Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Herr Tog posted:

I did, this may have been another mistake. Also cha-cha is hilarious and undependable.

Cha-Cha's worst crime is that the Palicoes, the little cat dudes that serve his exact same purpose in other titles, are actually pretty decent at their jobs, at least in Monster Hunter 4 and Generations. It's like Capcom decided to spend 2 years taking a hot dump on people who rely on AI partners in single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

deadly_pudding posted:

Cha-Cha's worst crime is that the Palicoes, the little cat dudes that serve his exact same purpose in other titles, are actually pretty decent at their jobs, at least in Monster Hunter 4 and Generations. It's like Capcom decided to spend 2 years taking a hot dump on people who rely on AI partners in single player.

And even though the palicoes meow and yowl and hiss and make cat noises more or less non-stop the entire hunt, they're still much less annoying to have around than Cha-Cha.

gently caress Cha-Cha.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 6 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Gobul:
Concept Art:
Species: Leviathan
Information: Monsters with strong camouflage skills and powerful neurotoxins. Poor swimmers, Gobul conceal themselves and lure prey by imitating plants with their barbels. Can reportedly swallow Epioth whole. They love frogs.
Threat Level: Not listed.

Hunted monsters from Episode 7:

Wroggi:
Concept Art:
Species: Bird Wyvern
Information: Small, carnivorous bird wyverns with poison-generating organs that run from their mouths to their throats. They run in packs, often led by a large alpha male. Lesser members of the order are fiercely loyal, and will eagerly lay down their lives to protect the alpha.
Threat Level: ★★

Great Wroggi:
Concept Art:
Information: Bird wyverns that spit a poisonous mist. Wroggi travel in packs that are led by the largest and most toxic member. The poison is made in a sac-like organ around its throat; if this is destroyed, the creature's ability to spit is impaired.
Threat Level: ★★★

Baggi:

Species: Bird Wyvern/ "Sleep Assholes"
Information: Highly intelligent, carnivorous Bird Wyverns that hunt in packs. Noted for their blue scales and sharp glare. Baggi are feared for their ability to release a tranquillising fluid; it can knock out even humans for several seconds.

Great Baggi:

Information: Carnivorous bird wyverns like the Jaggi. Noted for their projecting cranial crests and bluish-white skin that's adapted to snow. Great Baggi craftily command other Baggi to surround their prey and stun them with a tranquilizing fluid.

Popo:

Species: Herbivore
Information: Herd-forming herbivores covered in thick fur to endure the cold. Popo are gentle, but known to use their massive tusks bravely when defending their young. Popo meat is very nutritious; the tongue is said to be especially palatable.
Threat Level: ★

Lagombi:
Concept Art:
Species: Fanged Beast
Information: Fanged beasts whose warm pelts and thick layers of fat help them to survive in harsh colder climates. Though mainly herbivores, Lagombi occasionally make use of their exceptional hearing and ability to glide on ice to sneak up on live prey.

Renders/Monster List excerpts from Monster Hunter Wikia.

EDIT: The last couple posts reminded me I had this image of the cats (plus some interesting trivia):

TenWren fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 13, 2016

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
Yeah, I personally always hated the Great Baggi, myself, and I'm pretty happy that it's not in Generations or 4U.

However, I am sad that the Great Wroggi isn't in Generations because honestly the Wroggi set just looks incredibly badass, if a bright orange Clint Eastwood cowboy is your thing. It's certainly mine, heh.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
We got junk-rear end Iodromes instead.

Feh.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Iodrome is pretty eh to fight, yeah. You know what isn't eh to fight?

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Let's fight a Lagiacrus

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

THE GOD drat KING O' THE SEA :black101:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Skippy Granola posted:

THE GOD drat KING O' THE SEA :black101:

Hell yeah, Lagiacrus fight! This was the highlight of my experience with Tri. :black101:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
This southern fried co-commentator is delicious. Also the length of video and information is filling

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
I'm sorry but dn's insinuation that the most appropriate emote for any given circumstances could be anything other than prance has ruined this lp for me i refuse to watch anymore videos until he retracts his statement and learns to do the mh prance in real life.

ALSO yeah that Lagi fight. Been playing along with the kind of. I've played MHFU,4U, and Generations before touching 3U so I was kind of sleepwalking through the village stuff until Lagi. Fighting Lagi underwater was the game slapping me in the face and demanding my attention and respect, 500+ hours in other MH games notwithstanding.

insanityv2 fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 14, 2016

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

THE DREAD QUEEN IS HERE :black101:

Lagiacrus is cool and all, but the removal of underwater combat after 3U makes fighting him in Generations kind of anticlimactic. Rathian rules very much.

Bellophon
Sep 26, 2012
I'm sorry, but Lagi's electric bullshit requires attention even in Generations. He might be less tedious and bullshit, but will stick absolutely wreck if given an ounce of complacency.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Never stop math talk DoubleNegative. It is excellent.

Hunted monsters from Episode 8 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Rathian:

Species: Flying Wyvern
Information: Fire-breathing female wyverns, also known as the "Queens of the Land". With powerful legs and poison-secreting tails, they hunt mainly on the ground. Sometimes seen preying as a couple, Rathians and Rathalos cooperate well.
Threat Level: ★★★★

Rathian - Extra Stuff:

Rathian's been around since the very first Monster Hunter, debuting back in 2004. She and her (as of yet unhunted) male counterpart were the first monsters created:

quote:

Q: What monster did you create first?
A: That would be Rathalos and Rathian. As a team, we decided to start by creating a flying dragon type monster, something that could fly and would attack the player using claws and teeth. From there, we could take the skeletal structure as a basis to create variations upon variations. (Designer Kambe Tomonori)

Lagiacrus:
Concept Art:
Species: Leviathan
Information: Leviathans that exist at the top of the aquatic food chain. Feared by sailors as the "Lords of the Seas", Lagiacrus store enough electricity in their spinal organs to make the oceans surge. Occasionally they can be found resting on land as well.
Threat Level: ★★★★★

Lagiacrus - Extra Stuff:
As mentioned, Lagiacrus is the flagship monster for Tri.

TenWren fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 14, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Heads up, but depending on how tomorrow goes, the next episode may be a little later than usual. There definitely will be some Monster Hunting Action this week, though.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Today we're going to change locales, play some tunes, forget what difficulties are available in Resident Evil 4 for the sake of an analogy, and do a little thing called MULTIPLAYER.

This episode features Miijhal as my hunting partner. She's super cool!

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
With regards to cutting a tail with the hunting horn handle,

I might be wrong but I recall being told that, at least in 3rd gen and later, for body parts that require a specific type of damage (cutting v blunt) to break, only the final hit needs to be that damage type. So in theory you could just wail on the tail with your normal attacks and right when the tail has one HP left use the handle poke to cut it.

Of course noone does this because there is no indication usually of when a part is just about to break.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Also, why would you be focusing on the tail with a hunting horn.

Edit: Also also, after looking it up, it appears that only cutting damage actually effects how close a tail is to being cut off. So you would literally have to poke it the entire time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8k5TpLcrf4

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 20, 2016

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yeah it's the opposite that's true. In earlier games any damage type could contribute towards removing tails but now only cutting damage counts.

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Ah seems I heard wrong then.

That being the cass, it seems the poke really is useless then.....

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The poke is a really quick way to get out a second heavy note, which is usually followed by a performance/encore combo, so it's not entirely useless.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Wow, how many Bhanabras died intact in that video? I guess it doesn't matter if I'm playing or watching, if I hear one give a death wail I'm instinctively going to look for the body.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more multiplayer stuff! The experienced player + blind dynamic is already good, so adding Miijhal's perspective as a gunner is excellent. I've never touched anything related to the ranged weapons in Monster Hunter, so that's something I'm always going to be interested in hearing about.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Next update will be Wednesday. I got the commentary and everything recorded but thanks to work I haven't really had time to get it all set in. Next week there will probably be a stream to get Lagiacrus armor, so expect some degree of suffering as I grind for a plate.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I hate Gigginox almost as much as I hate underwater fighting.

Also, let's take a quick look at Hunting Action through the lens of Musou games in Toukiden Kiwami, a stylish game about killing oni to make hats out of them.

Unrelated, but DoubleNegative also started an LP recently. It unfortunately involves 100% less prancing.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 28, 2016

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.

Shlapintogan posted:

I hate Gigginox almost as much as I hate underwater fighting.

Also, let's take a quick look at Hunting Action through the lens of Musou games in Toukiden Kiwami, a stylish game about killing oni to make hats out of them.

Unrelated, but DoubleNegative also started an LP recently. It unfortunately involves 100% less prancing.

Why not just wear Great Wroggi armor for Gigginox? I recall it had the Poison skill built in, and makes you look like a ~fabulous~ cowboy to boot!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Look, I don't have time for optimal strategies, I work for a living! :v:

(I just didn't feel like grinding Wroggi, is all)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I was just thinking that Gigginox looks like a proto-Khezu, and hey, you mentioned that!

I checked my copy of this game awhile ago to see where I left off, and boy... I have like no items and almost no money. What was I even doing?

I think I'll stick to Generations. I would miss my Bugstick. And my cats. Plus underwater combat SUCKS.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

How can you hate a monster with a face where its rear end should be

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Yeah, Gigginox are evil, evil bastards, and, to make it worse? in 3U, nope, Gigginox armour does nothing against poison. In fact, it gives the opposite of Protection, Lvl 1 Earplugs, Speed Sharpening, and Status Atk+1 . They're also in P3rd, and I can definitively state they're just as much an rear end in a top hat there as in this vid... Every Gigginox I've hunted frickin' loves that ceiling, so Bounce Bombs are a must-bring.

Still, you did a good job, as, like you said, fucker's got way too much health, and you're gonna be spending a lot of that fight nervously looking out for the tells. Amusingly, even though it's slightly more resistant to cutting damage, that resistance is spread out more evenly than impact weapons like hammers, which means playing the guessing game of which head is which! (The slightly larger one is 60% resistant, the slightly smaller one is only 35% resistant. Blades, however, have the problem that its underbelly is 55% resistant, compared to the rest, which is about 35% resistant on average.)

Nicknames for this beast mostly pun on its, er... Somewhat phallic look.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

I think I'll stick to Generations. I would miss my Bugstick. And my cats. Plus underwater combat SUCKS.

The more I watch 3U LPs, the more I agree with this statement.

Bugstick 4 lyfe.

(also sometimes hammer)

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
I still think Khezu is the bigger rear end in a top hat. At least Gigginox can't paralyze you and doesn't use the same boring animations as every other flying wyvern.

Also, as mentioned, the lack of music in a Khezu fight bores me more than it does scares me. The creepiness factor wears off when you have to fight the fucker ten times to get his rare drop and upgrade your axe.

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

I've never had an issue with Khezu. Admittedly, I may be biased- I started in 3U, where I ran around with a longsword and no insect glaive vault, which I rely on heavily to get me out of danger zones. Gigginox was hell, made only slightly better by wearing G Wroggi armor to prevent her stupid poison. And even then, I was constantly getting windswept or knocked back by poison clouds so it was nearly impossible to land a hit.

I also didn't notice the lack of music until I started watching Let's Plays because I always play with the sound off anyway. Usually so I can... watch Monster Hunter LPs while playing...

Wouldn't mind being able to take a Glaive to a Gigginox fight... that would be some sweet revenge right there.

DetectiveDorian
Feb 17, 2013

Rau's about to go Big Brother Barbarian on some motherfuckers, that's for sure.
If Capcom was going for absolutely gross, it succeeded better with Gigginox in my opinion.

Granted, I have a lot more experience with fighting Khezu in 4U and Generations, so I might be a bit more desensitized by this point, heh.

TenWren
Jan 22, 2012

Hunted monsters from Episode 9 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):
Bnahabra:
Concept Art:
Species: Neopteron
Information: Flying insects that inhabit most environments. They attack invaders with a paralyzing venom, and lay eggs in carrion together with a bodily fluid that hastens decomposition. As their bodies are easily destroyed, poison is ideal for harvesting their parts.

Hunted monsters from Episode 10 (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):

Giggi:
Concept Art:
Information: Remarkably fecund wyvern larvae that can flourish in any dark environment. They survive by leeching onto other animals, sucking their blood, and then converting it to toxins. Giggi victims are advised to shake them off by rolling vigorously on the ground.

Gigginox:
Concept Art:
Information: Wyverns that inhabit the Tundra. Gigginox live in darkness and thus have degraded vision; they detect prey via body heat, then attack with poison. When excited, their color changes and parts of their body harden. Extremely fertile, laying innumerable eggs.

Melynx:
Concept Art:
Species: Lynian
Information: Bipedal creatures resembling cats, known for their dark hair. more curious then Felynes and possessed by kleptomania, Melynxes take what they steal back to their dens. Felvine intoxicates them, causing them to sometimes drop items.

Misc. Hunted Monsters from other episodes (click on the name to be taken to a wiki page):
Kelbi:
Concept Art:
Species: Herbivore
Small herbivores known for their gentle demeanor, as well as the medicinal properties of their horns. Those wishing to harvest a horn should stun the Kelbi with strike attacks, then sever the appendage while the animal is still alive.
Threat Level: ★

TenWren fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 1, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

UPDATE

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

This is a good gif :kimchi:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nice job loving up that goat... camel... thing. When I fought one of those, I was a cat, because why not be the cat?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Goat camel? That can only mean it's Duramboros. I still need to fight the hyper one in Generations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hoss Corncave posted:

Goat camel? That can only mean it's Duramboros. I still need to fight the hyper one in Generations.

I really need to get back into Generations. I'm like HR5, I think? Someplace in early-to-mid high rank stuff. I think I was working on upgrading my Narg longsword because I'm wearing a set that cranks up my Affinity. I had like a 50% crit rate or something like that.

I just kinda fell down a huge PC gaming hole toward the end of summer, and am still down there. This Let's Play is making me seriously jones for killing a dinosaur, though.

I'm really enjoying DoubleNegative's commentary; it's immensely interesting to hear impressions from somebody who's going into this blind for the first time.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
Duramboros is a beautiful ballerina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I like Duramboros a lot. Such a stupid-looking monster but surprisingly deadly.

First time that dope launched itself into the air by the rear end I carted cause I was laughing too hard.

• Locked thread