Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
You know he's going to be Matheny's go-to guy if they make the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

You know he's going to be Matheny's go-to guy if they make the playoffs.

I still trust him more than Leake, Garcia or Weaver and I feel more comfortable with him in a long series than Reyes based on the history of longevity. Martinez is the clear #1 but Matheny will probably go to Waino for any big game in the postseason and I will be so very sad.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
There's two Tebow stories on MLB.com's front page. How many people are drafting a, "How Tim Tebow Saved Baseball" story in this very thread for a decade down the road?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoeank posted:

Johnny Cueto had to leave the game early and was asked about it

https://twitter.com/AlexPavlovic/status/778477449394982912

I'm going to be so sad when he opts out to get $30 MM AAV

Maybe I'm misreading this tweet but Cueto has been great for them?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
He has been very good. He's also been hilarious. I think that's what Pavlovic means by that.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
The final WBC Qualifier is this weekend, featuring powerhouses Brazil, Pakistan, Great Britain, and Israel.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

The final WBC Qualifier is this weekend, featuring powerhouses Brazil, Pakistan, Great Britain, and Israel.

Got my tickets for Israel v GB tomorrow night!

CAN YOU FEEL THE IKE DAVIS EXCITEMENT?!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

N: Gary Sanchez. 19 homers in 45 games.

V: :swoon:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

N: Gary Sanchez. 19 homers in 45 games.

V: :swoon:

loving unicorn, I love it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Clay Buchholz looking good again is an unexpected treat.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
having moved to this part of the country I was super stoked to see Chris Sale pitch live

Super Stoked

wore my Sale shirtsey and everything

then DISASTER

I did run into Ranaudo's dad and ended up chatting with him for awhile, though, which was a special kind of awesome

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
After reading the tiebreaking scenarios, I think I want that 3-way tie for the NL wild card more than almost anything.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

loving unicorn, I love it.

He's handsome and perfect and him and Greg bird are going to be my friends forever.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's handsome and perfect and him and Greg bird are going to be my friends forever.

Just don't let him get a pilot's license.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Going camping this weekend, and in between chapters of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (which I love but it's difficult to read over long periods) I'd like to get a book about the Negro Leagues, or some sort of collection of baseball legend/apocrypha/old-timey stories. Any recommendations/essentials?

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The soul of baseball obviously comes to mind if you haven't already read that. Story of Buck O'Neil written by Joe Pos. Absolutely fantastic.

Only book I've read dealing with negro leagues so I'm not more help.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
I went to Jewel today for some fried chicken... I now have a box of RizzOs

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The Cardinals will see Arrieta/Hammel/Lester for the weekend series. Hendricks had his start bumped to Monday and after the Cardinals series Maddon plans to do 'scripted' games for the final two series with the Pirates and Reds.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spoeank posted:

He has been very good. He's also been hilarious. I think that's what Pavlovic means by that.

Oh okay I read it all wrong.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Retail Slave posted:

After reading the tiebreaking scenarios, I think I want that 3-way tie for the NL wild card more than almost anything.
Cubs fans should obviously be rooting hard for this

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

gently caress it I want a Dodger collapse that has LA and SF tied after 162 and need a play-in for the NL West, and then the loser of that has to go do the three way tie for the wild card

I wonder if they would push the NLDS back to accommodate that, or if it would be

Monday: NL West tiebreaker
Tuesday: NLWC tiebreaker G1
Wednesday: NLWC tiebreaker G2
Thursday: NLWC
Friday: NLDS G1

The Giants might have to go SF -> STL -> SF -> STL -> CHC in a 5 day period in that circumstance

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 22, 2016

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

CubsWoo posted:

gently caress it I want a Dodger collapse that has LA and SF tied after 162 and need a play-in for the NL West, and then the loser of that has to go do the three way tie for the wild card

I wonder if they would push the NLDS back to accommodate that, or if it would be

Sorry but the Dodgers' magic number is 5 with 10 left to play. They have 4 at home v COL then 3 @SD and 3@SF

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Sep 22, 2016

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

screaden posted:

Going camping this weekend, and in between chapters of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (which I love but it's difficult to read over long periods) I'd like to get a book about the Negro Leagues, or some sort of collection of baseball legend/apocrypha/old-timey stories. Any recommendations/essentials?

I've had Only The Ball Was White waiting on my shelf forever, so I can't technically recommend it. But it's pretty highly-rated, which is why I picked it up in the first place.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

CubsWoo posted:

The best part is for that to happen is the Giants and Dodgers close out the season. It's not going to happen but that's maximum chaos right there.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Sorry but the Dodgers' magic number is 5 with 10 left to play

Dodgers go 2-8 (only 2 wins vs. SFG) and the Giants, Cards and Mets all finish 8-2

Would mean LA hosts the NLW breaker and would have first pick of position for the 3-way breaker if they lose so you could need to go:

Sunday: @SF
Monday: NLW breaker @LAD
Tuesday: WC1 breaker @LAD
Wednesday: Day off (win Tue) OR WC2 breaker @Team C (if played Tue and lost)
Thursday: NLWC @LAD if won TUE or @WC1 winner if won Wednesday
Friday: NLDSG1 @CHC

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 22, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

The Cardinals will see Arrieta/Hammel/Lester for the weekend series. Hendricks had his start bumped to Monday and after the Cardinals series Maddon plans to do 'scripted' games for the final two series with the Pirates and Reds.

So am I missing something because that appears to set the rotation up as Lester/Hendricks/Lackey/Arrieta 1/2/3/4 for the playoffs. :confused:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Sorry folks, not going to happen. The Dodgers play the Giants head to head too much the rest of the way and SF is SHOOK

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

So am I missing something because that appears to set the rotation up as Lester/Hendricks/Lackey/Arrieta 1/2/3/4 for the playoffs. :confused:

Every game after Sunday will probably have the starter on a 5 inning hook/short pitch count plus you will probably have a few non-traditional starters and bullpen days peppered through those last 7 games. They'll have 4 days off between the last game and NLDSG1 so pretty much any rotation choice will be fully rested by then.

Given how the playoff roster will probably shake out Zastryzny likely isn't making the 25-man so he can start a game and you can probably cobble together another bullpen game with Cahill/Patton/Pena/Strop/Smith all throwing an inning or two.

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 22, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In that case I'll revise to say that I'm surprised Hendricks is the one getting rest and not Arrieta. He's is clearly gassed between his dropping velocity and non-existent command, and you'd think Maddon would jump at the chance to push his start back a few days.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Sydin posted:

In that case I'll revise to say that I'm surprised Hendricks is the one getting rest and not Arrieta. He's is clearly gassed between his dropping velocity and non-existent command, and you'd think Maddon would jump at the chance to push his start back a few days.

Maddon's on record as saying it would be unfair to the league to not put a fully competitive lineup against any team in close contention (so I guess being 3.5 out of the WC with 11 to go doesn't qualify right now) so Jake getting one more regular start and then probably a ~70 pitch game against the Pirates or Reds next week before a week off is rest enough.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The 3-way WC tie does introduce a strategy question: Teams are labeled A, B, C based on their tiebreakers. The three slots are:

- Team A hosts Monday, win and you're WC1, lose and you play Tuesday at Team C to determine WC2
- Team B plays at Team A Monday, win and you're WC1, lose and you play Tuesday at Team C to determine WC2
- Team C does not play Monday, and hosts the loser of A and B Tuesday to determine WC2

If you have first pick you obviously go with Team A. You host the first game and you're still alive after a loss. But if you're the second pick, which do you pick? If you're team B, you can potentially wrap up WC1 on Monday and you get a second chance if you lose, but you're also locked into two away games (in practical terms, the breakers fall STL/NYM/SFG right now so the Mets would be looking at a possible travel schedule of Game 162 @PHI Sun, Tiebreak 1 @STL Mon, Tiebreak 2 @SFG Tue, Wild Card @STL Wed.)

Or you can be Team C, get a day off Monday, host the second tiebreaker and bet it all with your ace probably going up against their #2 or #3 to get to the Wild Card Game.

I'm sure it would come down to pitcher availability and matchups but I can see strong arguments for both choices.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

There's no argument for playing a single game instead of 2.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

I just think he wants Lester to open the playoffs and then anybody could follow since they have 4 days off after the season ends. It gives Arrieta plenty of time to rest. If Hendricks ends up being the #2, that means his rest schedule would be the same as it has been ever since they switched to the 6 man rotation.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 22, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
edit: nevermind

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

bawfuls posted:

Cubs fans should obviously be rooting hard for this

You're right, we should, but I'd be rooting hard even if the Cubs weren't in the playoffs or if I were a fan of another team. I just want to see the crazy clusterfuck.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

http://mediadownloads.mlb.com/mlbam/mp4/2016/09/22/1180575683/1474511566800/asset_2500K.mp4

I'm assuming nobody talked about this because Braves fans have moved on to football and Mets fans all killed themselves after it happened

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Retail Slave posted:

You're right, we should, but I'd be rooting hard even if the Cubs weren't in the playoffs or if I were a fan of another team. I just want to see the crazy clusterfuck.

15 way 81-81 tie for all divisions and WC would be the best possible scenario IMO

I'm not sure if it's mathematically possible but the WS would be played in December if it was.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm assuming nobody talked about this because Braves fans have moved on to football and Mets fans all killed themselves after it happened

I caught this on replay and was in the middle of saying "How many loving games can the Mets walk off?" when he came back over the wall with the ball. Amazing.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

IcePhoenix posted:

:ghost: It's true. :ghost:

:rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeterianGiftBasket
Jul 9, 2016

#re2pect
I guess Ender Inciarte really lives up to his name, huh?

JeterianGiftBasket fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 22, 2016

• Locked thread