Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I hope we get to see ghost Lori again soon to tell Rick all the Good ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Or have Glen/Shane as the angel/devil on his shoulders

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I wonder if the hilltop has a well. And an Asian guy named Ben.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
That'd actually be great if they met a community that was them in bizarro world

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I think you may have hit the nail on this point. I'm in a rough place emotionally right now, and the only person standing by me is my bf of 13 years, who's about to be my husband. In addition, I haven't kept up with the comics, and try to live under a rock about spoilers, so both deaths were a shock to me (I even said at the beginning, "I'll bet it's Aaron, Glen's got +10 plot armor"; I had no idea whatsoever). I started crying when Abe got whacked, and loving lost it when Glen did, because their gf/wife was right there watching as it happened. Seeing their spouses cry was what pushed me over the edge. (also, poor Eugene, who was kinda Abe's bro-mance husband. :( )

I'm not in the "I can't watch this anymore" camp, in fact I'm pleased the show has made me feel something. The gore wasn't what got to me --- it's a zombie show, for chrissakes ---, it was more "fuuuuuck, Glen and Maggie were two likeable, competent characters who got together, and now this?" I wasn't torn up at all when Lori died because she was a hot mess of stupidity, but seeing those guys go as their spouses watched their heads get bashed in was painful.

Yep, this is it. People are not shocked about the gore. The gore has almost become laughable at this point. Seeing a loved one die in a brutal manner like that is hosed up. And some of us were projecting ourselves in their places. It's called empathy, fools.

Some of you suckers need some love and companionship in your lives.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

John F Bennett posted:

Yep, this is it. People are not shocked about the gore. The gore has almost become laughable at this point. Seeing a loved one die in a brutal manner like that is hosed up. And some of us were projecting ourselves in their places. It's called empathy, fools.

Except everywhere I've looked everyone is complaining specifically about the gore, so... not really? :butt:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think they're just not capable of articulating why they were upset, so they blamed the gore. Like they probably would've been fine if Negan just pulled Glenn into the RV and drove off and came back with a bloody bat, or if he was taken somewhere off in the woods and we just see him in the distance getting shot.

I wasn't a crying, blubbering mess over it but yeah it was pretty hosed up seeing Glenn with his eye popped out and barely coherent right in front of the mother of his kid.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

John F Bennett posted:

Oh nooooo a tee vee show made me feel something boo hoo

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Many shows, movies and books make me feel something. Didn't say that was a bad thing.

Of course I will keep watching. The point was that it wasn't about the gore. If you don't really uderstand that, well poo poo.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

The comic's portrayal of this scene stuck with me more than the show for whatever reason.

That being said, the people in here excitedly mocking others who have expressed discomfort at having watched someone's skull get graphically and gratuitously bashed in by a baseball bat wrapped in barbed war is the epitome of basement-dwelling neckbeardia.

Anyway, bring on the society run by someone named Dane and his wife Tori who tell tearful stories about putting down his out of control friend Dick.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've seen multiple people (not here to be fair) compare it to "watching an ISIS execution video". I mean, I can get the empathy thing - that's the point of the scene, to make you feel sad/mad/whatever, not really just to gross you out. Feeling discomfort is fine and expected, the only people really being mocked are the ~literally shaking~ types who are being just as over the top as the scene was.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
The gore wasn't the problem. The lack of impact was. The deaths were borderline comical in execution. This was partially due to the retarded cliffhanger gimmick. We all knew someone was getting smashed so it was just a waiting game. No intensity or suspense

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Glenn's eye kinda popping out is pretty tame for this show. We've had countless beheadings, disembowelings, intestines literally draped over characters, zombie kids, kids being eaten by zombies, kids talking with literal holes in their head, impalings, zombie pregnancies, people being turned into roadkill, and the occasional amputation.

But no, a dented skull is a triggering bridge too far. :rolleyes:

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I can't believe people are so offended by Rick and Negan kissing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I want to sit some of those people down and make them watch The Devil's Rejects, particularly the middle stretch which is just one nihilistic and senselessly brutal death after another.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The real problem is there are so many main characters who are completely unlikable and have awkward stilted monologue conversations and a Lost-level of information sharing. Getting rid of one if the worst Mary Sue's on the show in Glenn, who's plot armor had made him completely uninteresting was a step in the right direction.

Now we wait for Rick to snap out of his shook phase and Daryl to overpower the bad boys and save everyone again, since if anyone is safe on this show its those two.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
yes, our heroes had taken on a murder-for-hire contract and Glenn stuck a knife in someone's heart while they slept and the Saviors body count from Rick's group was at least 40 by this point. but Negan should have understood that GLENN AND MAGGIE WERE IN LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Once again, that outpost had pot plants so they're the Bad guys

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

The Archaic posted:

Nice to see the spoiler that AMC released a couple weeks ago was true, when they showed Rick's right side of his face with blood splatter, instantly confirming Abe's death.

My prediction on how this season will play out

Also climax of this season will build up to a Rick and Co vs. Morgan and Carol confrontation. Morgan probably dies. Like Morgan and Carol are killing Negan's men a few at a time so Negan sends Rick to go deal with it. Morgan and Carol convince Tiger-Warlord to join in the fight against Negan. Rick probably unknowingly kills a bunch of Tiger Warlord's guys and sparks an all out feudal war. Rosita probably dies.

I thought this as well but Rick gets the blood splattered on his face when negan is swinging the bat around joyously after hitting Abe not during.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong
Season 2 caught poo poo because there was no good way to double the number of shows without changing the budget, which is what amc did iirc. That and they wrote Lori into easily hatable characters without meaning to. There are ways to deal with post apocalyptic scenarios without having a bigger badder eviler villain; it's basically a western but instead of Indians you have zombies.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

The more reactions I read about this episode the more I understand why Chris Hardwick had to let everyone know that the actors are actually ok

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Glenn's not dead

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
thought it was pretty meta for maggie to be like 'ugh we loving get it' and look away from the show as Glenn/Chunk stared at the group for a solid minute and talked about his new plans for a fight club

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

UmOk posted:

The gore wasn't the problem. The lack of impact was. The deaths were borderline comical in execution. This was partially due to the retarded cliffhanger gimmick. We all knew someone was getting smashed so it was just a waiting game. No intensity or suspense

yeah I wish the last 2 episodes were combined into a 2 hour finale, then started the new season at the scene where Maggie starts to get up and they take Abe and Glenn's bodies away. There was enough cliffhanger time in between the opening scene of the new episode and the point during Rick's flashbacks to get you worked up enough to worry about who dies, and it would've had more of an impact in the moment. TWD/AMC could have saved themselves the spoilers they were so worried about getting out too.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If they had done that there wouldn't have been nearly as much anticipation for the new season. I'm sure it was a very calculated decision based on what they think would get them the most viewers. TV shows are about making money first and entertaining second. It would have been more satisfying though, I agree.

Boner Zone
Jan 14, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
A better show wouldn't have dragged this out over two seasons starting with testing the waters with the dumpster fakeout and culminating in 20 minutes of B roll of everyone until the reveal and then dragged out the actual murder scene for maximum brutality and shock value

Oberyn getting brutally owned was shocking as gently caress but they didn't have him going around shaking hands in the crowd after he'd been zika'd

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Glenn's not dead

Glenn swapped places while under the dumpster with his perfect twin, some random guy who was just hiding out under there. Then they went their separate ways, Glenn's twin was told Glenn's whole backstory and he went back to Alexandria and was later killed by Negan. When Glenn's twin tells Maggie he'll meet up with her later, he means the real Glenn who's still alive.

He'll ride up to Negan on the back of a tiger and kill him with a broadsword. Then he'll get shot in the chest by one of Negan's men, and left for dead. Then the show is cancelled.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The wolves should have come out of the woods and get mowed down by Negan's baddies immediately to further prove that Negan's guys are Cool and Good and the Rick Gang are the terrorists

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Durzel posted:

Doesn't this cut to the heart of the problem with shows like this? If you are meant to buy into the narrative, for it to be realistic and conceivable, then it's only logical that it would reflect the fact that if it were to happen in the real world then everyone would pretty much be at the mercy of the next big fish to come along - with no exceptions. With no law and order Ricks group would prey on a weaker group, and would themselves be preyed upon by a stronger group, who would be preyed upon by another stronger group. It would literally be survival of the fittest.

The problem with a show not reflecting this, and letting popular characters just survive indefinitely against increasingly implausible odds, is that the show becomes less and less believable. This is really what killed Dexter for me (that, and lovely writing period), because the titular character managed to avoid detection for so long, with the narrative escapes getting ever more incredible and weightless, eventually the viewer just ends up massively sighing at the next encounter because they have grown accustomed to "the big names" having plot armour.

As to whether or not that makes for a compelling show when it's just endless nihilism.. *shrug* Glenn had to die though, anything less would've been (another) cop out.

I'm not against killing off characters, but at the same time if their answer is to just kill another character in service of the exact same plot they had 4 years ago, then it's dumb. Enough with the roving gangs of men robbing and killing, it's getting boring. I'd rather see the show go in a way that explored picking up the pieces and trying to rebuild, with less frequent bouts of Mad-Maxian gunfights. Not saying you can't have roaming gangs of outlaws, but even just showing that there are separate groups of people willing to work together to achieve something would go a long way towards making the show a little more optimistic or at least that it's not just rehashing the same plots over and over.

How about instead of them having to fight another ruthless biker gang run by a psychopath they, i don't know, had to go negotiate some inter-colony trade deals and made the drama not so much about the threat of brutal murdering biker gangs and more about like searching for other colonies to trade with and gaining their trust. How about instead of introducing yet another warlord, they need to trade supplies to two different colonies but only have the resources to satisfy one of them and the politics or economics involved with pissing off one colony or the other. Something a little more cerebral than just "bad guy with a baseball bat shaking us down".

My other big complaint with a lot of the ongoing narrative is they assume that all humans are just waiting to become bloodthirsty savages roaming the countryside and pillaging. I feel like while there are certainly some who would go ahead and embrace that lifestyle, the vast majority of people wouldn't. But we're never exposed to other groups of non-barbaric people, and when we are it's usually a trap.

Also they make a lot of presumptions that all the scientists and engineers and smart people all died long ago since anyone smart is portrayed as a huge pussy in the show. Like, are there no electrical engineers or anything left that could help them to get lines of communication up between colonies? Are there any scientists left who are still trying to figure out how to cure the drat disease?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Johnny Truant posted:

Except everywhere I've looked everyone is complaining specifically about the gore, so... not really? :butt:

You weren't looking hard enough.

quote:

It’s not a matter of the level of violence; that in itself doesn’t bother me. It’s almost never the kind of violence or relative explicitness that turns me against a movie or a television series. It’s always about the worldview of the people presenting it. That’s what’s offensive to me — not the gore, but the sensibility behind it.

"I’ve been writing about this medium for 20 years and watching it for more than 40, and I can’t recall a major TV series marketing cruelty and trauma as cynically, even gleefully, as this AMC saga. The rampage was hyped by a lengthy, thorough ad campaign spotlighting not any regular cast member, but Negan and his weapon. [...] This is revealing: AMC’s marketing department generated suspense by asking who would live and who would die after Negan’s bat-fest, yet the emphasis was not on the potential victim(s), but Morgan’s George Clooney smile and Negan’s substitute phallus."

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/walking-dead-empty-violence.html

quote:

And it turned outright problematic last season when the show seemed to eschew true character or narrative developments in lieu of tawdry manipulation. Whether it was faking Glenn’s death, dropping Polaroids of bashed-in heads into shots to tease comics fans, or the seemingly endless almost-reveals of new bad guy Negan, The Walking Dead seemed more about hyping itself than about telling a story.

That is orchestrated cynicism, pure and simple, forcing the audience to wait until the show was safely past its second commercial break before answering the question it left everyone asking. At a certain point, you have to sit back and realize what you’re watching is not satisfying storytelling — it’s manipulation.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/24/13378876/the-walking-dead-season-7-premiere-recap-review-end-of-quitters-club

It's not just the violence, it's the tedium and misery. Also the terrible writing, direction etc. I have no problem with them killing Glenn off, but they executed poorly. It's not even the gore for me, it's everything around it and the structure of the episode. It was clearly meant to be emotionally manipulative, but they tried too hard and it came off as gratuitous. Seriously the reviews haven't been this bad since the season finale. But people keep watching so the show will keep being terrible.

You can say, what do you expect it's zombies! But I don't remember Shaun of the Dead, Z-Nation or the OG Dawn of the Dead being so wanton and purposefully manipulative on such a base level for the sake of it. Z-Nation can be gross/gorey but it knows it's a b-movie level show and presents itself like that. Same with Ash VS the Evil dead which has like 10x the gore, but it stays in it's lane. Walking Dead wants to be a serious drama and a gorefest but it's doing neither in a genuine, engaging way.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
To add to that, there's a huge contingent of fans who aren't in it for the zombie-gore. My wife doesn't care for gore but she liked TWD because the characters were compelling and the interpersonal drama was interesting. As of last season she began to get pessimistic about the show, and now she's done with it. While people here can say "hey you got what you signed up for, its a zombie horror show!!!", no, that's really not the case. They've created a show that transcended the genre of campy zombie films and made something with real characters and real emotion. That's why it became the number 1 show on tv, not because of the makeup and the gore, but because the characters and their story arc was compelling to a wider audience than just horror movie connoisseurs.

So yes they do need to be a little more thoughtful when they decide how they're going to present the show because their fans aren't all just looking for blood and guts gag reels. The visuals of how Glenn died weren't the issue, but rather how they presented it so quickly and disdainfully for a character that's been around since episode 1. Not saying it had to be literally "a hero's death", but it's lovely as a storyteller to have a bad guy turn all of a sudden to him and bludgeon him to death unexpectedly. Like, you expect more of a send-off than that.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I am as addicted to this show as anyone but uh, you just can't argue that it is good

come on

sometimes it's OK to like bad things, speaking as the fool willing to sit through hours of boredom just to see Rick and crew waste some fools

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 25, 2016

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Talking Dead is the funniest poo poo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

What did you want, a tearful montage of Glenn's accomplishments before Negan respectfully executes him? Glenn's status as a main character shouldn't warrant him a "noble" death or whatever, at least in the beginning the point of the show before Glenn/Rick/Carl/Carol et al's bullshit plot armor became such a thing was that people die and it's usually not heroically, it's randomly and quickly.

Really if they hadn't killed Glenn it would be even more insulting to the fans. Glenn has died at least twice in my book prior to his bludgeoning.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Negan leaving it up to a chance game of eeny-meeny-miney-moe created 11 different timelines, each continuing onwards with him having beaten a different cast member to death. Every episode this season will start with this same scene in the woods with the next 40 minutes or so exploring how the zombie apocalypse would be without that particular person. That thanksgiving scene was probably a preview from the "Aaron dies" episode, because there was applesauce on the table.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Negan is the savior. Ricks group murdered his people in their sleep and Negan forgave them and let most of them live. How do you think Rick would react if the saviors snuck in to alexandria and did the same thing? He would execute them all.

Negan teaches forgiveness and penance. He is the light of the new world. He is the savior.

We are Negan.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

Glenn swapped places while under the dumpster with his perfect twin, some random guy who was just hiding out under there. Then they went their separate ways, Glenn's twin was told Glenn's whole backstory and he went back to Alexandria and was later killed by Negan. When Glenn's twin tells Maggie he'll meet up with her later, he means the real Glenn who's still alive.

He'll ride up to Negan on the back of a tiger and kill him with a broadsword. Then he'll get shot in the chest by one of Negan's men, and left for dead. Then the show is cancelled.

What a beautiful Prestige, I'm floored

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hardawn posted:

What a beautiful Prestige, I'm floored

Wait, I forgot to mention that embossed into the surface of the sword is your card, the 3 of Diamonds.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jodnrn9v8t8

this is so adorable :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

To add to that, there's a huge contingent of fans who aren't in it for the zombie-gore. My wife doesn't care for gore but she liked TWD because the characters were compelling and the interpersonal drama was interesting. As of last season she began to get pessimistic about the show, and now she's done with it. While people here can say "hey you got what you signed up for, its a zombie horror show!!!", no, that's really not the case. They've created a show that transcended the genre of campy zombie films and made something with real characters and real emotion. That's why it became the number 1 show on tv, not because of the makeup and the gore, but because the characters and their story arc was compelling to a wider audience than just horror movie connoisseurs.

So yes they do need to be a little more thoughtful when they decide how they're going to present the show because their fans aren't all just looking for blood and guts gag reels. The visuals of how Glenn died weren't the issue, but rather how they presented it so quickly and disdainfully for a character that's been around since episode 1. Not saying it had to be literally "a hero's death", but it's lovely as a storyteller to have a bad guy turn all of a sudden to him and bludgeon him to death unexpectedly. Like, you expect more of a send-off than that.
Something else that came to mind is that the reason there's so much suspense is that anyone can die, for any reason, at any time. Then they bring in the Saviors who are unremittingly psychotic even compared to what's come before. People who keep polaroids of corpses with bludgeoned heads in their barracks and have mind games to have their captives kill their friends like when Rick and co first went to Hilltop, it's the brute insanity of the Wolves and Joe the Claimer with the intelligence of the Governor and Terminus. There's no humanization here. So these are our villains. Sounds like they'll be a lot of fun.

Then we bring in Negan, who's big stunt is that he's going to kill somebody. Okay, that sounds like it will be a good storyline. I'm already excited to see when it happens, how it happens, the journey more important than the destination and all that. Except it's dragged out over an hour and a half, with nothing of significance until the end, and to add insult to injury, it's wussed out in a lovely cliffhanger that lasts six months. All the suspense and excitement has been robbed from the story because the one thing keeping you coming back to watch is a guessing game, not that somebody is going to get it, because we know it's going to happen, we just saw it loving happen, just censored, if that makes any sense. Imagine if AMC made a big deal out of Hershel and Michonne being captured by Governor and dragged out a long rear end guessing game cliffhanger to see who was going to get beheaded. poo poo wouldn't fly one bit.

And it's not even a good execution scene. Abraham is defiant as usual because he's a tough military man, Glenn cries out to his wife because he loves her, and Rick still refuses to bend because that's what main characters do against villains until Negan starts threatening all of them with death unless Carl loses an arm, and that's what breaks Rick. Wouldn't it be more realistic for Carl, after everything he's been through, to go even crazier than his father and dare the fucker to do his worst? Wouldn't Rick be even more compelled to just tell him to get it over with already if only for his son, because at that point it's a goddamn mercy kill? If you want good storytelling and not just characters being sad because AMC says this is a sad scene, then that would be a start. Even when the Governor and Merle failed to break Glenn and Maggie individually, they were still able to get the location of the prison when threatening to kill one of them in front of each other, and then slated them for execution anyway. Negan makes a big act about taking Rick's group hostage and is bluntly aggressive, killing two and taking Daryl hostage, then lets them go back to loving Alexandria with their weapons and safety, and for some reason thinks he won't have any problems whatsoever. As a new character just introduced in a show seven seasons in, the one thing that makes him supposed to be the worst of the worst, is that he's a big bad man with a baseball bat fetish, and instead it makes him look like a lovely WWE villain.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 25, 2016