Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Why would a player waive his NMC? Presumably they want the NMC for situations exactly like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Columbus is exactly the kind of team that gets smothered by playoff style hockey and everyone not paying attention looks for who to blame.

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Mike_V posted:

Why would a player waive his NMC? Presumably they want the NMC for situations exactly like this.

I was more thinking about when the Hawks did this before (Campbell to Florida and Sharp to the Stars), but I forgot that in those two cases they were on no-trade clauses, which I believe are far less restrictive. Even then, I don't quite recall why Campbell agreed to it. in Sharp's case there were some pretty sordid rumors about him alienating some of his teammates after allegedly sleeping with Duncan Keith's wife, but who knows if that's true.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

DJExile posted:

They're definitely on a streak and are going to cool off but unlike last year's Stars, this year's Jackets don't have trash goaltending, and seem to have serviceable-at-worst defense.

Stars' defense last year was more than serviceable.

My suggestion to NHL GM's would be don't let 2 of your top 3 defencemen leave and replace them with an over-the-hill defense first veteran.

I was looking into the Stars' players ice time at 5 on 5 this year, and the top 5 was very interesting.. #1 and #2 are obviously Tyler Seguin and Jamie Benn, which is as you'd expect (and hope for as a Dallas fan), numbers 3 through 5 look kind of suspicious to me.. You got Radek Faksa, Antoine Roussel, and Lauri Korpikoski as your other top ice time forwards at even strength.

Now nothing against Roussel and Faksa, they are proven depth players who put up great possession numbers.. the kind of guys any team would benefit having on their 3rd line. Korpikoski on the other hand is trash that the worst organization in the league bought out.

I think that stat is the best insight into the Stars struggles this year.. there's simply too many minutes going to depth players and AHL types at the moment. For as much as Benn and Seguin have really struggled scoring at even strength, the team needs to address the extreme shortage of contributing (healthy) talent at forward first.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

the talent deficit posted:

how are trevor linden, jim benning, john weisbrod and william desjardins still employed?

Because God is great.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

that's ken holland's music

Kenny has no cap space again, somehow

Weird

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)

CBJSprague24 posted:

The big hole last year was on D. Adding Werenski and Jones has made the D stout, and it doesn't hurt that they're not even the best pair right now. The evolution of the "best defenseman" title has been fascinating. It was Wisniewski before JMFJ was picked up and we went "Wow, we have Jack Johnson!". Then it was Ryan Murray, then Seth Jones. Now it's either Jones or Werenski, and Murray is on the third pair; he hasn't been spectacular, but he hasn't had to be.

Also yes, this is extremely helpful. Seth Jones is a loving rock (except when he makes a stupid pass), and Werenski gets better every day. That main pair has been able to take on almost anyone this year, and roll 25 minutes.
Jack Mother loving Johnson / David Savard are a bad pair on the first, but they are excelling on the second. Its basically that JMFJ is good but slow, and Savard is piggy-backing him back into relevance, but who cares, they get the 2nd pair job done.
Sucks for Murray that he got demoted to the 3rd pair, but hes proving to be quite effective on the backend with a guy who literally doesnt know English in Nutella.

Bob is playing his loving rear end off, every single jacket is contributing on goals. I think so far in the 13 game win streak, 10 different people have scored the game winner. Thats some loving depth.

credit to @ChartingHockey :

Our stats are super loving inflated, but we are also leader in goal diff, which is just not a thing that should be happening.

Lobsterboy fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 29, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mike_V posted:

If for example they wanted to live and play in Vegas.

If they waive for the expansion does the NMC get waived for good or would Vegas need to honor their original NMC?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lobsterboy posted:

Our stats are super loving inflated, but we are also leader in goal diff, which is just not a thing that should be happening.

ooooh this is neat

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Lobsterboy posted:

Also yes, this is extremely helpful. Seth Jones is a loving rock (except when he makes a stupid pass), and Werenski gets better every day. That main pair has been able to take on almost anyone this year, and roll 25 minutes.
Jack Mother loving Johnson / David Savard are a bad pair on the first, but they are excelling on the second. Its basically that JMFJ is good but slow, and Savard is piggy-backing him back into relevance, but who cares, they get the 2nd pair job done.
Sucks for Murray that he got demoted to the 3rd pair, but hes proving to be quite effective on the backend with a guy who literally doesnt know English in Nutella.

Bob is playing his loving rear end off, every single jacket is contributing on goals. I think so far in the 13 game win streak, 10 different people have scored the game winner. Thats some loving depth.

lmao Isles are poo poo and they have a >100 PDO.

Fire Jack Capuano. For the love of loving god, please.

If Capuano is fired by February 6th, I'll use a mini brand (<2" dia) to brand myself with an islanders logo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

If Capuano is fired by February 6th, I'll use a mini brand (<2" dia) to brand myself with an islanders logo

there are toxxes and then there are toxxes :stare:

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

DJExile posted:

ooooh this is neat

This is SUPER neat:

https://twitter.com/datarink/status/786386721315299328

datarink does some loving awesome graphics involving shots.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

CBJSprague24 posted:

2014-15. I went to a Sens/CBJ game in which I think they had 9 NHL regulars. Hartnell, Johansen, Savard, McElhinney, a couple others, and 11 AHLers.

I was at this game:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/201410310CBJ.html

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lobsterboy posted:

This is SUPER neat:

https://twitter.com/datarink/status/786386721315299328

datarink does some loving awesome graphics involving shots.

holy poo poo :stare:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Which position did you play?

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

DJExile posted:

holy poo poo :stare:

https://twitter.com/datarink/status/794724750497030145

:haw:

edit: Fun trivia, Bob and the big Cubano both had 30 saves. CBJ just had 40 shots.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahaha i was about to go looking for that game

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Aphrodite posted:

Which position did you play?

Drunk in front of the 4 mounties and 4 horses in the nosebleeds.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jordan7hm posted:

If for example they wanted to live and play in Vegas.

If they waive for the expansion does the NMC get waived for good or would Vegas need to honor their original NMC?

I am pretty certain that if a player waives their NMC/NTC clause at any point that it is voided forever.

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Hey guys, Mike Milbury doesn't like Steve Mason

Did you know that? I don't think he's ever mentioned anything about it

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

glynnenstein posted:

I am pretty certain that if a player waives their NMC/NTC clause at any point that it is voided forever.

Which surprises me that an agent hasn't worked in 29 no trade clauses into their contracts.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Krime posted:

Which surprises me that an agent hasn't worked in 29 no trade clauses into their contracts.

Hey an agent worked in a retroactive no trade clause... anything is possible!

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

You know, I wonder if the Pens could toss Maatta in as a sweetener with MAF. He's been... underwhelming these past couple seasons.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Cool and good hockey kids prevail again. Matthews, Nylander, and Marner getting their goals. Hockey is fun again.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

https://twitter.com/JMackeyPG/status/814305393526657024

aaaaaaaannnnnd there it is

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just got home to watch Habs lose, but at least pick up loser point.

Going back to CBJ -- I think the best case scenario here is that they make a run in the playoffs and boost attendance numbers for next season. Put together a good winning team and the fans will start to turn out. Looks like it's working so far.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Way to break your wonderkid. This is why we can't have nice things.

.Spec
Oct 4, 2001

Look Around You posted:

You know, I wonder if the Pens could toss Maatta in as a sweetener with MAF. He's been... underwhelming these past couple seasons.

That's two players and $10 million in cap space. Good luck finding that team.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

.Spec posted:

That's two players and $10 million in cap space. Good luck finding that team.

True. I'd keep salary on Fleury in a heartbeat though.

e: Kinda forgot maatta was making 4m/year

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Just got home to watch Habs lose, but at least pick up loser point.

Going back to CBJ -- I think the best case scenario here is that they make a run in the playoffs and boost attendance numbers for next season. Put together a good winning team and the fans will start to turn out. Looks like it's working so far.

Conveniently, cbj has sold out for 3 straight games (pittsburgh of course, montreal was a surprise, boston not so much), but its been a completely different atmosphere in the arena. One of our regular section ushers was telling me that he is still trying to get a handle on this streak. Hes been working at Nationwide for *ELEVEN* years. Hes suffered a lot.

edit: apparently thats the first time we have sold out 3 games in a row at NWA since 2007 (regular season). dang.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Look Around You posted:

True. I'd keep salary on Fleury in a heartbeat though.

e: Kinda forgot maatta was making 4m/year

Jacques Martin said he thinks the follow-up drugs from Maatta's cancer treatment were slowing him down. He's been better lately. Hopefully he continues to improve. He's only 22.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

N: It was 3-1

V: Price should kill Therrien.

onemillionzombies
Apr 27, 2014

CBJ are a mediocre hockey team.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Lobsterboy posted:

https://twitter.com/datarink/status/794724750497030145

:haw:

edit: Fun trivia, Bob and the big Cubano both had 30 saves. CBJ just had 40 shots.

If only those were actual lasers fired (at Therrien)

Shawn Cotureier
Jan 21, 2009

Still better than Umberger
Flyera had a Bad Game, imagine a defense featuring Andrew MacDonald and Nick Schultz looking like crap

Raffl/Read/Streit (I can't believe I just typed that) please hurry back

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Zodijackylite posted:

How the hell does Scott Hartnell have 22 points while playing 12 minutes a night? Even more unusual, he's gotten a lot of PP time (~50m) but only has 2 PPP. He's got 20 even-strength points in under 11m ESTOI per game. That's pretty drat impressive. I guess that forward depth thing is really working out for CBJ, and Hartnell's getting older so the lighter deployments are for the best.

He's been on a line with Sam Gagner most of the season, who has been piling up points.

JoelJoel posted:

Jackets remind me of Dallas last season.

What's interesting about this is I thought the two teams last year were built in similar ways in that they had lots of scoring forwards, iffy D, with the difference being the Jackets having Bob- it just failed spectacularly for Columbus, in part because Bob was awful to start last season.

dominator posted:

All the other beat writers have confirmed it but nobody has terms yet. Interested to see what cap shenanigans they get up to next.

Somebody's going into escrow with the Fancy Cats.

Boll, Chaput, Collins, Cracknell, Erixon, Prout, Skille, Tropp, and a not-very-good-at-the-time Wennberg with McBackup in net.

Yeah, this is a textbook example as to why Jackets did squat in the first half of 2014-15, because ^that's^ gonna win you some hockey games.

Lobsterboy posted:

Conveniently, cbj has sold out for 3 straight games (pittsburgh of course, montreal was a surprise, boston not so much), but its been a completely different atmosphere in the arena. One of our regular section ushers was telling me that he is still trying to get a handle on this streak. Hes been working at Nationwide for *ELEVEN* years. Hes suffered a lot.

edit: apparently thats the first time we have sold out 3 games in a row at NWA since 2007 (regular season). dang.

You're right about the atmosphere. The Pittsburgh game was fun as hell in person. I was surprised at the Bruins sellout. StubHub was $67 to get in the door three days out, which happens if it's a) a regional team or b) the playoffs.

I wonder what was going on in that stretch in 2007-08- might have been around the time they first showed a flicker of being competent.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 29, 2016

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stretch Marx posted:

Cool and good hockey kids prevail again. Matthews, Nylander, and Marner getting their goals. Hockey is fun again.

I enjoyed watching the first two periods on a slight delay, skipping commercials and intermissions. So much faster than watching it live.

Then NHL.tv had a stream error and when I resumed, it skipped ahead to 1:14 left in OT. I mean I only missed the Panthers tying the game with two goals but what the gently caress?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

flyers looked suuuuper rusty last night, woof.

please just bury amac back in the minors again

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

man i'm glad the pens had a hot start to this season bc i have a feeling the next few weeks are gonna be ruff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

DJExile posted:

flyers looked suuuuper rusty last night, woof.

please just bury amac back in the minors again

I missed the third period then saw the score right at the end. fire hakstol imo

• Locked thread