Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Rule of 3 in effect.

Hank Aaron's about due to croak....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Retail Slave posted:

Rule of 3 in effect.

Hank Aaron's about due to croak....

Well, I think it'd be from a different sport. A baseball player and a golfer already died, so maybe a football or basketball player is next. :ohdear:

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

:ohdear: that suit is going to be an awful mess

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Goodbye, Vin.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

TMMadman posted:

Well, I think it'd be from a different sport. A baseball player and a golfer already died, so maybe a football or basketball player is next. :ohdear:

Bill Russell hasn't looked good in recent years :( and if you want to go back a few weeks there was an Army football player who died in a car wreck.

Between Jose/Arnold/Vin Scully's Dodgers career/Les Miles LSU tenure, this is one of the worst days in the history of American sports.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
So like, I just have to keep living my life normally as if it's just totally fine and normal that Jose Fernandez is dead, is that right? Why can't there be a "guy who I watched throw a bunch of baseballs on TV" clause in my company's bereavement leave policy?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

TMMadman posted:

A CFL player was killed last night

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Red Red Blue posted:

Ahh, that would probably be it.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

So like, I just have to keep living my life normally as if it's just totally fine and normal that Jose Fernandez is dead, is that right? Why can't there be a "guy who I watched throw a bunch of baseballs on TV" clause in my company's bereavement leave policy?

This, but unironically.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Red Red Blue posted:

Yeah but A) Canadian football is weird and wrong, and B) nobody gives a poo poo about the CFL

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

WaryWarren posted:

This, but unironically.

You thought I was being ironic? I can't fall asleep, I've eaten half a breakfast platter all day (to be fair, part of the lack of appetite was being hung over, but still), and I need to be out the door in eight hours. I'm going to be a wreck tomorrow.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Can you take a sick day?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

IcePhoenix posted:

Can you take a sick day?

I can, and I am tempted, but our sick days and vacation days (edit for clarity) are one & the same, so I'm a bit conservative about using them. :patriot:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YeahTubaMike posted:

I can, and I am tempted, but our sick days and PTO are one & the same, so I'm a bit conservative about using them. :patriot:

well those aren't sick days then, they just make you use vacation (which sucks, I am sorry friend)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

YeahTubaMike posted:

I can, and I am tempted, but our sick days and PTO are one & the same, so I'm a bit conservative about using them. :patriot:

Mental health days are important though. I called in "sick" *cough* a day last week and it was fantastic.

Sure I wasn't sad or upset about anything other that really not loving wanting to set foot in that drat place for any reason that day.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

IcePhoenix posted:

well those aren't sick days then, they just make you use vacation (which sucks, I am sorry friend)

I make really good money, so don't be TOO sorry.

Retail Slave posted:

Mental health days are important though.

You're not wrong, but 1) I'd feel weird about doing that because I feel like I'm not supposed to care this much, and 2) maybe getting out of the apartment & doing some work will be a welcome distraction.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

YeahTubaMike posted:

I make really good money, so don't be TOO sorry.

You're not wrong, but 1) I'd feel weird about doing that because I feel like I'm not supposed to care this much, and 2) maybe getting out of the apartment & doing some work will be a welcome distraction.

So feel weird for a little bit, and then tell yourself that you work hard and it's ok to take a day now and then. I don't know what you do for a living, but I promise you that nobody will die or get hurt or the company will not go out of business because you won't be there tomorrow. Unless you're a surgeon who has a patient who needs a life-saving surgery. Then yeah. Go to work.

Drive out of town and have a day to do whatever. Just be far enough away to where there's no risk of bumping into anyone from work. Go see a movie or go for a run or a nice relaxing drive or whatever it is you like to do. Trust me, it'll do you a world of good.

Sometimes it's ok to take a (rare) day and say "gently caress it, I'm not dealing with work's bullshit today."

However, you know best. If going to work and not thinking about it will be best for you, then do that.

And yeah, people care about sports. A lot. I cried like a baby while watching Harry Caray's funeral. I'm not ashamed to admit it.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 26, 2016

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

YeahTubaMike posted:

You're not wrong, but 1) I'd feel weird about doing that because I feel like I'm not supposed to care this much

You are allowed to care this much. It's weird the things that hit you hard which you don't expect.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Retail Slave posted:

So feel weird for a little bit, and then tell yourself that you work hard and it's ok to take a day now and then. I don't know what you do for a living, but I promise you that nobody will die or get hurt or the company will not go out of business because you won't be there tomorrow.

Ugh, stop being right at me. :argh:

quote:

Just be far enough away to where there's no risk of bumping into anyone from work.

I live almost 20 miles away from my job, I should be fine as long as whatever I do is within walking distance. I'll figure something out. Thanks for the advice.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

He was a person and it is always cool to care about people

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/ScullyMinion/status/780257433650237440

:glomp:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
In other less depressing but still sad baseball news, the Twins have now lost 100 games this season.

Weren't the Twins projected to be somewhat decent this year or am I crazy? Maybe that was 2015.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.

Popete posted:

In other less depressing but still sad baseball news, the Twins have now lost 100 games this season.

Weren't the Twins projected to be somewhat decent this year or am I crazy? Maybe that was 2015.

They played over theirs heads last year, but anyone looking at the pitching staff knew it couldn't be maintained. The offense is legit, though, and that really started last year.

iKickDogs
Aug 31, 2001

Curtis Granderson hit a home run today. It was his 30th. He has 56 RBI.

If he doesn't drive in four more runs, he'll be the first player to hit 30 or more home runs while driving in fewer than 60 runs. The lowest RBI total for a player with at least 30 home runs is 64 (Rob Deer '92, Felix Mantilla '64).

It suits the 2016 Mets, who have set a team record for home runs in a season while having the third-lowest run total in baseball.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hi sorry to get to this so late but Jose Fernandez was one of my favorite players and was probably the most fun-loving dude on the mound every night and this is loving bullshit.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I woke up this morning and the first thing that came up on my Echo's news update thing was Jose Fernandez. I was still half-asleep and the only thing I could think of was "what the fuuuuck??" :( I might not be a Marlins fan but this still felt like a kick in the rear end. The only other thing that came to mind was this clip, which I'm surprised nobody has posted yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTIVEVYYUCQ&t=13s

I'm sure Jose would've liked it, he was a cool dude. :unsmith:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this fuckign sucks

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Gary & Keith couldent keep it together during the intro today.

https://twitter.com/Maine_Nitin/status/780095924731273218

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

davecrazy posted:

On one hand that's really touching and sweet.

On the other, I'm the director that kept it on keith the entire time as he was breaking up, slowly saying to himself "Yes... his pain... it's so beautiful..."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

davecrazy posted:

This and Keith crying on the phone in response to Gary Carter's death are maximum :smith: moments

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

He was a person and it is always cool to care about people

Agreed.

I took the day off, by the way. I think it's going to be a self-care "watching internet videos of kittens meowing/people falling down" kind of day. Thanks for not judging me, everybody. :unsmith:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Yesterday was a hell of a day. First the Fernandez news broke, then Scully got to call a walk-off in his final game, then David Ross hit a HR in his final regular season home game. Not all of those things are like the others but it was a roller coaster day.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Highlights from last nights game last regular season game at Wrigley.

-The moment of silence for Fernandez was jarringly quiet outside of some sudden deep chesty breaths. There was some kind of weird dust storm that kicked up inside wrigley right then from the look on everyone's face, but you could have heard a baseball drop into the infield grass it was so quiet.
-Someone hung up a Jose Fernandez jersey over the stairs from the Cubs dugout to the club-house.
-At one point after the Ross dinger, the big left-field screen camera was put on Ross sitting in the dug-out all misty-eyed. He looked up and said to the crowd either "Thank you Chicago" or "Thank you so much" and then got a bunch of towels thrown on him. When he came off the field for the last time, the guys had a box of kleenex waiting for him.
-The grounds crew getting to say thank you to the fans and sing the 7th inning stretch from the field - a yearly tradition on the last home game of the season.
-The still on-going debate on my Facebook whether Yadi called for the meatball that Ross mashed.

A large farva fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 26, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

SharkTattoos posted:

-The still on-going debate on whether Yadi called for the meatball that Ross mashed.

Hmm yes while a half game back in the wild card race let's call for a tiebreaking homer

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Poque posted:

Hmm yes while a half game back in the wild card race let's call for a tiebreaking homer

Obviously there is no way. I think it's a strange reaction to the realization that Yadi will be getting the same send-off in the not so distant future and also that conversation is on Facebook and not the press which I should have clarified.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

SharkTattoos posted:

-The still on-going debate on whether Yadi called for the meatball that Ross mashed.

Just how much did you drink last night?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

tadashi posted:

Yesterday was a hell of a day. First the Fernandez news broke, then Scully got to call a walk-off in his final game, then David Ross hit a HR in his final regular season home game. Not all of those things are like the others but it was a roller coaster day.

My big take away from yesterday was just how special it is to be able to end on your own terms.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

tadashi posted:

a roller coaster day.

Not quite as epic as the other things but in Toronto, this happened.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Mets destroyed the Phillies by a football score to keep pace in the wild card race. Going to be a fun week to end the season then lose a play in game or eventually get skull hosed by the Cubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Starting pitcher setup for a meaningless final 7 games before the NLDS:

Monday: Hendricks (v. Kuhl)
Tuesday: Lackey (v. Vogelsong)
Wednesday: Arrieta (v. Taillon)
Thursday: Zastryzny/bullpen day (v. Nova)
Friday: Hammel (TBA)
Saturday: Lester (TBA)
Sunday: Hendricks (TBA)

• Locked thread