Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I just picked up Two Worlds 2 on Steam because I have a standing policy about 90% off sales, and I think I remember hearing goodish things about it at some point maybe? Really though, it's the 90% off part. Anyways, let 'er rip!

Have you set up some sort of alert or notification system to watch for sales like that?

I don't mean to derail but maybe this will help: In Two Worlds 1 you just duct-tape all your weapons together to make super weapons and win the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

AnimalChin posted:

Have you set up some sort of alert or notification system to watch for sales like that?

I don't mean to derail but maybe this will help: In Two Worlds 1 you just duct-tape all your weapons together to make super weapons and win the game.

I literally just ignore my wife and children and spend hours each day scrolling through the deals section because I'm a loser. My backlog is ENORMOUS. I'm halfway through the Bloody Baron questline in Witcher 3 that I got for 75% off like two years ago. I just clocked about 8 hours on Fallout 4 this weekend when I booted it up for the first time ever after nabbing it I think last Christmas?

I got Kingdoms of Amalur for like three dollars and played it for three minutes I need help.

So, to contribute, something one should know before playing Buy Stuff on Steam-Sale: Just don't do it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Assuming you mean the sprint trick, the thing is you want to let go of run before it runs out, not as it runs out. You're tempted to hold it down and let go right as it becomes empty, thinking that timing it right as it becomes empty will refill it, but that's way too late. If it turns red, you waited too long. You want to let go when its at like 4-1% of the bar. If you let go and it slowly fills up green, too early. If you let go and it fills up red, too late. If it instantly refills and you turn green, that was just right. Just takes practice and timing.

Oh and go into the options and turn on the stamina meter otherwise you're just guessing.

If you don't like how ugly the meter looks, the moment noctis lifts his head while sprinting is when you need to release. It's 100% accurate, although unlike the stamina gauge you won't know how close you are to him being tired so you have to watch Noctis closely.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I literally just ignore my wife and children and spend hours each day scrolling through the deals section because I'm a loser. My backlog is ENORMOUS. I'm halfway through the Bloody Baron questline in Witcher 3 that I got for 75% off like two years ago. I just clocked about 8 hours on Fallout 4 this weekend when I booted it up for the first time ever after nabbing it I think last Christmas?

I got Kingdoms of Amalur for like three dollars and played it for three minutes I need help.

So, to contribute, something one should know before playing Buy Stuff on Steam-Sale: Just don't do it.
On one hand, you sound remarkably like me; on the other, when I realized I was about 100 games behind in my playing queue, I basically stopped buying games entirely. Maybe you should try that??? I mean, if it is 90% off now, it will probably be 90% off again in five years when your backlog is only 1,000 games instead of 50,000.

I also propose you never buy games without endings if you can help it, since those are where you really get in trouble.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The new Master of Orion, including the DLC? I apologize if this is a repeat

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I just lost an hour of progress in FFXV so word of advice, the game does not autosave when you complete side quest. It only saves after important events and camps. Plan accordingly.

Also English Ignis has a pretty distressing death yell.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 6, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think it auto saves after fast traveling, too. But it's good advice not to rely on the autosave, especially when you can save anywhere that's not right next to enemies or in a dungeon.

Man, dungeon is such a dated term for, uh, "discrete gameplay area". I've seen sewers, mines, a few forests, and a cave. Nary a dungeon in sight.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

On one hand, you sound remarkably like me; on the other, when I realized I was about 100 games behind in my playing queue, I basically stopped buying games entirely. Maybe you should try that??? I mean, if it is 90% off now, it will probably be 90% off again in five years when your backlog is only 1,000 games instead of 50,000.

I also propose you never buy games without endings if you can help it, since those are where you really get in trouble.

HAH, my backlog is only 85 games now, this time last year it was over 100! In only 5years I shall have no more backlog!!!?!

they were mostly short games though so help

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

double nine posted:

HAH, my backlog is only 85 games now, this time last year it was over 100! In only 5years I shall have no more backlog!!!?!

they were mostly short games though so help

Look at this lucky son of a bitch who doesn't have a backlog of four recently-released 50-hour+ JRPG's :shepface:.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I think it auto saves after fast traveling, too. But it's good advice not to rely on the autosave, especially when you can save anywhere that's not right next to enemies or in a dungeon.

Man, dungeon is such a dated term for, uh, "discrete gameplay area". I've seen sewers, mines, a few forests, and a cave. Nary a dungeon in sight.

Yeah, we could use a different term for that.

Also, "level".

Because you can go to a level in a level to level.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

In MMOs they tend to use "instance" instead of dungeon, though you then run into problems with differentiating between a instanced dungeon and anything else that just happens to have its own instance server.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

when I was a kid my (lovely) friends made fun of me for calling large end-of-level enemies "bosses" because many of them aren't in a position of power

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look at this lucky son of a bitch who doesn't have a backlog of four recently-released 50-hour+ JRPG's :shepface:.

Cough

I have a list with all my games with average time to complete them. I don't need JRPGs for a backlog, scrub. (witcher 3 is also somewhere in that list. And witcher 3)

double nine fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 6, 2016

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Just want to shout out to this thread for the Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate entry on BeforeIPlay, super-helpful even to someone who's on his billionth Musou.

One thing that isn't really a "Before I Play" but cool to know: Save data is cross-play from PS3 WO3 to PS4 WO3U, and DLC is/was cross-buy. Plus a bunch of the levels appear to just be...straight up free on PSN, so go nuts.

Also-also, a thing that you may not know if you only played WO3: WO3 for the PS3 was PSN-only because of weird Sony no-disc-for-JA-V/O restrictions, but the PS4 version has a beautiful shiny disc you can get for ~$30 brand new on Amazon instead of waiting for the digital version on PSN to drop below $60.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

when I was a kid my (lovely) friends made fun of me for calling large end-of-level enemies "bosses" because many of them aren't in a position of power

My old housemate is a few years older than me and I always thought it was weird that he'd call stages or levels "boards". Looking back, it makes sense if you grew up with arcade cabinets that didn't have scrolling playfields, so it kind of looks like a board. Eat all the dots on one board, move to the next.

I can't think of a better term for set piece enemies or end of level encounters than "boss" and I'll be damned if I know why. That's something I'd be interested in finding the etymology for.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

"Boss", at least from the standpoint of a native language speaker, really is a fairly straight-forward way of explaining what you mean. Even if the big monster isn't truly the leader of anything or holding a position of power, it is the main threat of the area or the main objective, etc. A giant dragon may not actually be giving orders to the other mindless mooks in the area, but it is definitely the main impediment to securing the area, so it holds the position of power in that regard.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Man, dungeon was used to refer to non-dungeon places since Dungeons and Dragons. Everything's a dungeon if you're in it, killing poo poo and taking their stuff.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I am already in the dungeon every day. The dungeon is called ideology

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

Cough

I have a list with all my games with average time to complete them. I don't need JRPGs for a backlog, scrub. (witcher 3 is also somewhere in that list. And witcher 3)
there's no way the Geneforges will take 70 hours, more like 20-30 hours each for a thorough playthrough

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

there's no way the Geneforges will take 70 hours, more like 20-30 hours each for a thorough playthrough

A bunch of those seem overshooting it, I'm the world's slowest video game player and I completed Wasteland 2 DC pretty much 100% in about 65 hours. I don't think BG2 or the Neverwinter Nights games take that long either, even with the expansions.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mover posted:

I am already in the dungeon every day. The dungeon is called ideology

Leftists have hitherto only dirtied with dust the boss's of those in power, the point is to cut them off.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

my thorough research consisted of looking up those titles on howlongtobeat, it's entirely possible that that site overestimates the games but I need something of a benchmark to estimate if X is a 10 hour game or a 40 hour game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

double nine posted:

my thorough research consisted of looking up those titles on howlongtobeat, it's entirely possible that that site overestimates the games but I need something of a benchmark to estimate if X is a 10 hour game or a 40 hour game
fair enough. I usually find it a decent benchmark generally as well, but having played 4 out of the 5 games, they were all within the 20-25 hour range and I'm a fairly slow player

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Zaodai posted:

In MMOs they tend to use "instance" instead of dungeon, though you then run into problems with differentiating between a instanced dungeon and anything else that just happens to have its own instance server.

Instance doesn't really seem right for single-player because the whole game is instanced in that sense.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

double nine posted:

Friend, you do not need to fret over spending 300 hours mastering Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. Why don't you play the games that are fun and maybe just dabble in the rest? I'm cracking up thinking that you're trying to find 50 hours to finally finish dated city builder Zeus, then follow it up with another 50 hours of Poseidon. Delete that list and find the fun.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

"I can't start playing around in my virtual theme park until I have a baseline for how long it will take to complete all the campaign missions and thoroughly experiment in sandbox mode. Then, and only then, can I even begin the arduous process of playing the game to finally remove it from these weighty chains I call 'backlog.' Woe unto me, for gaming is my calling and my curse."

I'm busting your chops but come on. Don't be a slave to the list.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Lobok posted:

Instance doesn't really seem right for single-player because the whole game is instanced in that sense.

I agree, but people who are complaining that "Dungeon" doesn't fit because it's a sewer, or a forest, or an overrun police station are kind of grasping at straws as it is. Dungeon already conveys what you mean in most contexts, we don't always need a new word just because the old one got grandfathered in.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lobok posted:

This kind of seems like an argument for the sake of arguing :shobon:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This kind of seems like an argument for the sake of arguing :shobon:

I thought we were all having a very tame and non-confrontational chat about some game terms. Back to posting about game tips, then.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Zaodai posted:

"Boss", at least from the standpoint of a native language speaker, really is a fairly straight-forward way of explaining what you mean. Even if the big monster isn't truly the leader of anything or holding a position of power, it is the main threat of the area or the main objective, etc. A giant dragon may not actually be giving orders to the other mindless mooks in the area, but it is definitely the main impediment to securing the area, so it holds the position of power in that regard.
I call them sub-boss. I never did like Mid-Boss and then finally met a character called Mid-Boss, who had a real name.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lobok posted:

Its a matter of perspective but its all arguing semantics. I'd say it isn't an instance since its not connected to some persistent world, its just local. For an instance to make sense you have to be in a multiplayer context. But I see where you're coming from.

Ultimately "Instance" should just mean partitioned spaces in a shared online world, while partitioned servers are called "shards".

People calling single player dungeons instances should stop, they're dungeons. But I can see where people saying "lets do this instance" in WoW for years would make them use that by default.

Zaodai posted:

I agree, but people who are complaining that "Dungeon" doesn't fit because it's a sewer, or a forest, or an overrun police station are kind of grasping at straws as it is. Dungeon already conveys what you mean in most contexts, we don't always need a new word just because the old one got grandfathered in.

This is also a fair point though.

Lobok posted:

Because you can go to a level in a level to level.

Hey dude lets play this new map I just downloaded where you go looking for a treasure map

Truman Sticks
Nov 2, 2011
I wandered into a mine in the early hours of FFXV that was full of level 7 goblins, so I figured I was safe to explore. Then I made it to the bottom of the mineshaft, where there is a level 52 boss. You can't use ladders while in combat, so I had no way to go back up the way I came, so I had to just reset. Lost about an hour. So yeah, save often.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Recommended Level: 8"

yeah good thing the area is swarming with level 27 enemies that are technically not part of the sidequest

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
I've also imposed a hard ban on buying new games unless they get glowing reviews. I'll just put them in my wishlist and check it whenever there's a sale on to see if there are any good deals. This also avoids the day 1 technical issues that plague some titles. Better to come back in a few months to see if the most glaring issues have been fixed.

Barudak posted:

If you don't like how ugly the meter looks, the moment noctis lifts his head while sprinting is when you need to release. It's 100% accurate, although unlike the stamina gauge you won't know how close you are to him being tired so you have to watch Noctis closely.

Just get on the loving Chocobo. :argh:
Also stamina is used for more than sprinting, like hanging off warp-points, so disabling the meter seems like a bad idea.
I'll try to write some more FF15 tips once I'm done with it, which should be later this week.

Truman Sticks posted:

I wandered into a mine in the early hours of FFXV that was full of level 7 goblins, so I figured I was safe to explore. Then I made it to the bottom of the mineshaft, where there is a level 52 boss. You can't use ladders while in combat, so I had no way to go back up the way I came, so I had to just reset. Lost about an hour. So yeah, save often.

To be fair the quest you get for finishing that dungeon is level 50.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Foxhound posted:

To be fair the quest you get for finishing that dungeon is level 50.

Dude it was a mineshaft, come on.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Truman Sticks posted:

Things you should know before playing FF15:
Menu -> Map -> Return to Dungeon Entrance.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Were your friends William(s) Safire?

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
FFXV, I'm overleveled for some of these hunts and still getting my poo poo pushed in. I just don't think I understand combat very well. Can someone make a "how to play like a 5 year old" explanation of the combat?

Also, I'm like level 22 with all characters, but have only changed weapons once. I feel like I'm missing something there too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm finally going to jump into Path of Exile. I have little experience with games like this, aside from playing through Diablo 3 once (post item store being shut down). Also, I'm most likely going to be playing it single player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Game is super complicated and its probably best to ask the main thread questions as you think of them while playing: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754959

There are like a million things to learn, but I think this overview from the POE wiki sums up a lot of beginner stuff nicely, especially if you're coming from a D3 background: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Diablo_Player%27s_Guide_to_Path_of_Exile

Main thing for starting right now is make sure you create your character in the Breach Softcore League.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 7, 2016