Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Alchenar posted:

I swear the single best move Corbyn could make right now would be to sack Seamus and replace him with someone competent. That stunt with Lewis's speech not only plays to every story about how it's impossible to work in the shadow cabinet without being undermined but it puts trident back on the table in a speech that was supposed to settle the issue.

And it still managed to alienate the CND.

Has it even been a confirmed that this is a thing that even happened? All I've seen is one paper claim that he was notified by post-it note on stage, while ITV claims he was notified by text-message before going on stage. Neither of them have any sources to verify the speech was changed at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

radmonger posted:

No, the current zeitgeist is the center. That's what the words mean; if it was away from the center, it wouldn't be 'the' zeitgeist, just an opinion some right-wingers held.

Given that acknowledgement of basic mathematics

Get over yourself

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/79326/clive-lewis-trident-speech-changed-seumas-milne

has this supposed confirmation:

quote:

A spokesman for Mr Corbyn said: "All speeches are put together in conjunction with the leader's office. It was confirmed to Clive that the agreed speech had been amended on the autocue."

Mr Lewis is co-chairing a review of Labour'd defence policy with Shadow Foreign Secretary Emily Thornberry.

Both of them abstained when the Commons voted in July to go ahead with Trident renewal.

speaking of Thornberry, it looks like their game plan is multilateral disarmament:

quote:

"A future Labour government will not just revive talks on multilateral nuclear disarmament among the world’s great powers, we will make the success of those talks the test of our success on foreign policy," she told delegates in Liverpool.

The Islington MP added: "We all know how irresponsible it would be to ignore the problem of climate change, allow it to get worse, and leave our children and grand-children to worry about the consequences.

"So why don’t we say the same about nuclear weapons which have the power to destroy the world we live in within minutes, not just over decades?"

i.e. basically nothing that the CND wants. It's an NPT sort of commitment and bringing India and Pakistan on board will involve more rather than less nuclear tech, never mind the prickly problem of Israel and the totally unsolvable problem of post-2003 North Korea.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

ronya posted:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/79326/clive-lewis-trident-speech-changed-seumas-milne

has this supposed confirmation:

speaking of Thornberry, it looks like their game plan is multilateral disarmament:

i.e. basically nothing that the CND wants. It's an NPT sort of commitment and bringing India and Pakistan on board will involve more rather than less nuclear tech, never mind the prickly problem of Israel and the totally unsolvable problem of post-2003 North Korea.

So they're backing the nuclear deterrent, while at the same time making it clear that Corbyn would never authorise a strike, therefore making it useless.

So that pisses off the people that want a deterrent, and the people who don't.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
let's be real though, if it ever gets to the stage where corbyn has to refuse to use the nuclear weapons we're hosed anyway right, one assumes we would be firing them as a response, not a first strike, therefore it would be a retaliatory strike and we'll all be dead anyway.

well you stupid cunts who still live in the UK (RIP) at any rate.

it's such a stupid loving argument, no-one is going to use nuclear weapons. and corbyn saying he won't use them isn't going to cause russia or china to be like "ah ha now's our chance to nuke the UK"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

UK missile subs can launch at any time anyway, it's not like the PM has anything other than nominal control over them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

OwlFancier posted:

UK missile subs can launch at any time anyway, it's not like the PM has anything other than nominal control over them.

The point has always been that the Trident subs alongside the nuclear deterrent carry a number of normal missiles. Alongside Nato this provides a massive strategic advantage for non-nuclear warfare since (I think) Nato can hit anywhere in the world inside 5 minutes. There is a legitimate argument for maintaining Trident whilst also never firing a nuke.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

JFairfax posted:

it's such a stupid loving argument, no-one is going to use nuclear weapons. and corbyn saying he won't use them isn't going to cause russia or china to be like "ah ha now's our chance to nuke the UK"

So why is he okay with the money being spent on a system which he will never use?

The answer, of course, is to placate the unions.

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The point has always been that the Trident subs alongside the nuclear deterrent carry a number of normal missiles.

I've never heard that before, source?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I shared a taxi with John McDonnell and Seb Corbyn last night!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Plucky Brit posted:

So why is he okay with the money being spent on a system which he will never use?

no other Prime Minister has used Trident

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

JFairfax posted:

no other Prime Minister has used Trident

I phrased the question poorly.

I'll have another go: Why is he okay with the money being spent on a weapons system which he has explicitly said he will never authorise the use of?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The point has always been that the Trident subs alongside the nuclear deterrent carry a number of normal missiles. Alongside Nato this provides a massive strategic advantage for non-nuclear warfare since (I think) Nato can hit anywhere in the world inside 5 minutes. There is a legitimate argument for maintaining Trident whilst also never firing a nuke.
As far as I am aware (and as far as wikipedia is aware too...), this is not at all true - their only armament is torpedoes for shooting at other subs, and trident missiles for initiating Judgement Day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yorkshire Tea posted:

That seems a bit odd given that non-nuclear ICBMs seem like a very bad idea.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

OwlFancier posted:

That seems a bit odd given that non-nuclear ICBMs seem like a very bad idea.

Maybe they could paint a sign on the side: "Not carrying nuclear weapons, honest!"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

First I've heard of it.

Bit dumb to put conventional missiles on a sub that's supposed to be your ninja "could cause Armageddon from anywhere" nuclear deterrent. As soon as they used them, their location wouldn't be a loving secret any more.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't really see a problem with defence spending to placate defence workers and the wider, murder-happy electorate.

I would greatly prefer abolishing most of the armed forces but it would never fly in an election.

tooterfish posted:

First I've heard of it.

Bit dumb to put conventional missiles on a sub that's supposed to be your ninja "could cause Armageddon from anywhere" nuclear deterrent. As soon as they used them, their location wouldn't be a loving secret any more.

The greater issue is that firing an ICBM will immediately trip every nuclear missile detection system, and they won't assume it's not loaded with nuclear weapons.

The submarine can move after firing but it can't stop other people from assuming you just started world war 3.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Plucky Brit posted:

I phrased the question poorly.

I'll have another go: Why is he okay with the money being spent on a weapons system which he has explicitly said he will never authorise the use of?

trident has never been used and is likely to never be used by anyone ever.

if it does get used the UK is dead already.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Also nuclear ICMBs don't have the courtesy to announce themselves, so suddenly firing missiles from a sub without warning is a great plan to start the apocalypse.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

What the gently caress was Milne / Corbyn thinking changing the speech like that at the last minute?

Terrible, terrible PR which overshadows most of the conference.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why are speech revisions something the press is privy to?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Plucky Brit posted:

It's actually because the party agreed at conference last year to replacing the nuclear deterrent.

I won't disagree that it's bad politics to outright say he'll never use them when it hardly needed to be stated, but on the whole it's a wise compromise to make, even if I agree with Jeremy that it's both an abhorrent weapon that can never be used & an obscene waste of money. But if it's the price to pay to keep Labour united and in a position to win the next election then so be it.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
no-one gives a flying gently caress about party confernces or the speeches at them, especially as tomorrows news will be dominated by the Trump / Clinton debate because no doubt some loving ridiculous poo poo will be said.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Imo the most evil option for the pms trident letter is the one where they give command to the sub commander

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Why are speech revisions something the press is privy to?

Press generally get shown advance copies of speeches so they can publish the story as soon as the speech happens. Especially in this day and age.

Anyway, whoever was saying Milne should be replaced with someone competent is on to something. Except for the obvious question. "Who has the experience and attributes for the role while also being close enough to Jeremy's politics?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Plucky Brit posted:

So they're backing the nuclear deterrent, while at the same time making it clear that Corbyn would never authorise a strike, therefore making it useless.

So that pisses off the people that want a deterrent, and the people who don't.

The next general election campaign is going to be an utter bloodbath. The posters just write themselves.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The greater issue is that firing an ICBM will immediately trip every nuclear missile detection system, and they won't assume it's not loaded with nuclear weapons.

The submarine can move after firing but it can't stop other people from assuming you just started world war 3.
If you're using them against a non-nuclear country, you could inform all the nuclear countries in advance to keep an eye on its trajectory, while being broad enough that the actual strike target within the non-nuclear country is unknown. There were plans to use Trident II in this way with tungsten rods.

If you're using them against a nuclear country, you're already making several unprecedented and probably unwise strategic decisions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If they didn't I'm sure the tories could just make some things up or just photograph people until they get a stupid looking one.

As if the UK populace gives a shite about substance.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
let's nuke middlesbrough

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Are you conflating the conversion of some of the US's Los Angeles-class subs from ICBMs to cruise missiles following SALT II? Because none of them carry a mix. It's either strategic missiles or not.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsokGIeQFFI

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JFairfax posted:

let's nuke middlesbrough

Oi.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

forkboy84 posted:

Press generally get shown advance copies of speeches so they can publish the story as soon as the speech happens. Especially in this day and age.

Anyway, whoever was saying Milne should be replaced with someone competent is on to something. Except for the obvious question. "Who has the experience and attributes for the role while also being close enough to Jeremy's politics?

You don't need the last bit. You just need a professional willing to work for money for the top job. Underneath him you fill out an organisation of people with the right views but who lack experience and over time things sort themselves out.

e: as a friend has just pointed out, the other shambles is that the position on whether there will be a reshuffle has changed about six times progressively from 'imminently' to 'after a special NEC conference in November'. The first thing anyone knows about political communication strategy is that you don't breath a word about a reshuffle until the thing has actually started.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 26, 2016

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

JFairfax posted:

let's nuke middlesbrough

I like OwlFancier though

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Miftan posted:

I like OwlFancier though

it's a tough decision and unfortunately there will be some collateral damage but ultimately it is a price worth paying to demonstrate to the world that we are willing to use Trident

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

JFairfax posted:

it's a tough decision and unfortunately there will be some collateral damage but ultimately it is a price worth paying to demonstrate to the world that we are willing to use Trident

I was against this idea but this sort of tough decision is the type of thing that wins over people with opposing views. You've got my vote, JFairfax!

OwlFancier, you need a place to crash?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not going anywhere further south than York, I've heard funny things about what goes on down there.

It's full of scroungers who don't work and live off other people's hard earned money.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not going anywhere further south than York, I've heard funny things about what goes on down there.

London must be like Vegas for you.
Funnily enough, we hear funny things about what goes on up there, though it could just be your accents.

kapparomeo
Apr 19, 2011

Some say his extreme-right links are clearly known, even in the fascist capitalist imperialist Murdochist press...

LemonDrizzle posted:

As far as I am aware (and as far as wikipedia is aware too...), this is not at all true - their only armament is torpedoes for shooting at other subs, and trident missiles for initiating Judgement Day.

This isn't the case - Royal Navy submarines are equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles and have fired them mutliple times operationally from Kosovo to Libya.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

London must be like Vegas for you.
Funnily enough, we hear funny things about what goes on up there, though it could just be your accents.

I've never actually been, I've literally never been further south than York in my adult life, and only once to Bath when I was a kid and once to Somerset.

kapparomeo posted:

This isn't the case - Royal Navy submarines are equipped with Tomahawk cruise missiles and have fired them mutliple times operationally from Kosovo to Libya.

RN attack submarines are, nuclear attack submarine doesn't mean submarine armed with nuclear missiles, it means nuclear powered submarine designed for attacking things conventionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

kapparomeo posted:

That's in Astute, which is a fleet submarine not the nuke carrying submarine (which is Vanguard).

e: The Vanguard replacement will be a new sub as well.

• Locked thread