars universe just doesn't do much for me. If I played the Star Wars RPG it'd probably be a total conversion into a completely different setting. (Top on the list would be removing Jedi entirely.)

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, but so are a lot of EU stories, and I don't read those either. The Star Wars universe just doesn't do much for me. If I played the Star Wars RPG it'd probably be a total conversion into a completely different setting. (Top on the list would be removing Jedi entirely.)

Yeah, 2 of the 3 main settings pretty specifically eschew jedi. They have some basic Force stuff to placate people until the Jedi-centric books came out, but it totals like 5 pages worth of stuff.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should do a Star Wars RPG where you play a unit of Storm Troopers. Jedi are very rare high-level enemies

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Star Wars' potential for interesting RPGs is definitely with the mundanes. I love the setting and Jedi are especially cool to me no matter how much they were ripped off from Kurusawa or wahtever. But the only way you could include them in an RPG is if it was only incredibly toned down, like, force sensitives who don't get any real jedi training for the first IRL year of the game.

But I'm still sore over how bad IKRPG handles Warlocks and Warcasters.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I still like the Dark Heresy idea that the players are the retinue of a GM Character and i think that could work great for Jedi and Warcasters too.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Jedi should be way easier to handle in a narrative-focused system. I still think it's a shame something as pulpy as Star Wars is still being run in quite crunchy systems.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Guy Goodbody posted:

They should do a Star Wars RPG where you play a unit of Storm Troopers. Jedi are very rare high-level enemies

I agree. Then we can more easily identify the closet Nazis in our local gaming communities.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Coward posted:

Jedi should be way easier to handle in a narrative-focused system. I still think it's a shame something as pulpy as Star Wars is still being run in quite crunchy systems.

I dunno, I think the FFG Star Wars RPG's are all pretty narrative. It's not nearly as rules-light as something like a PbtA game, but the actual action that happens in the game is all very narrative in focus in my experience.

I don't really see why even a certain level of crunch is a bad thing specifically for the Star Wars setting.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
FFG's Star Wars RPGs are great and I was sad that they didn't port the system over to 40k, it would have been a great fit. I've been thinking about converting it for an Only War game but I am supremely lazy.

Seriously, even if you don't live Star Wars, they scratch the crunch-heavy D&Desque itch without being horrible messes.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

fnordcircle posted:

Star Wars' potential for interesting RPGs is definitely with the mundanes. I love the setting and Jedi are especially cool to me no matter how much they were ripped off from Kurusawa or wahtever. But the only way you could include them in an RPG is if it was only incredibly toned down, like, force sensitives who don't get any real jedi training for the first IRL year of the game.

But I'm still sore over how bad IKRPG handles Warlocks and Warcasters.

That how it does Jedi actually. Every force using career run the gamut from "You know you can do weird stuff when you focus a lot, but most of your skillset remains being good at sticking to the shadows" to "You want to be like the Jedi of old so you call yourself a Consular. Even if you barely know what a Consular actually was and have no formal training".
Actual Prequel level Jedi are supposed to be given a huge xp boost at chargen, and even so, you'll be a B lister rather than Anakin or Obi-Wan. And by this amount of xp, the non force users can pull absolutely ridiculous stuff as well.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm looking forward to the Runewars minature game because I enjoy the Runebound world. It's still quite generic fantasy but it's definitely got some interesting bits that they can flesh out better when they bring out some lore books. It grabs me more than Kings Of War's stuff at least.
Also I like the idea of having my Descent heroes doing even more stuff. Think I'd play the Orcs, should they release them as an army. I expect them to since 6 seems a reasonable jumping off point for a minutures game. They'd be:
Latari Elves
Dunwarr Dwarfs
Daqan Lords (humans)
Uthuk Y'llan (demons)
Waiqar the Undying (undead)
Orcs of the Broken Hills

A little something for any fantasy fan, I guess.

My pet theory is that FFG told them they had a models manufactory that's their own and GW freaked out and quit. It must have happened a while back and the last few hero and monster packs for Descent have been made of different plastic and look really good compared to previous ones. Maybe FFG asked if they could make Warhammer again and GW said no.

Taear fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 12, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Iceclaw posted:

Being a crook doesn't prevent having tastes. Sorry to hear about the guitar though.

Dude opened up the case to look in while going through my trunk so I assume he was like "hmm what's in here, WOAH can't sell this poo poo for anything pass!"

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So Jedi are the Mary Sue Grey Knights of Star Wars?

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

LordAba posted:

So Jedi are the Mary Sue Grey Knights of Star Wars?

Try again without ridiculous internet buzzwords like Mary Sue? I mean, yeah, fully trained Jedi are supposed to be in universe super powerful, though that's a lifetime commitment. So what?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Bistromatic posted:

I still like the Dark Heresy idea that the players are the retinue of a GM Character and i think that could work great for Jedi and Warcasters too.

Not even the Retinue. At first you're the guys he or she barely even knows about if they know of you at all, sent out by intermediaries to go and investigate things and hopefully call for more competent backup before you die. Dark Heresy is Canaries: The Coal Mining.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Night10194 posted:

Canaries: The Coal Minening.

The worst White Wolf rpg.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Anyway I bet Games Workshop will be too spooked to hand their license to any of the other big-name gaming companies.

It'll be some bunch of nobodies or (hopefully) a laughable attempt to produce replacements for those product-lines in house

Iceclaw posted:

That how it does Jedi actually. Every force using career run the gamut from "You know you can do weird stuff when you focus a lot, but most of your skillset remains being good at sticking to the shadows" to "You want to be like the Jedi of old so you call yourself a Consular. Even if you barely know what a Consular actually was and have no formal training".
Actual Prequel level Jedi are supposed to be given a huge xp boost at chargen, and even so, you'll be a B lister rather than Anakin or Obi-Wan. And by this amount of xp, the non force users can pull absolutely ridiculous stuff as well.

I once tried statting out Anakin and Obi-wan for the hell of it, then stopped when I realized I could be well over a thousand XP before I adequately represented all the stuff they pulled off in the Clone Wars or the prequels

this prompted me to be a bit more open-handed with the way I dole out XP, as there's little danger of us ever reaching those heights

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Why must you guys make me want to blow money on RPG books that I'm never going to get use of, I already have Rogue Trader

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Night10194 posted:

Not even the Retinue. At first you're the guys he or she barely even knows about if they know of you at all, sent out by intermediaries to go and investigate things and hopefully call for more competent backup before you die. Dark Heresy is Canaries: The Coal Mining.
Yea, when we started out I explained it to my players like this - an Inquisitor is probably concerned with an entire sector, maybe only a couple systems if they are important/heavily populated. So he has trusted representatives in each locale, and they basically round up groups of misfits and drop them down holes. If a team doesn't come back, it means there might be something worth looking into, and then they send someone with actual equipment and training to take a look.

Rarely, one of those groups runs into something nasty and makes it back, much to everyone's surprise. And if they didn't burn down the neighborhood in the process they might get promoted to the second tier. But many agents, even useful ones, will never actually meet or hear from the Inquisitor they serve directly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ashcans posted:

Yea, when we started out I explained it to my players like this - an Inquisitor is probably concerned with an entire sector, maybe only a couple systems if they are important/heavily populated. So he has trusted representatives in each locale, and they basically round up groups of misfits and drop them down holes. If a team doesn't come back, it means there might be something worth looking into, and then they send someone with actual equipment and training to take a look.

Rarely, one of those groups runs into something nasty and makes it back, much to everyone's surprise. And if they didn't burn down the neighborhood in the process they might get promoted to the second tier. But many agents, even useful ones, will never actually meet or hear from the Inquisitor they serve directly.

I still had their Inquisitor brief them before their first mission; it was a quirk of his, that he liked to meet as many of his Acolytes as he could before their first op so that he could instill proper motivation in them. Then send them off to almost certain death to see if they could handle it. I mean, the man was a Valhallan. And as time went and they survived they started seeing more and more of old Rykov until suddenly he was entrusting them with critical tasks to save an entire sector because if someone survives 8 lovely suicide missions in a row they're obviously either lucky as hell or incredibly talented and either will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Why must you guys make me want to blow money on RPG books that I'm never going to get use of, I already have Rogue Trader

Get Edge of the Empire or Age of Rebellion, its rad as gently caress. The game is entirely about you playing A New Hope and Empire Strikes back as chucklefuck heroes careening to the finish line. Also half the abilities + books in the game a star wars quotes. The most a jedi gets is Luke in a Empire, you can lift some rocks and get some bad feelings about poo poo but at the same time you have the Soldiers who can instantly kill every stormtrooper in a fight or the smuggler who can escape absolutely any situation, no questions asked.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 12, 2016

• Locked thread