Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Les Affaires posted:

Then the Coalition deserves a major dressing down.

Careful now, you don't want to make them cry into their brandy cigars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
THE country’s top indigenous leader Noel Pearson has eviscerated the ABC as a “miserable racist national broadcaster” needing “blacks to lead short lives of grief and tribulation” in order to produce bleeding-heart news reports.

In remarks that stunned an audience of senior Labor figures gathered to launch a new biography of former prime minister Paul Keating, Mr Pearson denounced the ABC for “soft bigotry” in its coverage of indigenous Australians.

Paying warm tribute to Mr Keating’s commitment to reconciliation and his historic Redfern Speech, Mr Pearson said some of his most promising reforms had been “wrecked” by “ignorant ministers and blind bureaucrats” who have been “aided and abetted by the media, not the least the country’s miserable racist national broadcaster”.

In language as scathing as some of Mr Keating’s most famous insults, Mr Pearson described the ABC as “a spittoon’s worth of perverse people willing the wretched to fail”. “They need blacks to remain alien from mothers’ bosoms, carceral in legions, leading short lives of grief and tribulation because if it were not so, against whom could they direct their soft bigotry of low expectations, about whom could they report misery and bleeding tragedy,” Mr Pearson said.

“Between the Quadrant’s hard bigotry of prejudice from the right and the ABC’s soft bigotry of low expectations on the left, lies this common ground of mutual racism.”

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

not exactly saying anything new, but he's making it easy at the moment

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
and Buzzfeed once again showing they're one of the best sources of investigative journalism right now

https://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/dutton-through-the-ages?utm_term=.vmVV86zLp#.mao7MJ6OD

starkebn fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 22, 2016

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Lid posted:

THE country’s top indigenous leader Noel Pearson has eviscerated the ABC as a “miserable racist national broadcaster” needing “blacks to lead short lives of grief and tribulation” in order to produce bleeding-heart news reports.

In remarks that stunned an audience of senior Labor figures gathered to launch a new biography of former prime minister Paul Keating, Mr Pearson denounced the ABC for “soft bigotry” in its coverage of indigenous Australians.

Paying warm tribute to Mr Keating’s commitment to reconciliation and his historic Redfern Speech, Mr Pearson said some of his most promising reforms had been “wrecked” by “ignorant ministers and blind bureaucrats” who have been “aided and abetted by the media, not the least the country’s miserable racist national broadcaster”.

In language as scathing as some of Mr Keating’s most famous insults, Mr Pearson described the ABC as “a spittoon’s worth of perverse people willing the wretched to fail”. “They need blacks to remain alien from mothers’ bosoms, carceral in legions, leading short lives of grief and tribulation because if it were not so, against whom could they direct their soft bigotry of low expectations, about whom could they report misery and bleeding tragedy,” Mr Pearson said.

“Between the Quadrant’s hard bigotry of prejudice from the right and the ABC’s soft bigotry of low expectations on the left, lies this common ground of mutual racism.”

:eyepop:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/registered-organisations-bill-win-for-government/8044614

quote:

Registered Organisations bill win 'shows government can work constructively with the crossbench': Cash Tuesday 22 November 2016 6:50AM (view full episode)

It's third time lucky for the Turnbull government with the Senate finally passing legislation setting up a Registered Organisations Commission to oversee trade unions. The bill, a key plank of the government's response to a string of union scandals, passed in the early hours of this morning after all the crossbenchers--except for Jacquie Lambie--sided with the Coalition. In return, the government has agreed to stronger protections for whistleblowers who lift the lid on union wrongdoing. 'Tonight the government delivered on a key election commitment to the Australian people, and that was to increase transparency and accountability in registered organisations', says Employment Minister Michaelia Cash. 'What this win in the Senate shows is that the government can work constructively with the crossbench'.
I'm honestly a little on the fence over this but it clearly shows that Xenophone and Hinch are Neocons who are no friend of the working class.

Look out trump! Your drones are no good against the latest avian military menace

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-17/wedge-tailed-eagles-bring-down-drones-in-goldfields/8033056

quote:

Wedge-tailed eagles do battle with mining giant's drones, knocking nine out of sky ABC Goldfields By Jarrod Lucas Updated Fri at 10:09am

Unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) have become unlikely prey for wedge-tailed eagles in Western Australia's Goldfields, costing a mining giant more than $100,000 to replace its newest surveying tool. Ten UAVs have been lost since South Africa's Gold Fields, the world's seventh-biggest gold producer, began operating the Trimble UX5 systems at its St Ives operations near Kambalda. One crashed as a result of human error, while nine have been taken down by wedge-tailed eagles, which are known to have wingspans more than twice that of the 1-metre-wide UAVs. The UAVs are constructed from foam and carbon fibre, and fly at an altitude of about 125 metres, reaching speeds of up to 92km/h. Razor-sharp talons have turned the wedge-tailed eagles into what St Ives Mine surveyor Rick Steven calls "the natural enemy of the UAV".<Snip>
:3:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-22/murray-darling-basin-northern-communities/8042496

Barnaby Joyce still a gently caress wit.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
Victoria continues to be the best state:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-22/fracking-permanently-banned-in-victoria/8045264 posted:

The Victorian Government will introduce legislation today to permanently ban fracking following what the Premier described as "one of the most amazing community campaigns" in Australian history.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Can someone tell me what the gently caress is up with Greg Sheridan? He talks like a total wanker.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Anidav posted:

Can someone tell me what the gently caress is up with Greg Sheridan? He talks like a total wanker.

Wikipedia posted:

Gregory Paul "Greg" Sheridan AO (born 1956) is an Australian foreign affairs journalist and commentator. He has been the foreign editor of The Australian newspaper since 1992

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

At university, Sheridan was a close personal friend to Tony Abbott;[2][3] the two attended the Australian Union of Students annual conference in Melbourne together, in 1977

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

At university, Sheridan was a close personal friend to Tony Abbott;[2][3] the two attended the Australian Union of Students annual conference in Melbourne together, in 1977

Greg Sheridan (via the Monthly) posted:

How I learnt to love Tony Abbott

Abbott was my best friend … We talked over everything. The meaning of life, the purpose of politics, who’d win the rugby league grand final, what girls we planned to ask out, petty squabbles we might have had with our parents. [12 September 2012]

Like Abbott, I spent some time at a Catholic seminary intending to become a priest. [22 August 2009]

In 1977, Abbott and I drove down from Sydney to Melbourne to attend an AUS [Australian Union of Students] conference at Monash University. The AUS conference was extremely hostile for two modestly conservative boys like Abbott and me. The stench of marijuana lay heavy in the air, and every communist and Trotskyist sub-group had assembled, it seemed, its entire national membership. We found the atmosphere of the conference so uncongenial, and so threatening, that we went across the road and asked the Catholic college if we could stay there for the duration of the conference. [12 September 2012]

FIRST CRUSH

Abbott and I were lying on the sand at a surf beach some distance out of Melbourne. The surf was way too rough for either of us to go in. Suddenly a woman came up to us screaming. Her son had been pulled out by a rip and was in bad trouble … Abbott was a strong swimmer and pretty much without hesitation jumped in, swam out to the kid, took hold of him, dragged him down the coastline a bit to get past the rip, and brought him safely to shore. He was not a bit interested in the mother’s thanks. [17 August 2013]

He loves to run, and swim and bicycle, and he loves to volunteer, in the bushfire brigade, in the surf life-savers, in Aboriginal communities. [17 August 2013]

Abbott is brave as a lion. [22 July 2010]

COURTSHIP

I suggested we dine at Lygon Street, one of Melbourne’s glories and a street whose Italian cafes I love … We parked a couple of blocks away and strolled round to find an eatery. I’ve dined with Abbott in Lygon Street before and people are always happy to see a celebrity … [This time] a group of six to 10 demonstrators burst into the restaurant, surrounded our table, and started screaming something along the lines of “Tony Abbott, you don’t dig it, you’re a bigot” or some such drooling nonsense … The manager … asked us to go upstairs, where we finished our dinner. [19 April 2012]

The speeches he works on most show the beneficial effect of an Oxford education. [21 July 2012]

To say the Syrian conflict involves “baddies versus baddies” is almost technical in the precision of its accuracy. [3 September 2013]

Abbott’s cast of mind … is an excellent cast of mind. [19 September 2013]

TIFFS AND JEALOUSIES

Dining with Abbott implies no particular partisanship on my part. [19 April 2012]

With his Speedos and love of swimming and the beach, Abbott … is an easy sell to tradies. Potentially, he also has the personality and style to connect with them. [24 August 2013]

Chris [Koch], whom I rank as Australia’s greatest novelist, had admired Abbott for years. He saw him as an intellectual and a man of action, a conservative who would stand against the dislocations of the time, with the wisdom to accommodate social change and moderate its hard edges. Chris and Abbott had met … a couple of times at my place … Abbott read his great novel of Indonesia, The Year of Living Dangerously. He found it riveting and thought it a great romance, a great “bromance”. [9 November 2013]

BETROTHAL

As a young man, indeed as a young minister, Abbott had a certain impatience with process. Not any more. [12 September 2013]

There is no scenario under which Indonesia could plausibly object to Tony Abbott’s boats turn-around policy. [8 July 2013]

Abbott [is] a soldierly kind of guy. [15 March 2012]

Abbott occasionally visited my father in his last hospitalisation a few years ago. By chance, Abbott was at his bedside when my father died. He was there to weep with my mother, to provide strength and comfort. [17 August 2013]

CONSUMMATION

Inclusive, consultative and cautious … this is a surprise. [18 September 2013]

Yes we can! … yes … Yes. [8 November 2012]

Reagan was calm, measured, engaging and presidential – much like Abbott last night. [12 August 2013]

HONEYMOON

Tony Abbott has had an extraordinarily successful first trip to Indonesia as Prime Minister. [3 October 2013]

Abbott not only maintained his message discipline in Jakarta. He showed a deftness of touch, a warmth of personality. [5 October 2013]

Abbott has had a brilliant trip in Asia. His efforts with Malaysia are important in every way. [10 October 2013]

Shortly after he was elected, our beloved Prime Minister remarked that “happy is the nation that finds itself more interested in sport than politics”. [12 October 2013]

AFTERTHOUGHT

Since Abbott went into politics I’ve always been happy to criticise him. [24 September 2012]

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Greg Sheridan posted:

IF I believed in reincarnation, I think I’d like to come back as a Joint Strike Fighter. Lean, sinuous, sleek, intimidating, the best in my class. Ah ...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
IF I believed in reincarnation, I think I’d like to come back as a Joint Strike Fighter. Lean, sinuous, sleek, intimidating, the best in my class. Ah ...

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It makes sense that Sheridan has an affinity for a barely functional product that cost vast sums of money to gently caress up.

And the JSF too I guess.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
I didn't expect to see Trump on TV and think "yeah that's fair enough really" but I guess the TPP was just that bad of an idea.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

G-Spot Run posted:

I didn't expect to see Trump on TV and think "yeah that's fair enough really" but I guess the TPP was just that bad of an idea.

Now watch the LNP sign up to something even worse.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

WTF it's a pudgy piece of poo poo thanks to design compromises made so it could meet contradictory combat roles.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Holy poo poo is Australian unemployment really at 9.2%? http://www.roymorgan.com/morganpoll

E: doesn't seem to be iono wtf is going on http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/unemployment-rate

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Starshark posted:

Holy poo poo is Australian unemployment really at 9.2%? http://www.roymorgan.com/morganpoll

E: doesn't seem to be iono wtf is going on http://www.tradingeconomics.com/australia/unemployment-rate

Roy Morgan calculates it differently to the ABS.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Beaten by Spaceman. I am unemployed and have been for some time. The ABS would not qualify me as such but Roy Morgan would.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Ah. Apparently by the same measure, the US unemployment is over 20%. No wonder people are pissed.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/nov/20/cutting-tax-breaks-for-over-65s-could-save-1bn-a-year-report-shows

Comment section

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

I am not reading any comment section of anything news related, all that lies down that path is despair

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Man there are going to be some angry comment writers when those pension changes come in in the new year.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

" I paid taxes for 40 years and what do i have to show for it!"

A society?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I am so angry, I am 72 years of age, I have managed to save and invest about $600,000 for a reasonable retirement and my wife passed away a few years ago. I have luckily met and married a Chinese born lady who js an Australian Citizen aged 65 but does not receive the Age pension because she does not meet the 10 year criteria. Fair enough but this means I am treated as a couple homeowner with the $3.00/1000 taken out of a half pension. ie I get paid on a couples pension rate which we only receive half of and now losing twice the previous asset deduction leaves approx $120.00 pension per week for two people to live on according to my calculations.Plus of course what I can earn in interest from my savings less tax.With interest rates as they are that amounts to $400.00 per week. The more I draw down of course I lose in interest. I know that is complicated but that is how the Australian Government has fixed it so 90% of us don’t know where the bloody goalposts are. Advance Australia Fair.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

This is actually hilarious for once. drat kids these days, I worked hard for my money mep mep mep.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Starshark posted:

Jobs AND Growth!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

starkebn posted:

not exactly saying anything new, but he's making it easy at the moment

Nothing new but still totally accurate.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
First Dog:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
My Subaru is coming up on the better part of 500 000 kms and one of the many things that don't work so well any more is the loving radio. I'm stuck on the National network that has Ray Hadley and Christian Argenti. Lately, after covering themselves in sperm following the Trump win, the target has been Millennials. They only care about themselves apparently. I wonder where they get that from? Could it be the poo poo stains who mortgaged their children's future and literally stiffed them with the bill? Who cares about 2 degree temperature rises? Not when you'll be dead before the poo poo really starts to get whiffy. And obviously schoolies are possessed by Satan and as young adults we never did anything the slightest bit irresponsible. My favourite was Argenti's proposal for a ten year night club ban for schoolies misbehaviours.

Oh to get paid to dribble poo poo all day on radio.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

LABAH'S MESS, MISTA SPEAKAH

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I am so angry, I am 72 years of age, I have managed to save and invest about $600,000 for a reasonable retirement and my wife passed away a few years ago. I have luckily met and married a Chinese born lady who js an Australian Citizen aged 65 but does not receive the Age pension because she does not meet the 10 year criteria. Fair enough but this means I am treated as a couple homeowner with the $3.00/1000 taken out of a half pension. ie I get paid on a couples pension rate which we only receive half of and now losing twice the previous asset deduction leaves approx $120.00 pension per week for two people to live on according to my calculations.Plus of course what I can earn in interest from my savings less tax.With interest rates as they are that amounts to $400.00 per week. The more I draw down of course I lose in interest. I know that is complicated but that is how the Australian Government has fixed it so 90% of us don’t know where the bloody goalposts are. Advance Australia Fair.

Sever.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-22/police-search-for-trio-after-woman-assaulted-on-melbourne-tram/8045886

We should halt immigration of people from this racial group until we can be sure we're not getting any more criminals.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
Well if they stop heating their house by burning single malt whisky they should be in their mid 90s before they have to face the horrors of relying solely on the pension.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
So Rod Culleton thought it was a good idea to send this to a magistrate in Cairns:

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

adamantium|wang posted:

So Rod Culleton thought it was a good idea to send this to a magistrate in Cairns:

Rodney;Culleton has joined Malcolm-Lieun(Roberts) as a sovereign citizen crusader it seems.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I think it will all come to nothing as the matter should have been held before an admiralty court.

e:fb like my old avatar.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Judges hate him! local Senator discovers one weird trick to make entire court system constitutionally invalid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

• Locked thread