Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I mean, if you've only played RF3 and 4, sure. It's fine compared to any game older than it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Tides of Destiny is good, but only if you enjoy the dungeon-crawling portions of Rune Factory. The farming is barely there.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's Rune Factory's ten year anniversary, and Marvelous is promoting it with... uh... a 3DS theme, an eshop sale on Rune Factory 4, and Rune Factory costumes for Trio of Towns.

(In Japan, obviously)

There're also new events being added to Trio of Towns in the same patch as the costumes.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 6, 2016

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I've been playing A New Beginning, and I've finally unlocked the mine. I was really hoping for this:

Only to find out that it's just more glorified tree stumps. Now it seems I'm gonna have to spend a full month just pressing A in front of those stupid rock formations before I can make any meaningful progress. :cripes:

The game just feels like such a grind. Is there anything that's gonna change that?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

And More posted:

I've been playing A New Beginning, and I've finally unlocked the mine. I was really hoping for this:

Only to find out that it's just more glorified tree stumps. Now it seems I'm gonna have to spend a full month just pressing A in front of those stupid rock formations before I can make any meaningful progress. :cripes:

The game just feels like such a grind. Is there anything that's gonna change that?

Not really. ToTT and onwards in the series is a lot more chill about pacing. I think savescumming works for mining though if you really need those mats right away. But yeah, relax and build your town and farm to be as pretty as you want.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

And More posted:

lol wait until u see the mining in story of seasons

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I started a new SoS file and forgot about the mining which was arguably some of the worst HM mining I've ever experienced. I enjoyed Back to Nature/MFOMT a ton, probably two of my favourite in the series truthfully.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Allarion posted:

Not really. ToTT and onwards in the series is a lot more chill about pacing. I think savescumming works for mining though if you really need those mats right away. But yeah, relax and build your town and farm to be as pretty as you want.

yep, savescum. SoS supposedly has some mechanics to discourage savescumming, but it works just fine in ANB.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Allarion posted:

Sadly, it's really hard for me to relax in Harvest Moon because time passes so quickly. It's this constant race against the clock: I'm just picking flowers, and then - oh poo poo, it's almost nine, and my cow's gonna get stressed out, if I don't get her back to the barn on time. I'm just living on the edge of town, man. :clint:

Toriori posted:

I started a new SoS file and forgot about the mining which was arguably some of the worst HM mining I've ever experienced. I enjoyed Back to Nature/MFOMT a ton, probably two of my favourite in the series truthfully.

Figuring out how to get to the deeper levels of the mine is one of the best parts of the FOMT games. It's seriously almost better than the farming.

Blhue posted:

yep, savescum. SoS supposedly has some mechanics to discourage savescumming, but it works just fine in ANB.

Will do. Is there some way to get more small material stone? I'm pretty much covered when it comes to lumber, but there is a constant shortage of small stones because you can't buy them.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Blhue posted:

yep, savescum. SoS supposedly has some mechanics to discourage savescumming,

this is a lie, i savescummed the hell out of that mining node until the broken rng would periodically cough out like 4 adamantiams in a row or something

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ugggh and I thought the gold bottleneck was bad. At least that one shows up eventually in stores..after Fall 2nd year. :suicide:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

this convo is making me feel real good about my choice of magical melody as best in the series

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
In SoS is there really much of a difference with bait types? I have the basic rod since I just restarted but even using something like King Bait doesn't warrant much variety

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yasuhiro Wada, original creator of Bokujo Monogatari, is making a new PS4 game with Arc System Works tentatively titled "Birthdays": http://www.famitsu.com/news/201608/23112936.html

Basically, you cultivate/terraform the land so that the creatures of the world can thrive/evolve. More info after TGS.

Trailer! it seems to be more of a god game where you terraform the environment in order to mutate or evolve the flora and fauna:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THDsZKqyg_o

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Now old Harvest Moon is ripping off new Harvest Moon.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Turns out savescumming in A New Beginning works like a charm. I had to force the game to give me some silver and platinum, but it's all been smooth sailing after that. It still looks like I'm not gonna get god tier potatoes until year three, but at least they're getting there.

On a different note, the characters are really lame. Everyone's just different shades of boring. I thought it was weird that the only woman you get to hang out with at first is the socially awkward blacksmith. That was, however, before the soulless husk that is the tailor moved in. Charles from the Travel Agency is the only one who says interesting poo poo, and he didn't move in until spring of year two was almost over.

And then I walk in on the doctor telling the chef about his desire to stretch out Macaroni holes:

How come he never talks about messed up poo poo like that with me?

And More fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 18, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where do I go now that I've finished Rune Factory 4? I specifically liked the "tame a monster, collect it's drop, make it farm your wheat" aspect.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Turtlicious posted:

Where do I go now that I've finished Rune Factory 4? I specifically liked the "tame a monster, collect it's drop, make it farm your wheat" aspect.

Rune Factory 3.

Otherwise, you're outta luck till Marvelous resurrects the Rune Factory series

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
go to the game dev thread and make rune factory 5

edit: and adtrw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sorry but we don't have any disgruntled japanese fantasy farming game designers for you to hire

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

So, since the crops in A New Beginning are coming along nicely, I figured I'd try to get my cows and sheep up to snuff. Turns out getting them to max level requires me to hang out at the Animal Sanctuary, which requires me to put down the game for five minutes, and wait until the ingame day is over. I guess it's endgame content in the sense that I walk away from the game, get distracted by something more fulfilling, and don't ever play the game again. :crossarms:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

And More posted:

So, since the crops in A New Beginning are coming along nicely, I figured I'd try to get my cows and sheep up to snuff. Turns out getting them to max level requires me to hang out at the Animal Sanctuary, which requires me to put down the game for five minutes, and wait until the ingame day is over. I guess it's endgame content in the sense that I walk away from the game, get distracted by something more fulfilling, and don't ever play the game again. :crossarms:

I think you can just leave the sanctuary. Either way, the game gives you an hour just for sending them there, so sending them there 50 times will eventually get you that great quality milk.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Allarion posted:

I think you can just leave the sanctuary. Either way, the game gives you an hour just for sending them there, so sending them there 50 times will eventually get you that great quality milk.

The hours I spend there count towards those 50 hours, though, right? Leaving seems kind of pointless considering the game immediately ends that day. I might as well get it over with. :shrug:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

And More posted:

The hours I spend there count towards those 50 hours, though, right? Leaving seems kind of pointless considering the game immediately ends that day. I might as well get it over with. :shrug:

Yeah, you have to stay there to get those hours unfortunately. I'm not a fan of that mechanic since there's not much to do there. At least they slightly improved it in SoS by adding a mining node, and pond to fish in so you can kill time there while your animals are grazing.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mercifully they dropped that mechanic in Trio of Towns.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh good. Now if only they'll bring back actual mines instead of these lame mining nodes... Alternatively the Rune Factory team gets absorbed into SoS's team and we get all of RF's improvements, and Rune Factory 5!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Allarion posted:

Oh good. Now if only they'll bring back actual mines instead of these lame mining nodes... Alternatively the Rune Factory team gets absorbed into SoS's team and we get all of RF's improvements, and Rune Factory 5!

Is that even possible? I thought whoever made the RF games went bankrupt.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 24, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is that even possible? I thought whoever made the RF games went bankrupt.

They got absorbed by Marvelous, so it's possible they could pursue reviving Rune Factory. Rune Factory costumes were added into Trio of Towns on Rune Factory's anniversary, so they still remember it at least.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
If Nintendo really wanted my money day one then they would launch the NX with RF5 and a new Monster Hunter. That would carry my interest even more than a new Mario or The Zelder Scrolls.

I've been playing the hell out of Stardew Valley lately and I think it might have ruined me for the Harvest Moon/SoS games, but I think Rune Factory 4 kinda edges it out at times and RF5 would be kind of a must have unless Marvelous hosed it up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rune Factory 4 and Story of Seasons just got a permanent price drop to $30 in NA, and XSEED also announced a 3.5-inch capybara plush as a preorder bonus for Trio of Towns:

Also, if you have a PS4, go play the demo for Dragon Quest Builders, your new favourite farming game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a new Skytree Village trailer and release date, it'll be out November 8 in NA:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZd7ybKp3rU

RickDaedalus
Aug 2, 2009
Hey so I've been reading and re-reading the whole Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons split, and my tiny brain still cannot grasp the situation. Every time I think I do, I end up forgetting it an hour later.

Story of Seasons is the original Harvest moon by Marvelous that got a name change when they split from Natsume because they own the name for some bizarre reason.

Harvest Moon is now being made by Natsume, but is technically a new franchise since Natsume wasn't making them before.

Is that right? This has been bugging me all day.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

RickDaedalus posted:

Hey so I've been reading and re-reading the whole Harvest Moon and Story of Seasons split, and my tiny brain still cannot grasp the situation. Every time I think I do, I end up forgetting it an hour later.

Story of Seasons is the original Harvest moon by Marvelous that got a name change when they split from Natsume because they own the name for some bizarre reason.

Harvest Moon is now being made by Natsume, but is technically a new franchise since Natsume wasn't making them before.

Yes.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

RickDaedalus posted:

The franchise we know as Harvest Moon in the west is known as Bokujo Monogatari in Japan, and always has been known by that name.

Natsume, as the former publisher of Bokujo Monogatari in the US, has the rights to use the name Harvest Moon.

However, Marvelous is no longer working with Natsume, and so they cannot use the name Harvest Moon in the US; the new name in the west for Bokujo Monogatari is Story of Seasons.

Natsume has continued to release games called Harvest Moon with similar subject matter, but they are not part of the Bokujo Monogatari franchise.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The Harvest Moon timeline is the one where the Hero of Farming was defeated, while the Story of Seasons timeline is the one where they were victorious.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
and harvest moon is the timeline where every bachelorette in the village is descended from your grandpa

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

TurnipFritter posted:

The Harvest Moon timeline is the one where the Hero of Farming was defeated, while the Story of Seasons timeline is the one where they were victorious.

I like this.

And praise be that they have upgraded tools for Skytree Village. I always want lots of crops and the no upgrades + slow animations of the lost valley was awful. Farming game burnout made me pass on story of seasons, and while I am very interested in Skytree village I have Stardew Valley waiting for me to try and it just got a big update I heard.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Harvest Moon is dead to me. Long live Story of Seasons.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

PlushCow posted:

I like this.

And praise be that they have upgraded tools for Skytree Village. I always want lots of crops and the no upgrades + slow animations of the lost valley was awful. Farming game burnout made me pass on story of seasons, and while I am very interested in Skytree village I have Stardew Valley waiting for me to try and it just got a big update I heard.

Stardew Valley is no joke one of the best games this year. You should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Harvest Moon is dead to me. Long live Story of Seasons.

I think both are dead to me. Story of Seasons has more "soul" than the new Harvest Moon but both are inferior to Stardew Valley. Unless they catch up to their "copy" I'm not sure I'll have the patience to play them again.

• Locked thread