Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I really need to get back into Generations. I'm like HR5, I think? Someplace in early-to-mid high rank stuff. I think I was working on upgrading my Narg longsword because I'm wearing a set that cranks up my Affinity. I had like a 50% crit rate or something like that.

I just kinda fell down a huge PC gaming hole toward the end of summer, and am still down there. This Let's Play is making me seriously jones for killing a dinosaur, though.

I'm really enjoying DoubleNegative's commentary; it's immensely interesting to hear impressions from somebody who's going into this blind for the first time.
My hunt to obtain and max out all the charge blades continues. I have another eight left to create, and twenty or so more to upgrade (most of them at final upgrade). Also, I've finally started on the Deviants and the other end-game monsters.

Also, I'm pretty sure I had a Monster Hunter related dream last night where my friend and I chopped off something's tail completely. I think it was Duramboros, and I'm pretty sure it was a dream because the only thing we've been hunting recently is the Hellblade Glavenus, and I'm just as sure you can only cut the tip of its club-like tail off and not the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:STREAM TIME:siren:

I got lucky and got the Lagiacrus plate I needed, but I figure I should also probably go for the Duramboros armor as well. Come watch me suffer at http://www.hitbox.tv/Bohampscious.

Edit: Had to switch to Twitch, hitbox was having problems. Here's a link

Edit2: Done. Got the Lagiacrus armor finished off, looked wholly incompetent the entire time.

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Oct 6, 2016

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Personally dislike Twitch, never streams properly. Get to watch maybe five minutes, then it's rampant stopping to buffer.

One of these days I'd like to try a Monster Hunter game, they look like they'd be an interesting challenge.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

If you missed the stream last night, you can watch me being incredibly bad at this game I try hard to make myself look good in here.

VinnyDonuts
Oct 4, 2013

:lobcorp:
I find that whenever i'm grinding for parts, I'm actually much more likely to goof up and cart than if I was fighting the monster for the first time. On consecutive runs, it's easy to get complacent and forget to respect the monster. That's when you make stupid mistakes and remember that the monster isn't actually any easier to kill just because you've already killed it five times.

Always give this game your respect and attention, or it will punish you.

I mean, unless you're fighting a Great Jaggi with massively overleveled gear, in which case feel free to style all you want.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

:siren:UPDATE:siren:

Nibelsnarf.

There you go.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
It's no joke

Nibelsnarf

dislikes smoke

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I dont wuite like this point of the monster hunter games.
That crappy period between green and blue sharpness where monsters start getting big health buffs and youre still with many of the same basic armor skill and weapon options.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I like Nibelsnarf a lot. In my brief stint in 3U, I made a few of my friends help me get a full set of his armor. I quit soon after that so I never realized the armor is... not that good.

I just liked the monster and wanted to wear his armor.

Still, holy poo poo there is so much stuff about Nibelsnarf I didn't realize, even after fighting him a fair amount in Generations! It never occurred to me to use Barrel Bombs against him, even though he his basically just like a Dodongo! Why didn't I ever think of that?! I also didn't know you could fish him out of the sand! Holy poo poo, that is mind-blowing! :aaa: Can you still do that in Generations?!

Oh, one quick note, while Nibelsnarf may be a harder fight in Generations, if you rodeo him, you can break his uvula super easily, so that's something.

In general, I tend to forget Barrel Bombs exist. Or Sonic Bombs. Or any kind of bomb really. I never know what kind of extra item I should bring and what monsters I can use them on. Any advice for being better about that? It seems like items like that could make hunts easier. Also can anyone who knows the proper way to use Sonic Bombs on Nibelsnarf chime in on how to do it?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Silver Falcon posted:

I like Nibelsnarf a lot. In my brief stint in 3U, I made a few of my friends help me get a full set of his armor. I quit soon after that so I never realized the armor is... not that good.

I just liked the monster and wanted to wear his armor.

Still, holy poo poo there is so much stuff about Nibelsnarf I didn't realize, even after fighting him a fair amount in Generations! It never occurred to me to use Barrel Bombs against him, even though he his basically just like a Dodongo! Why didn't I ever think of that?! I also didn't know you could fish him out of the sand! Holy poo poo, that is mind-blowing! :aaa: Can you still do that in Generations?!

Oh, one quick note, while Nibelsnarf may be a harder fight in Generations, if you rodeo him, you can break his uvula super easily, so that's something.

In general, I tend to forget Barrel Bombs exist. Or Sonic Bombs. Or any kind of bomb really. I never know what kind of extra item I should bring and what monsters I can use them on. Any advice for being better about that? It seems like items like that could make hunts easier. Also can anyone who knows the proper way to use Sonic Bombs on Nibelsnarf chime in on how to do it?

Yeah, you can still fish him up and everything in Generations. He's one of my favorite multiplayer fights because it's just a beatdown with occasional intermissions of dodging his flying leap attacks, and everybody is like climbing over each other to be the one who fishes him out of the ground :v:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

That crappy period between green and blue sharpness where monsters start getting big health buffs and youre still with many of the same basic armor skill and weapon options.

It's especially rough because the Urgent Quest to get out of low rank in these Ultimate/G versions is usually a high rank quest itself, so it's a real trial by fire. I don't remember what it is in this game, but in 4U the first HR monster you fight is Daimyo Hermitaur, the giant enemy crab. It's not that he's super difficult, but he hits your low-rank armor like a truck, and is of course more aggressive than a low rank monster on top of that. It's very much a skill check to prevent you from moving forward until you know how to avoid damage.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

The fortunate thing is that we're not too far out from High Rank, so at least soon we'll be getting the big upgrades we need. I'm debating grinding out the Lagiacrus plate for the Bolt Axe+, because that should carry us the rest of the way, but god drat if I don't hate grinding Lagiacrus.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
Nibelsnarf is by far one of my favorite monsters. He's goofy as gently caress and sounds like an accordion and just has so many dumb little gimmicks. It's impossible to hate him.

Also, I believe sonic bombs just cause Nibelsnarf to come out of the sand where it lands, instead of pursuing the player.

Miijhal fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Oct 13, 2016

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

We have this sick new armor and this awesome new hammer, we may as well use it on something round and Arzuros-like.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

The Pokemon you're thinking of is Groudon, cover legendary for Ruby version.

He's also waaaaaay bigger than Volvidon.

Oh yeah, and Volvidon is indeed in Generations. I've killed him with the cat. Like I've killed most things!

Lately though I've been having fun with Dual Blades, specifically Aerial Style Dual Blades. It is fuuuuuuuuun. :D I used Dual Blades in my short stint in 3U. Looking forward to when (if?) you show them off, so I can see what I was doing wrong!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I had LR Volvidon armor in 3U, I want to say it was Atk Up S, Evade +1 and Tremor Res, with an easily gemmed-out "cold affects you more" skill. You may have even been able to gem up to Atk Up M, I can't recall. Good skillset for a Switch Axe user like myself!

It also had Torso Up boots, which are always rad.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Silver Falcon posted:

It's a good thing I didn't open my mouth then, because I kept thinking "Kyogre right? Yeah, totally Kyogre."

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Oh yeah, and Volvidon is indeed in Generations. I've killed him with the cat. Like I've killed most things!

Lately though I've been having fun with Dual Blades, specifically Aerial Style Dual Blades. It is fuuuuuuuuun. :D I used Dual Blades in my short stint in 3U. Looking forward to when (if?) you show them off, so I can see what I was doing wrong!

Prowler with specific moves and abilities abilities is allegedly the strongest "weapon" in the game.

Also, Aerial style is fun with most weapons, but if you're using Dual Blades, you might want to try Adept style at some point. It's stupidly strong.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hoss Corncave posted:

Prowler with specific moves and abilities abilities is allegedly the strongest "weapon" in the game.

Also, Aerial style is fun with most weapons, but if you're using Dual Blades, you might want to try Adept style at some point. It's stupidly strong.

The ones I use for "for serious" times have Piercing/Big Boomerangs, Boomerang Pro, Earplugs, and either Critical Up S or odd status resistance skills depending on what I'm fighting. You're also supposed to use Last Stand, but I wasn't too thrilled with the tradeoff from being effectively immortal, since resting in the Camp bed refills your Acorns.

I hope that's the build you're talking about, because I spent an awful lot of time farming for cats to get those...

Also I hear Adept style is real good, but I'm hesitant to try it. My sense of timing is absolute garbage. Just ask all the Stone medals I get in Bayonetta...

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Silver Falcon posted:

The ones I use for "for serious" times have Piercing/Big Boomerangs, Boomerang Pro, Earplugs, and either Critical Up S or odd status resistance skills depending on what I'm fighting. You're also supposed to use Last Stand, but I wasn't too thrilled with the tradeoff from being effectively immortal, since resting in the Camp bed refills your Acorns.

I hope that's the build you're talking about, because I spent an awful lot of time farming for cats to get those...

Also I hear Adept style is real good, but I'm hesitant to try it. My sense of timing is absolute garbage. Just ask all the Stone medals I get in Bayonetta...

Your time window for adept dodging is pretty generous. I think the actual hard part is knowing when to abort your counter and dodge again, because the monster doesn't always wait for you to finish your counterattack. Mizutsune, in particular, always gets me with one particular combo where I adept dodge his initial charge, and then he whips around just in time to send me flying after I hit the ground running.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Silver Falcon posted:

Groudon is 11'6". 16'5" for primal groudon.

Pokémon are almost always smaller than people assume

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You're supposed to use either a fighting or assisting palico (assisting type increases boomerang damage), and I think the assisting type also has Emergency Evasion which is really useful too because it's a fully invincible escape. As for Last Stand, yeah, I agree with you on not using that. I'd rather have the acorns. There's apparently a unique ability that one of the not yet released DLC ones has called "World's Strongest" which apparently buffs your attack and defense if you're not wearing armour, but I've yet to see if that's true.

deadly_pudding posted:

Your time window for adept dodging is pretty generous. I think the actual hard part is knowing when to abort your counter and dodge again, because the monster doesn't always wait for you to finish your counterattack. Mizutsune, in particular, always gets me with one particular combo where I adept dodge his initial charge, and then he whips around just in time to send me flying after I hit the ground running.

Yeah, it's not ultra strict like some just frame attacks in other games, but like Pudding says, you just have to be careful to not always go into an attack. Also, screw Mizutsune.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Hoss Corncave posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much it. You're supposed to use either a fighting or assisting palico (assisting type increases boomerang damage), and I think the assisting type also has Emergency Evasion which is really useful too because it's a fully invincible escape. As for Last Stand, yeah, I agree with you on not using that. I'd rather have the acorns. There's apparently a unique ability that one of the not yet released DLC ones has called "World's Strongest" which apparently buffs your attack and defense if you're not wearing armour, but I've yet to see if that's true.

Specifically, Assisting Type fills its meter faster by using boomerangs. I watched a video a couple months ago where 4 boomerang cats just cheesed the hell out of Amatsu, because you can use Emergency Evasion to just ignore his giant murder tornado that he does when he's pissed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Hoss Corncave posted:

I have both! And is that what that secret DLC skill does?! That is super lame, if so. Half the fun of the cats is dressing them up in ridiculous outfits! If I can't Fashion Hunt, I don't even wanna hear about it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

Specifically, Assisting Type fills its meter faster by using boomerangs. I watched a video a couple months ago where 4 boomerang cats just cheesed the hell out of Amatsu, because you can use Emergency Evasion to just ignore his giant murder tornado that he does when he's pissed.
I need to see that video. It always amazes me watching people do big hunts super quickly like Hellfire Star in under 3 minutes.

Silver Falcon posted:

I have both! And is that what that secret DLC skill does?! That is super lame, if so. Half the fun of the cats is dressing them up in ridiculous outfits! If I can't Fashion Hunt, I don't even wanna hear about it.
Yep. Despite the fact that the Baby Tigrex suits are pretty much useless, they're ridiculously adorable to not use.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
We're coming up on some real good monsters in this LP. There's one in particular that I can't wait to see DoubleNegative react to, but all of them are pretty hype from here. It's hard to top Nibelsnarf on the subject of being ridiculous, but this game tries.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I, for one, cannot wait to hear the measurements.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Double post but

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

That was indeed some drat fine work on that Rathian!

I think his armor looks neat, for what that's worth.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I still love that mountain lava flow in the background. It's appropriately metal for a fight against a fire breathing dragon wyvern Rathalos.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Hey, guess loving what?! Capcom has a new game for us to play with! Featuring the return of Barroth! And also some other monsters from Monster Hunter 3U that, uh, we haven't seen yet, so don't click that link if you don't want to be spoiled on them.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

In fact, one of the first monsters shown in that tracks is next update's monster.

I'm still gonna buy it, though.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MachuPikacchu posted:

Hey, guess loving what?! Capcom has a new game for us to play with! Featuring the return of Barroth! And also some other monsters from Monster Hunter 3U that, uh, we haven't seen yet, so don't click that link if you don't want to be spoiled on them.

Supposedly we'll be able to port our save data over, too, which is great. Of course, it comes out in Japan in March, so we'll get it in like... September? If we're lucky? I really wish Capcom would start doing simultaneous releases. It's not like there's that much text to translate.

Although I suppose a lot of the delay is in figuring out which DLC they can port over without running into licensing issues :smith:

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I had this :siren:UPDATE:siren: uploaded a while ago, but I forgot to make it public.

Oops.

Anyway, here's Barioth

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

re: hitbox talk

gently caress CEPHADROME

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

In fact, one of the first monsters shown in that tracks is next update's monster.

I'm still gonna buy it, though.

It has Styles for cats. Aerial and Adept cats. RODEOING CATS! I am so on board, you don't even know!

Also I am so happy that we'll (hopefully?) be able to import save data. I JUST got done fully upgrading a Hellblade armor set and two weapons. No way in hell do I want to start over from scratch after that.

You mentioned that Barioth is a variation of the Flagship Monster from Portable 3rd. Unless I'm looking at the wrong monster, I'm not seeing the resemblance? He does resemble another monster I know, though.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah
It more resembles a certain ninja cat bird lizard

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

I'm an idiot and was thinking about Freedom Unite. I don't know why I said Portable 3rd.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Juat looked up 4U's evasion skill

loving jesus christ on a stick
0.6 seconds of i frames?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Shlapintogan posted:

I'm an idiot and was thinking about Freedom Unite. I don't know why I said Portable 3rd.

Ah, yes. That is the monster I was thinking of. I just made his armor, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Juat looked up 4U's evasion skill

loving jesus christ on a stick
0.6 seconds of i frames?

Holy poo poo what?!

• Locked thread