Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Han looked super hosed up in a lot of the NJO book covers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

NJO covers don't look too bad excepting Jedi Eclipse and The Final Prophecy. The first has badly painted Han with a doofy face, the second has the worst rendering of Tahiri I've ever seen.

LOTF books have the worst covers which is fitting since they're also the worst books.

I just realized the first FOTJ book came out almost 8 years ago. I feel like we were just bitching about it yesterday.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 7, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hard to believe isn't it? God things got stupid after the bug nest orgies. Lotf was actually the series that got me to stop buying any book just because it had the star wars logo on it. I had fooled myself into thinking they were good, but even I won't forgive molestation plus torture via tahiri and then backtrack by the end of the novel to make her innocent.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 7, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The last new Star Wars book I read was Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor, which was also out in 2008. I think I got the hardcover of that for my birthday.

Still, not quite as big a deal for me as the realisation recently that in about six months (late June next year, I think) we will reach the 20 year anniversary (seriously) of the release of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. My mum buying me that book when I was six is this abiding childhood memory of mine. :aaaaa:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's a pretty great, "Oh, for God's sake," expression on Luke there.

I like to imagine the Bantam era Luke just getting increasingly exasperated by all the stupid stuff he has to put up with until he finally snaps and joins up with Palpatine's clone.

I actually think this is after he joins with Palpatine's clone and comes back. The Jedi Academy trilogy takes place immediately after Dark Empire, so much so that it starts with the rebuilding of Coruscant.

So it's more, "I should have stayed with Bowie Sheev Sheeev."

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

So it's more, "I should have stayed with Bowie Sheev Sheeev."
For some reason this post made me imagine Palpatine singing DarkBlack Star by Bowie and it made my day.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Toplowtech posted:

For some reason this post made me imagine Palpatine singing DarkBlack Death Star by Bowie and it made my day.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Toplowtech posted:

For some reason this post made me imagine Palpatine singing DarkBlack Star by Bowie and it made my day.

Ensign_Ricky made the observation originally in the Let's Read thread, but, I mean...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone notice the Ghost from Rebels in the new China trailer? I'm impressed that from the few short snippets in the trailers so far, the space battle looks miles better than the dogfight in Force Awakens.

I was actually pretty let down by Force Awakens ship combat. Not enough of it, and really only two standout shots (the tracking shot of Poe's multikill, and the one where the X-Wing barrels down on the Tie Fighter pushing it to the deck before knocking it out)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Ensign_Ricky made the observation originally in the Let's Read thread, but, I mean...

Hmmmmmm.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Good old Emperor Bowietine.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

So how many clones of Sheev did there end up being, anyway? Was there some poor jerk running around named Sheeeeeeeeev?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jazerus posted:

So how many clones of Sheev did there end up being, anyway? Was there some poor jerk running around named Sheeeeeeeeev?

Just two, there was a scare for like a 3rd but it was a Hologram being operated by some sort of Imperial Guard splinter group. Man those comics were something.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hard to believe isn't it? God things got stupid after the bug nest orgies. Lotf was actually the series that got me to stop buying any book just because it had the star wars logo on it. I had fooled myself into thinking they were good, but even I won't forgive molestation plus torture via tahiri and then backtrack by the end of the novel to make her innocent.

:same:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Anyone notice the Ghost from Rebels in the new China trailer? I'm impressed that from the few short snippets in the trailers so far, the space battle looks miles better than the dogfight in Force Awakens.

I was actually pretty let down by Force Awakens ship combat. Not enough of it, and really only two standout shots (the tracking shot of Poe's multikill, and the one where the X-Wing barrels down on the Tie Fighter pushing it to the deck before knocking it out)

TFA was the first Star Wars movie with no actual space battles, wasn't it? I guess unless you count the star destroyer shooting down Poe's stolen TIE fighter.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just two, there was a scare for like a 3rd but it was a Hologram being operated by some sort of Imperial Guard splinter group. Man those comics were something.

Shattered Empire was just super boring and also lacked a plotline, which is an impressive feat for a four issue comic.

The Poe Dameron comic at least has been decent, though the last issue I read (maybe the second most recent one released now) with the space reporter just screamed 'filler'.

I honestly think my favorite of the new Marvel comics was the Threepio one-shot. A rare take on Threepio and droids in general, with some Moebius-esque art.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I rewatched Attack of the Clones recently. Does anyone else think that Lucas's shot compositions become much better the less actual people are on the screen? Because the visuals for the Geonosis battle sequence, despite being almost fifteen years old, still hold up really well.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
http://xkcd.com/1769

Just gonna leave this here. Be sure to check the mouseover text.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That's lame.

It's like that scene on the death star in TFA where snooooooore

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jivjov how the gently caress does anything get discussed in the cinema discussio thread when you guys spend all day arguing semantics about super weapons and feudalism? Why subject yourself to that? The most in depth analysis I am looking at rogue one with is to compare the presentation of the full power galactic empire versus the terrorist style presentation of the first order

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 9, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe people are seeing feudalism in a movie series inspired by Feudal Japan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I can't believe people are seeing feudalism in a movie series inspired by Feudal Japan.

I didn't bring it up just so you could start rambling about it here. I just asked how anyone could stand it. I don't really *get* Cinema Discussio. You'd think we'd be the crazy obsessive ones with the giant book catalogue, but apparently not.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
There's plenty of legitimately interesting discussion and analysis in CD. However, it usually gets buried between page-long posts by CD regulars desperately stretching to make connections that don't exist or were never the intent of anyone involved in the production. It's an entire forum full of high-functioning autists with film degrees.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I didn't bring it up just so you could start rambling about it here.

You did.

Star Wars is a naively feudalist story where the universe revolves around aristocrats and their followers. It's pretty standard for fantasy, which is why it's odd whenever someone stumbles into the CD thread and starts talking about how the movies show no system of tenant farming.

I stand it by just doing something that's not bothersome, like reading another thread instead.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There's plenty of legitimately interesting discussion and analysis in CD. However, it usually gets buried between page-long posts by CD regulars desperately stretching to make connections that don't exist or were never the intent of anyone involved in the production. It's an entire forum full of high-functioning autists with film degrees.

Dude have you not read Plato's Ion?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 9, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
DIdn't realize I need to read Plato to understand space shootmans.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Arcsquad12 posted:

You don't, Star Wars isn't based on any feudal system I have ever read about.

Though fuedalism in itself is a catch all term that is actually vastly different per area.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Arcsquad12 posted:

So many words could be spared about death stars if jivjov studied the Theory of Forms.

CharlestheHammer posted:

You don't, Star Wars isn't based on any feudal system I have ever read about.

Though fuedalism in itself is a catch all term that is actually vastly different per area.

At its core feudalism is about the relationship between a ruler and a subject. Star Wars is about aristocrats and their followers: knights, princesses, farmboys, and serviles. But it's naive, as opposed to something like The Hidden Fortress, which is very forthright about its feudal themes.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 10, 2016

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
CD is good and helped me understand why I like the way some movies look better than others. For example, this explanation of why Empire looks better than Jedi is something I never could have done on my own, which might lead me to call it 'overthinking' — except it's true and good!

You can just scroll past the conversations you don't enjoy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

General Battuta posted:

CD is good and helped me understand why I like the way some movies look better than others. For example, this explanation of why Empire looks better than Jedi is something I never could have done on my own, which might lead me to call it 'overthinking' — except it's true and good!

This is what I mean. The kind of analysis you link to is great and interesting. It defines an aspect of the film in a well-documented manner and highlights something the average viewer probably recognized but couldn't specify. It's far better than the 15th pseudo-philosophical take on whether or not the droids are slaves and that's why there aren't any actual "good guys" in Star Wars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

Well with Jedi, you can make the argument that a lot of shots are very boring and take too long. I know several of the scouting scenes on Endor just seem to be people walking and dragging down the pacing. The best cinematography in Jedi definitely comes towards the finale, especially the final bout between Luke and Vader. And I've already talked about how the Endor space battle is one of the most mind bendingly insane achievements in model based animation ever created.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

pseudo-philosophical take on whether or not the droids are slaves

The best part is that when regular fans discuss the concept, they start arguing that it's not slavery and droids can't feel anything like us people anyway so it's okay.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
So, minus TFA, I hadn't watched any Star Wars movie since swearing off the old EU circa LotF/FotJ, but I recently started watching the OT with my 4yo son.

Boy, some of this poo poo still hits hard.

Can't wait to watch Rogue One.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Can't wait to watch Rogue One.

I'm so excited. 26 1/2 hours to go! I'm taking my 13 year old cousin to the midnight screening. I took him to TFA at midnight too. It's becoming a tradition, and that makes me happy.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

That was super good. A great movie, with a lot of little Easter eggs to spot, too. I certainly wouldn't call it perfect, but I will absolutely watch it again. And probably again.

Edit: Having read Catalyst didn't add a huge amount, but it also wasn't a huge waste of time.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 14, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Better than TFA?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I don't think I can answer that until I've seen it again. Or at least slept on it. It definitely nailed the aesthetic of the OT, though.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

That aesthetic includes the amazingly 70s facial hair of the alliance fighter command.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm hoping to see it on Friday for my birthday. Might make it, might not (can't really stay out late since I've got a really early start the next morning), but I'm looking forward to seeing it whenever I'm able to make it and I'm glad to hear it's good.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It doesn't release here (korea) until the 28th :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

astr0man posted:

It doesn't release here (korea) until the 28th :negative:

So what's the crappy local movie playing that Disney held the start date (Deadline mentioned this being the reason, just not the title)?