Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
I can't believe someone figured out a surefire way to win Survivor in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Here's why Hannah voted as she did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTunm5kjy9A

James315
Dec 17, 2006

315 [Mp 40] everyone
From the Michelle interview:

quote:

Gordon Holmes: First thing is first; how do you study dragons? They don’t exist.
Michelle Schubert: Oh my gosh, draw a quick picture of a dinosaur.
Holmes: Hold on. OK... done.
Schubert: Now draw wings.
Holmes: (Laughs) I see what you’re getting at.
Schubert: (Laughs) The word “dinosaur” was actually coined in 1852. What do you think people called them before that?
Holmes: This feels like a technicality.
Schubert: They called them dragons!
Holmes: Mind blown.
Schubert: Right? (Laughs) Marco Polo, who we learned about in school wrote about dragons. Take out that fantastical, mythical idea of them flying around like “Game of Thrones.” But really we have hundreds of accounts of dragons. Sometimes fire breathing, or at least they shoot sparks out of their nose or something. All of them said they were birthed with eggs. Normally a myth is, like, the gods threw a magical baby onto a rock and it shattered into a thousand dragons. But no, dragons always say that they’re born from eggs, and they live in swamps, and they eat large livestock.
Holmes: You take that kind of persuasive reasoning into this game and you’re a millionaire.
Schubert: (Laughs)
"There are dragons, Hannah. Trust me, I'll explain later."

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I do not care for Figgy or how Michelle wore her buff at tribal. :colbert:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DaisyDanger posted:

I do not care for Figgy or how Michelle wore her buff at tribal. :colbert:

I didn't notice how Michelle wore her buff, but I was getting really confused by the Millennial tribe being called "VANUA". I thought all their buffs were recycled Vanuatu ones that somehow went unnoticed.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.

Poque posted:

I didn't notice how Michelle wore her buff, but I was getting really confused by the Millennial tribe being called "VANUA". I thought all their buffs were recycled Vanuatu ones that somehow went unnoticed.

She knotted one end and wore it like a very loose beanie that was falling off the side of her head. And you're not alone- I keep thinking of Vanuatu whenever I see their tribe name, too!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Propaganda Machine posted:

Now that I think of it, it's kind of ironic that Mari got taken out by the Triforce.

:drat:

The Quadforce is the most divided I've ever felt about an alliance cause Taylor and Figgy are literally the worst but Jay impressed me here and Michelle is awesome but even so I'm still really mad that they won this one. Still, if they ride the showmance for a while then they can turn on it and that momentum will carry them through to the end.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm mildly amused that Michelle appears to be deliberately using her religion to get people to trust her and then be a snake. Like, if she's unaware she's doing it or denies it then I'll dislike her but I get the sense that she's actually just totally deliberately going "Lets pray together... now do what I say, trust me, you prayed with me."

But she's a "missionary" so her job is basically to sell religion. So I'm going with "snake" for now.

I'm also completely intrigued by the mindset of Michaela to pick a fight in Tribal Council with the tribe mate who she was saving with a vote flip. That's just so weird and opens up all kinds of chaotic possibilities.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Michelle, breaking new ground in buff accessorizing:

But wait there's more

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
Michaela wasn't a flip vote, she's allied with Michelle and Jay, we just didn't see any of those scenes. If she had voted against Figgy, then she'd have been flipping. Similar to how we have no idea why she and Figgy are fighting. Just normal editing bullshit. Michelle recruited Hannah because she could and she was legitimately worried about Michaela flipping. Will was rock solid, which I sort of sensed when they were talking on the beach. Zeke didn't spill the beans on anything, he was on the outside already.

Obviously I'm guessing a bit, but that seems to be the only way to look at it without 3 or 4 people being complete idiots. I don't think the Quadforce is all that strong in reality, the real power players (as this thread have identified) are Michelle and Jay, with Mari being the power player on the other side (thus she was the target).

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I'm mildly amused that Michelle appears to be deliberately using her religion to get people to trust her and then be a snake. Like, if she's unaware she's doing it or denies it then I'll dislike her but I get the sense that she's actually just totally deliberately going "Lets pray together... now do what I say, trust me, you prayed with me."
The secret scene didn't really play out like that to me. Hannah isn't religious, so it's not like Michelle is trying to manipulate her through religion. It looks more like Michelle is genuine, and Hannah is going along with it both for a new experience and to be agreeable, which is almost like Hannah is the one playing Michelle, except that really I think a moment like that (and other non-religious ones I'm sure they've shared) bond in both directions.

Milovan Drecun posted:

Michaela wasn't a flip vote, she's allied with Michelle and Jay, we just didn't see any of those scenes. If she had voted against Figgy, then she'd have been flipping. Similar to how we have no idea why she and Figgy are fighting.
No idea? They were obviously fighting because Michaela heard them kissing and was like What the gently caress. The assumption that Michaela was allied with them is obviously your speculation which is fine, my speculation is that Michaela really didn't have anyone but hearing the Zeke group had her next on their list pushed her into her enemy's arms.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Michelle flat out said she wasn't sure if they had the numbers and they said they had to "flip" or "secure" Will and Michaela, and she seemed to rope in Hannah there at the end for insurance. So that still seems like a "flip." It was a soft flip because Zeek, Mari, and Co seemed a little over confident and careless about their numbers like they were just counting on the common sense argument of "break up the showmance" to do all the work, but from what we saw they still all intended to vote out Figgy. Even Jay seemed resigned to it until he told Michelle and she put her foot down and flipped the soft votes.

I'm perfectly willing to assume that (a) Michaela generally got along better with the young kids who wanted Mari out than the "older" ones who were pushing for Figgy to go and (b) Jay telling her that the "older" ones were targeting her next cemented that affiliation. I think that vote kind of just came down to a little mini-age battle in the tribe. The people who wanted Figgy out were generally the older and more mature ones and the people who "flipped" were the younger/less mature ones who seem more likely to be drawn in by "the cool crowd" or simply just feel more at ease with the younger half of the tribe.

I mean, its guess work since its so early and we know so little, but that's what it looked like to me.

I'm still kind of intrigued by Michaela effectively calling out Figgy in the middle of Council when she knew there was about to be a contested vote where she was taking Figgy's side. That's just weird.

Fast Luck posted:

The secret scene didn't really play out like that to me. Hannah isn't religious, so it's not like Michelle is trying to manipulate her through religion. It looks more like Michelle is genuine, and Hannah is going along with it both for a new experience and to be agreeable, which is almost like Hannah is the one playing Michelle, except that really I think a moment like that (and other non-religious ones I'm sure they've shared) bond in both directions.

My impression was that Hannah went "Michelle is religious and nice, and that makes me think I can trust her" and Michelle is saying "I'm religious and nice so people think they can trust me." Its not like she's faking religion or swearing on a Bible to lie, its just that she seemed to build trust with Hannah based on the religion thing and then used that to flip Hannah with an "IOU" on why. If that's deliberate than I'm kind of impressed. If its just flailing at things than I'm less so. Only time will tell.

But also, it wouldn't work if Michelle wasn't playing a solid social game and just building trust in general, so its not like I'm accusing her of being a snake oil salesman. It just seemed like part of the equation, or at least what the editing wanted us to think was part of the equation.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 29, 2016

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Watching through the bonus confessionals so you don't have to.

Adam: White noise about challenges and camp life. Only gem is "I know someone has lied to me and that's who I'm voting for at tribal." He voted for Figgy.

Figgy: Gives a white noise confessional about losing the challenge. "My name is on the chopping block because I'm a leader."

Hannah: Wanted to participate in the challenge but other players were pretty insistent on participating and she didn't want to cause a fuss. Reflects on why Tasha didn't flip on Jeremy, or why Woo didn't flip on Tony and examines her own game.

Jay: Purposefully poked Michaela to instigate bigger fight with Figgy.

Mari: Challenge hard. Weather annoying. Losing a challenge like, totally sucks, man.

Michaela: "If you lie to me and I find a use for you then I'll keep you around. But the moment you are not useful I'll dispose of you and that's what I'll do with Figgy. I know who I want to the end. I know who I trust. So everyone else, we're playing chess together."

Michelle: Knows she has to seem like she's on everybody's side.

Taylor: Doesn't think the tribe is worried about him being part of a power couple. "If it works, I own this island... we own this island."

Will: Thinks voting out Figgy is only helpful in the short-term and voting out Mari is helpful in the long-term. "Mari doesn't talk strategy to anybody and she's too likable."

Zeke: Throws shade on Taylor over his showmance with Figgy. Aware that Figgy and Taylor think they're in control of the game.

~~~

Bret: Talks about what led up to Peter's episode. Doesn't want Paul to leave.

CeCe: Worked out an alliance with Ken, David, and Lucy. They're looking for a fifth member and CeCe wants Paul. (contrast with Chris)

Chris: Concerned Paul would go home which is bad for his game (contrast with CeCe)

David: Tells how he found the idol. Basically says exactly what we saw on TV. "Coconuts don't grow with paint on them." "If I sniff the least little bit that I'm going home I'm going to play the idol."

Jessica: Happy to win a challenge. Happy to have fire. Happy to white noise.

Ken: He likes David. Was skeptical about the fake looking idol until David showed him the Idol note.

Lucy: Everybody is getting along and everything is fine!

Paul: Talks about his health crisis. Wants to reassure his allies that he's okay and going to be fine.

Sunday is the only player not to have a bonus confessional.

I swear the entirety of the Extended Scene was aired last night because none of it looked new.

"...Liar!"

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Brock Samson posted:

Jeff comes clambering up excitedly, knowing if a man dies on SURVIVOR there ain't know way he isn't there to witness it.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Met posted:

I want to change my poison to Figgy.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Rarity posted:

:drat:

The Quadforce is the most divided I've ever felt about an alliance cause Taylor and Figgy are literally the worst but Jay impressed me here and Michelle is awesome but even so I'm still really mad that they won this one. Still, if they ride the showmance for a while then they can turn on it and that momentum will carry them through to the end.
I can see Jay or Michelle winning the game by keeping T and Fig as their eternal scapegoats wonderkids until the tide turns and suddenly they have a two person extra buffer to push them through.

Love the Gifs yo!

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Met posted:

David: Tells how he found the idol. Basically says exactly what we saw on TV. "Coconuts don't grow with paint on them." "If I sniff the least little bit that I'm going home I'm going to play the idol."

Yeah that's what I'm talking about. David for the win.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Lampsacus posted:

I can see Jay or Michelle winning the game by keeping T and Fig as their eternal scapegoats wonderkids until the tide turns and suddenly they have a two person extra buffer to push them through.

Love the Gifs yo!

That's a reasonable guess, and would be an excellent strategy if they could pull it off. From what we've seen so far, there's no reason to assume either Taylor or Figgy have any idea how to win Survivor. They're dipshits who will be used by the smarter players.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm loving this season so far if only for all the shots of flying foxes we get. Where are they again? I always forget if it's not in the subtitle.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Gluten Freeman posted:

I'm loving this season so far if only for all the shots of flying foxes we get. Where are they again? I always forget if it's not in the subtitle.

Fiji.
There needs to be a Survivor season set in the arctic. But that'll never happen, because the producers think that people only want to see girls in bikinis.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
They're right.

They know which side their bread is buttered.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

yo rear end is grass posted:

Fiji.
There needs to be a Survivor season set in the arctic. But that'll never happen, because the producers think that people only want to see girls in bikinis.

Hypothermia, frostbite and zero food resources do not make for compelling reality game tv viewing.

Since Survivor Arctic isn't going to happen you could watch the Homestead Rescue episode, Winter's Fury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLJ_Ho1crlU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

STAC Goat posted:

I'm also completely intrigued by the mindset of Michaela to pick a fight in Tribal Council with the tribe mate who she was saving with a vote flip. That's just so weird and opens up all kinds of chaotic possibilities.

I think my favourite part of the TC was when Figgy vs Michaela almost started up again because Figgy was eavesdropping. Like that truce wasn't fragile enough already.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Even though Mari talked like a charter school commercial nonstop she still seemed pretty cool and I would've liked to see her get to play a bit more.

This season is so annoying so far.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Gamer girls are doomed just like Kellys, man.

I can't believe Figgy survived despite doing absolutely nothing. She's just lucky Michelle was so adamant on sticking to her original alliance enough to pull whatever voodoo she did. Then again, I'm not sure if Mari/Zeke/Adam had told Figgy who was supposed to be 'out'. You always reassure the person you plan on voting out.

I hope they have a good narrative for Figgy and Taylor, otherwise they might be quite poisonous to watch going forward. Honestly other than Zeke not a huge fan of the Millenials so far.

And Ken continues to impress. I'm not really sure there's much going on at Gen X though. I can see Ken/David being a new J.T./Stephen or Ozzy/Cochran or whatever you want to call them. Problem is that they have a tiny alliance of three (including Cece), and unless they can pull in some of the relatively confessionless people Dave's gonna have to burn his idol at the next TC.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Then again, the de facto Gen X leader nearly just died. Voting him out for fitness shouldn't be a hard sell, and then it's a wide-open game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
oh.

Pony: :shrug:

Poison: Figlor

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Then again, the de facto Gen X leader nearly just died. Voting him out for fitness shouldn't be a hard sell, and then it's a wide-open game.

Not quite an easy sell when Paul still did well enough on the challenge and Dave was... Dave.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Keep running Paul out there for challenges until he keels over. It's what's best for the tribe.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I can't tell if Michelle is good looking or not. Her face always changes.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rat Tail

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

yo rear end is grass posted:

I can't tell if Michelle is good looking or not. Her face always changes.

ok keep us posted please

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

So far this season shows promise

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Met posted:

Rat Tail

So loving gross. Reminds me of my roommate (who looks like Zeke funnily enough) who had a :krad: rat tail when we were in elementary school.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just watched episode 9 of Heroes V Villains and dear lord JT is dumb. Yes, giving your immunity idol to the other tribe is a bad idea.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

You don't need to spoiler tag a 5 year old season lol

JT's letter lives on in infamy.

Red_Museum
Apr 17, 2011

Shredded Hen

Candice with the smiley face, Rupert with the Argh!

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
It seems like a terrible idea bringing Hannah into the loop at the last minute at TC, basically telling her shes at the bottom of that group of 3 and the combined group of six. While shes left with no choice but to vote that way this time she could be open to flip later as a result.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Teckiwi posted:

It seems like a terrible idea bringing Hannah into the loop at the last minute at TC, basically telling her shes at the bottom of that group of 3 and the combined group of six. While shes left with no choice but to vote that way this time she could be open to flip later as a result.

It helps sell trust. Rather than leave her out of the loop on a vote she was on the wrong side of, it tells Hannah that Michelle has her back.

Furthermore, it possibly drives a wedge between Hannah and Zeke's group which may mean it's harder for that group to join together and flip things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Met posted:

I'm glad we're not going to get a season worth of Mari's video game references. I found it kind of satisfying she's so salty on the way out she accused everyone else of being salty. :salt:

that poo poo was terrible so I'm not surprised goons think not having to hear about her autism anymore means the season is ruined

• Locked thread