Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BarbarianElephant posted:

Do men actually enjoy sex at all or is it just about proving to other guys how much pussy they can attract?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do men actually enjoy sex at all or is it just about proving to other guys how much pussy they can attract?

Genuinely unsure with a lot of the alt-right, they seem to spend far more time complaining about sex than I can believe they do having it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
with PUAs it's 100% about showing off to other men your own sexual market value

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe you should gently caress men if you care about them so much.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Maybe you should gently caress men if you care about them so much.

It's so weird how otherwise progressive people can have such a blindspot towards these aspects of toxic masculinity.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Just like people pick and choose and misinterpret bits of their religion they will absolutely do the same with science. It doesn't matter if it was a hack fraud race scientist who's been long since discredited, if it confirms some sort of racist belief, they'll latch on it. Clearly the new studies are just politically correct propaganda to scare us into not being racist, just like climate change is trying to scare us away from capitalism.

Conservatives don't have a monopoly on this. Facts which contradict social justice ideology are thrown out by many progressives.

For example, they won't even admit that affirmative action policies for college admissions lower admission standards for disadvantaged minorities, which is pretty obviously true. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad policy, but it certainly is something that happens and to deny it is dishonest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

It's so weird how otherwise progressive people can have such a blindspot towards these aspects of toxic masculinity.

Come again?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Come again?

"Haha, if ur insecure about ur masculinity, u must be one of them queers"

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

Conservatives don't have a monopoly on this. Facts which contradict social justice ideology are thrown out by many progressives.

For example, they won't even admit that affirmative action policies for college admissions lower admission standards for disadvantaged minorities, which is pretty obviously true. That doesn't necessarily make it a bad policy, but it certainly is something that happens and to deny it is dishonest.

George W Bush is an Ivy League graduate, and Donald Trump.

standards are pretty lax for white folk clearly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

"Haha, if ur insecure, u must be one of them queers"

I may have been being insincere?

Also I would entirely settle for just trolling horrible people with their insecurities than actually trying to explain to them why they're wrong, I think it would be both more effective and less tiring.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

JFairfax posted:

This is good to bring up. Obviously, admission standards are lowered for legacies or for athletes. Progressives have no trouble admitting that. But when it comes to the subject of Affirmative Action policies, many will swear up and down that standards are not lowered for disadvantaged minorities. It is like they are throwing out facts that contradict their political ideology . . .

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

silence_kit posted:

This is good to bring up. Obviously, admission standards are lowered for legacies or for athletes. Progressives have no trouble admitting that. But when it comes to the subject of Affirmative Action policies, many will swear up and down that standards are not lowered for disadvantaged minorities. It is like they are throwing out facts that contradict their political ideology . . .

it depends what you mean by standards, someone getting a lower GPA from a disadantaged inner city high school is quite possibly smarter than someone with a very high GPA from a nice suburban high school in an affluent neighbourhood.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah lol if we start pretending grade inflation at affluent schools isn't a thing so that we can stick it to dumb minorities

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

JFairfax posted:

it depends what you mean by standards, someone getting a lower GPA from a disadantaged inner city high school is quite possibly smarter than someone with a very high GPA from a nice suburban high school in an affluent neighbourhood.

If you go to a disadvantaged inner city high school (I've worked in one) and even made it to community college you have accomplished more than any kid from a suburban high school in an affluent neighborhood(where I grew up) could ever hope to.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Nobody enjoys sex. We just do it to further our species.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I may have been being insincere?

Also I would entirely settle for just trolling horrible people with their insecurities than actually trying to explain to them why they're wrong, I think it would be both more effective and less tiring.

It would also be resigning on any pretense of progress being an attainable goal.

Furthermore, the alt right people get criticized for their own jokes because it's not possible to be ironic about these things - you are what you say. Why don't you hold yourself to the same standard? Are you so confident that you can't become a problem because you are enlightened? Well, that's the alt right mentality in a nutshell.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

on the left posted:

Private schools and entrance to gifted and talented programs usually use something like an IQ test.

Lots of inner-city schools have way higher budgets than suburban schools, even when adjusted for higher costs in a city. We also have an example where an activist judge gave virtually unlimited money to a school system, only to find out that it didn't work at all. There was no improvement on test scores despite a 1:12 student teacher ratio and unbelievable facilities like a model UN with simultaneous translation capabilities. They were spending $40k per student in the late 1980s/early 90s.

Experiments in real life don't fit the "they do badly because the schools are underfunded" hypothesis.

IQ tests do tell you something (though only in terms of very significant differences in scores; i.e. a person who has an IQ of 120 is probably generally smarter* than someone with an IQ of 80, but not necessarily smarter than someone with an IQ of 110), but the key problem is that it does not really measure innate intelligence. There are many factors other than school funding that determine a child's outcomes in terms of aptitude, such as their parents/home life, fellow students, etc. Merely giving a school equal funding does not solve these problems (though it certainly helps). The obvious conclusion to reach from school funding not causing equal outcomes between races is not "welp guess it does nothing" or "welp guess black people are innately less intelligence", but rather "there must be other environmental factors black people are more widely exposed to that affect educational outcomes."

Also, think of it this way - the fact that there's a difference in IQ scores between races should, in and of itself, prove that IQ scores do not measure innate intelligence (for the aforementioned reason that noticeable differences in intelligence caused by race is pretty much impossible genetically).

*Also, I'm only using "smarter" in the most general sense here. One big problem with IQ scores is that they're just composites of a number of sub-scores (IIRC two sub-scores than are split up into several sub-scores themselves). Someone can have a high IQ score will be very stupid in a specific type of thinking, or vice versa (granted, I don't think significant variation among sub-scores is that common, but it definitely does exist). And then there's the fact that IQ scores can be improved through teaching the types of questions they present. Basically, while IQ tests may serve as some sort of measure of aptitude, this does not mean that 1. they represent *innate* aptitude or that 2. the sort of aptitude they measure is relevant to any particular occupation.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

BrandorKP posted:

So why would you choose the identity "white" why does that particular category have meaning to you? Why is that what you are choosing to be?

I'm White and multi cultural American identity doesn't appeal to me.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

TheNakedFantastic posted:

America is by it's very nature multicultural

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

JFairfax posted:

In GWB and Trump's day, Ivies were not the striver schools they are today. A lot of which Ivy you would go to was decided by which religion you were. That being said, Wharton undergrad is incredibly elite and as far as business school goes there's nothing better at the UG level.

silence_kit posted:

Legacy admissions are not what they used to be if you are an average person. I know lots of boomers that banked on their idiot kid going to Brown or Dartmouth, but the legacy box didn't work and they had to send their kids to a college for rich idiots like USC or Tufts.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

What do you have more in common with, say, a rich New Yorker with Italian ancestry (or insert some other location/ancestry very different from yours) than a black person from the same location and socioeconomic group as you?

The reason people are pointing this out is that "white" doesn't really have anything specific linked to it culturally. You can point to specific countries or even economic strata that have some degree of shared experience, but that isn't really true for white people.

(To preemptively address a "well then why does it make sense for black people to care about black ancestry", the key difference is that the overwhelming majority of black Americans come from the same background - that is, their ancestors were brought over here as slaves. As a result, they have a shared cultural background in the same way as a French immigrant might have shared background with another French immigrant. But "white" is far too broad of a demographic to be able to point to any specific characterists other than "not a minority.")

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

rudatron posted:

Communist & fascist are ideologies, not identities, and American is a legal status of citizenship.
They are identities for many people, but ok I can accept the separation there.

rudatron posted:

But I think you're confused, race isn't an illusion because it's socially constructed, language is social constructed after all, it is an illusion because it is wrong. It presents itself as natural, while being totally unnatural. It makes claims of causative associations between skin color and behavior, all of which are lies. The only reason it is 'real', is because idiots believe it. If we should organize society, we should organize it on truth, not lies.
How did you determine it as unnatural? Race has a real material basis, it's based on genetics that cause people to look alike which changes how they treat each other. Yes the genetic closeness of groups that form the basis of race is somewhat flexible, but it has a material basis regardless.

As to your second point that's more wishful thinking than scientific fact, if anything evidence points the other way.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

JFairfax posted:

America is by it's very nature multicultural

It wasn't really founded on or run in the manner of modern multiculturalism.

TheNakedFantastic fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 12, 2016

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

What do you have more in common with, say, a rich New Yorker with Italian ancestry (or insert some other location/ancestry very different from yours) than a black person from the same location and socioeconomic group as you?
We're much more genetically closely related and our ancestors have relatively closely related cultural heritages significantly different from Latino or Black cultures.

Ytlaya posted:

The reason people are pointing this out is that "white" doesn't really have anything specific linked to it culturally. You can point to specific countries or even economic strata that have some degree of shared experience, but that isn't really true for white people.

(To preemptively address a "well then why does it make sense for black people to care about black ancestry", the key difference is that the overwhelming majority of black Americans come from the same background - that is, their ancestors were brought over here as slaves. As a result, they have a shared cultural background in the same way as a French immigrant might have shared background with another French immigrant. But "white" is far too broad of a demographic to be able to point to any specific characterists other than "not a minority.")

You could make same argument that any culture is more divided by class than it is united by similarity.

All these arguments against White identity are predicated on undermining racism rather than reality, they're not logically consistent with how other cultures/identities operate.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ How in the world does a white person in France share more culturally with a white American than a white and black American do?

They are identities for many people, but ok I can accept the separation there.

How did you determine it as unnatural? Race has a real material basis, it's based on genetics that cause people to look alike which changes how they treat each other. Yes the genetic closeness of groups that form the basis of race is somewhat flexible, but it has a material basis regardless.

As to your second point that's more wishful thinking than scientific fact, if anything evidence points the other way.

How we define race is not consistent and is also based only on the traits that are directly related to stuff like skin color or facial appearance. It also makes no sense to consider white and hispanic to be two separate races but also consider all African ethnic groups to be "black", given the greater genetic diversity between groups of the latter. Where to draw the line is completely determined by society and has no material basis.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 12, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

It would also be resigning on any pretense of progress being an attainable goal.

Furthermore, the alt right people get criticized for their own jokes because it's not possible to be ironic about these things - you are what you say. Why don't you hold yourself to the same standard? Are you so confident that you can't become a problem because you are enlightened? Well, that's the alt right mentality in a nutshell.

No it is possible to be sarcastic about things but the alt right weridoes aren't, they're actually just literal horrible people, nothing ironic about it.

Yes I think I'm better than Davis "I have nothing against white nationalism" Aurini.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

MizPiz posted:

Not really. Sure, the national governments are run by local populations, but usually an ideological or ethno-religious group holds absolute control over the state apparatus while people who oppose them (both groups and individuals) are repressed and potentially made enemies of the state. I'm willing to believe fewer people are being killed since the end of the cold war, but they have certainly not become less violent, and death tolls can be highly suspect depending on the source (or whether they were recorded to begin with).
There isn't a single credible source that would claim that historic violence (including economic violence) and deaths from violence aren't drastically reduced in the modern paradigm.

MizPiz posted:

Saying that post-colonial exploitation isn't significantly different from America or the European powers just shows ignorance to the events in third world regions.
Strange, I would think most people from the third world would laugh at how disconnected from reality this is.

The modern world doesn't fit neatly into colonial and post colonial leftist analysis, it's substantially different in power relationships between nations and peoples. There's a reason revolutionary movements in the third world are mostly dead and populism is strikingly different in character.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Spacedad posted:

Whenever I hear racists bring up the :biotruths: argument I just point out that white people have neanderthal DNA but sub-Saharan Africans don't and watch them throw a shitfit.

'woah dude, don't neanderthal out on me now...'

It's more that everyone EXCEPT sub Saharan Africans (outside of a tiny "backflow" group) has Neanderthal DNA.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

No you see just like we evolved different skin tones for different climates, we evolved different levels and types of intelligence and physical ability too. Europe had harsh climates and something about the ice age so problem solving rather than laying in the sun relaxing all day, which is why women like jewellry because it's like picking berries. I read it all in the title of a clickbait pop-science article I didn't actually read.

Just like people pick and choose and misinterpret bits of their religion they will absolutely do the same with science. It doesn't matter if it was a hack fraud race scientist who's been long since discredited, if it confirms some sort of racist belief, they'll latch on it. Clearly the new studies are just politically correct propaganda to scare us into not being racist, just like climate change is trying to scare us away from capitalism.

There isn't any scientific basis for claiming absolute or even meaningless levels of inequality between ethnic groups. In fact it doesn't make sense in materialist analysis.

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

We're much more genetically closely related

lol no

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absenting sickle cell anaemia are there even any significant gentic differences between people of different skin colours?

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

OwlFancier posted:

Absenting sickle cell anaemia are there even any significant gentic differences between people of different skin colours?

There are different prevalences of susceptibility to a wide variety of diseases (Cystic Fibrosis, Takayasu arteritis, Tay-Sachs, coccidiomycosis, many others) between ethnicities, and a few other quirks like East Asians often missing an ethanol metabolism enzyme that makes you flush when you drink, but that's about it. You're more closely genetically related to a big fraction of every other ethnicity than you are to mythical genetic mean of your own ethnicity.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ How in the world does a white person in France share more culturally with a white American than a white and black American do?
I'm mostly defining White in this case as White American.

Ytlaya posted:

How we define race is not consistent and is also based only on the traits that are directly related to stuff like skin color or facial appearance.
These are generally strong indicators of genetic distance.

Ytlaya posted:

It also makes no sense to consider white and hispanic to be two separate races but also consider all African ethnic groups to be "black", given the greater genetic diversity between groups of the latter. Where to draw the line is completely determined by society and has no material basis.
These groups are all more closely related to each other than they are to other groups, they are extremely broad categorizations I'll agree.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

Bass Concert Hall posted:

There are different prevalences of susceptibility to a wide variety of diseases (Cystic Fibrosis, Takayasu arteritis, Tay-Sachs, coccidiomycosis, many others) between ethnicities, and a few other quirks like East Asians often missing an ethanol metabolism enzyme that makes you flush when you drink, but that's about it. You're more closely genetically related to a big fraction of every other ethnicity than you are to mythical genetic mean of your own ethnicity.

You're substituting a more distant mean and then claiming genetic ancestry is meaningless for large populations. This interpretation is about politics not science

Bass Concert Hall
May 9, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

You're substituting a more distant mean and then claiming genetic ancestry is meaningless for large populations. This interpretation is about politics not science

What does genetic similarity have to do with politics? My statement is true. Please stop incorrectly invoking scientific principles to justify your cultural identify.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Skin colour, eye colour, skull shape, epicanthel folds, chemical production, height, disease susceptibility (both genetic and exogenous sources), probably behavioral tendencies on some level, etc.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skin colour, eye colour, skull shape, epicanthel folds, chemical production, height, disease susceptibility (both genetic and exogenous sources), probably behavioral tendencies on some level, etc.

I said "significant" and was also sort of trying to suggest "other than what you find between people of the same skin colour".

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

What does genetic similarity have to do with politics? My statement is true. Please stop incorrectly invoking scientific principles to justify your cultural identify.

It's an extremely dishonest statistical interpretation to further your absolutist statements in support of a political position. It's quite easy to determine the relatedness of two people from genetics and Europeans are indeed more closely related to each other than other groups in any reasonable model.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

In fact, a random group of Chimpanzees has more genetic diversity than the entire human race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

However bringing up genetics in support of the existence of "race" as a social construct is foolish because the genetic concept of "relatedness" has absolutely no bearing on race as a social construct.

I would argue that is rather dishonest.

• Locked thread