Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Life is meaningless please spend your free time doing whatever makes you happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: disconnected the battery for a bit, it actually starts and runs now and isn't throwing 20 codes. Hoping something just got fucky in the ECU from the assholes connecting the ECU while the battery was hooked up. :argh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 22, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Tusen Takk posted:

This is actually the right answer. Your life is only as meaningless as you make it for yourself. Now go out and climb a mountain or finish your project car or kill that last boss!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

MrChips posted:

This is actually the right answer. Your life is only as meaningless as you make it for yourself. Now go out and climb a mountain or finish your project car or kill that last boss!

I wasn't exactly friends with him, but killing my last boss just doesn't sound like it will make my life more meaningful...

:v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tusen Takk posted:

quote:

We humans are one among millions of separate species who live in a world burgeoning, overflowing with life. And yet, most species that ever were are no more. After flourishing for one hundred fifty million years, the dinosaurs became extinct. Every last one. No species is guaranteed its tenure on this planet. And humans, the first beings to devise the means for their own destruction, have been here for only several million years.

We are rare and precious because we are alive, because we can think. We are privileged to influence and perhaps control our future. We have an obligation to fight for life on Earth — not just for ourselves but for all those, humans and others, who came before us and to whom we are beholden, and for all those who, if we are wise enough, will come after. There is no cause more urgent than to survive to eliminate on a global basis the growing threats of nuclear war, environmental catastrophe, economic collapse and mass starvation. These problems were created by humans and can only be solved by humans. No social convention, no political system, no economic hypothesis, no religious dogma is more important.

The hard truth seems to be this: We live in a vast and awesome universe in which, daily, suns are made and worlds destroyed, where humanity clings to an obscure clod of rock. The significance of our lives and our fragile realm derives from our own wisdom and courage. We are the custodians of life’s meaning. We would prefer it to be otherwise, of course, but there is no compelling evidence for a cosmic Parent who will care for us and save us from ourselves. It is up to us.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 22, 2016

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

Trailing edge gaming is where it's at. My trigger price point is $20 or under, for console games. I don't have a ballsy PC or Mac, so I don't do too much PC gaming. Just really old stuff, or simple stuff.

Same here with a PS3. Just picked up Dirt3 for 13 bucks, and got the last MotoGP for around 20 bucks.

Hell I got the IntialD import super cheap too. I really don't see the need for upgrading to PS4 or to start PC gaming.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Dirt 3 is pretty good, but Dirt Rally is even better and a good reason to have a nice video card

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I just cooked ~10 pounds of bacon for a Sandwich Potluck tomorrow at work. Amazingly enough I didn't eat a single piece.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I call bollocks, not even a vegetarian anorexic Muslim during Ramadan could manage that.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This post is brought to you by an awful puppy who whined to go out for the last hour even though he probably didn't need to. I am letting his annoying rear end sit outside for a few minutes. Little poo poo has started up on this since my wife is out of town.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Dogs don't understand punishment very well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

The Locator posted:

In the past 6+ months I've played.. umm... maybe 15 battles in World of Tanks and.... yea, that's about it. Last time I really spent any time gaming was when Fallout 4 came out. Yet somehow I still keep my PC upgraded enough to be able to play the newest poo poo, which I never actually get. :shepspends:
I've been spending a lot of time on Fallout 4 in the last month or so. Played it a bit over Christmas last year but never bought it until recently. Picked up a used copy for cheap after girlfriend brought over her xbone and big rear end tv. Haven't played the sim in too long, need to fire that up and start running practice sessions or get in on a race series.

KozmoNaut posted:

Score another point for electronics dumpster diving! I just can abide by people throwing out perfectly functional non-broken things.
The amount of poo poo that is thrown away at our site is just stupid. Especially around this time of year when they're trying to burn through the remainder of the yearly budget and everyone gets new poo poo. Some will be donated but most is scrapped, I have some of the maintenance guys keeping an eye out for specific things for me.

Darchangel posted:

Trailing edge gaming is where it's at. My trigger price point is $20 or under, for console games. I don't have a ballsy PC or Mac, so I don't do too much PC gaming. Just really old stuff, or simple stuff.
This is what I've been doing as well. Wait for a steam sale or a used copy to pop up cheap at the local used game/book store then play it. By then most bugs are fixed. Can't remember the last game I bought right away. Last game I pre-ordered was spore...I learned my lesson there.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

leica posted:

Same here with a PS3. Just picked up Dirt3 for 13 bucks, and got the last MotoGP for around 20 bucks.

Hell I got the IntialD import super cheap too. I really don't see the need for upgrading to PS4 or to start PC gaming.

I have a decent gaming PC but I just rebought a PS3 so I can go back and play all the exclusives I missed, now at super low prices.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm internally debating whether I should keep my 360 or sell it. I haven't fired it up even once in like 6 months.

Between my sister and I, we have a couple of PS2s lying around somewhere, I should hook one up to my fancy new TV and delve into the massive amount of titles I never got around to playing, because I didn't have a PS2 back when it was hot poo poo. Bonus for being able to play PS1 games natively, too.

There's a local record/books/games store with monthly sales that start out at $12 per item, $100 for 10 and reduces the price every day until it's $1.50 each and like 50 for $15. They usually have a small selection of PS1 and PS2 games.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Last night a student was found dead in the restroom at the college branch where I teach. Today should be interesting.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

meatpimp posted:

Last night a student was found dead in the restroom at the college branch where I teach. Today should be interesting.

Want to confess something to us?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wrar posted:

This post is brought to you by an awful puppy who whined to go out for the last hour even though he probably didn't need to. I am letting his annoying rear end sit outside for a few minutes. Little poo poo has started up on this since my wife is out of town.

I've found that when my doggo does this it's because he wants something else and sitting by the door is the best way to get your attention

If I know he doesn't have to go potty then he is probbo thirsty, hungry, or wants to play

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

spog posted:

Want to confess something to us?

Sorry, I didn't have anything to do with it... I'm assuming it was an OD. Kinda interested to see if it was one of my students, though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

it is looking like my nav test trip will not involve a Hellcat now :(

instead it will involve a certain electronic vehicle that is v fast

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

I'm assuming it was an OD. Kinda interested to see if it was one of my students, though.

<insert trite Winston Churchill-inspired joke here>

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can build a SIQQQ RIG for fairly cheap that will blast the gently caress out of most games on the PC, but eh. I'm thinking about picking up a PS4 (Laff, I have a game on preorder for a console I don't own), but I can't recommend a 3DS or 2DS or a pair of 3DSeseses enough. The library is stupid huge, mostly cheap, and really good.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

3DS is really good and I'm considering getting a PS4 so I have a blueray player and a system to play with my brother when he comes over to drink

NHL 2017 is looking p cool

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just don't portable game. I'd rather play those games on a PC emulated or something. Tiny screens are for hawks for falcons or some poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wrar posted:

I just don't portable game. I'd rather play those games on a PC emulated or something. Tiny screens are for hawks for falcons or some poo poo.

The screens on the 3DS XL are 4.9" and 4.2", similar to a lot of smartphones.

Never had any eye strain due to small screens myself, though.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's not an eye strain problem. I don't smartphone game either. I just don't like tiny screens, and I like comfy chairs.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tusen Takk posted:

Just because it is called a bolt, doesn't mean it is fast.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

I just came from the Aero Insanity thread and i was very confused for a second.

"Okay, not a Hellcat but electronic, so what, Growler?"

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wrar posted:

It's not an eye strain problem. I don't smartphone game either. I just don't like tiny screens, and I like comfy chairs.

The only type of game I'll play on my smartphone are the goofy time-wasting puzzle games, and then only to kill time when I'm in a waiting room or something. There is no way I'd ever try to play any sort of action or 'real' game on my phone, screen is just too small.

I don't watch movies on my phone either, and don't really understand how anyone can get any enjoyment out of watching a movie on such a tiny screen.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The Locator posted:

I don't watch movies on my phone either, and don't really understand how anyone can get any enjoyment out of watching a movie on such a tiny screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
We're forty minutes into a computer architecture class, and the professor has done nothing but talk about Initial D and autocrossing his EG civic, and now he's starting to talk about getting high and listening to Pink Floyd when he first came to America. This is amazing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sinestro posted:

We're forty minutes into a computer architecture class, and the professor has done nothing but talk about Initial D and autocrossing his EG civic, and now he's starting to talk about getting high and listening to Pink Floyd when he first came to America. This is amazing.

Computer Architecture is an interesting class, I enjoyed it. Mine was taught by a Saudi guy who used to basically sprint out the door when we took a break halfway through the 2-hour class; he'd run outside and smoke half a clove cigarette, stub it out and come back inside to finish teaching the class. I chose him as my master's thesis advisor because he was easy-going and his work was close-ish to my topic, but I regretted it when he disappeared for a whole summer and didn't answer any emails.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sinestro posted:

My hardware-software interaction prof once gave an entire lecture on how to time a Volvo 122 by building your own timing gun.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Computer Architecture is an interesting class, I enjoyed it. Mine was taught by a Saudi guy who used to basically sprint out the door when we took a break halfway through the 2-hour class; he'd run outside and smoke half a clove cigarette, stub it out and come back inside to finish teaching the class. I chose him as my master's thesis advisor because he was easy-going and his work was close-ish to my topic, but I regretted it when he disappeared for a whole summer and didn't answer any emails.

It's not the first day, we're a few weeks in. I already know how to do everything that we've done so far, but I have no idea how someone who did stuff like going outside instead of reading computer books would be able to even pass this class, the assignments are not that easy and the lecture only rarely drifts over to the class material and there's no textbook or supplied readings.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Pham Nuwen posted:

A thesis advisor like that is why I only have one Master's degree, not two. If you're not going to loving answer your emails, why did you agree to be my advisor??!

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Phone posted:

You can build a SIQQQ RIG for fairly cheap that will blast the gently caress out of most games on the PC, but eh. I'm thinking about picking up a PS4 (Laff, I have a game on preorder for a console I don't own), but I can't recommend a 3DS or 2DS or a pair of 3DSeseses enough. The library is stupid huge, mostly cheap, and really good.

GT Sport? :v:

I picked up a 3DSLL last year and certainly did not regret it. The resolution is a little janky but the cheap games make up for it. I also bought a PS Vita to try that whole thing out too but something about the size and shape makes my hands hurt.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I just got notified that my end-of-year bonus will be deposited in my account on the 30th and that's it was adjusted - significantly - upwards due to my performance rating. Already planning completely-not-AI spends, like replacing the carpet in my new house with laminate flooring, and a tankless water heater.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sinestro posted:

It's not the first day, we're a few weeks in. I already know how to do everything that we've done so far, but I have no idea how someone who did stuff like going outside instead of reading computer books would be able to even pass this class, the assignments are not that easy and the lecture only rarely drifts over to the class material and there's no textbook or supplied readings.

My class was the same. The first test was about designing logic gates, the second was all about coding in assembly, and the last one was about memory mapping.

We covered very little of that in class, especially the assembly. It took a lot of time just staring at x86 documentation to figure anything out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Tusen Takk posted:

did someone say cat hell?

http://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2016/09/82-live-cats-5-dead-animals-seized-at-falls-church-home/

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My morfar (mothers father) died two days ago.

He had this hunting cabin/vacation home that he really loved. He'd show pictures of it all the time, and it was his little treasure. He was up there, alone, when he had breathing problems and chest pains. He called 911 himself and they sent an ambulance. Since the cabin was quite remote, it took the ambulance a good bit to get there, and when they arrived he was dead. Heart attack.

Now, on the one hand, he died being at his beloved cabin albeit not actually hunting at the very moment, so one could make a case for him "dying doing what he loved" so to speak.

On the other hand, I keep thinking about him, alone, possibly realising he's going to die. And that makes me sad.

And I don't know why I wrote this, but that's how the internet works I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My morfar (mothers father) died two days ago.

He had this hunting cabin/vacation home that he really loved. He'd show pictures of it all the time, and it was his little treasure. He was up there, alone, when he had breathing problems and chest pains. He called 911 himself and they sent an ambulance. Since the cabin was quite remote, it took the ambulance a good bit to get there, and when they arrived he was dead. Heart attack.

Now, on the one hand, he died being at his beloved cabin albeit not actually hunting at the very moment, so one could make a case for him "dying doing what he loved" so to speak.

On the other hand, I keep thinking about him, alone, possibly realising he's going to die. And that makes me sad.

And I don't know why I wrote this, but that's how the internet works I guess.

Lotta loss in AI this week.

My best friend from high school lost her husband and yesterday was the viewing. Dude was my age, lived a very similar life to me, was a wild gearhead and walked away from a half dozen wrecks while legally racing. They just had a kid 8 months ago. Literally thousands of people came to the viewing that they had to pull out a second guestbook. I'm feeling like, why am I still standing when this universally beloved man and father is gone.

• Locked thread