Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/Fahrenthold/status/776816093830778880

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

what, are you afraid hes gonna seize the means of dewdrop magic production from your treetrunk keebler elf workshop? youre the only thing shorter than Trumps fingers, you midget faux-Chicagoan dweeb

I hate communists, and so should all real Americans. Why are you weak on known communist Donald J. Trump?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No they loving didn't. Like that didn't happen.

Like BIG loving BOLD LETTERS HERE the Clinton Campaign Did Not Circulate That Photo.

From the link earlier:

More:

Source: http://www.factcheck.org/2015/07/was-hillary-clinton-the-original-birther/

You linked to something talking about birtherism. Not the photo. That's precisely my point: "birtherism" can be credibly stretched beyond the bounds of "was he born here."

And for good measure I could also point out the "as far as I know" thing when HRC was directly asked about Obama's religion.

So, again: you define "birtherism" as just "was he born here yes/no." Which is absolutely a reasonable (and probably the correct) definition.

But if someone wants to say "birtherism" is just "the whole loving mess about how he's somehow some alien muslim from another planet" thing, HRC and her campaign are tied to it. And I think that's also a reasonable interpretion about birtherism.

e:

FactsAreUseless posted:

CLINTON CAMPAIGN WON'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR 'BIRTHER' PHOTO

I'm glad someone sees the humor in this :)

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

In this election cycle, whichever candidate is getting the most media attention at any given moment tends to suffer a polling slump shortly afterward.

Trump just stole all the attention and aggressively shat on the media all at once. The best thing Hillary can do now is stay the hell out of the way and let the media react to Trump as long as they want.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I wish the media would hound him on this, because it is the level of gotcha for them to handle.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

FairGame posted:

You linked to something talking about birtherism. Not the photo. That's precisely my point: "birtherism" can be credibly stretched beyond the bounds of "was he born here."

And for good measure I could also point out the "as far as I know" thing when HRC was directly asked about Obama's religion.

So, again: you define "birtherism" as just "was he born here yes/no." Which is absolutely a reasonable (and probably the correct) definition.

But if someone wants to say "birtherism" is just "the whole loving mess about how he's somehow some alien muslim from another planet" thing, HRC and her campaign are tied to it. And I think that's also a reasonable interpretion about birtherism.

They didn't circulate the photo. It was from Drudge.

quote:

As for the myth that Obama is a Muslim, the record shows that a couple of Clinton campaign volunteers in Iowa passed along emails with that claim. Such emails had been circulating for several months. The volunteers did not share this rumor widely, and at least one paid Clinton staffer immediately renounced it. The Clinton campaign moved quickly to remove the volunteers. We could find no evidence of a deeper connection to Clinton or her campaign.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/article/2015/sep/25/obama-muslim-myth-clinton-connection/

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 16, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/776816642403753984

lol, CNN sounds like a jilted lover angry that their date never showed up at the restaurant

MonkeyOnFire
Jun 3, 2004
I LOVE MONKEYS
CNN right now basically like "He think this done but NOOOOPE" (and that's the loving anchor and reporters). Don't get my hopes up too high, you lovely lovely media organization, but: you gonna do some work now? Like for real?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Rhesus Pieces posted:

In this election cycle, whichever candidate is getting the most media attention at any given moment tends to suffer a polling slump shortly afterward.

Trump just stole all the attention and aggressively shat on the media all at once. The best thing Hillary can do now is stay the hell out of the way and let the media react to Trump as long as they want.

Yeah I'm confused why he (read: his campaign) thought this was a good idea. Are they really all this clueless?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

I hate communists, and so should all real Americans. Why are you weak on known communist Donald J. Trump?

communists? what is this, 1963? in 2016 this is just admitting that youre scared of professors with bad hair, students with bad tattoos, and Vermont hillpeople who wear suspenders with their shorts and have opinions on beekeeping. hop back in your cozy coupe and take a hike, ya mook

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

MonkeyOnFire posted:

CNN right now basically like "He think this done but NOOOOPE" (and that's the loving anchor and reporters). Don't get my hopes up too high, you lovely lovely media organization, but: you gonna do some work now? Like for real?

If all it takes is some (admittedly pro tier) trolling to make the enemy of my enemy a friend, I'm willing to accept that.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

No they loving didn't. Like that didn't happen.

Like BIG loving BOLD LETTERS HERE the Clinton Campaign Did Not Circulate That Photo.

The Obama campaign claimed the Clinton campaign did, Matt Drudge says that's where he got it, and it was on the heels of a bunch of other dirty campaigning. The Clinton Campaign probably did circulate that photo.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
With the media now focusing on Trumps birtherism that is going to help Clinton by default.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rhesus Pieces posted:

At this point I don't agree. She can't rely at the "look at this fukken guy" strategy anymore, the other party's circled the wagons and she can't peel away any more R voters. She needs to start making herself visible, through surrogates or directly, and high-roading Trump whenever possible. You can't beat him at juvenile name-calling, he's got that on lock.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

communists? what is this, 1963? in 2016 this is just admitting that youre scared of professors with bad hair, students with bad tattoos, and Vermont hillpeople who wear suspenders with their shorts and have opinions on beekeeping. hop back in your cozy coupe and take a hike, ya mook

There is nothing to fear about groups needing some good oppression to get them to conform with American values. What is to fear is that the communist Donald J. Trump is attempting to subvert American policy to Russian interests.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oxxidation posted:

At this point I don't agree. She can't rely at the "look at this fukken guy" strategy anymore, the other party's circled the wagons and she can't peel away any more R voters. She needs to start making herself visible, through surrogates or directly, and high-roading Trump whenever possible. You can't beat him at juvenile name-calling, he's got that on lock.

FWIW it sounds like this strategy is already in progress, what with the "yeah I'm done talking about Trump, just the good things about my campaign from now on" and Bernie, Obama, and Warren out there for her.

I want Obama to respond to this. I want it so bad.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Periodiko posted:

The Obama campaign claimed the Clinton campaign did, Matt Drudge says that's where he got it, and it was on the heels of a bunch of other dirty campaigning. The Clinton Campaign probably did circulate that photo.

Matt Drudge, known reliable source and truth-teller.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Periodiko posted:

So are you saying the politico reporters are liars or just that you're a better reporter than they are?

But then again, it is your memory versus multiple articles by reporters, so clearly your memory is better.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Periodiko posted:

They did not and no one has ever, ever been able to source that in dozens of fact checks. There's literally no evidence that they circulated it.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Again, this does not mention the photo in question at all.

Further, Drudge isn't a reporter. He's just some rear end in a top hat aggregator that posts stuff that people send him. So even if Drudge was where the image first appeared, that has nothing to do with how it got there in the first place.

Look dude, we're not gonna convince one another, and you continually posting links that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about isn't going to help.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/776817698097332224

In a "normal" election cycle, Mark Cuban being an enthusiastic Hillary surrogate would be incredibly strange to see.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

lol dude, take a deep loving breath
eh I'm taking a lot of deep breaths, dude, really just tremendous, lung-filling breaths right now, okay? you know what I mean

Like anything short of Anderson Cooper just making GBS threads down Trump's throat on national television for fifteen straight minutes, is an underreaction to this poo poo. It is literally the reason he is running for President. Dude has spent the last eight years saying we got an illegal President, and his play now is "yeah, I made sure he was legit, okay? you're welcome" and anything short of the press body-slamming his rear end into The Pit from Dark Knight Rises, means the press is more trouble than it's worth at this point and they're so in the take for Donald that he's going to win.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

FairGame posted:

Further, Drudge isn't a reporter. He's just some rear end in a top hat aggregator that posts stuff that people send him. So even if Drudge was where the image first appeared, that has nothing to do with how it got there in the first place.

Look dude, we're not gonna convince one another, and you continually posting links that have nothing to do with what I'm talking about isn't going to help.

The photo was in the email in question duder.

And there has been literally zero proof other than baseless allegation and Matt Drudge saying it, that it came from the Clinton Campaign. Given there's no proof of literally any of the other charges -- it seems to reason this one is false as well.

So no, the Clinton Campaign did not insinuate he was a Muslim. They did not circulate the photo. And they didn't start birtherism.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 16, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FairGame posted:

Do you have any evidence besides your memory to support your claim the Clinton campaign was involved?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually pretty happy that Trump is taking massive dumps on the media, but all they can do is whine ineffectively, the complain about Hillary to be "fair" and then go back groveling to Trump as he keeps treating them terribly.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you have any evidence besides your memory to support your claim the Clinton campaign was involved?

A member of the media going for the "hmm maybe the truth is in the middle" option? Why I never!

fits my needs posted:

I'm actually pretty happy that Trump is taking massive dumps on the media, but all they can do is whine ineffectively, the complain about Hillary to be "fair" and then go back groveling to Trump as he keeps treating them terribly.

Confirmed, the media are all friend-zoned "nice guys".

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They did not and no one has ever, ever been able to source that in dozens of fact checks. There's literally no evidence that they circulated it.

Yeah, but I feel like they did, and isn't that the only thing that matters?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

HannibalBarca posted:

https://twitter.com/mcuban/status/776817698097332224

In a "normal" election cycle, Mark Cuban being an enthusiastic Hillary surrogate would be incredibly strange to see.

mark cuban is a bad man who hates trump and isn't spineless

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/feb/25/barackobama.hillaryclinton

It wasn't a great look back then, despite the Clinton 2008 campaign eventually circling back and denying that they didn't put it out there. Clinton's 2008 campaign was a mess, so it makes it much more believable that they someone within it did link it to Matt Drudge.

Clinton's 2008 campaign was pretty full of dog whistle racism towards its end as she tried as hard as she could to gather as much support from white people when it was clear she had completely lost the minority vote to Obama.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fits my needs posted:

They initially kept going back to Trump because Hillary wouldn't give them access (because they're a bunch of insubstantial twerps who need to be fired, out of a cannon, but still).

Hopefully she'll have taken the hint and start suffering their presence a little more this time around, while their grievances are still fresh.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Drudge said that was his source. That was the position of the Obama campaign.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1579833/Barack-Obama-tribal-photo-sent-to-Drudge-Report-by-Hillary-Clinton-staff.html

quote:

Barack Obama has accused Hillary Clinton of using "shameful" smear tactics after a picture of him wearing tribal robes and headgear in a Muslim region of Kenya was circulated on the internet.
The photograph of the Illinois senator, which was taken in 2006 during an official trip to Wajir, a majority ethnic Somali area in Kenya, appeared on the front page of the Drudge Report, where rival campaigns typically try to place damaging material.
Mrs Clinton's campaign team declined to deny that it had sent the photo to Drudge, whose report said the campaign was responsible for circulating the email.

quote:

Maggie Williams, Mrs Clinton's new campaign boss, argued that it was the Obama camp that was causing offence.
"If Barack Obama's campaign wants to suggest that a photo of him wearing traditional Somali clothing is divisive, they should be ashamed," she said.
"Hillary Clinton has worn the traditional clothing of countries she has visited and had those photos published widely."

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Optimus Subprime posted:

It wasn't a great look back then, despite the Clinton 2008 campaign eventually circling back and denying that they didn't put it out there. Clinton's 2008 campaign was a mess, so it makes it much more believable that they someone within it did link it to Matt Drudge.

That isn't proof, and later analysis are pretty clear that the Clinton campaign was pretty quick to internally shut dumb poo poo down.

But if you're going to go with "feelings" why would Obama bring her on board, give her a plum assignment, and then go all out on campaigning for her if he believed that was the case still?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Trabisnikof posted:

Reporters and the Obama campaign itself claiming in 2008 that the HRC campaign was behind it (which is actually the first portion of what BNGL just linked to).

There's never going to be a smoking gun with this. And it really doesn't matter given that the question was "how do you convince people that HRC isn't completely blameless in otherizing Obama?" You can't.

Optimus Subprime posted:

This doesn't help either.

FWIW: No, I don't think HRC personally knew about this or condoned it. Do I think it's more likely than not that some dipshit within her campaign sourced it? Yes, I absolutely do.

e: also Drudge is SERIOUSLY a terrible person and a liar and doxxed one of my coworkers once, so if he were the ONLY source of "yeah that's where it came from" I wouldn't believe it for a second.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Was Plouffe et al have said they don't think that was true, and Drudge isn't exactly a reliable source.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr Hootington posted:

mark cuban is a bad man who hates trump and isn't spineless

I like him on Shark Tank, other than being your typical rich douchebag who named a yacht after an Ayn Rand novel, is there anything particularly terrible about him?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

FairGame posted:

e: also Drudge is SERIOUSLY a terrible person and a liar and doxxed one of my coworkers once, so if he were the ONLY source of "yeah that's where it came from" I wouldn't believe it for a second.

He is the only source. The Obama campaign was running with that as their source.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Man I sure do love morning Arzying.

Anyone catch Trump on Oz or Oz's bj of Trump on the Daily Show? Trump thinks he looks like an amazing 35 year-old.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
CNN lady just compared Trump's campaign to "ghost campaigns" run by dictators in other countries

edit: and now compared to Saddam Hussein lol

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

a helpful bear posted:

CNN lady just compared Trump's campaign to "ghost campaigns" run by dictators in other countries

Oh God yes, more. I need more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

It's not based on feeling, I remember the 2008 campaign very clearly, especially when that picture resurfaced. Clinton's campaign did not immediately condemn it and tried to ride it for a news cycle before people called it out for clear racism. It was politics as Clinton doesn't believe any of the racist stuff about Obama, it was her campaign trying to create a wedge to garner votes.

• Locked thread