Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

quote:

Among white voters the debate was basically a draw with Trump coming out ahead 47/45.

:wtc: white people what is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

How long until KellyAnn refutes he said this, or that CBS had a poll and she really saw it?

Also, how the gently caress are people saying Trump won the first 20 minutes? He was off and in the weeds with his opening statement and from then on Hillz had him scrambling with the poor little rich kid stuff.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

nachos posted:

:wtc: white people what is wrong with you

Those are the Trump supporters. Considering he's winning white people by a decent margin, that means a fair number of his supporters also thought he lost, actually.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Who's surprised?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

emdash posted:

Also he says his "nasty attack" was going to be about bill's womanizing. Somehow I don't think that's gonna work out the way he thinks

I love how he says that like he wants some kind of reward for not being as sleazy as he could have been.

And yeah, that attack would have backfired tremendously on him if he had tried it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe white people really like angry white men.

I mean it can't be the bigotry, because liberals are the true bigots.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Iron Lung posted:

Also, how the gently caress are people saying Trump won the first 20 minutes? He was off and in the weeds with his opening statement and from then on Hillz had him scrambling with the poor little rich kid stuff.

Yeah I don't get this. I guess "analysts" want to maintain some appearance of balance so they just award him everything up to his first truly egregious mistake but honestly nothing he said made any sense from the get-go.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

edrith posted:

Donald, please bring up Bill's womanizing. Hillary hasn't been forming needle-sharp responses to that in her head every day for the best part of three decades that she dearly wishes she could fire off on a national platform, no sir. It'll be fine. Bring it up. :unsmigghh:

Yeah, if Trump thinks attacking her marriage is a winning strategy he is one dumb mother fucker.

That has to be the one topic she is completely prepared to bend him over and go to town on him.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Could it be that... the kids are alright? :unsmith:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hodgepodge posted:

I think they periodically just need a reminder she's not an evil e-mail golem and that he's, you know, Donald loving Trump. My hope is seeing them on stage together reminds some people that no, no! This is not okay! He's not okay!

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Xae posted:

Yeah, if Trump thinks attacking her marriage is a winning strategy he is one dumb mother fucker.

50/50 odds that, if he ever does go down this road, the angle will be "Hillary wasn't able to satisfy her man" because Trump is that insanely stupid and sexist.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Iron Lung posted:

How long until KellyAnn refutes he said this, or that CBS had a poll and she really saw it?

It was his usual word salad but in the first 20 minutes he did land a couple of blows on trade. True or not, Trump's rhetoric about bad trade deals is one line of attack that can work against Hillary and at the beginning it looked like he was going to press that, but then she started deflecting the attacks much better while he fell apart. If you only watched the beginning of the debate I can see how you would think Trump edged it or it was roughly even. If you watch the entire thing and see him melt down in real time it's no contest.

Also just remembered another excellent Hillary moment, when Lester Holt asked her if she thinks police are inherently racially biased and she masterfully deflected it into a "to be honest Lester I think every single one of us is racially biased to some extent and that's something we need to work on as a society" answer.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Hodgepodge posted:

Upon actually experiencing Clinton and hearing her explain her policies and platform, rather than Breitbart or USUncut's bastardization of it, it turns out that young people do like Hillary.

Who'da thunk?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

vyelkin posted:

Also just remembered another excellent Hillary moment, when Lester Holt asked her if she thinks police are inherently racially biased and she masterfully deflected it into a "to be honest Lester I think every single one of us is racially biased to some extent and that's something we need to work on as a society" answer.

Yeah, this was quite masterful since it's satisfactory to many minority voters because even getting white people to admit that racism exists is like pulling teeth, while being relatively inoffensive to white people since the implication is "minorities are racist too."

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
If Trump can't let it go this Alicia Machado poo poo is going to be Khizr Khan part 2

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

lozzle posted:

Honestly I think that might go down as the most one-sided rear end-kicking in Presidential debate history.

Yes, even moreso than Romney v. Obama 1 or Kennedy v. Nixon.

Trump self-immolated very early on and then just kept pouring gasoline on himself.

Hillary could probably base 3 or 4 different attack ads on soundbytes from this debate alone.

"small loan of $14 million" (the way he started his business)
"that's called business" (said of the housing market collapse and millions of Americans losing their homes)
"that's smart/the federal government would waste it anyways" (said of him not paying federal income tax)
"he didn't do a good job" (said of an architect Trump didn't pay, but whose blueprint he went ahead and used anyways)
"she deserved it" (said in defense of his attacks on Rosie O'Donnell) (bonus points: he was the one to bring up Rosie O'Donnell)

That's without getting into his advocating for Actual War Crimes re: stealing Iraq's oil, or his mobster "pay for your protection" stance on defending NATO allies, or his "China should have invaded (nuked?) North Korea" tangent. Or his tripling down on the birtherism stuff. Or doubling down on stop-and-frisk, and insisting it was not unconstitutional, but instead only found unconstitutional by a "very against police judge."

I get the feeling that a lot of Trump's interjections are the things he repeats in his head all the time to justify the odious things he does. He then blurted them out when called on his actions, because he's hopelessly unused to people challenging him in person and he's got a dead short between his tiny brain and his tiny mouth.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Do kids even watch TV anymore? I thought the new millennial e-peen was "I don't even have cable. :smug:"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
As a black dude, who also understands how politicians have to code and say things That racial bias answer was loving golden

She backdoored her way into saying yes police are biased against black people but didn't actually give the sound byte that could be used against her. And still got to say that police need to under go racial bias training.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

nachos posted:

If Trump can't let it go

I have some good news about Trump!

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
And, here's the predictable dumbass response from my low information voter facebook friends (white, 50s, live in racially segregated south):

quote:

Anyone who pays one cent more than they owe in taxes is a fool. How one contributes to charity is for them to decide. Anyone who ever followed the apprentice can attest to the millions of dollars were donated. It was, his purpose of the show.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

fits my needs posted:

Do kids even watch TV anymore? I thought the new millennial e-peen was "I don't even have cable. :smug:"

who even needs cable when you have illegal streaming sites or your parents' Time Warner Cable login information

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

torgeaux posted:

And, here's the predictable dumbass response from my low information voter facebook friends (white, 50s, live in racially segregated south):

Hit em up with some of Warren Buffett's thinking on the issue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffett_Rule

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

fits my needs posted:

Close to a million people were watching the YouTube stream.

lozzle posted:

Yeah, this was quite masterful since it's satisfactory to many minority voters because even getting white people to admit that racism exists is like pulling teeth, while being relatively inoffensive to white people since the implication is "minorities are racist too."

One of the post debate commentators (also a black woman) on MSNBC was thrilled that Hillary brought up systemic racism, since it almost never gets talked about.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 205 days!

Dexo posted:

As a black dude, who also understands how politicians have to code and say things That racial bias answer was loving golden

She backdoored her way into saying yes police are biased against black people but didn't actually give the sound byte that could be used against her. And still got to say that police need to under go racial bias training.

People can call it triangulation if they like, but I don't envy her having to walk a tightrope between acknowledging the actual problems of racism without scaring white too many white people.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't get complaining about he trade deficit

We're sending over pieces of paper and getting actual useful poo poo in return

You can't eat a dollar

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

KiteAuraan posted:

Welp, I had gone from ambivalent about Hillary but still voting, to slightly hyped to vote because of her policies, especially on Autism, to I Literally Cannot Wait to Vote For Her, Hurry Up Mail-In Ballot and Get Here Already. So, hopefully she hit other "meh" voters the same.
If Autism Speaks doesn't contact me back a week after making my case for self-autism advocacy in New England, what should I do?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

torgeaux posted:

tell them that no, it wasn't that he didn't pay enough taxes, it's that he didn't pay any taxes

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Meanwhile, at a Murdoch owned Australian paper near you:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You can't eat a dollar

But :supaburn: $20 trillion of debt :supaburn:.

The debt is the biggest non-starter. People don't actually care about it, they just like to use it as a way to seem serious about why we need to cut poo poo. It's too big a number to conceptualize and it doesn't actually affect anyone personally.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Dexo posted:

Yeah that was pretty sweet answer.

quote:

Lester, I think implicit bias is a problem for everyone. Not just police. I think unfortunately too many of us in our great country, um, jump to conclusions about each other. And therefore I think we need all of us to be asking ourselves hard questions about, you know, why am I feeling this way.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

You can't eat a dollar

The only people who complain about that trade deficit are people who don't know what a trade deficit is and assume it must be analogous to a budget deficit (which they also don't understand).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hodgepodge posted:

People can call it triangulation if they like, but I don't envy her having to walk a tightrope between acknowledging the actual problems of racism without scaring white too many white people.

This isn't at all intended to take away from Clinton, but I can't imagine that it's been any easier for Obama, either.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Close to a million people were watching the YouTube stream.

One of the post debate commentators (also a black woman) on MSNBC was thrilled that Hillary brought up systemic racism, since it almost never gets talked about.

Was it Joy Reid? I love her. Everyone should be watching AM Joy. She was fact checking Trump's surrogates and calling them out back when almost no one was.

I'll never forget her cackling with glee when they called Trump's pivot attempt "The softening"

Omg or when one of them tried to say Jesse Jackson supported Trump and she was like "Can we get Mr Jackson on the phone?" And she did. :allears:

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 27, 2016

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

gradenko_2000 posted:

This isn't at all intended to take away from Clinton, but I can't imagine that it's been any easier for Obama, either.

No doubt it's been even harder for Obama. Any serious attempt by him to address racism risks him getting labeled an "angry black man." You would think he'd have more credibility as somebody who has actually faced racial discrimination, but he's also inherently more threatening to white people. It's pretty hosed up.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

fits my needs posted:

Crazy true story: Information can be found on the internet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

smg77 posted:

I'm still arzying because I don't know how Team Abuela can top the blood red pantsuit for the next debate.

Literal Captain Janeway cosplay, obviously. That's clearly Hildawg's aesthetic.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Two things worth noting:

1) Holt did a great job and this is about as agfressive as you can expect to see from a moderator. As it was he probably overextended because the debate people told him to do nothing, but instead he called out a few egregious things. Hopefully this becomes the approach going forward

2) debates are not the place for nitty gritty policy details, especially not against Trump who will use it as a springboard to call you a boring establishment out of touch shill. If you want policy, watch her smaller rallies when they're on TV or local or check out her statements and pressers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

FactsAreUseless posted:

Crazy true story: Information can be found on the internet.

Next you'll tell me they livestream Presidential debates on the internet.

That'll be the day.

• Locked thread