Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

curiousCat posted:

Speaking of this, ya'll noticed her weird dragon boa thing during the reunion, right?

yessssss, I loved it. I never though I could find a Christan missionary so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Spatula City posted:

yessssss, I loved it. I never though I could find a Christan missionary so cool.

You know that she's into dragons because they're an explanation for dinosaur bones for Christian cognitive dissonance, right?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That sounds like speculation, like i never saw her connect it to anything having to do with Christianity (be it the age of the earth or evolution or w/e)

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 21, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

less laughter posted:

None of his idol plays made any difference though.

They were sensible plays though. If Will hadn't flipped, Adam's alliance would have lost the majority. And he played it on the right target, too.

For his second play at F5, it was the last chance he had to use it, so there was no harm in using it on himself. It wasn't like he absolutely needed Bret since it would have been (and was) dumb for Hannah to flip and to divert the target.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

STAC Goat posted:

If there's one player I'd like to see get a "second chance" it would be Michelle. She seemed to have a good game head and flipped that first Millenial vote. She seemed to be in a strong position using Jay and FigTails as shields. The tribe swap left her alone on a tribe and just killed her game while the Millenials canibalized themselves. My big "what if?" of the season is what would have happened if Michelle had stayed in the game.

She's also batshit which is a great personality trait for Survivor. It's a shame the show didn't show it other than secret scenes.

Based on her pregame stuff, I was expecting to dislike her on a personal level but she ended up being very neutral.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Trying to keep expectations low for Season 34. The safe bet for these returning player seasons is to see the big names tragically taken out early and the people no one wants to see make it all the way to the end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

If there's one player I'd like to see get a "second chance" it would be Michelle. She seemed to have a good game head and flipped that first Millenial vote. She seemed to be in a strong position using Jay and FigTails as shields. The tribe swap left her alone on a tribe and just killed her game while the Millenials canibalized themselves. My big "what if?" of the season is what would have happened if Michelle had stayed in the game.

My big "what if?" would have been if David had never used that idol on Jessica. Would Ken and Lucy have been able to sway Adam in voting out Figgy? If she'd made it to the merge, would she have been able to shift the game any or just be taken to the end as an unlikable goat? Would she have had that black rock?

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

My big "what if?" would have been if David had never used that idol on Jessica. Would Ken and Lucy have been able to sway Adam in voting out Figgy? If she'd made it to the merge, would she have been able to shift the game any or just be taken to the end as an unlikable goat? Would she have had that black rock?

My big "what if" would be what happens if David used that idol on CeCe in the next episode. At the time I couldn't believe David let a loyal number slip through his fingers, especially since whatever majority he could cobble together at the merge would end up being a very slim majority. Sure enough, that's what happened. If CeCe was still in the game, would David's side have avoided going to rocks? If he could get her to the Final 4, is she willing to let David get to the firemaking challenge and potentially win the game? Or is an unbreakable foursome of CeCe/Ken/Jessica/David so threatening that they actually become earlier targets in the merge??

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Trying to keep expectations low for Season 34. The safe bet for these returning player seasons is to see the big names tragically taken out early and the people no one wants to see make it all the way to the end.

I'm certainly keeping my expectations on the lower side, but this only really happened in the first returnee season. 20 and 31 have plenty of big name players go very deep into the game, with 3 of the 4 returning winners in 20 making the merge!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If David had spared CeCe, Chris would have flipped on him way earlier.

Also Jay might not have crossed out Michaela so as to keep Millennial numbers strong, but you never know.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Only a few thoughts on this season from a guy who hasnt watched since season 3.

David was amazing and his change was fantastic. His fake Idol was amazing and wouldn't be surprised if there is a new rule made so you can't do that again.

Huge fan of Zeke and wish he lasted longer.

Great season overall might have to start watching again.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

That fake idol was a piece of art and is absolutely something they would want to encourage.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
The next step is someone finding a real idol and thinking its fake.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
you'd think the paper with the note would be the part where they go 'no you can't do that that must be included with real idols only' but he was allowed to do it so... man, people are gonna have to be careful. the idol itself was pretty well made but i think i still would have been skeptical until i saw the idol paper. at that point even i would have bit on it. it's pretty great how he made it by stealing parts from like the immunity necklace and torches and poo poo.

it's a real good thing he wasn't first voted out. then he'd just be remembered as some horrible first boot and no one would have known his potential. wonder if there are any other prior first boots that could have applied to.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

The thing with the fake idol is literally every idol this season was a claw. That should have been a big clue to Jay.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

patonthebach posted:

David was amazing and his change was fantastic. His fake Idol was amazing and wouldn't be surprised if there is a new rule made so you can't do that again.

There have been plenty of fake idols in previous seasons! They don't discourage them, because as you can see, they often make great TV!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
In fact, they encourage them. Some seasons have real idols that look like they could be made from whatever you pick up around camp.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I for one am appalled that the producers would allow the survivors to do something to make the show interesting and exciting.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Next thread isn't going to be made until late February, but what do you guys think for a title?

Survivor: Maybe five GAME CHANGERS mixed in with fuckers we didn't want to see again.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I've got a thread drafted up. I was thinking, Game Changers: maybe when you change the casting, you should also change the title.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Cool. I recommend saving the thread for at least a week before the first episode airs so we can grab some casual TV IV people with a shiny new thread close to airdate.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Thumb up. Thanks, goon bro.

In the meantime, we can refine that drat title. Everything about it is so bad.

The CBS one, I mean. Ours are great, but comedy options abound!

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

thexerox123 posted:

There have been plenty of fake idols in previous seasons! They don't discourage them, because as you can see, they often make great TV!

Sorry I havent watched in like 10 years. I thought this was actually one of the cleverest moves I saw this season and how David angled it towards surfer boy#2 worked amazingly. I just assumed theyd make a new rule banning it because wouldnt like 5 or 8 people all make fake idols next season and it turn into a cluster.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't think fake idols have ever worked as well as David's. He was pretty clever about it.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

patonthebach posted:

wouldnt like 5 or 8 people all make fake idols next season and it turn into a cluster.

That would be amazing.

I think if this changes anything, it'll be whether they go back to this method of distributing idols by drawing attention to them.

But hopefully they go back to what they tried a couple of seasons ago, which was hiding idols in the midst of a challenge, because that was great.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 29, 2016

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

David's play could only ever be convincing with the idol instructions he was able to put in there from the legit idols he found. This limits "fake idols everywhere!!!" hijinks, because only people who've at least found an idol can really contemplate the fake idol play.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yes this narrows it down to only 5 or 6 fake idols per season!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Isn't the highest number of fake idols in a season so far just 2? And in that season, neither one was actually played?

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
"It's a loving stick!"

"But it has a face on it..."

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
David's idol was amazing and brilliant

but The Stick conversation is easily the funniest thing ever to happen on this show.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

patonthebach posted:

His fake Idol was amazing and wouldn't be surprised if there is a new rule made so you can't do that again.

Per haps you should watch some of the 30 seasons in between

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
If you don't have instructions then the right play of a fake idol is to make it look like it spilled out of your bag in a desperate situation.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Met posted:

I don't think fake idols have ever worked as well as David's. He was pretty clever about it.

Getting Randy to play a fake idol in Gabon worked really well, because the goal was to clown Randy rather than pull off any meaningful strategic move

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Fake idols are fun TV but ultimately not that useful strategically.

As a plant to fool someone (like David's this season or the one Bob gave Randy in Gabon), it's mostly just useful in preventing that person from continuing to search until they find a real idol. I guess the overconfidence the mark gets can be useful, but most players are still going to scheme and try to save themselves even if they think they have an idol.

As a bartering chip (like the one Joe gave Mike in Worlds Apart), it's kind of completely useless because the person accepting the fake idol has no reason to actually keep their end of the bargain. It's also a really bad bluff because why would someone in the minority give someone in the majority a real idol just for the possibility of the majority's mercy for the week, when it makes just as much sense to use the idol to guarantee safety and then try to find it again after it is re-hidden. I would say "no one in their right mind would do that with a real idol," but then again Marty actually did that in Nicaragua... Marty was a bad player.

And as a bluff to pretend a fake idol you created is real to prevent others from voting for you, it's pretty hard to pull off successfully because even if the majority alliance believes the idol is real they can probably just split the vote and get you out anyway. If they don't have a big enough majority to split votes, then the fake idol *might* buy you a week or two of safety but probably not much more than that because why work with the person that is either sitting or an idol or constructed an elaborate fake idol ruse?

And in all these scenarios, the small gain you get is probably outweighed by all the ways the plan can go wrong. What if, for instance, Jay had shown his fake idol to Bret, Hannah, and Adam, and they panicked so much that they switched the vote to David to avoid the idol that they think is real (this would have been awesome by the way)? Or what if the fake idol you are using as a bluff to save yourself just makes you a bigger target? Not to mention the fake idols take time and energy to create (David said he was up all night making his), and if you get caught you might become public enemy number one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Parity warning posted:

Per haps you should watch some of the 30 seasons in between

Hey you. gently caress off.

It's pretty cool having new people get into this show and thread. You don't need to be a dick to them.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
A fake idol is useful in that whoever finds it is thrown off your scent, especially if you include the note and everything. Most players should presume the one-idol-per-camp rule by now, so if they find it, it means that you don't have it. That's priceless.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
I liked Survivor China's idol, something hidden in plain site on a crate etc as something to revisit but presumably people just tear off evgerything like that off reward items to check these days.

http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Hidden_Immunity_Idol?file=S15_HII.jpg

Problem with idols is they look too good, not sure how you get around that because no one in later seasons is really buying into the fakes(imo).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You make the real ones look fake.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Teckiwi posted:

I liked Survivor China's idol, something hidden in plain site on a crate etc as something to revisit but presumably people just tear off evgerything like that off reward items to check these days.

http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Hidden_Immunity_Idol?file=S15_HII.jpg

Problem with idols is they look too good, not sure how you get around that because no one in later seasons is really buying into the fakes(imo).

They did this in Philippines with the lids of the rice boxes, then in San Juan del Sur, Dale tried to pass off something similar as a fake idol but nobody bought it.

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Met posted:

Hey you. gently caress off.

It's pretty cool having new people get into this show and thread. You don't need to be a dick to them.

This is an overreaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Parity warning posted:

This is an overreaction

If it were an overreaction, other people in the thread would have said so.

• Locked thread