Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

The area a drone can see becomes within the line-of-sight of all the people in the chain of command and they can call in artillery in that area just as if they were looking at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

abelian posted:

Glynn, can I hand off control of those two AGLs to you or one of your platoons?

I'm happy to take them if you want to hand them off.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Hubis posted:

I'm happy to take them if you want to hand them off.

Done.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

New thoughts after talking in Roll20:

1) More BTRs are moving up Ravaged Path than I previously thought. Fuligin will be angling southeast towards Yooper's hero scout to attempt an ambush. We have enough support weapons covering the east side of Mount Silver that I don't think Fuligin's absence will matter.

2) The assault command is a trap. NastyToes informs me that one of Yooper's squads is spread out over 40 meters where its teams can't support each other due to the use of assault instead of a more complicated quick/pause setup.

3) Expected artillery on our eastern positions on Victory Road. I'll have any support weapons on the eastern slope pack up and fast ~20m into the woods to try to avoid shells. NastyToes' scout has demonstrated to me that there is no danger of NATO charging up the highway, so we can add those support weapons to our line covering Mount Silver.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dublish posted:

1) More BTRs are moving up Ravaged Path than I previously thought. Fuligin will be angling southeast towards Yooper's hero scout to attempt an ambush. We have enough support weapons covering the east side of Mount Silver that I don't think Fuligin's absence will matter.
Can you be sure that those two tanks won't be able to hit him in the rear as he maneuvers? What about the risk of the chopper overhead? Not that I disagree with the overall idea, just want to make sure you take those factors into account.

dublish posted:

3) Expected artillery on our eastern positions on Victory Road. I'll have any support weapons on the eastern slope pack up and fast ~20m into the woods to try to avoid shells. NastyToes' scout has demonstrated to me that there is no danger of NATO charging up the highway, so we can add those support weapons to our line covering Mount Silver.

I noticed a crater right next to one of Jaguars' other vehicles. I was wondering when that got there. The spotting rounds have been moving north-to-south?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

abelian posted:

Can you be sure that those two tanks won't be able to hit him in the rear as he maneuvers? What about the risk of the chopper overhead? Not that I disagree with the overall idea, just want to make sure you take those factors into account.

I'm not worried about the two tanks unless they move. Besides the slope of the ground, there should be plenty of trees between the tanks and Fuligin. As for the chopper, it seems to be operating farther northwest, especially on the road.

abelian posted:

I noticed a crater right next to one of Jaguars' other vehicles. I was wondering when that got there. The spotting rounds have been moving north-to-south?

NastyToes marked them on the Roll20 map with red circles. He's been looking at the save very closely, and much closer than I can without the game.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

dublish posted:

2) The assault command is a trap. NastyToes informs me that one of Yooper's squads is spread out over 40 meters where its teams can't support each other due to the use of assault instead of a more complicated quick/pause setup.

For what you guys are trying to do, doing a SPLIT ASSAULT and using the heavy team to cover while the light team maneuvers is probably more of what you want.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

Took more screenshots.

I thought this was neat. The game seems to actually track the location of air assets. You can see the Igla trail leads to where the tracers are coming from.

Looks like we have artillery being called down on our tank overlooking the intersection.

Here is who I think is responsible and where they are.

And here are the assholes trying to kill us. Funny thing: if you move the camera close enough you can hear the sound of the mortars firing.

If you get close you can actually see the mortar round. No idea how we are spotting this. I'm guessing this is a 120mm mortar round.

That Abrams we were going to precision strike is moving toward mount silver.

Yooper's HQ tank can't see anything because of the trees.

Due to ammo sharing, Yooper's RPG team blew through two squads worth of RPG ammo.

This is a crazy plan to put 5/3 in a keyhole position against that Abrams. Probably not worth the risk.

The rest of these are good spots to put our BTRs for laying down area fire on those enemy contacts we are about to assault.

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 16, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Get the gently caress further into the woods away from the loving helicopter fire! As FAST as possible!

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

NastyToes posted:

Took more screenshots.

Wow, fantastic info! Thanks for compiling those.

I'm impressed how you composited the three mortar shots into a single image.

I think the likeliest damage to the tank from 120mm fire would be immobilization or superficial damage to non-essential systems. The other support weapons, especially the ATGM, are more vulnerable.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

2nd Company will continue its attack. I hope first to clear the woods northwest of Ravaged Path, and then to clear Golem Draw, thereby clearing the way for a future attack on our ultimate objective, Pewter City/Lavender Town. That's in the future though- for now, the focus is Ravaged Path.

Yooper and NastyToes are to focus on destroying the Ukrainian infantry. Keep up the pressure.

1st Platoon: Yooper, you have your own BTRs, plus Fuligin's, plus the two on loan from Katznmaus. I'm also giving you 4th Platoon's (the weapons platoon)- there should be two of them. That should give you a total of 10 BTRs for the next few minutes, though Fuligin may need his 3 back soon. Push them up so you can keep as much firepower on the enemy as possible.

Your HQ team is on the road, and might be braving artillery soon. Get it somewhere else.

As a side note, I believe your scout still has an RPG. What you do with it is up to you.

3rd Platoon: NastyToes, in addition to your own BTRs, I'm giving you control over the two from the grenade launcher platoon. I ordered one forward to support you last turn.

Depending on how big the enemy artillery mission is, your infantry may be in some danger. That includes your HQ team, so be sure to move it forward.

2nd Platoon: Fuligin, we've chatted a bit about your movement south and what the vehicles on Ravaged Path mean for you. Push south to Ravaged Path as fast as you can, and don't forget to split your squads into teams.

5th Platoon: Yooper again, NastyToes has highlighted an issue with the tanks covering Mount Silver. Relocate them. I want the lone tank covering the crossroads to move south to support your scout and Fuligin's movements.

Yooper/NastyToes, can I get an overview screenshot of the units we have on the highway covering the crossroads? Anything within ~50m of that tank, really. Bonus points if you can tell me exactly what each unit is. It looks like we've only got a single ATGM and a couple of HQs in the area, but I want to know for sure.

Headquarters Orders:

The battalion ATGM covering the crossroads is to FAST through the woods as shown.

2nd Company's HQ BTR is to REVERSE onto the road, then QUICK west on the as shown, then MOVE into the treeline.

dublish fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 17, 2016

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

I fear for a potential concentrated push of US infantry to dislodge me from my position on the Mt. Silver western side where I don't have the luxury of heavy BTR usage. There is a great HMG I found lying somewhere on the road which I want to help my Assault teams on the reverse slope to fend off the enemy attack (blue arrows) (they are everywhere!). I want the HMG to potential area fire or direct fire at the crest (solid orange line) and the pass east (double solid orange line) from around the counterslope area (dotted orange line).

Is there any position for this endeavour or are the trees too dense for this? Any ideas where else to put the HMG?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Katznmaus posted:

I fear for a potential concentrated push of US infantry to dislodge me from my position on the Mt. Silver western side where I don't have the luxury of heavy BTR usage.

Say the word and I'll return yours without complaint. If a lot of Americans really do turn up, I'll send you a lot more- two of my platoons are going to be deep in the woods for a while.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
^
That's not what I meant by that, please use these BTRs for their full effect in the east where they can help. Great dodge by the way!
I don't think I could get BTRs that far into the woods without them getting stuck, or I rather want them to be more on the mobile side and of position to help around the map and not just a fixed locale.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dublish posted:

5th Platoon: Yooper again, NastyToes has highlighted an issue with the tanks covering Mount Silver. Relocate them. I want the lone tank covering the crossroads to move south to support your scout and Fuligin's movements.
I keep going back to thinking that you want to probably be tucked into the corner to the west. Going head-to-head with an Abrams is not going to work out very well.

dublish posted:

Yooper/NastyToes, can I get an overview screenshot of the units we have on the highway covering the crossroads? Anything within ~50m of that tank, really. Bonus points if you can tell me exactly what each unit is. It looks like we've only got a single ATGM and a couple of HQs in the area, but I want to know for sure.

This should help:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

abelian posted:

I keep going back to thinking that you want to probably be tucked into the corner to the west. Going head-to-head with an Abrams is not going to work out very well.

I'd happily sacrifice a T-90 if that Abrams were to come over Mount Silver into the wall of ATGM fire we can put up. It'll never happen.

abelian posted:

This should help:

That's very helpful. The only things I think are in real danger are 3/3 (DSM's survivors) and the 2A ATGM team. And maybe Yooper's HQ. I'm unsure of what kind of damage a 120mm mortar shell can do to a BTR.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Katznmaus posted:

I fear for a potential concentrated push of US infantry to dislodge me from my position on the Mt. Silver western side where I don't have the luxury of heavy BTR usage. There is a great HMG I found lying somewhere on the road which I want to help my Assault teams on the reverse slope to fend off the enemy attack (blue arrows) (they are everywhere!). I want the HMG to potential area fire or direct fire at the crest (solid orange line) and the pass east (double solid orange line) from around the counterslope area (dotted orange line).

Is there any position for this endeavour or are the trees too dense for this? Any ideas where else to put the HMG?

For clarification and also because it's bugging me, your machine gun teams are PKPs or whatever your regular infantry squads carry, just separated into their own teams and with tripods.They are at best MMGs and really just LMGs, not KPVs or what have you.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
^
Alright. If my LMGs can suppress infantry contacts, that's all that I need.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

dublish posted:

I'd happily sacrifice a T-90 if that Abrams were to come over Mount Silver into the wall of ATGM fire we can put up. It'll never happen.

According to NastyToes, our METIS ATGMs cannot do frontal damage to an Abrams:

NastyToes on roll20 posted:

NastyToes (GM): ok, doing some testing
our AT-7s can't kill an Abrams
not from the front at least

NastyToes (GM): good news is they don't trigger a laser warning so no popped smoke
they do some damage to tracks targeting and weapon if it hits the mount
yeah, I have 8 At-7 teams hitting the same abrams and they can't pen

NastyToes (GM): AGLs can strip the optics off a tank in about a minute
our AGLs will open fire on their own at 240 meters

Anyway, I still can't see why not to tuck them in near Katznmaus. It offers the same LoS as rolling forward would, it is safer, and provides an opportunity to hit the enemy tanks in the flank, instead of engaging them in a head-to-head battle.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Katznmaus posted:

I can't figure out a way to use the MMG inside those woods. And that's too much area for your teams to provide mutual support to one another. Once they know where your are, they will be able to maneuver in other forces to flank your teams and suppress them from multiple axes. This is exactly what happened to DecoyBadger's teams in Jagged Pass.

However, we've seen how much of an advantage the defender has in these wooded engagements. And due to the limited sight lines, it should be very easy to break initial contact. So I think your best shot is to let them stumble into your troops. You hit them for a minute or two, delaying them, causing casualties, etc., then you fall back before they can mass fires on your position. Eventually you fall back to some place in the open ground, where you have MGs,. BTRs, and/or other heavy weapons waiting from a reasonable distance.

The good news is that it would be quite the hike for them to get to you inside those woods, without using vehicles, so you should still have some time before they head that way.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Also ForumsTerrorist is moving up to Jagged Pass East as well, so that's another platoon with potential vehicle support nearby on its way.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010
I think this 1 coy vehicle line on Mt Pyre could do with a little tweaking. We're about to have six vehicles on line, very close to one another.

Can't entirely say I have a better suggestion. Maybe one of the tanks over partway near Fray's little alcove? Ideally I would want to have a new surprise for them in store each time they slice the pie around the corner:

1 coy kinda already has this going on with the ATGM placement, but I'd feel a bit better if the two tanks weren't right next to each other. BTRs can also be used in this capacity vs other BTRs. And they can always reverse back down slope into the Jagged Pass woods.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

You got it!

Man, I leave for 48 hours and poo poo gets real. I'll get on Roll20 today, hash out the details, and get orders tonight.

With all these BTR's it's going to be like the Russian Mad Max.

Is it worth moving my armor up a bit out of the woods to catch the enemy armor if they move up? I'm worried that once that Abrams pair moves up they could shoot the advancing BTR's right in the rear end.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 16, 2016

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Yooper posted:

With all these BTR's it's going to be like the Russian Mad Max.

Everything according to plan :getin:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

abelian posted:

I think this 1 coy vehicle line on Mt Pyre could do with a little tweaking.

I like the tanks together so that we have twice the chance to shoot first on any target; it gives us a better chance for fire superiority and I don't see much downside right now. The BTRs will end up spread around both flanks of the tanks and there will be an ATGM on each side as well. I think this is a pretty good setup with some weight put toward the expectation that infantry will try to move through the woods to the east of the green field, so I don't want tanks too close to that, but the less valuable BTRs instead.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Katznmaus posted:

For deep in the woods, I'd do a SPLIT ASSAULT for each squad. This will give you one squad with your LMG/AT assets and one squad that is just a rifle team. Spread the "heavy" teams out as a defensive line, and fan out the "light" teams out in front of them as recon. When you make contact you can try and figure out where they are concentrated based on what you encounter, then withdraw the contacted scouts to your security line and adjust the other teams to maximally envelop them based on what you see. As said before, this will maximize the benefit you get being in a stationary defensive position in the woods.

Just to bring something else up:

dublish posted:

6) Use Target Light. No need to waste RPGs on infantry contacts.

:siren: Make sure this is really necessary. :siren:

You do NOT need to issue a target order to get your guys to shoot -- they default AI is very trigger-happy and aggressive, and infantry will automatically fire on whatever they get LOS on if they do not have a specific order. Meanwhile if they have a TARGET order, they will be focus-firing on the specified area even if a direct contact comes into view. Really, TARGET commands are best for if you want to put down suppressive fire on an area regardless of any other contacts. In general, all target commands are more about PREVENTING the AI from shooting something that isn't target rather than directing them to explicitly shoot. There's no inherent benefit to attacking with a target command versus just having them stand still or issuing a MOVE command (HUNT may be better since they will move more slowly and stop when they make contact, but HUNT tends to be exhausting so it shouldn't be used as the default).

TARGET LIGHT also explicitly reduces rate of fire. It's really best for suppressing an area lightly, equivalent to a "HARASS" artillery mission. If you're not specifically trying to do it, it's best to not use a target order at all (issue a FACE order instead if you want to dictate facing direction).

e: Just looked at the replay. There's a few squads/BTRs that spend the minute unloading on empty areas of the woods because they had a TARGET order even when everyone there is dead and there are other contacts visible. There are even a few BTRs with TARGET orders right next to where one of our squads has advanced to.

abelian posted:

I think this 1 coy vehicle line on Mt Pyre could do with a little tweaking. We're about to have six vehicles on line, very close to one another.

Can't entirely say I have a better suggestion. Maybe one of the tanks over partway near Fray's little alcove? Ideally I would want to have a new surprise for them in store each time they slice the pie around the corner:

1 coy kinda already has this going on with the ATGM placement, but I'd feel a bit better if the two tanks weren't right next to each other. BTRs can also be used in this capacity vs other BTRs. And they can always reverse back down slope into the Jagged Pass woods.

What you have drawn on the bottom here is what I'd really like to try and do long-term. If we are able to control that avenue to the south, then we can get an ATGM team and a platoon of infantry/vehicles in those woods to the south to lock it down. At that point we will have their line advancing along Jagged Pass covered from two directions and they will be forced to curve back to protect their flank, preventing them from focusing on a breakthrough and allowing the rest of 1st Coy to sweep towards Mt Silver. This to me is how we win and breakthrough to the village. I'd go so far as to say it would be worth rallying whatever armor we can spare to back up Koolkev's diminished platoon in preparation for a strong second maneuver there.

e: Frey should try and move up if he can to keep them from sneaking infantry up into that outcropping of woods in the middle there and possibly getting recon/AT shots off at our line.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 16, 2016

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Glory to 5th Platoon's Сержа́нт Sorokin for drawing enemy blood! It is about to get real for other platoons as well. I like the position we are forming but there are a couple areas we might want to tweak.

Forums Terrorist: I gave hasty commands to your men to form up a line, but you probably want to adjust things so that you don't have any internal gaps or at your interface with 1st Platoon, 3rd Company as noted.

Hubis: I am delegating the AGLs as mentioned earlier to your command since you have the best positions down the passes. Make sure you coordinate with the other platoons to keep your lines coherent and without exploitable gaps. Consider your BTR positioning with enemy vehicles attempting to maneuver across the green field and the possibility of enemy infantry infiltrating the woods adjacent to it.

Fray: I am allotting you the 4th Platoon Squad / C Team MG that is currently located at the south of the meadow next to the BTR. I think you might be able to use it to reinforce a flank to spare men there since you could get stretched out in those woods. Also, make sure you don't leave too much gap between your position and Hubis, as noted. Maybe the 3rd squad can move up there? Up to you.

Koolkevz666: Please order a T-64 kill stencil from the headquarters company. Do you have any input or requests on positioning? I like where you are, but the details have come up for discussion.

4th Platoon 2nd APC: Please re-position this BTR so it has LOS down the pass. You can disregard the planned MMG position there since it has been reassigned to Fray so don't be worried about blocking it.

All other 4th Platoon elements continue orders.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 16, 2016

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I think my position is okay for now, of course now they now that at least one of my tanks is located where they are. I think we should be okay for another turn or so but I may want to re position in case they call in something on top of me.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

2/2

All Squads move QUICK to designated positions. Squad 1 should split off an Assault Squad, which will remain in cover at the orange marker (ie, beneath tree cover at the head of that meadow). The remainder will move up with Squad 2 to their position. Squads 2 and 3 should split in half at their destination

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 16, 2016

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

5/2

REVERSE the armor onto the road and then FAST to the marked position. Have them MOVE through the woods and FACE due south.

Follow the path marked on the map, lot's of MOVE and FAST. You get the idea. Tuck them into the woodline at the final position.

This is for the BTR's of 2/1. Follow the marked orders with the BTR's. Have the HQ dismount when they arrive and support the squad in place. The BTR's will focus fire towards the hostiles.

This is for Katz's "loaners". Have them move to the marked position and fire at the idiots.

This is for 4th Platoon's BTR's. Yah, you get the gist. The for the unit that goes south of the woodline, have them FACE parallel to the woodline.

This is for Fuligins "loaners". Have them move into position and TARGET about where the hostiles are.

INFANTRY

Please have all of my squads halt in position, FACE towards the hostiles if not already facing them, and cancel all target fire orders. We're going to let them rest until the Mad Maxesque wall of BTR's approaches.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

Recon guy

MOVE SLOW to the indicated location. This spot should have much better LoS on those tanks (shamelessly stolen from that very helpful video).

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Phi/FrozenLiquidity - I think we have seen enough of their armor moving south that we can pull back our tanks from their overwatch positions in the north and move them to more directly support the battle. Do you have any thoughts/concerns about moving from the town overwatch and getting stuck in somewhere else?

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Decoy Badger posted:

MOVE SLOW to the indicated location. This spot should have much better LoS on those tanks (shamelessly stolen from that very helpful video).

"Move slow" even for such a short distance will take a long time (30+ seconds?) and sap your stamina. While it might be slightly safer to crawl, if that tank moves out, you could lose your chance to get a kill.

Anyway, it's your decision, but I think that "move", "move quickly" and "hunt" are all better tradeoffs than "move slow" in your situation.

NastyToes
Oct 9, 2012

2nd Company / 3rd Platoon

Green is reverse, yellow is quick, blue is move, and purple is hunt.
2nd AGL BTR: Move down the road and into the woods as shown.
3rd AGL BTR: Move into the woods as shown.
3rd Platoon: Move as shown.

1st squad will advance on the known enemy contacts while the rest of the unit moves up. The BTRs will stay behind the infantry. If necessary, use pause orders during the second half to keep the BTRs from moving ahead of the infantry.
If 2nd or 3rd squad discovers enemy contacts during the first half of the turn please cancel any remaining movement they have for the second half.

3rd Platoon BTRs: Move as shown and put down area fire on the enemy contacts.

NastyToes fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Nov 17, 2016

Hubis
May 18, 2003

abelian posted:

"Move slow" even for such a short distance will take a long time (30+ seconds?) and sap your stamina. While it might be slightly safer to crawl, if that tank moves out, you could lose your chance to get a kill.

Anyway, it's your decision, but I think that "move", "move quickly" and "hunt" are all better tradeoffs than "move slow" in your situation.

I think HUNT implies SLOW, but will stop if contact is made. A HUNT order would let him creep up and fire as soon as he's got a shot, which makes sense. Since he's in the Lions den there I feel like a MOVE or QUICK order would be dangerous (and he has the stamina to spare).

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

Hubis posted:

I think HUNT implies SLOW, but will stop if contact is made. A HUNT order would let him creep up and fire as soon as he's got a shot, which makes sense. Since he's in the Lions den there I feel like a MOVE or QUICK order would be dangerous (and he has the stamina to spare).

Hunt is about the same speed as "move". It's much faster than "slow", which is stupid slow.

The one worry I have about "hunt" is that he had, then lost, a spot on the tank last turn, despite the fact that neither party moved. No guarantee that won't happen again. It would suck if he were to get a spot, only to stop, hit the dirt, and then lose the contact.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

HUNT will also force him to stop if he sees any enemy infantry, which would be almost certain death. I think SLOW is the best of a lot of risky options.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is moot since the scouts are BROKEN and won't take orders.

The tank didn't move out of view, probably just a tree branch blocked the view when they sat up to aim the RPG-26. I expect that they will get a chance at a shot from their current position anyway.

abelian
Jan 23, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

The tank didn't move out of view, probably just a tree branch blocked the view when they sat up to aim the RPG-26. I expect that they will get a chance at a shot from their current position anyway.

That's not correct. I was able to give it an order. See, for example, the video I posted before...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

glynnenstein posted:

That scout hasn't been broken for a while, pretty sure he's down to 'rattled' by now.

• Locked thread